Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Post your Zelda tiers
    • I decided to quickly use that template to repost my tiers.

      I'm painfully aware that I put so many games in the Superb tier. Maybe I should make another tier. Or maybe I should throw SS and TMC to 'great'.

      What I also notice is that I give less credit to some games in hindsight. Take Skyward Sword: I absolutely adored it the first time I played it. I also loved it the second time. But right now, I ask myself 'Really? Right next to BotW?'
      The same with ALttP, which I often call my favorite Zelda. I just played it so often that I'm pretty tired of it right now. I'd rather replay OoA, which I only beat once. But does that mean ALttP isn't superb? I don't think so.

      It's complicated.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • I haven't revisited most of the games in too long, but this is a rough estimate:



      Some of these could change, like AoL and/or SS could go down a notch, and BotW could perhaps possibly be up there with OoT. And I don't exactly dislike Link's Awakening, it just never stood out for me as it was given to me along with the Oracle games, and OoA's concept of time manipulation and its focus on puzzles made it stand out for me among the three. I also beat OoA before playing OoS, making the latter feel like it was too much of the same again which led to me forgetting it for many years.

      With TWW I feel I'm being a bit generous since while I did love my first playthrough of it, I've never really felt like replaying it because of all the sailing and the small amount of land. So it just gets some extra kudos because I loved it the first time around I guess.

      I used to like MM when it was first released, but that was just because it was a new Zelda experience, I never saw the appeal or depth in its themes that others do. As for ALttP, I missed out on it in the SNES days and jumped from LoZ and AoL straight to OoT. It just did not live up to the hype for me.

      Hyrule Warriors and FSA are different though, they are games I've barely played and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

      In the end personal preference is of course a significant factor, quality is not the single factor nor is it the most dominant one.

      The post was edited 3 times, last by ich Will ().

    • Ty. wrote:

      Man it's been a long time since I posted in the Zelda Section. Okie dokie, let's do this!



      The Wind Waker is amazing and infinitely repayable. I might go play it now.
      lmao the vast majority is ''Utter Trash'' or lower, why are you on this site xD

      Mirren wrote:

      In my mind, 3D Zelda is the major leagues, 2D Zelda is the minors #sorrynotsorry
      Yeah I generally feel the same. But as time has passed, I've started appreciating how to the point and well put together some of the 2D games are, compared to for example how bland and slow SS can be. In 2019 (with my limited time), I'd rather pick up and play LA or ALttP than SS.


      Also @ the people putting OG tLoZ in trash tiers: play the game with a map that reveals some/all overworld secrets. It was sorta meant to be played like that anyway. Jumped many tiers for me after doing this
    • I have the original zelda in the lower tier because it has no in game plot, simple puzzles like pushing blocks in a certain direction and killing every enemy in the room, very boring combat, and how cryptic it is. It was fine for it's time, but I don't think it's aged well. I'd rather play A Link to the Past. Also fun fact the original was the first Zelda I played so it's not a case of being spoiled by the newer games either.

      Oh and aside from when I was a kid and didn't have internet, I've always beaten the original with maps online. At least for death mountain and some of the overworld secrets.



      Check out my graphic design thread and get a banner for your thread today! Tru's Banner Workshop

      The post was edited 2 times, last by TruEdge67 ().

    • The thing is, I got my copy used as a kid and there was no internet so the story may as well have been non-existant lol. Really the lack of in game plot is the least of my issues with the original. I know a lot of games back then had it in the manual. It's the other things that make it hard for me to go back to when I could be playing better Zelda games.



      Check out my graphic design thread and get a banner for your thread today! Tru's Banner Workshop

      The post was edited 1 time, last by TruEdge67 ().

    • I've updated my list. Again keep in mind the bottom tier isn't me calling the games bad, it's just a lack of interest on my part (I've played and beaten MM, ALttP, and LA a couple of times, played HW for a couple of hours, not played Four Swords, and barely touched FSA).



      With this list I kind of feel like TWW could possibly be in the category below it, or in between 'Good' and 'Above average'.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by ich Will ().

    • john_marston wrote:

      Display Spoiler

      Ty. wrote:

      Man it's been a long time since I posted in the Zelda Section. Okie dokie, let's do this!



      The Wind Waker is amazing and infinitely repayable. I might go play it now.


      lmao the vast majority is ''Utter Trash'' or lower, why are you on this site xD


      I'm just a huge edge lord. Haha.

      I mean, I'm mostly just messing around and they're not "utter trash", but the only Zelda games I've particularly enjoyed are WW, OoT, MM and PH. TP was ok, I suppose. Haha.

      Post by GregariousTree ().

      This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • TruEdge67 wrote:

      The thing is, I got my copy used as a kid and there was no internet so the story may as well have been non-existant lol. Really the lack of in game plot is the least of my issues with the original. I know a lot of games back then had it in the manual. It's the other things that make it hard for me to go back to when I could be playing better Zelda games.
      Yeah but was the point of @john_marston. You didn't play the game the way you were supposed to, so that's why it disappointed. Read the manual, use/make a map and suddenly it's a much better game.

      I can vouch for that. I didn't enjoy it the first time I played it. I don't even know if I beat the game. But then I made my own map and I ended up loving it.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • No such thing as a bad Zelda game.



      Though I'm not quite sure why they included Dynasty Hyrule Warriors on here. It's not a Zelda game, it's a Zelda themed Dynasty Warriors game.
      Images
      • my-image.png

        759.47 kB, 1,280×735, viewed 68 times
    • john_marston wrote:

      Nani!? MM, ALttP, and LA in bottom tier?
      As I said bottom tier doesn't mean I dislike them or consider them to be bad, I just don't care about them. They're in a tier of 'cool, it's probably a quality game but I gave it a chance and it's not my thing'. Or in the case of FSA and HW, I've barely played them and would not say no to playing them again, but I ain't gonna pursue them.

      The reasons might be because I'm generally not into characters or their stories in video games, or how the world or island is going under because of the moon or a dream, and MM's limited time mechanics. Not to mention I skipped ALttP and LA in their prime and got into the other Gameboy Zeldas before them, so the Oracles and OoT kind of stole their thunders for me. And LA's overworld strikes me as lacking in biomes and just kind of seems small compared to the other Gameboy Zeldas.

      The post was edited 3 times, last by ich Will ().

    • john_marston wrote:

      The lack of plot is mainly because it's a NES game–the manual has the backstory: another thing that was expected you'd go through before you'd play the game.

      BotW really doesn't have much more plot than tLoZ actually (when including the manual).
      I keep thinking I need to get around to playing Breath of the Wild, and then I hear stuff like this.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Vulpes wrote:

      I keep thinking I need to get around to playing Breath of the Wild, and then I hear stuff like this.
      Nah still play BotW, it's spectacular. It's a bit of an over-correction from SS and goes back to its Zelda roots. So no more linear progression, handholding, small limited overworld, easy combat, piles of dialogue and story exposition, etc. In stead, BotW gives you freedom in what's probably the best open/over-world in gaming. It's a true adventure. It's more about atmosphere than plot.
    • john_marston wrote:

      piles of dialogue and story exposition
      You say that like it's a bad thing...
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().