Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Breath of the Wild Sequel Theory Thread
    • Hey all - so we're obviously all stoked for the announcement of the Sequel to Breath of the Wild.

As we've been told by mods to relocate our theories to this section of the forum - we will do so by dedicating an entire thread to well thought out/serious theories regarding the upcoming sequel right here - as the initial reveal thread is more of a hype based thread.

Any theories you may have about the sequel, post them here so we can share our thoughts & discuss what may be on our minds.

Happy theorising!
      Psn: Zugioh
      Nintendo ID: HeroOfClocktown
      --

The post was edited 2 times, last by Zugioh ().

• I'll start off with a prediction of my own.

Whatever this blue hand is - it seems to be sealing Ganondorf away.

I've seen others speculate that it Ganondorf may be using it in a way to distribute his power - but some early BotW concept art gives the hint that this arm may be used to become one with Link.

A scene in the trailer shows this arm/power becoming one with Link

I'll go full blown prediction here and say Link is going to lose his arm in this story. The outfit he's wearing in the concept art is eerily similar to what's in the reveal trailer for the sequel.

2nd theory - whilst it's easy to speculate that the redead corpse is the King of Thieves, other clues might hint towards it actually being Demise - this photo to me looks more like Demise than anyone else.

However, I would be more than happy if the king of thieves is indeed back and fully voiced.

Thoughts?
      Psn: Zugioh
      Nintendo ID: HeroOfClocktown
      --

The post was edited 2 times, last by Zugioh ().

• Here's what I'm thinking...

Seems obvious as others have said that the blue arm is what's holding "Ganondorf" (sure does look like him, from the hair, to his build and gerudo designs on his clothes) in place, and is possibly what "killed" him. From his clothing design as well as the jewellery design on the blue arm, I'm tempted to say that the blue arm has been holding him there for a seriously long time. Like, thousands of years, going back to the ancient hero defeating ganon in the legend Impa tells you. And since then, the malice has been building and seeping up throughout Hyrule, which is what led to calamity ganon manifesting during the events of BOTW (and why ganon can't manifest as anything resembling a human in botw - this body has been sealed, leaving just his malice and what sheikah tech he can find to create his manifestations). Just a hunch on that one. I'm uncertain as to whether the arm itself looks sheikah, as others have pointed out its design (and ganondorf's clothing/jewellery to an extent) look more zonai in origin. I also noticed a parallel in the colouring, patterns and colours of the environement to other patterns seen in botw.

Notice the swirl pattern on the stone spikes around the edge of the image

Similar patterns are seen on the lord of the mountain, although possibly unrelated.

Shiekah swirls are tighter and twisty-er, which is one of the reasons why I think the designs of what we see in the new trailer are not sheikah in origin.

It would be cool if this new power is related to some of the supernatural elements we see in botw, like the lord of the mountain.

It does seem that Link absorbs this arm or it's powers, we see it/him grab zelda's arm later in the trailer? So maybe he can use the arm's power as an extension of himself. I'd be pretty surprised if it is just an arm and not a whole "spirit" that guides link in a similar vein to ezlo, navi or midna. Maybe, if this is the MM of BOTW, Link can use this power to augment himself further in a similar vein to MM's masks. If the arm can hold ganondorf, maybe it is a counter to malice, and the arm-spirit's power can "clean up" pooled malice or otherwise negate it. We see malice flowing around (it engulfs a rat,) so I think it will make a significant return in some way. Maybe this power that link wields, as an extreme counter to evil, ends up being a dangerous entity itself (like the fierce diety).

A lot of people are speculating that Zelda will be playable, while this would be interesting we do see her fall at some point in the trailer suggesting that she and link are separated. Maybe into another world? That would be a very zelda sequel-y thing to do.
    • A couple little details I noticed, Ganondorf has his old rounded ears unlike the other Gerudo, nor a beard. I don't know if these mean anything ultimately, but I thought I'd just point them out.

The blue glowing hand makes me think 'ghost,' the gold 'decorations' on it makes me think 'Gerudo,' especially with the way it has a lot of the weird square patterns.

Maybe the thing holding onto Ganondorf is actually pulling the Malice out of him? The stuff is flowing outwards, but for some reason it doesn't make me feel like there is a reanimated corpse buried somewhere in all of those black writhing tendrils.

On the cave wall that the camera briefly pauses at, I suspect the picture has on it shows part of what is going on. But it's too hard to make out what that might be.

That's all I can tell for now.
      Rymes with 'Achoo.'

The post was edited 1 time, last by Aku ().

• Ok theory, I'm thinking the Castle isn't raising into the sky but rather the area around the Castle is raising upwards creating another sorta plateau and I think this will like drastically alter the structure of the world of BOTW somehow which will give us a new world to explore, as notice how it's not just the castle that is shaking but apparently the whole world, meaning whatever Zelda and Link did is causing some serious seismic activity. There's a limit to how much the world can be changed and still be believable however so I'm curious how they're gonna handle the overworld in this game.
    • Lots of Qs
      1. Why the hell is there is ganon mummy and who all knew about it?

2. His posture seems to be that of someone being stabbed, so that being the case...how the hell is there malice coming out?

3. Ganondorf has pointed ears, so that means this probably isn't OoT Ganon.

4. What could possibly be indireclty causing Ganondorf to seep out malice but aid Link?

5. The hand that is being possessed on Link, on the right those glow things, two of them have heads on them. 0:42 make sure you watch at .25 speed.
    • Aku wrote:

A couple little details I noticed, Ganondorf has his old rounded ears unlike the other Gerudo, nor a beard. I don't know if these mean anything ultimately, but I thought I'd just point them out.
      Master Works suggested that the Gerudo gained pointy ears after breeding with Hylians for a long period of time.
      But there is a statue at their town so maybe Hylia gave them directly.

