You’ve stumbled upon my wonderful face, I guess. That’s right, after a few attempts at audio, I have decided to make the leap into video.

Once the ZU Channel launched on YouTube, Cody suggested that the Mailbag go video, so I broke out the camera and recorded one. The video you see above was edited down from 30 minutes of material! But, starting next week, I will only answer the top 5 questions of the week on video and post the rest as text on the site. You may also notice that I am not linking to the mailbag anymore, because they’ll now be posted right on the main page.

As usual, please send in your questions so that I can answer them in the next mailbag. Maybe you’ll get a video shoutout the next time!

When you’re done watching the first video mailbag, hit the jump for the full text version.

{{bubble}{Question 1: Zelda Wii Delays}{}{}{

ZeldaNoob writes:

How come many people think that Zelda Wii is going to be rushed and should be delayed to make the game better even though it will be through nearly 4 3/4 of a year of production by the time the game releases?

James responds:

Because I don’t think these people understand how long the game actually has been in development. There are also some people who believe that the game is just being dumped this year because Nintendo is apparently going down the pipes and introducing Zelda, Mario, and Metroid all in the same year. This way, if anyone thinks that Nintendo isn’t releasing anything big, they are wrong. However, this is exactly how Nintendo usually works. They reveal the next big Zelda game at E3 of the same or previous year when it was released. If all the rumors around are true, and the game has been in development almost 5 years and the game is being released this year, then we will definitely hear something at E3.

{{bubble}{Question 2: Spirit Tracks Help}{}{}{

Vegemyte writes:

Hi I’m a newbie and really need some help with Spirit Tracks, please!! I think I may have made a big mistake on the 13th Floor with the key because I used it to open the door to the west and now I can’t get through the door to get up to the 14th floor, does anyone have a solution? Please don’t tell me I have to start again from the beginning.

James responds:

Well, if you haven’t checked the walkthrough yet, then I can help you out this way. If I am sure of which key you have gotten (the one that was on the ramp on the southwest side of room near the door you opened) then you need the key that is in the chest activated in the southeast side of the room, where the Phantom is currently roaming. You need to stand in the middle of the southern part of the section, use the boomerang to move fire from the lit torch to the unlit torch. A chest should appear and all you have to do is open it. Voila, key to open the door. If you need more help, you can check out this section of our walkthrough for more help.

{{bubble}{Question 3: A Town’s Pronounciation}{}{}{

Luke writes:

Someone’s question from last week reminded me of something I’ve been wondering for a while. How is “Kakariko” pronounced? One of my friends pronounced it completely different than I thought it was. What’s your take on it?

James responds:

The way I pronounce it is just as how I read it. Kah-Kah-Ree-ko. Of course, I will say it in the audio portion, so stay tuned.

{{bubble}{Question 4: Zelda’s Story}{}{}{

Twilight One writes:

Okay, I’m wondering, am I the only one around here that loves the Princess Zelda character? I mean why do we see her only a very few times in a game, she doesn’t get involved as do some other (very minor) characters, much to my (and I hope others) displeasure. The question is: Why can’t we play as her in some moments of the game, we could this way learn more about her feelings as the story unfolds… She’s devoloped in such an intriguing character that her name and her pretty face for 5 minutes in game (read series) that’s named after her is a shame. In Spirit Tracks she’s the sidekick, yay but still she’s just a spectator… She doesn’t get involved ‘physically’, you know. She’s the new Navi and the conscience of Link for the lenght of the game, that’s it, again we only get her back at the end of the game…

I really love Super Smash Bros. just because we can play as her, and I never hear other people who would like her to actually be of some interest to gameplay. Look at her in Super Smash, she CAN fight. To me, she’s much more noble, intelligent and beautiful than Princess Peach. And the latter even has a game featuring her and her only! Why do you think Nintendo just keeps her mostly silent and to the side when they could make her have a better role, the central one! She’s not Peach and is not a poor damsel in distress now. This situation really bothers me, I’m a longtime fan of the series and I really don’t see the point of calling it The Legend of Zelda. The hero Link is the only one that receives honors in it. It should be named The Legend of Link as it is right now!

Is there any chance we could play a game that’s actually her story, the ‘Legend of Zelda’ in which we would play as her?

James responds:

While I am not saying it is out the realm of impossibility, I am not sure it will happen. Of course, Princess Peach had her own game and it did fairly well. I think Nintendo might be a little cautious on whether or not to put Zelda in a game as the main character. I don’t know why, but that’s how I see it. I don’t know how they would be able to put her in a Zelda type game without screwing up the series horribly. I also think they might be basing that off the Tingle game, where they took a minor character and made it a main character. We’ll just have to see.

{{bubble}{Question 5: Release Dates}{}{}{

Jordan writes:

Do you know what the release date of Zelda 2 was?

James responds:

You could have just check our AoL page to get the answer, but I will give it to you. According to us, the game was released in Japan on January 14, 1987 and in America in December of 1988. The game was re-released in 2003 as part of the special The Legend of Zelda: Collector’s Edition and 2004 as a Classic NES game on the GBA. It was also released in 2007 on the Virtual Console. Does that suffice the question?

