Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Aonuma's Quote About the Sage Towns
    • Didn't Aonuma confirm that the Sage towns in The Advetnure of Link are named so as after the Sages who became known on the adult timeline?

He did clearly state that the towns are named after them as part of a psedo-secret and story-wise. He said that the event of Ocarina of Time - all adult timeline events - explain how the Sage towns in The Advetnure of Link were named: famous characaters from Ocarina of Time in the adult timeline events.

I don't have the source to the quote, but I keep coming across the quote and it, indeed, is official. There is a source, but I'm not searchign for it. Quite a few people on this site should have the source, however.

This is a very recent confirmation by Aonuma, too. Just last year? Very up to date. And he said it after Phantom Hourglass, on the adult timeline, was released, which shows the Sage graves.

The Wind Waker, on the adult timeline, shows that the Sages were remembered - and Link sees them on stained glass windows. This obviously explains how they would be named after towns when a new land was founded.

Aonuma makes it pretty damn clear.
      [COLOR="Black"]Personal Timeline Information[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Child Timeline:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Teal"]OoT/MM - TP - ALttP/LA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Adult Timeline:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Teal"]OoT - tWW/PH - FPTRR - LoZ/AoL - OoA/OoS - tMC - FS/FSA[/COLOR]

*Prone to frequent change
      * [___] = not sure of exact timeline placment
      *Spin-offs included

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]PotentCove[/COLOR]
      I am [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Potent[/COLOR], he is [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cove[/COLOR].

LupusX;3066177 wrote:

Some people listen do Heavy Metal, some prefer classical music, I listen to Zelda.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Potent Col ().

• He did clearly state that the towns are named after them as part of a psedo-secret and story-wise.
      The pseudo secret one wasn't Aonuma.

Actually IIRC he was referring to at the time of release of OoT the AoL towns were named after the sages. Which 'could' (emphasis on could, as I find this unlikely) mean that it doesn't mean anything anymore, it was only relevant in 1998.
    • Table wrote:

The pseudo secret one wasn't Aonuma.

Actually IIRC he was referring to at the time of release of OoT the AoL towns were named after the sages. Which 'could' (emphasis on could, as I find this unlikely) mean that it doesn't mean anything anymore, it was only relevant in 1998.

Until The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass showed the Sages becoming famous. The developers made a lot of connections to The Advetnure of Link in the most recent adult timeline Zelda game, and Sage graves was a start, then Maze Island, and other things.

And there WAS an interview with Aonuma last year where he mentioned the Sage towns being named after the Sages. He bloody mentioned it in an interview last year.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Child Timeline:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Teal"]OoT/MM - TP - ALttP/LA[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Adult Timeline:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Teal"]OoT - tWW/PH - FPTRR - LoZ/AoL - OoA/OoS - tMC - FS/FSA[/COLOR]

*Spin-offs included

LupusX;3066177 wrote:

Some people listen do Heavy Metal, some prefer classical music, I listen to Zelda.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Potent Col ().

• The man himself wrote:

Each of the races has a character fated to become one of the sages later on. We named them after towns in The Adventure of Link so it would appear that the towns had been named after them. (In the world of Zelda, the events of Ocarina of Time occur before the events of The Adventure of Link).

Okay, so what about it now?:P
      [SIZE="1"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Just dance. It's gonna be okay.[/FONT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [FONT="Georgia"]...And I'm yours. That's why I won't leave you forever.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    • Until The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass showed the Sages becoming famous.
      lolwut? You mean the sages pictures in the master sword room, which is a secret passage that no one is supposed to get to?
      And there WAS an interview with Aonuma last year where he mentioned the Sage towns being named after the Sages. He bloody mentioned it in an interview last year.
      Umm... I kinda said that. Except he WAS referring to the time when OoT was released, not now.

I agree that it's likely that, even though he was referring to the release of OoT, it's still valid now, as he didn't mention it being wrong now, either.
    • Table wrote:

lolwut? You mean the sages pictures in the master sword room, which is a secret passage that no one is supposed to get to? Umm... I kinda said that. Except he WAS referring to the time when OoT was released, not now.

I agree that it's likely that, even though he was referring to the release of OoT, it's still valid now, as he didn't mention it being wrong now, either.

Originally Posted by Aonuma
      Each of the races has a character fated to become one of the sages later on. We named them after towns in The Adventure of Link so it would appear that the towns had been named after them. (In the world of Zelda, the events of Ocarina of Time occur before the events of The Adventure of Link).

