Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Official Nintendo DS Thread
    • This pokemon Dash title loks like a Mario Kart wanna be. I was a bit hesitant about buying a DS but now I know I'm going to get it. I even got a wireless router for this special occasion. Since I never had a N64 this Super Mario 64 is on my must have list. I do have to wait a while though because If I get a DS on my birthday I'm probably not going to get another game for a while so I'll have to mess around with Picto Chat and Metroid Prime Hunters DS. The surgery game also looks pretty good and any RPG that comes out is mine, Gamecube did lack them so hopefully DS will have much more. Final Fantasy III is one of the top things on my list. Also this mystery Title looks very nice too, that also may be a must have depending on how it shapes up.
    • And that Surgery game is actually "Tendo Dokuta". The name derives from NinTendo Doctor (Dokuta is japanese for Doctor). So this game could easily be called "Dr. Tendo", "Dr. Nintendo" (seems like Dr. Mario will have some stiff competition), or any other creative name Nintendo can think of. I wonder if this game will be graphic (realistic to the internal organs of the human body) and if it will be reliesed in the U.S.

-BGS

PS: l-o-s, nice find and thanks for sharing the pics with us.
      [Signature & Avatar Created By Lioness & BlueBubble-L]

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
      "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
      Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
    • I am now posotive DS will kick PSP's pathetic A** I mean look at what it can really DO!

TOKYO--When analysts reported last month that the Nintendo DS would support voice-over-IP functionality, we thought we'd heard the last secret of the Nintendo DS hardware. But at this morning's press conference in Tokyo, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that the machine can download game data wirelessly, then play it back.

"The Nintendo DS' greatest features are its revolutionary control schemes, such as the touch sensitive screen and the microphone input," Iwata began. "And its other major feature is the wireless connection. With it, we're going to revolutionize the way that games are played.

"The DS's wireless connection isn't just a substitute for the link cable that was used on the Game Boy [for multiplayer games]. The DS has wireless download capability, which allows it to receive a program and to execute it. With it, people can play games together using only one cartridge," commented Iwata, citing as one example Super Mario 64 DS' four-player, one-cartridge simultaneous game play.

While game-session sharing isn’t totally new since it was possible with titles on the Game Boy Advance, the DS can do far more. "Although this won't be available at launch, we're thinking of using the wireless download function to change the way in which people try out upcoming games at retail outlets," said Iwata. "We're thinking of a system where people can download a demo program [from the store’s machines], with a time or a usage limit, to their own DS. We hope that this system will allow new potential hits to be recognized by everyone, and that it will help to buck the trend where only sequels are hitting the sales charts."

Iwata also went on to talk about plans to integrate the DS' download capability with theatrical movie releases, starting off with a short mention of former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi's conviction that Nintendo should enter the animated film business.

"We are absolutely considering the idea [of going into the movie business]," Iwata said. Although we don't have anything to talk about right now, we hope to make an announcement by the end of the year.

"On a related subject, we're planning try integrating the DS with movie theaters. By using the system's wireless functionality, users that bring their DS and GBA Pokémon cartridge to designated theaters will be able to download game data that will be distributed during certain scenes of the next Pokémon movie. In one scene where the main characters meet a new Pokémon, that character's data will be sent to their cartridges. This will be the first time such a distribution scheme has been used anywhere in the world."

(We can deduce from this statement that the Game Boy Advance cartridge slot on the DS must be somehow compatible with the wireless link functionality. Although it is known that the Game Boy Advance link cable will not work with the DS, it seems likely now that GBA titles with wireless support will indeed be able to link up while in a DS system, although this has not been confirmed nor denied.)

While most of Iwata’s comments were based on the Nintendo DS, he assured the crowd that Nintendo is still supporting the Game Boy Advance. “The DS isn’t the only thing that Nintendo will focus on. Ever since the price reduction of the Game Boy Advance SP on September, it’s been selling better than last year, when it was in high demand to begin with. We forecast that there will be over 60 million units of shipped throughout the world within the year when including the Game Boy Advance, and we are anticipating further market expansion [of the handheld and its games].”

