Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Rain Stops Play: Weather Dynamics In Breath Of The Wild
    • I've noticed that this has been brought up in numerous threads many many many times, but I thought I'd make my own thread and offer my own stance.

The rain in Breath Of The Wild adds to the overworld's realism but comes with the restrictive element of being unable to climb (this becomes especially apparent on the ascent of Zora's Domain).

A lot of you seem frustrated by this, and I was too when I wanted to reach Zora's Domain without wasting time battling enemies. (Moreover, being unable to start campfires to pass time when you're waiting for a side-quest and there's no bed nearby).

However, I've had a change of heart. Isn't this what we've been crying out for for so long? Actual realistic weather that impacts gameplay? I've been on these forums long enough to remember when people were contemplating the possibility of Nintendo implementing this on Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and now we finally have it, we should really be grateful, no?

Fortunately, I understand the other common complaint: why can't the climbing gear prevent this from happening? It's true: we have the rubber gear to prevent lightning strikes, the Rito gear to prevent the cold, the Flame Guard gear to prevent fire, so why not rain?

Feel free to use this thread to vent your feelings about this and any other suggestions you might have to fix this.
    • I agree that the rain in BotW can be supremely frustrating, but the Game Theorists did an interesting video on this exact topic and determined that given BotW Hyrule's size and climate, the frequency of rain isn't unrealistic at all.

However, I don't think it's a very good gameplay decision to have it rain so frequently, especially when rain basically keeps you from doing anything.
    • First off, props to the clever wordplay in the thread title.

Secondly, I agree for the most part. I do enjoy the weather mechanics; it makes sense. It's frustrating to try and move upwards in the rain, especially if you don't have/use Revali's Gale to help you out a bit, but that's the beauty of it. The rain does its job and does it well. I didn't even mind waiting around for the rain to end to try and climb something or make a campfire. Although I'm not sure about climbing gear negating the rain effects on climbing. I quite like the challenge of climbing in the rain.
    • I feel like it’s supposed to make you try and think outside of the box in terms of traveling.
      A huge part of this game is figuring out how to get from point a to point b, and the exploration itself is a kind of puzzle. I think the rain is another aspect of that puzzle, that requires you to find another way around. It was a bit annoying at certain points in which I was scaling a massive cliff and it just pours, and those instances don’t really have another solution that’s faster than waiting out the rain.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing, and there are systems in place that allow you to get past them as you get further in the game, such as as revalis gale. It’s an interesting mechanic and makes the game more dynamic, so I’m suppose I’m glad it was added to the game
    • I remember the outer walls of the Zora Village being too steep to climb, but I usually used the pathways to leave. Most of the mountains out there are climb-able with small ledges within reach and slopes you can let go for a split second to use your feet and grab on again, using the climbing gear is helpful here since you can climb faster and have more "steps" before slipping. In the jungle, they provide trees you can climb in the rain thanks to their umbrella like foliage at the top, not to mention there are the waterfalls if you've obtained the necessary gear to swim on them. In that grotto area where there's a shrine, they have air geysers you can ride on in the event of rain.

They give the player several ways around the rain. Just gotta find em. This game is meant to challenge the player, that's how so many people have found ways to play that even the developers weren't aware of. Like they said before release, the world itself is like a big puzzle. I don't see rainy areas any different.
    • I can't quite recall how I reacted to the rain. I probably waited it out with a campfire unless the rain prevented that from happening too, or I took a different path and quickly forgot about it. My way of exploring was to spontaneously pick different paths at a whim, but if you've set your mind on a specific place that you'll have to climb to get to then I can kind of see how that'd be bothersome.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• I've never understood the problem with rain. I'd like to make a few things clear.

First, you can beat the entire game without climbing:

youtube.com/watch?v=MK6ub-Z7snI

This person didn't even climb in areas unaffected by rain, like towers or the inside of the Shrine of Resurrection.

Second, that doesn't matter anyway, because you can still climb in the rain. I think a lot of people just got it in their heads that "can't climb in rain" was a rule instead of looking at what actually happened when they tried. But once you know how, it's pretty simple, it just requires a little more time, stamina, and concentration. And it only gets easier as the game goes on and you get climbing gear and more stamina.

And thirdly, you can also make campfires in the rain. The game is very generous about providing trees, caves, overhangs, and such to give you shelter from the rain.

Basically, I really hope that "Rain Stops Play" was intended as hyperbole.

... But I wouldn't be opposed to the upgraded climbing gear set bonus eliminating slipping.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer: style ().