That was last year.

Link and Tetra saw the Sages. Guess what? They're the ones looking for the new Hyrule, and they're the ones who get to name the towns! What did they see? The Sages.

*Spin-offs included

LupusX;3066177 wrote:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Potent Col ().

• Pinecove wrote:

Um...Potent, I'm not sure if you noticed, but Table (Wow that's weird as supposed to saying SoM!) is agreeing with you...also your timeline has turned horrible again...

He he is?
      Wna what the Din? I have never had an actual 'horrible' timeline... don't you even think of comparing me to ocarinahero... that is an insult bigger than life. :P

And what is wrong with my current timeline? All I did was moved the first two SNES games and the Oracles to happening after A Link to the Past. >:/

*Spin-offs included

LupusX;3066177 wrote:

• All I did was moved the first two SNES games and the Oracles to happening after A Link to the Past. >:/

Exactly. There's no explenation for Ganon in LoZ where you place it, and you completely ignore the LoZ-TMC, OoX-TMC and OoX-FSA (and possibly even LoZ-FSA) evidance.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Beemnorv wrote:

You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
    • My timeline was like that before... but everyone disagreed with it... :/

And having The Legend of Zelda before Four Swords Advetnures cretaes a problem: how did Ganon return at all after his Wind Waker death? Four Swords Advetnures explains how he came back: reincarnation. And it shows how he came to acclaim the Trident and pig form that he uses in The Legend of Zelda, The Advetnure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening (as nightmare), and the Oracles.

*Spin-offs included

LupusX;3066177 wrote:

• And having The Legend of Zelda before Four Swords Advetnures cretaes a problem: how did Ganon return at all after his Wind Waker death? Four Swords Advetnures explains how he came back: reincarnation. And it shows how he came to acclaim the Trident and pig form that he uses in The Legend of Zelda, The Advetnure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening (as nightmare), and the Oracles.

In the legend of Zelda he has NO Trident, and has no explenation for being alive after ALttP.

AST states that Ganon's essence will survive after his body is destroyed.

In TWW we only see Ganon's body destroyed. In LoZ we see his soul destroyed, hense why he has to be ressurected in OoX.

In ALttP we see his body destroyed. In AST we see his spirit destroyed and there's NO explenation for him in LoZ.

I think it's time to face facts here.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Best Theorist Fall 2007, Summer 2011 ; Most Devoted Theorist Summer 2010, Winter 2011, Summer 2011

Beemnorv wrote:

You see, Pine, you and I - we're the superheroes of ZU.
    • Potent Col wrote:

That was last year.

Link and Tetra saw the Sages. Guess what? They're the ones looking for the new Hyrule, and they're the ones who get to name the towns! What did they see? The Sages.

Well then they need to get a better imagination or something. Also what about Kasuto? Didn't you make a huge debate about that like, a week ago?
      If all pizzas are pies but not all pies are pizzas, then some pies must be pizzas! I'm smart! :scholar:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Awesome siggy made by Zorathan!
    • Pinecove wrote:

^Could be either Impa's first name, or it could be a reference to the "Kasuto" in the spanish version of PH.

Thank you! :3

Like some of us say- Kasuto could be Impa's first name. Considering the fact that she is the only[/b] Ocarina of Time Sage lacking a town named after her and Aonuma said the towns are named after the Sages and Impa is only a family name, it is very likely that Kasuto is her first name.

Why else would she, the woman whose name you only know by her family name, lack a town? Because they wouldn't use her second name- it would make more sense to use her first name. :P

And the Kasuto reference in Spanish Phantom Hourglass shows that the people over there also support that The Adventure of Link happens after Phantom Hourglass.

They must have put the reference there for a reason... They surely must have also noticed the many connections made between the two games: the island and wtaery status of Hyrule in The Advetnure of Link, for a start... and the Sage towns comparing with the Sage graves... and Maze Island...

*Spin-offs included

LupusX;3066177 wrote:

• Potent Col wrote:

That was last year.

Your not getting what he is saying. He KNOWS that Aonuma said it last year. He's saying Aonuma was REFERRING to when OoT was originally released. Not SAID it when it was released TALKING ABOUT when it was released.

hipster;5253491 wrote:

Ya know, this cheery place, atop the precipice. With all the dead things and the Tingle.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]