Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer
    • I just watched it, and ouch. I've never been a huge Sonic fan, but they messed up bad with Sonic. My main problem with him is his eyes, they're SEPERATE!

Also, Eggman doesn't have the beautiful mustache until the end of the trailer... WHYYYYYY?

Oh well, at least it looks funny.

What is everyone's thoughts?
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."

• I knew it was going to be bad. Like seeing a baseball bat with nails being swung at my head. Just because I saw it coming doesn’t stop it from hurting like hell when it finally makes contact.

Looks horrible, sounds horrible, unfunny jokes (yay, child kidnappings???), flashbacks of Alvin and the Chipmunks because they reused the meet n scream sequence, unfunny lines, and Jim Carrey kept wandering onto the set which might make it better or worse depending on your feelings about Jim Carrey.

At least the mustache grows.
    • I also expected horrible, just like almost any movie based on a video game. If it wasn't based on Sonic, it might be alright, but...

I actually thought the jokes were funny, but I haven't watched enough movies to see them get overused over and over again.

I actually don't think I've seen a movie with Jim Carrey in it, so I don't have an opinion on him. He looks funny though.

I probably won't watch it unless it comes to Netflix, or I get a chance to see it for free.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

• The Moon of Termina wrote:

I actually don't think I've seen a movie with Jim Carrey in it, so I don't have an opinion on him. He looks funny though
      please don't make this your first experience with jim carrey lol i mean, he'll probably be one of the few good things about that movie, but it doesn't change the fact that on the whole, jim carrey is sorta like nicholas cage - a great actor who often gets cast in some real stanky films.

if you wanna experience jim carrey the proper way, go watch Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, The Mask, etc. He's also been in more dramatic films like The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (both of which are absolute classics that have a little less of Carrey's method acting schtick).
    • Oh, if you’re not familiar with Jim Carrey I’d recommend seeing some of his older films just to get a feel for his style of acting and comedy.

This in particular seems to be his Ace Ventura and The Mask style which can be good (though I’d rather just go buy and watch those than see the Sonic film just to see Jim Carrey) though some other good films are Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty.

Though, for every good movie he’s been in, he’s also been in some terrible ones. Like far too many Dr. Seuss films.

Edit: Lol.

Reasons people might not like Jim Carrey could be due to his style of acting, but also he had a lot of personal issues pop into the public sphere a couple times.

"FUCK YOU NINTENDO" by Topaz Mutiny

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Topaz Mutiny ().

• oh yeah, he definitely has a very specific acting style that some love but others can't stand. sometimes it also depends on the film. like i love eternal sunshine and liar liar (i even liked yes man despite it being one of his not-so-good films), but man i've never honestly been a huge fan of the ace ventura films, it's just not my style lol

to get it back onto the topic of the sonic movie, it'll be interesting to see how carrey handles being dr. robotnik/eggman. considering the subject matter, it'll undoubtedly end up being a more mr-poppers-penguins type jim carrey (aka kid friendly but still over-the-top acting jim carrey).
    • When I heard Carrey was cast as Robotnik it sounded like a potentially very good casting choice.

In the trailer...well, he works in some of the scenes, but the extended "joke" they show is...not really the take on Robotnik I was expecting.

I just, man, I dunno. There's a few fun ideas in that trailer, and some nods to the series that even I, not really a fan, can pick up and appreciate. But there's also...the rest of it.

Sonic's design is less horrific than the still shots implied, especially scaled down like that, but his face is still deeply disconcerting and the arms/legs/fingers hit the uncanny valley a bit, too.

The jokes feel very "we're trying to be Detective Pikachu" which, I mean, OK? But why not be your own film, instead?

The idea of Robotnik being a "normal" mad scientist brought in by the powers-that-be to stop Sonic over a misunderstanding...actually feels like it'd work pretty well. Kudos on that.

Overall...not sold on this trailer, but we'll see, something of worth might come out of this.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• the sound when spining and when getting rings and robotic look at the end they got right. Everthing else looks like compete crap. About jim cary i like the movie lier lier and i liked him in bruce allmighty and has the Grinch but outside of that i dont like him. I always found him to be incredibly overrated and like adam sandler way more.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zeldaisthebest! ().

• I'm clearly going to be in the minority here but I don't actually find it that bad.

Ya, some of the choices they made for Sonic's design are questionable but overall I don't really see what will be that bad about this.

My thing is that when this was first teased and released everyone already had it in their mind this was going to be subpar. I never understood that.

Judging something based on minimal info is just odd to me. You can certainly have first impressions but saying something will be shit based on some images and a 3 minute trailer doesn't make sense to me.

Chances are it won't be breaking box office records but that doesn't mean it can't be decent still.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • I think it's mostly down to Sonic's design and not-great blending of CG and Real.

The latter will probably be fixed by release day, but the former seems likely pretty set by now.

For context, I found the Detective Pikachu pokemon designs offputting at first, but they grew on me within a day, and now I largely like them (not all of them, I think they went too much into "grotesque" territory on number of them, but at least it's a consistent aesthetic) while Sonic's design has just felt worse and worse the more I see of it. Scaled down it's better than when I thought he'd be 5' 8" or similar, but his face is deep in the uncanny valley, like, that's just a human mouth pasted over a hedgehog snout, and the two shapes don't actually work together at all, and the eyes feel deeply wrong. His spindly limbs feel wrong for his relatively robust torso and also feel weird for a being that's supposed to be really athletic. It's like they took a 5' 8" design and scaled the limbs down proportionally to his new height, and that's...not how that works in nature.

