Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Discussion
    EU Parliamentary Elections (Reactions thread)
    • This thread is to discuss the EU Parliamentary elections as they happen.

We haven't done a reactions thread in a while, but the basic premise is that some normal SD rules are suspended for this thread (namely those that revolve around required content of posts, though normal ZU rules still apply.) So basically you can give your hot takes regarding what is happening in the EU elections without having to debate or formulate are argument, or make a post that is of normal SD quality.

All I've heard of the EU elections so far has been from the film The Brink which followed Steve Bannon's attempt at regaining his relevance and notoriety after the debacle that was his support and embarrassing loss of Roy Moore in Alabama. He's been spending all his time trying to build a coalition of anti EU and anti immigrant parties to win the EU Parliament and destroy it from the inside.
    • Pietro wrote:

All I've heard of the EU elections so far has been from the film The Brink which followed Steve Bannon's attempt at regaining his relevance and notoriety after the debacle that was his support and embarrassing loss of Roy Moore in Alabama. He's been spending all his time trying to build a coalition of anti EU and anti immigrant parties to win the EU Parliament and destroy it from the inside.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movement_(populist_group)

Sloppy Steve's group has been snubbed by pretty much all the right-populists. AFD, the Austrian Freedom Party, UKIP, and the Front National (or whatever they rebranded it as) have all declined to join.

Pretty much the only high-profile party to join was Lega Nord. SAD!

Silver wrote:

bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48374098?SThisFB=

The government continues to disintegrate with the polls opening for the EU elections less than nine hours away

PM me for the clan test!

Avatar & sig by the amazing Liah!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silver ().

• bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48417228 uk election results are starting to trickle in

Looks like Brexit party will win a plurality, but I reckon that's mostly to do with the other main Brexiter parties, the Tories and UKIP, being in the midst of a civil war and utterly irrelevant respectively. The Remainer vote is more spread out, but it looks like the Lib Dems may be the runners up.

Labour and especially the Tories will probably take a shellacking
      PM me for the clan test!

Avatar & sig by the amazing Liah!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silver ().

• no

mep elections have nothing to do with who is negotiating brexit (not that that is stopping farage from now demanding a seat at the table lol) - that's the federal government and whomever replaces may in june. meps represent the nation in the euro parliament.

this vote is seen more as a pulse check on the nation and where they stand. a lot of people are going to say THE BREXIT PARTY GOT THE MOST SEATS SO OBVIOUSLY WE NEED TO BREXIT STILL and yeah, they got a plurality of seats as a single issue party in a vote seen as almost like a referendum on brexit. but if you look at the total seats of parties elected the anti brexit parties won more.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Lucretia wrote:

yeah like just a casual look at it you can see the liberal dems and the greens combined outpace the brexit party.

corbyn is just a damn wet fish
      Yes, plus Tories+Labour are not really pro-Brexit either (hence why they got a pummeling, for their unclear stance), the only hard pro-Brexit party in the MEP election was the Brexit party.

I have to say I enjoyed that Tories and Labour got rekt, they have both been basically useless since the last election, and the parliament is a complete laughing stock. Now all we need is for the actual election to shake things up as well, because in the end MEP elections won't change anything... other than show the displeasure that pretty much everyone in the country feels at the moment (both sides of Brexit argument).

In Greece, the left wing government (who I prefer over the alternatives) got rekt in the MEP elections and the PM declared early national elections, as he doesn't feel like he has the support of the people anymore, supposedly to happen June 30. I am really not looking forward to the next government being neo-liberal.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 2 times, last by Please Understand ().

• So, in Germany Merkel's (slightly) Conserative Party still has a relative majority of the votes, but lost some. Around 22% together with 6% with their Bavarian Sister Party. The Greens (which I voted for) got around 20% and have destroyed the Social Democratic Party (15%, lol!), who for the first time in history (they even existed way back in the German Empire under Bismarck) got under 20% in national elections.(*) Luckily, the Right Wing Idiotic Party just got around 10% of the votes, which our system can handle. Then there's the Radical Left and the Neo-Liberals, who both got around 5%, but they're not really important, because they both are ideologists who are not really ready to govern on a national level!(**)
      I'm just happy the Greens are now the second most popular and influential party in Germany.

* So, basically they had put some economic reforms under Merkel's predecessor as chancelor 15 years ago, cutting social welfare, and some say Germany still profits from this as our labour got cheaper (staying competetive on world market), because we also created a lot of low-wage jobs after these reforms. So yeah...
      They are losing constantly in national elections since that time.

** A possible coalition between Conservatives, Greens and Neo-Liberals even failed after the election in 2017, because the liberal idiots pulled out of it. I was fucking mad at them back then, because I wanted this government to happen! Then the Social Democrats filled the gap, and are destroying themselves in the process in a not-so-grand-anymore coalition since then. I don't mind! Nobody knows what they stand for anyway.

Please Understand wrote:

I have to say I enjoyed that Tories and Labour got rekt, they have both been basically useless since the last election, and the parliament is a complete laughing stock.
      Hm, the two most popular parties in GB (Brexit Party and Liberal Democrats) have a clear stance on Brexit. I wonder if there is a connection...?
      Nah, must be coincidence!

Please Understand wrote:

In Greece, the left wing government (who I prefer over the alternatives) got rekt in the MEP elections and the PM declared early national elections, as he doesn't feel like he has the support of the people anymore, supposedly to happen June 30. I am really not looking forward to the next government being neo-liberal.
      Yes, that really is a shame. I hope they get their chance again in 5 years or so. I really like how they turned from radical populists into a serious government.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage.
      This puppet's role has just ended..."
      - Majora

My major theories:

Counting the Population of Termina

Counting the Population of Hyrule (OoT)

The post was edited 4 times, last by Romano-British Medli ().

• Here are my ordered thoughts:
      1. "Unclear" and remain parties have a majority, so there should at least be a second referendum for the sake of... the majority of voters.
      2. I'm super freaking pumped for this 'Green Wave' that's happened both here in the UK and across Europe, it seems climate change is finally becoming an important voter issue. I was going back and forth between the Greens and my eventual pick, but I'm glad a lot more are finding the conviction to vote for them and not see it as a "waste" or what have you.
      3. Scotland voting primarily for SNP and unanimously for remain parties* is an obvious indication of our rejection for Brexit, regardless of the votes gained by the Brexit party which are still outweighed by unclear and remain parties.
      4. Scotland voting primarily for SNP is totally at odds with England & Wales, proving once again that the countries have distinct political climates, with opposing ideals, and will (hopefully) provide good ammo for a second independence referendum.
      5. Voter turnout is still appalling, surprise surprise. The system hinders political literacy and it's no wonder movements like Brexit gain any traction from that.

*I know it doesn't work like other elections and particular council area majorities don't matter, but it's a good shorthand still.