Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Post your Zelda tiers
    • Vulpes wrote:

      john_marston wrote:

      piles of dialogue and story exposition
      You say that like it's a bad thing...
      I think it is. The more there is the more interruption from having fun playing the actual game. I do not like. That's where BotW comes in. It's perfect for someone like me who likes to simply play the game and not have to sift through all that dialogue while doing it.
    • The Baton of the Wind wrote:


      I think it is. The more there is the more interruption from having fun playing the actual game.
      See, if I don't get story and dialogue and things like that, I don't have fun playing the game. I need context for my actions, otherwise they don't have any meaning.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Vulpes wrote:

      The Baton of the Wind wrote:

      I think it is. The more there is the more interruption from having fun playing the actual game.
      See, if I don't get story and dialogue and things like that, I don't have fun playing the game. I need context for my actions, otherwise they don't have any meaning.
      From what I know about your taste Vulpes, BotW may not be your game. Which is fine. But just to clarify, there is story and dialogue and context for your actions in BotW. I personally think it's one of the better, more nuanced stories told in a Zelda game, though there is plenty of disagreement there. What people mean about the lack of "piles of dialogue and plot" is that there are very few moments where the gameplay is halted for a cutscene. The story is mostly told in conversations with NPCs that you participate in, journals and diaries that you read, and the memories that you can recover, which are cutscenes but also optional. In other words, the plot isn't generally presented to you, it's something you have to seek out. It's definitely present in-game though, unlike LoZ where it's almost entirely in the manual.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • The problem with presenting a story that way is that it can feel like nothing actually happens. It doesn't help that the game is open world, which also tends to make it feel like nothing happens. But I'll probably get around to playing it soon. Either I'll like it, in which case, great, or I won't, in which case I get to come on here and lecture you all about how your opinion is wrong. So I win either way!
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Sure, but I wasn't making an argument for that approach to storytelling being better (though personally I think it is). I was just trying to clarify that if you're worried about there being no plot, that's not true. The comparison to LoZ is apt in some ways but not in others. Either way you should give it a try.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.

      Post by ich Will ().

      This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • ich Will wrote:

      I've updated my list. Again keep in mind the bottom tier isn't me calling the games bad, it's just a lack of interest on my part (I've played and beaten MM, ALttP, and LA a couple of times, played HW for a couple of hours, not played Four Swords, and barely touched FSA).


      Since I feel that placing MM, ALttP, and LA at the bottom tier might have been a little edgy rash of me, I think placing them in 'Above Average' might be a bit more fitting considering how I feel about them (and yes I know, that's still blasphemy in the eyes of some). Still, a significant factor in this tier list is how much I feel like replaying a particular game, and in that aspect alone they might still be on the bottom tier. Another significant factor with this tier list is what memories I have with a game, and none particularly stand out for me with those three. Perhaps I've forgotten for whatever reason(s) or I just never had any particular ones to begin with? I know the former might be true for MM, because I remember that I used to rank it as being up there with OoT, but I can't remember why as that was a very long time ago in the early 00's.

      And as I said before, I was late to the party with ALttP and LA and certain other Zelda titles ended up stealing their thunder for me. Plus you know, preferences.