Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Is the Great Plateau really Skyloft?
    • In Zelda BOTW the Old Man tells you according to legends the Great Plateau is the birth place of the kingdom of Hyrule. So I would believe most people may think of Skyloft from Skyward Sword. However if you ignore the scaling difference from game to game the land does match up with a few minor changes. Yet what if this isn't the same Skyloft or isn't Skyloft at all. Main point, is Skyloft the Great Plateau?

Listed below is how it could and could not be Skyloft. I would like to know
      what you think. I have mixed opinions myself.

( How it could )
      1. Minus the giant Hylia statue's island the land matches up.

2. Skyloft is where the Triforce was left untill Hylia hid it and sent it and the Hylians into the skies. This could mean this is Hyrule's birth place according to the Hylians.

3. Skyloft and The Temple of Time both has a gateway to the sacred realm.
      However it would seem it was blocked off in both games.

4. Game wise both places is where you start at and get the para glider.
      This is somewhat pointless but they both share that detail.

( How it Could Not )

1. Knights Academy is nowhere to be found but there is an Abbey.

2. Skyloft has no town or fountain., only the bazaar, beetle's flying shop, and the knights academy. The only way for it to have a town is from the people who stayed behind or IF the wind tribe found it. The Wind Tribe is from Minish Cap.

3 On my chart where 4 is located. Its part of mount Hylia on the GP and a house and graveyard on Skyloft.

4 The old man says nothing about a sky island.

5. This is another Theory that ties in with this one. The GP is an alternate Skyloft
      sense SS and every other game was based on legends. This could explain why the giant goddess statue is not in Faron woods.

Well those are some of my thoughts. I would like to know what all of you think about this.

• It's the Birthplace of Hyrule since it's where the humans of Skyloft settled on the Surface.

Only the Isle of the Goddess returned to the Surface, the rest of Skyloft was left to the Sky and was probably used to build the Palace of Winds/City in the Sky.

There is a Young girl named Shamae at the Woodland Stable that says this :

"I sometimes see it in my dreams. Do you think that a long time ago people used to live in the sky? I think so..." — Shamae

"I want to visit the land in the sky by balloon. Then, I'm going to ride a really big bird. Yep, that's my dream!" — Shamae

And I don't have that line right know but she said that only the children with good hearts can see the land in the Sky (which sounds like what the Minish also were.)

Sage of Time wrote:

Some but it doesn't entierly, Skyloft is not that large.

Sage of Time wrote:

Skyloft is where the Triforce was left untill Hylia hid it and sent it and the Hylians into the skies. This could mean this is Hyrule's birth place according to the Hylians.
      That was the Isle of Hylia, which is not a part of Skyloft anymore as it recompleted the Temple of Hylia.

Sage of Time wrote:

3. Skyloft and The Temple of Time both has a gateway to the sacred realm.
      However it would seem it was blocked off in both games.
      If the Silent Realm Indeed became the Sacred Realm, so yes.
      Remember that the Isle of the Goddess is a part of the Temple of Hylia which was used for the construction of the Temple of Time.

Sage of Time wrote:

but there is an Abbey.
      This building is less than 10 000 years old.

Sage of Time wrote:

( How it Could Not )
      Clearly explains why not.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nonoctoro ().

• Sage of Time wrote:

Regardless of the vagueness of the other parts of this theory, I find this part super interesting (particularly how the water matches up almost exactly). Perhaps the creators who designed the Great Plateau were inspired by Skyloft? Or perhaps its resemblance was done purposefully?

While it seems obvious that the Temple of Time matches-up with the Sealed Temple (where Skyloft's Goddess Statue eventually resides), we cannot assume that the rest of Skyloft descended along with it.

I found the geographical resemblance interesting nonetheless.
    • The Great Plateau also has its own cloud barrier at the beginning of the game, which prevents Link from simply climbing down.

That being said, I'm still undecided. The presence of the Temple of Time so far from Hyrule Castle and so far from its position in OoT really complicates things for me.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Only the Goddess Statue island returned to the surface, the rest likely stayed up in the air. That said there are plenty of similarities between the two that I didn't notice before you pointed them out so perhaps the terrain of the GP was somehow altered to pay homage to Skyloft.