• I did (and do) get frustrated by the rain at times, and I do somewhat agree with the title. Only instead of 'stopping' gameplay I would only say that it interrupts it.

It gets to me most when I'm in areas where it rains a lot, mainly Foron and Akalla. In both of these areas there are several spots that are only accessible via climbing (not including exploitable bugs for lack of a better term), and in a lot of these places it isn't possible to make a fire without travelling a great deal out of your way to do so.

This is a game which is centered around exploration, and this mechanic is specifically designed to limit your ability to explore. It's just counterproductive to me. Imagine if at random times in say Gears of War you couldn't use cover in a cover-based shooter.

And to clarify a few things mentioned on here, yes I know you can beat the game without climbing. Yes I know you can still climb, but the ability is drastically reduced. Yes I know there are workarounds in some places.

Problem is it doesn't always work with the way I play the game, and that's the only perspective I'm worried about. It takes away time that I could be using to enjoy myself in the game, either by trying to find a way to wait it out or by taking even longer to climb a wall, and in a lot of places there is no other way to get to point B other than by climbing. If I'm spending my time in a game trying to skip a feature, why is that feature still in the game to begin with?

Now its not a make or break thing for me, most areas either have little rain or not at all, its just in certain regions where it bothers me. If there were a way for me to mod it out of the switch version, I would.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • pj777 wrote:

It gets to me most when I'm in areas where it rains a lot, mainly Foron and Akalla. In both of these areas there are several spots that are only accessible via climbing (not including exploitable bugs for lack of a better term), and in a lot of these places it isn't possible to make a fire without travelling a great deal out of your way to do so.
      Can you name a few places? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the shrine at Skull Lake.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • That's one yes. I remember hitting a bad run of rain trying to climb the dueling peaks, and all around Lake Floria climbing the plateaus next to the falls. The mountains beside Zora Domain (after the quest is complete, not talking about the story related constant rain). Around the Spring of Courage since I usually try to get a better angle on the archers.

Now to a lesser extent since rain is less common is the general area around Hyrule Ridge and Tabantha Frontier minus the Thundra Plateau for the obvious quest reason. Lots of mountains, lots of climbing. Usually not a problem, but when you do get the occasional rain shower it becomes annoying.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • Any of the hills at Faron are real tricky if you don't take a big detour.
      Thing is, what folks (including me) keep forgetting is you can swim up waterfalls.

Really felt like a dunce when someone pointed that out.

I really like finding sheltered places with a campfire that tell you "rest here". Eventide has a great one. Waiting out the rain there by a fire feels much nicer than cheap anti-slip gear would.
      Issue is most shelters aren't in a rainy area. The Great Plateau has several but I can't even recall it ever raining there.
    • I'm particularly fond of Floria, simply because you can climb your way through it early on, but it becomes one big playground once you get the Zora armor from a completely unrelated location. Such satisfying progression. But yeah, it's definitely one of the harder places to climb, especially since there's one place with a quest-related storm that's fairly hard to reach (especially without the Zora armor).

I'm surprised the area around Zora's Domain gave you (pj777) any trouble. I had a very hard time climbing Ploymus Mountain without using the waterfalls, but that's because I was artificially restricting myself for a no-glider playthrough. If you have the Zora armor, I think it's one of the easier areas to navigate.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

• I think that's part of the reason rain didn't bother me much. My early exploration was very much horse-based, because that was faster and easier, and saved the climbing for when I had enough stamina and gear to speed up the process. That's not to say that I didn't climb at all -- I remember a struggle trying to work my up to Misko's flameblade -- but it was definitely not as big a part of the experience for me as it was for some others.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

• Evran_Speer wrote:

I think that's part of the reason rain didn't bother me much. My early exploration was very much horse-based, because that was faster and easier, and saved the climbing for when I had enough stamina and gear to speed up the process. That's not to say that I didn't climb at all -- I remember a struggle trying to work my up to Misko's flameblade -- but it was definitely not as big a part of the experience for me as it was for some others.
      It's funny you say that because almost all of my exploration was based on climbing. :lol:

From the very beginning, I made it my mission to investigate as much of the overworld as possible to save back-tracking, which included every peak and summit. As such, my first three shrines once leaving the Great Plateau were all situated on the Duelling Peaks. I didn't wrangle myself a horse until after I'd completed the first two Divine Beasts.

That's what I love about Breath Of The Wild: it allows for such vastly different but viable methods of exploration; rather than 'You need a horse to get here' or 'You need a hookshot to get there'. The overworld was a free-for-all! :mastahsword: