Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    MM - You have the same smell as the fairy kid...
    • MM - You have the same smell as the fairy kid...

1. In the CT, before the events of MM, Link and Skullkid never properly met. They may have seen each other but that is all. If they had actually talked to each other beforehand, that means they had to become friends first. They can only become friends if Link plays Saria's Song to him. In the gameplay of OoT, after Link plays Saria's Song to him, Skullkid said they should be friends. It is after this event that Skullkid starts talking to you regularly, noting things like his face is just plain, he wants it to look unusual, etc. In the end of MM, Skullkid asked for Link's friendship. Therefore, Link never played Saria's Song to Skullkid before MM, so they were never friends.

2. In the end of MM, when Skullkid said that Link has the same smell as the forest kid who taught him that song in the woods, Skullkid is referring to Saria. The forest kid is not Link. Keep in mind that Skullkid remembers the song and the person who taught it to him. Hypothetically, if Link was the forest kid, Skullkid would have said "you are the forest kid who taught me that song in the woods." Skullkid didn't lose his memory or anything like that because he clearly remembers the event of learning the song in the past. Skullkid only smells Link because there is something he detects about this person he has never met before.

3. Saria's Song is referenced in MM. The idea of "MM would have showed Saria if the forest kid was her" thing is not true. The song is played at the end of the game. It is also played at 10:41 in this segment here: MM 1st 3-day Cycle (TAS) Therefore, this OoT song represents friendship and fun in MM.

4. There are a ton of songs in OoT and MM. Skull Kid could have been talking about any one of these songs, not necessarily Saria's. There are also songs that Link doesn't even know. The two Lost Woods stump kids who ask Link to "Follow along with our song on your Ocarina. We'll lead you into it" have plenty of songs at their disposal. The OoT gameplay portion of Link playing Saria's Song to the Skull Kid on the Lost Woods stump may not have occurred again after Link returned to the CT in the end of OoT. Therefore, the Skull Kid in MM may not be the same one as him. And if the Skull Kids aren't the same, then a fairy kid other than Saria could have taught the MM Skull Kid a song that isn't Saria's Song.

5. Concerning OoT Only : Skull kid knew Saria's Song even before Link learned it himself. The three Skull kids in the Lost Woods know a ton of songs, and more importantly, they know how to play them with their own flutes. The songs they know go up to at least 8 notes, and some of the notes don't have a repeated pattern. Saria's Song has 6 notes comprising of a repeated pattern of the first 3. Upon first playing Zelda's Lullaby to the lone Skull Kid instead of Saria's Song, he reacts with "That's not quite Saria's Song...". Upon playing Saria's Song to him, he reacts with "You know Saria's Song! We should be friends!". He knows what Saria's Song sounds like, and because he has a flute, he knows how to play it too. The song is much easier to learn and play compared to the other random longer songs. The three Skull kids in OoT are all friends. If one of them receives the Skull Mask, the other two start wearing it as soon as possible because the first Skull kid says "My buddies really want this mask" once he receives his. Also, it is likely that if one of them knows a random song, the other two know it as well. One of the random songs actually begins with the first three notes of Saria's Song in the "follow our notes" game of the two Skull Kids. Even if Saria didn't teach her song to those two, they could have figured out how her song went just by listening to it, especially since Mido also said that Saria plays that song all the time. The meaning of the lone Skull Kid's reaction to hearing Link play Saria's Song is as follows: Link and Skull kid don't know each other, they never officially met. Skull Kid learned Saria's Song from Saria, and Link learned Saria's Song from Saria. According to Mido, Saria teaches her song only to her friends. Teaching a song means the other person will learn how to play it. To Skull kid, Link playing Saria's Song to him indicates that Link is Saria's friend too. And because these two people are friends with Saria, Skull kid decides that they should become friends with each other as well.

I am open to the possibility that nintendo made a mistake:

The MM Skull kid's retarded sentence "you have the same smell as the fairy kid who taught me that song in the woods." It is possible Nintendo intended to connect Skull Kid, Link, and Saria's Song. Unfortunately, the way they structured it just doesn't make any sense. All they would have to do is fix that sentence to "you're the one who taught me that song, etc" if that was their intention all along. Because right now it looks like he is saying: "you have the same smell as Link, the fairy boy, who taught me Saria's Song in the Lost Woods. Even though I remember the song and the person who taught it to me, which is you, I am not acknowledging that you are the same boy who taught me that song. Instead, I'm just saying you have the same smell as him, even though that was you all along!"