Also it's abundantly clear that the area of the GP is the same area as Faron Woods and the Sealed Grounds in SS, due to the close proximity of Faron Woods and Lake Floria in BOTW...which only makes the placement of the ToT in OOT all the more confusing and annoying.
    • Nonoctoro wrote:

Some but it doesn't entierly, Skyloft is not that large.
      True skyloft is small but put it into an open world like BOTW and it would be 5 or 10 times bigger. This is why i said ignore the scaling differences. They would be different from game to game.

Nonoctoro wrote:

If the Silent Realm Indeed became the Sacred Realm, so yes.
      Remember that the Isle of the Goddess is a part of the Temple of Hylia which was used for the construction of the Temple of Time.

One thanks for reminding me the name of the island. Two I was wrong since the temples are one and the same. On top of that in BOTW the temple of time and the temple of Hylia / sealed ruins are in two different places. The Forgotten Temple has the giant Hylia statue in it with the circle below.

Nonoctoro wrote:

Clearly explains why not.
      I tried to hold back because I over explain things most the time.
      However I will let you and the others decide if you want me to post
      my full thoughts.

The Gossip Stone wrote:

Perhaps the creators who designed the Great Plateau were inspired by Skyloft? Or perhaps its resemblance was done purposefully?
      I can see that. Its like the lost woods....and now thinking about it. Within past games the lost woods went by three to four names. Could that be the same with Skyloft?
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

which only makes the placement of the ToT in OOT all the more confusing and annoying.
      I strongly believe that the ToT has been retconned south, akin to its location in SS and TP.

I guess I don't have a lot of great evidence for this. There's cathedral ruins in BotW's castle town that seem like a spot on homage to OoT's Temple of Time. Of course, it's a burned husk, but you can see Death Mountain to the distance, on the right, exactly like you could in OoT. The placement compared to the castle is also very similar. My take is that they left us this Easter egg as kind of a hint that this place wasn't the real deal.

Also I'm not really sure how much place meta discussions like this have? Do we, as theorists, believe in retcons? Or is all game evidence equal?
    • Velivolo wrote:

Mango The Magician wrote:

which only makes the placement of the ToT in OOT all the more confusing and annoying.
      I strongly believe that the ToT has been retconned south, akin to its location in SS and TP.
      I guess I don't have a lot of great evidence for this. There's cathedral ruins in BotW's castle town that seem like a spot on homage to OoT's Temple of Time. Of course, it's a burned husk, but you can see Death Mountain to the distance, on the right, exactly like you could in OoT. The placement compared to the castle is also very similar. My take is that they left us this Easter egg as kind of a hint that this place wasn't the real deal.

Also I'm not really sure how much place meta discussions like this have? Do we, as theorists, believe in retcons? Or is all game evidence equal?
      Honestly the cathedral is actually a really good place for the original ToT, the only issue is the orientation, as the entrance to the cathedral is in the back opposite of where the entrance in ToT, but if you just flip it so the entrance is facing the direction of the castle and a lot lines up really well.

Anyways, it's up to the individual to determine whether they do or don't consider retcons canon...there's a lot of game evidence that contradicts in fact, so sometimes it may save you a lot of trouble to just consider a retcon.
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

Honestly the cathedral is actually a really good place for the original ToT, the only issue is the orientation, as the entrance to the cathedral is in the back opposite of where the entrance in ToT, but if you just flip it so the entrance is facing the direction of the castle and a lot lines up really well.

Anyways, it's up to the individual to determine whether they do or don't consider retcons canon...there's a lot of game evidence that contradicts in fact, so sometimes it may save you a lot of trouble to just consider a retcon.
      That's true, but it's on the wrong side of the field. Like, it should be north of Lon Lon and in BotW it's south of. Even then, changing the orientation of the ToT would still be a minor retcon.

I'm very on board with considering retcons, personally. To me, the creator's intention is possibly the most important interpretation, and to me a retcon is the creator trying to fix something.
    • I looked into a few more things and will go into it with more detail. This will also explain how the great plateau is skyloft and how it is not. Also please keep in mind the scaling differences. Such as skyloft in SS was made to be a hub world while BOTW has no hub world / area. I know this is long but I wanted to make it clear as possible.