{{bubble}{Question 6: Villages}{}{}{

Twilight One writes:

Hello again, I have another question that I can’t seem to find an answer for and maybe you could help me. Why are there only Kakariko and Castle town who are reused in other games… I mean the towns from the first games like Adventure of Link that bear the names of Ocarina of Time’s sages haven’t got any new appearance, what happened to them?

I know that the world of Hyrule that the games talk about is not the same part in every game, but Ocarina of Time and A Link To The Past, The Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link and Twilight Princess all are on the same lands, just different eras it seems. So what happened to the town of Saria for example? I can’t believe a big powerful kingdom like Hyrule only has two Hylian (main race) settlements that have gone through the years! Where have the towns and the corresponding population gone! Hyrule can’t sustain a powerful kingdom with two (small) towns! That really is a joke…

Do you have any idea why Nintendo seems to only keep Kakariko Village and Castle Town (which can be another town every time as there are new castles in different eras…) to witness of the past of the kingdom?

I know that Zora’s Domain or Goron City have reappeared (very different versions though) but they are not really towns…

In hoping that the big overworld that mister Aonuma and his team confirmed for Zelda Wii will feature more towns and possibly the old ones or at least explain what happened to them.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me to the best of your knowledge.

James responds:

You also have to remember that the lands in ALttP and OoT were “different” Hyrules, I do believe. Since the two biggest towns in OoT were Kakariko and Castle Town, they remained when Hyrule was resettled in ALttP. I also do believe that LoZ and AoL (which take place in the same Hyrule, just north and south) are at the end of the timeline, which might be the reason why you don’t see the town names in any of the newer games. Plus, they aren’t really names of towns, if they were reused in other games as names rather than towns.

As for the overworld, I really hope there are more towns in the overworld rather having them in remote areas of the map. It takes away from the aspect of the game if you have a whole wide open space with nothing other than a wide open space. We will have to see how it works out when we get the game (hopefully) at the end of the year.

{{bubble}{Question 7: zelda toys}{}{}{

hasan writes:

can i get some zelda toys

James responds:

You can check out our Merchandise section and see if any of the things we have featured are what you want. You can also check eBay or other auction sites as well as Nintendo World in New York (if you are nearby) or check your mall if they have stores that sell merchandise. I just can’t give you stuff, that wouldn’t be fair to everyone.

{{bubble}{Question 8: Delaying Zelda Wii}{}{}{

Dark Hero writes:

In an article on IGN it says that the next Zelda game could be delayed until it is perfect, but my problem here is if they do make it perfect they would be stuck with making the next game because it would have to be better than perfect, what do you think would be the best choice?

James responds:

I think the best choice would be to finally release the game by the end of this year, if all the rumors are true. The rumors are stating that the game has been in production since about 2005, which would make it the longest Zelda production, just narrowly squeaking out Ocarina’s production time. If those rumors are true, then they NEED to release the game this year to save face. If they delay it any longer, we might have another Twilight Princess riot on our hands.

{{bubble}{Question 9: Zelda Wii and MotionPlus}{}{}{

EzloSpirit writes:

“Zelda Wii” will be compatible with the Wii MotionPlus, right?

James responds:

The last time I checked, it will be. I think Miyamoto has said numerous times after the WiiMotion Plus came out, that he wanted the new Zelda game to incorporate it. What that means to the gameplay, I don’t know. If we don’t get a “shake the wiimote to swing your sword whichever way” tack on that we got with TP, I will be happy. They have had more time with this game to attach the Wii controls properly with this game that if they mess it up, they have problems.

{{bubble}{Question 10: Spelling}{}{}{

midnight93933 writes:

Is it spelled hylean or hyrulean?

James responds:

If you speak the language of Hyrule, you are speaking Hylian. If you are a citizen of the world of Hyrule, you are a Hyrulean.

{{bubble}{Question 11: Walkthroughs}{}{}{

Rebecca writes:

I’ve recently made the decision to finish all of the games I’ve never finished and sadly that includes OoT (watched my sister beat the game but never did it myself). I love ZU’s walkthroughs and used your Majora’s Mask walkthrough to almost 100% it (sans some heart pieces). However, I go to open your OoT walkthrough and I see a message dated from almost two years ago that says you guys are in the process of creating one. Is it still in the works or is it permanently on hold?

James responds:

To start, I must say that the first time I beat OoT was in 2006, when I was unemployed and had nothing better to do, so don’t worry too much.

I checked, and it was in the works around the time we switched the site over to WordPress. It was being worked on my Zarah and I have not found any news on why it was delayed. The last time I checked the work in progress, she was up to the Shadow Temple and that was July of last year. I will spark interest on the matter in the forums and see what happens.

When I sparked interest, I got this interesting thought: Spirit Tracks has been priority number 1, since it is the most recent game in the series. It will get done eventually and we are sorry for the inconvenience.