I used to think correcting that sentence will fix everything, but there is too much left to consider as noted above.

smallville boy;2369533 wrote:

bitterlime;2353090 wrote:

Crimson_Hero;2163952 wrote:

Originally Posted by ?

the truth
    • Link and saria haven't the same smell. Link is a hylian kid and saria a kokiri(forest spirit).
      skull kid talk about link,about the characteristic smell of link(the characteristic smell of the person).
      Link in the childtimeline teach to the skull kid saria song after he was returned in time by zelda ,i mean time before he went to search navi into the woods.
      Skull kid seems to have a good smell sense.
      But he have bad memory.

Display Spoiler

Few things satisfy like a puzzle solved!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Smallville Boy 69 ().

• Link and saria haven't the same smell. Link is a hylian kid and saria a kokiri(forest spirit).
      skull kid talk about link,about the characteristic smell of link(the characteristic smell of the person).
      Link in the childtimeline teach to the skull kid saria song after he was returned in time by zelda ,i mean time before he went to search navi into the woods.
      Skull kid seems to have a good smell sense.
      But he have bad memory.

Link is a hylian but he grew up with the Kokiri. That experience is what makes him have the same smell as Saria, according to Skull Kid. There are so many problems with the idea that Link taught it to him and that Skull Kid had to smell him to remember that. Skull Kid does not have a bad memory. After Majora's Threat ceased, nothing in MM from that point on indicates that Skull Kid lost his memory. He clearly remembers the giants, and the trouble he caused them.

Think carefully about the next part of that scene: Skull Kid asked for Link's friendship, which indicates they were never friends before. In OoT, they become friends only after Link plays Saria's Song to him. So if they were never friends before MM, that means Link never played Saria's Song to him before MM. That's not the only way to become friends, but if Link plays Saria's Song to him in OoT, then that definetely makes them friends. Also take note that Skull Kid goes up to Link and smells him. Why does he smell him? Because there is something he detects about this person he never met before. And then comes the sentence..."you have the same smell as the fairy kid who taught me that song in the woods." There is so much wrong with that whole scene plus that sentence if you believe Link was the fairy kid he was referring to. Read my first post carefully for a better understanding.

Originally Posted by ?

the truth
    • The American/European version of Zelda games are not always 100% percent right translated... Remember that.

And in MM when Skull Kid asked for Link's friendship, may just be because he figured that their friendship was kind off trashed after the whole destroy Clock Town with the moon incident...
      Awesome sig made by: Caleb

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE="1"]
      [COLOR="Blue"]Zelda Games Beaten:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]LoZ[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]AoL[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]ALttP LA OoT MM [/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]OoS[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]OoA FS FSA TWW TP PH ST SS ALbW[/COLOR]
      [/SIZE]
    • And in MM when Skull Kid asked for Link's friendship, may just be because he figured that their friendship was kind off trashed after the whole destroy Clock Town with the moon incident...

He says "Friends are a nice thing to have...Heh, heh. Could you be my friend, too?" not "Could you be my friend again?"

If he knew him, why would he smell him?

Originally Posted by ?

the truth
    • he could have very well went back into the forest and taught the skull kid that song.

If his memory is good enough to remember that someone taught him a song back then, why would he say "you have the same smell as the fairy kid" if Link was that teacher? Also, Link played Saria's Song to him.

Originally Posted by ?

the truth
    • SevenYears wrote:

If his memory is good enough to remember that someone taught him a song back then, why would he say "you have the same smell as the fairy kid" if Link was that teacher? Also, Link played Saria's Song to him.

Back then? MM happens a few months after OoT. As you stated before, maybe they probably never became friends and therefore Link didnt even give him his name. He only taught him the song.

I think you are looking too much into this, Nintendo obviously wanted us to believe it is the same skull kid and the one who taught him the song was Link. Why would they do something so complicated if it wasn't true?

• Link is a hylian but he grew up with the Kokiri. That experience is what makes him have the same smell as Saria, according to Skull Kid.

Nope he haven't the same smell as saria,each person have a characteristic smell, saria and the other kokiris are forest spirits, link is a hylian kid and he have his own and unique caracteristic smell.
      Skull kid don't talk about the smell of the forest, because skull kid live in the forest, he talk about the characteristic and unique smell of the person who teach him saria song.

Display Spoiler

The post was edited 2 times, last by Smallville Boy 69 ().

