One of the many exciting announcements from today’s Nintendo Direct was the addition of multiple new Assist Trophies, the helpful items that are used to summon characters at random to defeat your opponents. This time around you’ll want to beware, however, as they can now also be KO’ed which will add to the summoner’s KO count!
Below is a list of the 12 new Assist Trophies announced during the Direct.
- Alucard from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Zero from Mega Man X
- Knuckles from Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- Krystal from Star Fox Adventures
- Klaptrap from Donkey Kong Country
- Kapp’n from Animal Crossing
- Chef Kawasaki from Kirby Super Star
- Gray Fox from Metal Gear Solid
- Nikki from Swapnote
- Shovel Knight from Shovel Knight
- Moon from Majora’s Mask
- Rathalos from Monster Hunter
You can see them all in action below at the 21:33 mark.
While some of these characters make for perfect Assist Trophies, I was looking forward to being able to join the fray as Knuckles or Zero. However, with these characters being Assist Trophies, this opens up the potential for other characters from represented franchises to be Echo Fighters. I would love to see Shadow and Proto Man be Echo Fighters for Sonic and Mega Man respectively.
You’ll be able to get your hands on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate when it launches on December 7. Four months has never seemed so far away.