A new mod for the Super Smash Bros. series seems to be making the rounds online. Those savvy about competitive Smash.are probably familiar with the Project M mod for Brawl, and it seems that this new mod for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U has a similar premise in mind. For the uninitiated, Project M was a mod that aimed to make Brawl more competitively viable and fast-paced in the same vein as Melee. It included character balances and additions, new costumes, and changes to various stages, among other things.
This new mod, dubbed Super Smash Bros: Reloaded seemingly strives to accomplish many of the same things as Project M, however, Reloaded creator and modder Y.2.K has stressed that the mod is not meant to be a spiritual successor to Project M. He has stated that “This is simply a mod that I want to do to express myself and show off what I can do to the community.”
Below is a list of both the current additions to the original game:
- A custom title screen.
- A stage called “Space Battlefield” by A Jewel of Rarity. Y.2.K says that “it’s normal battlefield, but in SPAAAAAAAACE!”
- “Hazardless” versions of stages Midgar, Jungle Hijinks,, DreamLand 64, Castle Siege, Hyrule Castle 64 and Norfair by Drake Blight (Y.2.K warns that the latter stage currently has some bugs to work out).
These are additions planned for the future:
- One custom costume for every character.
- A custom and more clean user interface.
- Improvements in menu functionality.
- A “tournament-legal Big Battlefield”.
- More “hazardless”/”legal” versions of stages.
- Custom music and sounds.
- A custom announcer, and more.
The latest update for Super Smash Bros: Reloaded also makes it playable in Europe. If you’re at all curious about the mod, you can check it out over on GameBanana.
Do you see yourself giving this mod a try now or in the near future?