How Skyloft can be the GP

Temple of Time and the Isle of the Goddess.

Now when it comes to the history and locations for the Temple of Time it starts with the isle of the goddess where the Triforce and the goddess sword was hidden. However at the end of SS the island breaks away from Skyloft and becomes part of the sealed ruins. This would later be built over and become the second temple of time / light. First one was in Lanaryu’s desert and the Hyrule historia and encyclopedia explains the rest.

The Great Plateau

Now that is said the temple of time is only one part of this theory. When it comes to Skyloft and the Great Plateau the land matches up but not 100%. If the GP is Skyloft it gained two mountains and two forests. This would also mean the knight’s academy was lost and an Abbey was built. (You can also tell the Academy and the Abbey has two different layouts if you follow the ruins. Each archway could be a doorway. ) Yet the Abbey, the temple of time, the shrines, ect would be built after Skyloft was reunited with Hyrule, unless the wind tribe found Skyloft and added to it. However there is the Occoo but….I believe there were a few shekahs who knew about it. There was a shekah stone next to the knight’s academy. Also Skyloft would continue to move in the skies over time before landing. This is why it’s far away from where the sealed ruins are found.

(Extra Note: If this is the real TOT from OOT, the three building before it is the new places to take Din, Nayru, and Farorei’s pearl or the spiritual stones. Each building holds a symbol within it on the floor.)

Now when it comes to the Giant Hylia statue and it’s island, it would not be part of the GP but you can find it up north. It is hidden within a canyon in some ruins called the Forgotten Temple. You can stand n the hands of the Hylia statue and float down to the circle below…or you could if there wasn’t a shrine in the way. None the less you can see the circle and it’s like the beginning of SS. Now the sealed ruins had only two rooms in SS but add the section where the Hylia statue is and there are three. I also understand the sealed ruins are in Faron woods while the forgotten temple is in a canyon. Yet at some point it may have sunk underground or collapsed into the canyon.

(Extra Note: The Great Fairy that is near the canyon says the land fell into decay and overrun by monsters. It would stay like that until her power returns. Also the fire dragon travels through the canyon as well. Each dragon and Great fairy effects the land that they watch over. )

Faron Woods and the Lost Woods

I bring this part up because if the sealed ruins / temple of Hylia is the forgotten temple, that means it’s should be next to Faron Woods / the lost woods. Keep in mind the Hyrule encyclopedia shows Faron woods from SS is the Lost woods / Kokiri forest in OOT. Now to make this confusing BOTW makes The great forest of Hyrule the lost woods and Korok forest. This makes since because that is what is was in OOT. However Faron woods with Lake Floria is down south. (The only thing I can think of is the sacred realm changed it and its twin was placed up north. This happens in Zelda ALTTP and LBW but with other landmarks. As well Sky view temple is / part of Zora's domain.)

How the Great Plateau could not be Skyloft

Back to the Temple of Time

Now when it comes to explaining how the GP is not Skyloft focus on the child timeline ( Majora’s Mask – TP – FSA ) TP to be clear. Within TP we meet a person named Shad. He studies history and wants to learn more from a book he was given. While helping him you must return to Faron woods then enter the lost woods where the temple of time is located. Since Link has the master sword he is able to activate the door of time which a goddess stone is nearby to create a short cut. Link enters the door of time which resembles the door to enter the giant hylia statue from SS. However this temple of time is the same one from OOT but slightly updated. Also the main entrance is blocked unless the door of time is the entrance and doesn’t work for everyone. This would also mean the ruins you encounter is part of Hyrule Castle town from OOT. This would make since if Ganondorf still tried to take over Hyrule. There are also two structures before the temple, however it’s unclear what they could be.