• All of this is nonsense. Skull kid never said anything else besides the smell comment. Link would have never had to "become friends" with skull kid. Link goes around Hyrule and talks to many people and never becomes friends with them. Why would it be any different here? He obviously met him before. I mean what else could Nintendo have meant when they say something like that?
      You have the same smell as that forest kid who taught me that song? well, you never taught him a song in mm, so it must have been in Oot, which is a DIRECT SEQUEL.

And how could you possibly drag Saria into this? He remembers someone taught him a song in the woods.he sees link and says he smells like him. WHAT ELSE COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE TRYING TO SAY? you taught a skull kid Saria's song in the woods in Oot! make the connection!
      'And also it is never said in Oot that you have to play Saria's song to become friends with anybody. How do you know Skull Kid new the song before link? Sure, they knew a lot of songs. But did they ever play you Saria's song? Obviously not, because you taught him a song (in the woods). How could Nintendo have made a mistake? They obviously said that he was in Oot. WHAT ELSE COULD NINTENDO MEAN? they said it perfectly clear. IF they had just said, " Oh, you have the same smell as link, the fairy boy, who taught me Saria's song in the woods." it would have left all the mysteriousness and sneakiness that went into that sentence. They're trying to hint at the fact without being blatant. And also, how would SK know your name?
    • As you stated before, maybe they probably never became friends and therefore Link didnt even give him his name. He only taught him the song.
      That goes against what happens in OoT. He only talks to Link once he hears him play Saria's Song to him, that's how they become friends. That's why Skull kid even talks to Link about his plain face and so on afterwards. If Link goes to him before playing Saria's Song, Skull Kid doesn't say a word.

Nintendo obviously wanted us to believe it is the same skull kid and the one who taught him the song was Link. Why would they do something so complicated if it wasn't true?
      If they really wanted to make that connection, they screwed up. If they really wanted to connect Saria with them, they succeeded.

Nope he haven't the same smell as saria,each person have a characteristic smell, saria and the other kokiris are forest spirits, link is a hylian kid and he have his own and unique characteristic smell.
      Skull kid don't talk about the smell of the forest, because skull kid live in the forest, he talk about the characteristic and unique smell of the person who teach him saria song.
      First, watch the cutscene of Link playing Saria's Song to Skull Kid in OoT. Second, according to me, Link has the same smell as Saria since they grew up together in the forest. But according to the other idea, Link has the same smell as...Link... who taught him that song in the woods. So Skull Kid goes up to Link to smell him just because he smells like...Link? That doesn't make any sense.

Ever think multiple forest kids taught these skull kids Saria's song? I imagine if it really is Link who taught him this, then the effect of Majora's Mask truly did mess up Skull Kid's memory.
      But Majora's Mask didn't mess up Skull Kid's memory. There is no proof for that. He remembers the giants and the trouble he caused them before he got Majora's Mask.

Listen very carefully, this is the last time I will break the memory thing down: Skull Kid remembers an event in the past. He remembers a song and the person who taught it to him, in the past. He has to smell Link to detect something. That something is the connection of a forest kid who taught him a song in the woods. After smelling him, Skull Kid remembers the past. If Link was the one who taught it to him, why does he say "you have the same smell as the forest kid who taught me that song in the woods", instead of "you ARE the one who taught me that song in the woods"?

Why would it be any different here? He obviously met him before. I mean what else could Nintendo have meant when they say something like that?
      Because in OoT, Skull Kid doesn't tell him "we're friends" unless he plays the song to him first. After OoT, Link did not see him again until the events of MM, he never played a song to him. In the end of MM, Skull Kid said "Could you be my friend too", not "could you be my friend again".

well, you never taught him a song in mm, so it must have been in Oot, which is a DIRECT SEQUEL.
      You never taught him a song in OoT, you just play it to him.

you taught a skull kid Saria's song in the woods in Oot! make the connection!
      Link played Saria's Song to him in OoT. Saria taught her song to Skull Kid and Link on separate occasions. Link has the same smell as Saria. The connnection is there.

How do you know Skull Kid new the song before link?
      Watch the cutscene of Link playing Saria's Song to him in OoT.

How could Nintendo have made a mistake?
      I already pointed it out, it's the sentence in the end of MM that is the mistake, but that's only if they wanted to have Link teach him a song. Otherwise, everything works out. It makes sense for Skull Kid to be talking about Saria.

IF they had just said, " Oh, you have the same smell as link, the fairy boy, who taught me Saria's song in the woods." it would have left all the mysteriousness and sneakiness that went into that sentence. They're trying to hint at the fact without being blatant.
      It's not mysteriousness, it's retardedness if that was their intention.

