It’s award season and the video gamer in all of us didn’t want to get left out in the cold. The fifteenth annual National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers pays tribute to the best in video game art and production the world has to offer. It wouldn’t be a real award show without honorary award recipients. This year’s honorary NAVGTR winners are Toru Iwatani (creator of Pac-Man) and Mark DeLoura, for developing programs for children to explore coding.
The previous year saw Nintendo deal with the sudden loss of President Satoru Iwata, and it’s good to see the company bounce back with eighteen nominations, including game of the year nominee, Splatoon. Not much was expected from Splatoon when it was first announced at E3 a few years back. Since then, the property has inked its way to the top of the charts and could be the NAVGTR game of the year, even though it has some stiff competition.
Majora’s Mask was nominated for three awards
Not to be outdone, Majora’s Mask was nominated for three awards under the following categories: “Control Design 3D”, “Original Light Mix Score, Franchise”, and “Game Classic Revival”.
The rest of Nintendo’s award nominees can be found below:
- Splatoon: “Game of the Year”, “Control Design 3D”, “Game Design, New IP”, “Game, Original/Family”
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: “Animation, Artistic”
- Yoshi’s Woolly World: “Art Direction, Fantasy”, “Game, franchise/family”
- Super Mario Maker: “Control Design 2D/Limited 3D”, “Game Engineering”, “Use of Sound, Franchise”, “Game, Franchise/Family”
- Xenoblade Chronicles X: “Performance in Comedy (Supporting)” (Chris Cason as “Tatsu”)
- Super Smash Bros For Wii U: “Game, eSports”
The NAVGTR winners will be announced on March 21.