(Extra Note: because you go to the temple of light here it would seem you enter the sacred realm since both temples are one and the same. Not only that the chambers of the sages would be there too just a slightly different look. Now since that is said in BOTW within the temple of time where we see the first Hylia statue, this could be where the door of time would have been. On top of that two graves sit nearby that resembles the graves from OOT. However the only room that is missing is where the master sword would be placed. )

City in the Sky

Sometime later you help Shad again while at the same time helping the Occoo. You and Shad find a somewhat high tech cannon but in ruins. After getting it fixed at Lake Hylia you get shot into the sky south of the desert and land within the city in the sky, home of the Occoo. (The Occoo were once sky people who devolved? This is somewhat unclear to me. ) None the less because they live in this city this could also be Skyloft or a place the wind tribe built. However Skyloft is the only sky town / city, if they are the same. The city in the sky is also made of five sections. Two sections are buildings where the Occoos could live or work, one section is where they store more cannons, then there is a hub and a tower. There is also a symbol on the doors that resembles the air element from Minish Cap and the Four Sword games.

After Twilight Princess

Now at the end of TP you see Shad and the other people you help looking at the ruins of the temple of time. This could mean they rebuilt it sometime later. Then after the events of FSA takes place. The Hylians were looking for more guardians, ect. Then the land around the temple of time rose from the ground and created the GP. Then after some time people built stairs to the top of the GP. (Near the first shrine there is some water with stairs leading into it, Then there is a blocked passage outside the GP leading to a road.) However this could have been blocked within the 100 years that Link was recovering. Yet this is the part where it’s up to your imagination.

Alternate Timeline (Hyrule Warriors)

So when it comes to Hyrule Warriors I understand it’s not part of the main canon timeline. Within Hyrule warriors the same events happen from the beginning to Twilight Princess but with a twist. Cia the sorceries changed this alternate Hyrule’s timeline. We also have to keep in mind that this was the game that came out while Nintendo was working on BOTW. Yet there are still a few changes between the games. Now when it comes to the sealed ruins it’s in the same spot as the Forgotten temple. Now for the rest of the map it’s once again not 100% but it’s the closest map. Yet each time jump in HW does not have the past heroes. So it’s kind of a Hyrule without Link. On top of all of this, the Skyloft we see does not match with BOTW’s GP.

Is it possible BOTW takes place after HW?

Did the GP fall from the sky or rise from the ground?

Is the GP another name for Skyloft like the great forest of Hyrule is also korok forest and the lost woods?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sage of Time ().

• I think one big piece of evidence in favor of your theory is that there's headstones on the GP that read in Hylian something like "here is where the King founded the country of Hyrule".

If Zelda and Link founded a monarchy at the end of Skyward Sword, and the "romance trailer" and Link's rivalry with Groose seems to suggest there was definitely chemistry, then the Sealed Temple may be considered the place where the foundations of Hyrule were lain, i.e. the Great Plateau.
      And Link would be its first king.

The post was edited 2 times, last by gamtos ().

• My only personal way to make sense of GP being the same area as OoT's Castle Town is the idea that the Sheikah may have constructed (along with the Divine beasts) A mean of transporting the Castle to higher\safer lands to keep Calamity Ganon away.

We know the TOT was built to house the master sword on top of the Sealed Grounds. So moving the Temple to a new location may have been a means to trick Ganondorf. Assuming all he knew was that the Temple was the door way to the Sacred Realm. But it doesn't have to be. It just happened to be on top of the sealed grounds at the time. Rendering the Temple useless and inert when they moved it and leaving the sealed grounds in the same place where the Lost Woods is located now.

The mechanism that moved the GP is most likely the same tech that makes Vah Medoh fly and for those that played the DLC, may have been the giant platform you fight the Ancient Monk on.

Let's also take into account Terraforming of the land, (whether natural or not) can occur in mere decades let alone thousands of years. Any minor discrepancies for certain land marks, including their orientation on the compass can be accounted for when all things are considered.

I do like how you attempted to fit Hyrule warriors map into the equation. That's a nice catch.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• I will acknowledge that the section around the TOT could be HCT and the other we see was built between OOT and TP. I will also admit my theory is not 100%. I also watched a video that talked about the 5 unsolved Zelda mysteries and the Great Plateau is one of them. Yet the guy talks about HCT and the castle from OOT was moved and rotated. On top of that the lost woods and the Deku tree was where the GP is. So in other words they swapped locations and OOT’s HCT and castle became the GP. So that means a new HCT and castle was built. Yet this leads to a few questions. Also here is a link to the video for more info.