Originally Posted by ?

the truth
    • smallville boy wrote:

Nope he haven't the same smell as saria,each person have a characteristic smell, saria and the other kokiris are forest spirits, link is a hylian kid and he have his own and unique characteristic smell.

Okay, there are so many things wrong with this post, in so many ways.

The main thing is: YOUR HEREDITY DOES NOT DETERMINE HOW YOU SMELL!!...

My god. And theories have been crushed by this person?
    • SnareSticks wrote:

Okay, there are so many things wrong with this post, in so many ways.

The main thing is: YOUR HEREDITY DOES NOT DETERMINE HOW YOU SMELL!!...

My god. And theories have been crushed by this person?

Each person have theire own, caracteristic and unique smell

ORDONIAN CAT:
      You smell the same as the ranch hand named Link, so I know you're a nice wolf!

MIDNA:
      You smell the girl, don't you?
      I can tell by the look on your face.
      Well, good. It's another clue, then.
      But this scent could be quite old... I wonder if she is still all right? Eee
      hee!

Ilia,link and each person have theire own, caracteristic and unique smell.
      Skull kid like the ordonian cat recognized the caracteristic and unique smell of link.

Display Spoiler

The post was edited 3 times, last by Smallville Boy 69 ().

• smallville boy wrote:

Each person have theire own, caracteristic and unique smell

Nope.

Ilia,link and each person have theire own, caracteristic and unique smell.
      Skull kid like the ordonian cat recognized the caracteristic and unique smell of link.

Sorry bud, but... No.

See, both Link and Ilia are hitting puberty during TP, so that means that they'd probably start using the closet they have to perfume/deoderant. That does not give them a characteristic smell, it's just a smell that sticks to them because of something they apply to them.

Now, in OOT, the Kokiri don't need to use Deoderant/perfume. They're just spirits, so they would smell like their surrounds, a.k.a., the forest. Link thought he was kokiri, and therefore saw no need to use deoderant, so he smelled, of course, like the forest.

There is also the alternate explanation of all the faeries smelling, the same, and that's what skull kid smelled each time, the faeries.
    • Where does it say that saria taght SK her song?

Where does it say Link teaches SK her song? Link only has the same smell as the fairy kid who taught Saria's Song song to SK. The fairy kid is not Link.

That melody?!
      Saria plays that song all the
      time!
      You...Do you know Saria?
      That song...
      Saria taught that song only
      to her friends...

What is said is Saria is the only one who teaches her song to others. Teaching a song means someone with a flute/ocarina will learn how to play it.

Skull Kid
      Is this what happens to kids who
      get lost in the forest? He might
      be our friend if we do something...

You know Saria's Song! We should
      be friends! Here, take this!

Let's play again sometime!

There is no difference in Sk's actions when you play him the song the first time, and any time after that. He knew how to play it before Link played it to him. He is Saria's friend. Link knows the song. Sk already knows the song. They are both Saria's friends. Because they both know the song, Sk decides Link and him should be friends as well.

Do you know what happens if Link plays a song other than Saria's for the first time he meets him? Sk responds with this:

That's not quite Saria's Song...

This proves Sk knew what the song sounded like but more importantly whose song it belongs to.

Originally Posted by ?

the truth
    • Each person have theire own, caracteristic and unique smell

without perfume or cologne, i smell just like my bro.
      Now, in OOT, the Kokiri don't need to use Deoderant/perfume. They're just spirits, so they would smell like their surrounds, a.k.a., the forest. Link thought he was kokiri, and therefore saw no need to use deoderant, so he smelled, of course, like the forest.

The Kokiri do have physical bodies, evidenced by the Kokiri that pulls the rock or the bushes. and for having physical bodies, they probably smell like something umm like the forest..maybe?
      since the kokiri have a body that never grows up from 10 or 12 years, they probably don't smell bad.
    • <_< I know this is strange but I can tell the different scents from each member of my family and they all smell different. Yes my sense of smell is a little <_< stronger than normal but still if I CAN do it why can't Skull Kid do it. What you eat and what shampoo you use , your health condition, age, and everything create a unique smell on each person.

I'm not taking a side on this yet just wanted to point that out.
      ZU's most confusing Timeline Theory belongs to Sharky!!
      -----------/TP-LoZ/AoL-FS/FSA------\
      tMC-OoT------------------------------OoX>
      ---------\OoT AT-tWW/PH----LttP----/
      --------\MM-ZG&W--------LA/

Sharky <3 Zohrra

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shark Akhrrana ().