Nintendo of America is finally releasing new details about Skyward Sword, enlightening us about abilities, creatures, temples, and items! In case anyone is refusing to know any of that information before they play the game, I’ll put everything behind the spoiler barrier.
Continue for info and videos.
The first video we have is a trailer previewing an ability called dowsing, where Link can point his sword in first person view to find things, even cute fuzzy animals that are hiding.
The second video is a trailer for the officially dubbed Skyview Temple; the temple we’ve seen many times now. There’s nothing much that we haven’t seen before, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Lastly, Nintendo has released some tidbits about the game:
• Faron Woods and Skyview Temple: The forest is the first location Link visits after leaving Skyloft, an island world suspended high in the sky. The people of Skyloft have never been to the surface, so this stage marks a strange new experience for Link. Traversing the forest leads him to Skyview Temple, where Zelda may be held.
• Dashing: By holding down the A Button, players can make Link run faster and grant him acrobatic abilities, such as the ability to briefly run up a sheer wall to grab onto a cliff. Dashing uses up some of Link’s endurance, which replenishes itself over time once Link stops running. Certain powerful attacks, like the spin attack, also use up endurance. When all of Link’s endurance is used up, his movement is slowed dramatically for a few moments.
• Dowsing: Fi, the spirit of the powerful Goddess Sword and Link’s guide, informs Link that he can use the sword to search for things through dowsing. In dowsing mode, when Link holds out his sword, the sword will beep and provide visual feedback when pointed in the direction of the intended target. This technique can be used to search for many objects and characters in the game. In Faron Woods, Link uses it to search for Zelda, guiding him to Skyview Temple, where Zelda’s aura can be detected.
• Kikwi Tribe: The Kikwis are cute, fuzzy creatures that Link encounters while exploring the forest, resembling a kiwi fruit in animal form. Link can search for the Kikwis in the forest using dowsing. In return, they will help him on his search for Zelda.
• Slingshot: This is one of the first items that Link receives in the game. While it’s not very powerful, it can be used to stun enemies and activate objects in the environment. As with many items in the game, players aim the slingshot by moving the Wii Remote™ Plus.
What are your thoughts? Just how cute are those Kikwi things? What kind of items can we find using dowsing? Why do we always start with a slingshot?