It may seem petty to try and map a fictional super-fast hedgehog onto realistic anatomy, but they've deliberately given him a "realistic" look in terms of shading and expression, and then tried to walk it back by going more cartoony in the limbs and face (but not too cartoony) and the end result is just deeply unsettling to me. It's like those images that go around every couple years of "What if Homer Simpson was a real person" or those disconcerting anime character helmet/mask things that you see people wearing sometimes.

• I can see that.

I think though that a lot of people who have an issue with Sonic's design need to remember that over the years, he has had many different proportions.

The face - ya, that just is all wrong, I'm not going to fight that.

As for the proportions for his limbs and arms to his body - It looks like they are choosing to model him off the more "modern" version of Sonic (not referencing Sonic Boom). He always had a thicker looking body with thinner limbs. If anything, I would say this model is closer to athletic runner then original Sonic who had a literal round body with skinny limbs.

Other than his face, I don't really have a problem with Sonic's overall appearance.

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is why Sonic's hair (fur? spines?) seems to always be teeming with blue electricity. I'm not super huge into Sonic lore but I don't recall there ever being an instant where this really was a thing.

• Yeah, they tried to go for the more cartoonish proportions for his limbs, but the problem is that when you anchor the rest of the design in a more "realistic" style (visible fur, distinct eyes, etc.) those proportions stop working.

My complaint isn't that he doesn't look like Sonic (though he...doesn't), it's that they dove towards a "realistic" style and stopped half-way, with an end result that doesn't work, since it's stuck in the middle.

• Big Daddy Biggles wrote:

I'm clearly going to be in the minority here but I don't actually find it that bad.

Ya, some of the choices they made for Sonic's design are questionable but overall I don't really see what will be that bad about this.

My thing is that when this was first teased and released everyone already had it in their mind this was going to be subpar. I never understood that.

Judging something based on minimal info is just odd to me. You can certainly have first impressions but saying something will be shit based on some images and a 3 minute trailer doesn't make sense to me.

Chances are it won't be breaking box office records but that doesn't mean it can't be decent still.
      The thing is I can tell if I am going to like a movie or not from a trailer like 98% of the time. I wasn't trying to prejudge the movie before we saw any thing but the teaser photo looked really bad to so we have gotten some stuff now and it looks bad. There was a fake poster for the movie with Chris Pratt and it looked a lot better then the real stuff. Like a week ago or something someone used photo shop to make a few changes to the look of sonic and it looked much better has the puporation of sonics arms, feet are both way off and his eyes dont look good to.
    • I think they just kind of went with a compromise for certain design choices.

Obviously their vision was to have a realistic looking Sonic.

To do that, I don't think they could have gone with Sonic's traditional eyes as that honestly would have looked even worse then this.

I'm not sure how they could have made the mouth any different to keep in line with their artistic vision. It might have been able to be made better but I don't have the knowledge to know how that could have been done.

I see what you mean with the "cartoony" limbs with more realistic aesthetics but would a Sonic with more defined arms/legs (or even just proportionately accurate limbs) have looked better? Or would he just end up looking like a marathon runner trying to realistically cosplay Sonic?

• Well, that's why a "realistic" look was a poor fit overall, Sonic doesn't work that way. If you're gonna do it you have to do a redesign from the ground up and the end result is probably gonna look like you took a professional sprinter and put them in a fur suit.

In this he even seems to be from another world, which gives an excuse to keep the cartoonish look!

But, OK, they had to have a realistic Sonic, why not, then, give him slightly more definition on his limbs but also keep the oversize gloves and shoes? Those would give a kind of definitive "end point" to his limbs and stand out against them. I'm not a visual artist in any way, but intuitively it feels like that would've helped counteract this kinda noodle-limbs-trailing-off-into-space look.

As for his mouth, go full Rocket Racoon. An actual jaw that matches his actual snout and which can still be emoted with. You'd still have a problem with the eyes, but it'd be a much lesser one if the mouth wasn't just...fundamentally incorrect.

Edit: Perhaps they couldn't go the Rocket Raccoon look because most of his emoting is with his eyes, due to having a snout, and the eyes they've given Sonic are...not gonna be able to handle that. Of course, if they changed both the mouth and the eyes I'd have no further objections to the face, so...

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• The movie could be pretty decent. But if it wasn't based on Sonic, it would probably be better.

After watching the trailer a few times, I've kind of adjusted to Sonic's body proportions, and even mouth. It is his eyes that are killing me. They're supposed to be one eye with 2 pupils! Agh!

I'm biased to expect the worst by shows and movies based off video games before *cough*supermariomovie1993*cough* so I might not be giving the movie a fair chance.

• The Moon of Termina wrote:

After watching the trailer a few times, I've kind of adjusted to Sonic's body proportions, and even mouth. It is his eyes that are killing me. They're supposed to be one eye with 2 pupils! Agh!
      ok i know this is a joke but are you seriously gonna tell me that would have worked in a "live action" animated sonic movie

i'm sorry but from an animation standpoint, they're working with what they've got and trying to make it work to the best of their ability without destroying sonic entirely

(of course this just further strengthens my opinion that 2D animation/design is meant to be 2D for a reason and shouldn't be touched with "live action" adaptions with a ten foot pole in the first place)
      i'll just be on my way.

The post was edited 1 time, last by death. ().