Hyrule Castle Town’s History

So when it comes to the town / city itself it started in Minish cap but it was in a different land. Because Death Mountain was still active and covered in lava while the only clear land was across some water that is seen in Four Sword. The land also is where the wind palace / Vaati’s Tower is located. After FS, HCT is seen between Death Mountain and the Gerudo Desert. It’s unclear if Talos Caves / mountain are still in its same location from FS. Now after OOT, HCT is only seen in TP and ST. Yet the one from ST is from New Hyrule. As well the one from TP may not be the one from OOT. On top of that the only evidence is from the Hyrule encyclopedia but all it says is the pedestal of the master sword was moved. In TP we also see the TOT as well but no clear evidence of a town. However in the downfall timeline in Zelda 1 or 2’s handbook it shows HCT part of Hyrule castle.

The Great Plateau 2nd theory

As the video shows OOT’s HCT and castle could be where the GP is now. The map the guy shows matches up and we know the land would change little by little over time. However I don’t see the eastern abbey being where Hyrule Castle was located. (Game wise) If this was the downfall timeline or the adult timeline that section would be a giant hole. Yet the only thing I can think of is, Ganondorf with his small army took down HCT and the castle before being captured and sent to the Twilight Realm. (child timeline) This would mean The King or Zelda from OOT made Hyrule Castle into a safe place where anyone could stay. Then later a new HCT and Castle would be built and TP and FSA went on as normal.

A few questions

1. If Lon Lon Ranch has ruins of its OOT counterpart, Why doesn’t HCT?

2. If HCT is on the GP that means Mount Hylia was part of Death Mountain. When did Death Mountain freeze? On top of that does that mean the rest of the GP is part of OOT’s Hyrule Field?

3. The TOT has brownish bricks in OOT (maybe to show how old it is.) while in BOTW its grayish bricks. Do you think the TOT was rebuilt or was there two?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sage of Time ().

• Sage of Time wrote:

1. If Lon Lon Ranch has ruins of its OOT counterpart, Why doesn’t HCT?

It's not the same ranch as in OoT. IIRC I think I read somewhere about the dev notes stating it wasn't meant to be the same ranch, Just call back to it. The Ranch on Botw was likely built within the past few centuries if not decades before the 2nd calamity.

I have a head cannon that Lon Lon Ranch is like a franchise in which a ranch is built to look the same in multiple locations. Like how Mcdonalds displays the Giant M or Pizza hut usually has a red roof.

Sage of Time wrote:

2. If HCT is on the GP that means Mount Hylia was part of Death Mountain. When did Death Mountain freeze? On top of that does that mean the rest of the GP is part of OOT’s Hyrule Field?
      I believe HCT was relocated piece by piece and not all at once. It's possible the plateau as well and Mt Hylia were always there and HCT was placed on top of it. The GP was likely picked because of Mt Hylia being a good shelter from forces from the south

We see in OoT Ganondorf had the power to lift the entire Hyrule castle into the air and have it remain floating for an undisclosed amount of time. one could say he employed the ToP to perform the feat but between the the strength of the Golden Gauntlets and the sages creating magical rainbow bridges, I believe such a task is well within reach without the Triforce.

Sage of Time wrote:

3. The TOT has brownish bricks in OOT (maybe to show how old it is.) while in BOTW its grayish bricks. Do you think the TOT was rebuilt or was there two?

Going along with the relocation hypothesis, I would say the temple was certainly rebuilt, refurbished over time. The design, while similar is not quite the same. We may be looking at a Ship of Theseus paradox when it comes to the Tot's presence on the GP.

When it comes to relocating HCT there are a lot of advantages that the GP has to offer. MT Hylia offers protection and a healthy source of water from the southern border. Its height offers safety from the known flooding that plagued Hyrule in the past, (According to the Zora monuments.) Relocating the Temple could help be a red herring to anyone attempting to locate the Triforce or the Sacred Realm. There is also the obvious military advantage of having the high grounds.

The castle town may have been built in a similar fashion as the one in OoT but, like Lon Lon ranch, Doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same town. Just happens to be one that resembles it.
      I can't tell you how many streets are named "MAIN ST" from city to city.

Couple this with fading legend and lost and mistranslated historical accounts. King Rhoam's claims that the GP is the birth place of Hyrule would not be a surprising mistake to make.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.