Stay tuned to GameSpot for more information about the Nintendo DS all this week.

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot

THAT IS AMAZING, I'm jumping with joy, the pokemon bit was a nice feature but combine it with all of that and you got a sony @$$ kicking machine.
    • That is certainly a very interestin aspect of the DS, jehuty. I have an idea of how this movie thing could be implemented further. Let's say you go and see the new Spiderman movie. Perhaps as the credits roll a demo of the game based on the movie is downloaded into your DS, so you can play it after the movie. It's amazing how much this little bugger can do.
    • Mr Spork wrote:

That is certainly a very interestin aspect of the DS, jehuty. I have an idea of how this movie thing could be implemented further. Let's say you go and see the new Spiderman movie. Perhaps as the credits roll a demo of the game based on the movie is downloaded into your DS, so you can play it after the movie. It's amazing how much this little bugger can do.

Dude, that idea is awsome and so was that article. I hope this goes far. Did you read about the part that Nintendo is thinking of going into the movie buisness (final dessision will be made by the end of the year). When I read that, it sent shivers down my spine. All I could think of at that moment was "Zelda Movie". I'm sorry for going a little off topic there, but I'm sure with Nintendo at the helms, anything is possible when it comes to video games and technology.

-BGS

• lord-of-shadow wrote:

I would rather Nintendo go third party then make a Zelda movie.

I'm having a major brain fart today (not able to think.....oh what's that word, oh yeah....straight), what exactly does it mean to "go third party"? Yeah now that I'm not as hyper as yesterday, I can calm down and re-read what I wrote yesterday. *begins to read* Ok, so maybe it would be best if Nintendo didn't make a Zelda game, but I would like to see how Nintendo will get involved being in movies.

*Brainstorm!*
      I remember reading in a magazine that the actress from Terminator 3 (the one who played as the Terminatrix) is interested in playing as Samus in the rumored film Metroid Prime. I also remembering saying this in a different thread (probably in a different forum) and I think that this is how Nintendo can get involved, just like how Marvel is giving people the rights to use their characters.

-BGS

• New Gamespot Article about a meeting between Squeenix and Nintendo.
      Link: gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6110005.html
      Surprising the audience again, Miyamoto brought up the subject of Internet gaming with Kawazu. "Square Enix is famous for Internet gaming," persuaded Miyamoto. "Well, we're planning to connect the DS to the Internet, so I'm wondering if Square Enix is thinking of anything in this vein."

"I'm not sure if we can just bring our Internet games directly to the DS, since that would be rather difficult," replied Kawazu. "And a lot of people are still saying that the barrier to playing network [games] is too high. But I'm hoping that the DS will help lower that threshold, by bringing mobile games to the DS."

Could Kawazu really mean that Square Enix's mobile games, like Final Fantasy VII Before Crisis, are headed to Nintendo's new handheld? It would certainly seem that way from his comments, although nothing has been confirmed yet. One thing's for sure--he would not have said anything in front of a massive crowd of journalists had there not been relevant projects in the works.

If this happens, maybe other 3rd party companies will start releasing their Cell-phone games too. (*Wants Xenosaga Pied Piper Series REALLY bad*)
    • lord-of-shadow wrote:

I would rather Nintendo go third party then make a Zelda movie.

I agree completly...

BigGoronSword wrote:

*Brainstorm!*
      I remember reading in a magazine that the actress from Terminator 3 (the one who played as the Terminatrix) is interested in playing as Samus in the rumored film Metroid Prime. I also remembering saying this in a different thread (probably in a different forum) and I think that this is how Nintendo can get involved, just like how Marvel is giving people the rights to use their characters.

I remember reading about an Eternal Darkness movie too o_O... havent seen news on that one personally... Nintendo and Movies imo aren't working together... and for the better if you ask me.