{{bubble}{Question 12: Shadow Dragon and Bathrooms}{}{}{

potato writes:

1) This isn’t about the legend of Zelda, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Fire Emblem is one of my favorite game series. They made many of them in Japan, but only in Japan. They recently made Shadow Dragon which is a remake of one of the Japanese games. It was great and was wondering, do you think they will do this with the other Japanese games?

2) How does Link hold it in for so long? Do Hylians ever need to use the bathroom. Link never once has to go. Even after the seven years in Ocarina of Time. I don’t know how Link does it, but I thank Nintendo for not putting it in the game. Anyway, how do YOU think he does it?

James responds:

1) Like I said, I don’t care the question, as long its Zelda, Nintendo or Gaming. Sports or stamp collecting questions don’t work in a gaming mailbag.

It is a very good possibility. We saw Fire Emblem characters in the Super Smash series and they did quite alright. And its not unusual for a Japan-only game at first to be released outside that country. Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan) was released as the Lost Levels for Super Mario All-Stars. Final Fantasy 2, 3 and 5 were released in the United States in the last decade after being a Japan only game. I think it depends on the success rate of a series, which Mario and Final Fantasy are very successful franchises.

2) Magic. Second of all, I needed to clean up your question because the way you said it was vulgar. The game plays that you see the adventure, not the bodily functions these people have to endure. It’s a game, that the main excuse.

{{bubble}{Question 13: Zelda Wii Development}{}{}{

ZeldaNoob writes:

If Zelda Wii comes out this year, it would have gone through nearly 5 years of production (beginning of 2006 too end of 2010). Why do many people believe that this game was rushed? They say it should be delayed like twilight princess. but twilight princess was delayed only so it could be compatible on the Wii. Isn’t 4 1/2 years enough already?

James responds:

I have been answering this the last couple of weeks. I agree that everyone who is calling for a delay (which I believe is a VERY small selection of people) are silly. They need to reread all the news about the game and the length of time it has been in development. The game will be released at the end of the year and if it isn’t, then the beginning of next year, and if not then we have a problem.

{{bubble}{Question 14: Post Counts}{}{}{

Corbin writes:

Does the chat room count as posts?

James responds:

No, it does not. It is a separate entity from the forum and does not increase post count. Besides, if it did, you would see a lot of people will post counts in the 30, 40, maybe 50,000’s.

{{bubble}{Question 15: Emulators}{}{}{

Gerudude writes:

Hello, I recently found out there is an emulated version of Majora’s Mask available. (I know you already knew this). But my question is: Which is the best emulator? And does anybody have any positive experience with emulated Zelda games on PC?

James responds:

Zelda Universe does not promote the use of illegal ROMs – however, if you were to use an emulator for your own purposes, and as a backup system, the de-facto Nintendo 64 emulator has always been Project 64. Again, we do not promote downloading illegal ROMs; although Project 64 is perfectly legal, you use the ROMs at your own risk.
}}

That’s all for this week’s mailbag – stay tuned, because you may see different faces and names other than mine in the future!

• potato

the second question was a joke.
    Wow, I feel like an idiot now.
    you dont have to answer everything

• James

Answer everything in the video portion? Because I am working on only answering the best for the video and everything in the text. I get messages from everyone about everything and I do occasionally delete messages I think are just completely out there.

• potato

the second question was a joke.
    Wow, I feel like an idiot now.
    you dont have to answer everything

• James

• midnight93933

• James

No problem. It's my job. šŸ™‚

• ChainofTermina

LIKE OH MA GAWD!! James , I have the EXACT same T-shirt! it doesn't fit me anymore, but WE TOOOTALY HAVE THE SAME TASTE IN FASHUUN!!

I need to think of more questions. you're really getting on the ball now, thats good, but I can't keep up ^_^

• ChainofTermina

• James

I get complements about that shirt from everyone. I love it.

You don't have to send questions every week, you know.

• ZeldaNoob

Thanks for answering my question.

• ZeldaNoob

Thanks for answering my question.

• i think you should go back to voice audio

• James

Why's that?

• it's a joke, just like guys joke about link going to the bathroom

• ZeldaNoob

woops i asked two of the same questions. Sorry šŸ™‚

• ZeldaNoob

woops i asked two of the same questions. Sorry šŸ™‚

• link54

This is me again.I need to tell you'll zelda fans bad news.That the master sword……is not going to be in the game :(.But you will have a sword in it.So atleast theres a sword in it because they were thinking there was no sword in it.I also heard dark link will be in it. So whatever you want to happen or what charaters you want to be in zelda wii 2 then tell me.

PS: Im a big zelda fan šŸ™‚ and i will keep on posting stuff so read my news and please JUST PLEASE REPLY TO THIC COMMENT.

Sincerly big fan of zelda,
    link54

• link53

hi dude

• link53

i am link54's best freind k ppl

• link53

i am link54's best freind k ppl

• link54

was up dawg

• link54

If anyone needs questions about zelda reply io my comment.Even link53.

• link54

In Zelda majoras mask it shows a scene they do not show in ocarina of time ( majoras mask is the sequel to ocarina of time ) which is the part that zelda gives back the ocarina and link leaves hyrule and zelda teaches the song of time to link.

PS: If need walkthrough e-mail me at [email protected]