OOT Ganondorf had rounded ears at the start of OOT then obtained pointy ears after recieving the Triforce of Power.
      Since he seems to not possess the ToP this time, then maybe he also lost the pointy ears in the process as he lacks the gene or something.

That concept art of an Oracle Ganondorf depicted him with regular ears. (even if his resurection was a failure and the mindless result was destroyed, he never had any of the Triforce at that time).

EnigmaFarce wrote:

I'm thinking Zonai writing, since we haven't seen anything like it.
      (Thanks @Guiguitargz )

I guess this, it was made by the monks tho.
    • I wonder if the ghastly arm bracelet could have some connection to the ancient groups of people that built certain structures we see in BotW, like the Lomei labyrinths, the Zonai Ruins, or the Thyphlo Ruins. That fragmented artifact in Lurelin Village also comes to mind.

Looking closer, it seems to have a gold-ish type of colour with green running through it. Sheikah technology in BotW has pretty much always featured the colour blue, and this item seems to have more magical properties rather than being hi-tech, so it's likely not Sheikah technology. Maybe the ancient Sheikah modelled their technology after it? Probably not, it's just a fun thought I'm having.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's something that was used in the ancient battle against Ganon that was depicted in that particular tapestry from BotW.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• One thing I want to mention about the Ganondorf theory, if this is indeed him than that raises a plothole concern. If that's him, the spiritual reincarnation of demise then who the hell was calamity Ganon? Unless there's some other reason for both of their existence at the same time, that wouldn't make sense. I mean I definitely see the connection with the hair and the headpiece, but how does this connect to the previous game?
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • pj777 wrote:

One thing I want to mention about the Ganondorf theory, if this is indeed him than that raises a plothole concern. If that's him, the spiritual reincarnation of demise then who the hell was calamity Ganon? Unless there's some other reason for both of their existence at the same time, that wouldn't make sense. I mean I definitely see the connection with the hair and the headpiece, but how does this connect to the previous game?
      It could have been an avatar of Ganon made with Malice? Maybe Ganon only attacks when he has enough Malice.

Which would also mean that we didn't actually kill Ganon in BotW but a mere shell or puppet.
    • Nonoctoro wrote:

Aku wrote:

A couple little details I noticed, Ganondorf has his old rounded ears unlike the other Gerudo, nor a beard. I don't know if these mean anything ultimately, but I thought I'd just point them out.
      Master Works suggested that the Gerudo gained pointy ears after breeding with Hylians for a long period of time.But there is a statue at their town so maybe Hylia gave them directly.

OOT Ganondorf had rounded ears at the start of OOT then obtained pointy ears after recieving the Triforce of Power.
      Since he seems to not possess the ToP this time, then maybe he also lost the pointy ears in the process as he lacks the gene or something.
      That concept art of an Oracle Ganondorf depicted him with regular ears. (even if his resurection was a failure and the mindless result was destroyed, he never had any of the Triforce at that time).
      The loss of the TriForce making him lose his pointed ears seems to be likely. What was interesting was that the pointed ears he had gained didn't even look Hylian, but in TP had the exact shape and structure of a pig's. In his mouth, he even had pointed lower canines along with the very piglike ears, which were there to suggest the idea of tusks.

But in this trailer, even as he has the rounded ears, he still kept the two short fangs on his bottom jaw , so he still has the 'tusks.'

New thing I noticed- the green glowy hand has a long claw-like talon on each finger just like the Blights' did.

@PJ777

Maybe Malice is what the spirit of Ganondorf used as a 'body' since his original body was still being 'sealed' by the hand? Or Calamity could be 'Ganon' seperated from 'Ganondorf.
      Rymes with 'Achoo.'

The post was edited 2 times, last by Aku ().

• If you look at the architecture of the underground areas in the trailer, it shares a lot of similarities with that of the Zonai ruins and the labyrinths.

What I think is that the Zonai, in the very distant past, fought and sealed Ganondorf at the center of Hyrule and eventually the castle was built over it. The hand was created (or sacrificed) to prevent Ganondorf from resurrecting himself, or perhaps to stop Demise's curse from repeating. Ganondorf is now in a mummified state, a sort of suspended animation like the Shrine Monks can put themselves into. His spirit flows out of him though, in the form of malice, which is what eventually rises up and forms Calamity Ganon. Kind of like a Sin from FFX situation - every 10,000 years, the Hero and the Princess destroy a shell of Ganondorf's spirit made out of malice, and the spirit itself retreats to its body under the castle to produce more malice so it can try again.

Another thought I had: the blue swirling glyphs coming up from the hand. What if that energy is what powers the Ancient Furnaces and the Shrines? That's not grounded in evidence, but it would be a nice bit of irony - the Sheikah based their technology on energy derived from Ganondorf's infinite wellspring of malice.
    • First of all, every villain is just the incarnation of Demise's hatred. "An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!"

The shadow definitely looked like Demise. But I don't think we will get Demise in the flesh because the whole point of him was retconning every villain in the franchise.

Second, I have to point out that the events of the trailer happen out of order. Such as we see Link grabbing Zelda's hand as she falls down. And then a few seconds later, the ground underneath her breaks. This might suggest that she is not playable in the game if she is once again captured.

Not only do things happen out of order, but not every event in the trailer has to occur at the same location. It has been said that this can't take place under Hyrule Castle because we see the entrance to what looks like a dungeon. Could be a different location. It just seems natural that the green energy or something is causing the castle to rise from beneath.

Does it become a tower? Or does it rise into the sky? It'd be cool if there was an open sky overworld.

Also, in regards to Link and the green energy. As he extends his hand, he looks to be defensive. But I get the impression that perhaps he has magical abilities?
      This is the barnyard of violence! This is the barnyard of violence!