Close on the heels of the latest Nintendo Direct, an update for the Switch is now available. Nintendo of America recently tweeted System Update Version 5.0.0 can be downloaded, bringing with it a variety of new and improved features. While the update doesn’t introduce anything groundbreaking, there are some nice quality of life additions.
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
Remember, if your console is connected to the internet, the update should download automatically. After that, be sure to install it.
I’d also like to note Nintendo’s website says the update fixes an issue that causes your play time for a game to display incorrectly, which was previously a concern. Rejoice, for the hundreds of hours you’ve spent in Breath of the Wild will once again be visible to your friends!