Mr. Wonderful wrote:

New Gamespot Article about a meeting between Squeenix and Nintendo.
      Link: gamespot.com/news/2004/1...ws_6110005.html

It's all good news to me... I think the DS will ultimatly bring out the best in RPGs anyone has ever seen befor.
    • Who makes the cartoons like Pokemon, F-Zero, Kirby etc. ? An F-zero movie could work, just have a bunch of things like they have in the cartoons but introduce a new racer or maybe a new track. For Kirby he could get a new form or see a new enemy and I am most excited about the first official gameplay movie of Super Mario 64 DS. I never played the N64 version and I don't own many Mario games, this one is the thing I'm most excited about.
    • Ah the Nintendo DS, first it was surrounded by mystery for a very long period of time, and now, finally we see it in all its glory. I am looking forward to this game system quite a bit, it'll be the first portable with Wi-Fi and 3D graphics (besides the N-Gage) and the first ever console with two screens, one of which is a PDA-like touch screen. So many firsts... obviously the DS is a huge innovation. The games that have been presented to the public (release and beyond) have been very varied and most of them (not all thrid-party but they'll get it eventually) have a great support for the many features that the DS has. One example that makes me want to giggle every time I see it is Nintendogs (I know there's a new name for it... but I like that one ;) ) this game has many many things that cannot be seen unless you look deeper than a few puppies running around in your DS, for one the AI of the puppies is quite incredible, they play and interact with each other seemingless, as I've had a puppy before I can tell you that nintendo really got it right with how they react to things and act when you're not around. This game will support both uses for the mic, and for the touch screen. You can TRAIN your puppies by using your voice to teach them commands, and also (most likely) using the stylus to show them what the tricks are. So far this game and many others (including MP: First Hunt and Mario 64X4) have made me want this system more than ever. I plan on buying one the very first day that it comes out, if possible. I really think Nintendo has thought this out and they made all the right decisions, good job Nintendo keep at it you guys are still the best in my book ^_^

Hasta Luego
      "L"Chupacabras
    • Ganon's Tower just gave out the latest info on the first Zelda game that's going to be on the DS. It isn't much/any news we don't know about already, but it's good to hear the news.....anyways, this is what Ganon's Tower had to say:

Zelda: Four Swords DS Release Information!

At the Gamer's Summit in Seattle, Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo's Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing mentioned that not only is Zelda DS in development, but it will be out early next year. A specific release date has not been given, but barring delay the game will probably be out by June. Ganon's Tower will bring you more information on Four Swords DS as it becomes available!

Not only that, but yesterday they also have news about some games that are coming out on the release date (this may be old news actually. To read it, just click any link above).

If you'd like to see more new images of the Nintendo DS, just click here.

-BGS

• Uh... good news... I don't know, the japanese Nintendo DS website's been updated so you can look at that here: touch-ds.jp and uh... that's about it man, there's been a shortage on information ever since that Nintendo Gamer's summit or whatever... oh well, just a little bit less than a month left till i get it ^_^ Now if only November would hurry up and come T_T sooo faaar awaaay... In other news, we still don't know what that little connection slot is for (the one in the front) or at least I don't... if you do, PLZ TELL

Hasta Luego
      "L"Chupacabras
    • That connection slot? I think I read somewhere that it was the headphone jack. I might be mistaken, though.

In other good news, the DS ad campaign is getting underway with the slogan, 'Touching is Good'. A double entendre is always welcome in my books. Oh, I know what was good! The DS was the third (or maybe fourth?) highest selling console last week. That's obviously just from pre-orders. Interestingly, four out of the seven consoles on the chart were Nintendo consoles with GBA SP, GameCube, GBA, and DS. So, it seems that the DS and Nintendo as a whole are sailing along quite smoothly.

The DS shipment numbers have been released. 300,000 DSs will be shipped on launch with an expected 1 million by the year's end. Not sure if that's world wide or just the US or Japan. Check out cube-europe.com and ign.com for further details. That's where I got my info from.