Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    The Next Paper Mario - A Wishlist
    • I tried getting some feedback on another thread about this kind of thing and it didn't really accomplish anything so instead what I'll focus on in this thread is just what myself and others want in the next game. Whether you want a sequel to the originals where you level up with Star Points, or a sequel to Super Paper Mario where there are no turn-based battles at all and everything is 2D unless you use Flipping, or a sequel to Sticker Star/Color Splash where you battle by collecting stickers or cards and have to use specific special items to beat the bosses.

Me personally, I find the most recent two games to be something of an abomination to the idea of RPGs but not wholly without some creative merit. Super Paper Mario also had some worthwhile ideas worth exploring as well. But call me a traditionalist, I want something more akin to the original and The Thousand-Year Door. So here's my wishlist for the next theoretical game that returns to the roots of the series:

-More paper folding moves than the four that were learned in TTYD. At least 3 used in the field and at least 2 that are more like Paper Airplane and Paper Boat where they're used only in specific places.

-More control over the slots in battle and more combinations on the machine to power up Mario and Partners (or give the advantage to the enemies). Also more interaction with the audience which affects the slots more.

-At least half of the new partners in the game should be original creations like Vivian, where they're not based on any existing Mario franchise creature. Also give them things they can equip like wings for flying to avoid ground attacks or spike helmets to protect against enemies who use jumping attacks.

-Give Mario the ability to equip costumes in addition to his Shoes and Hammer. They can be used to give him his own field abilities like those normally only used by Partners, and they can change up his attack repertoire.

-Let more of the series' villains start appearing in paper form like Wario and Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and even some old forgotten ones like Tatanga and Wart.

-Enable Mario to move faster or give him the spin-dash move from the first game back. Relying on partners for that is annoying.

-Let Luigi tag along this time. This would help balance out the number of costumes that could be added and equipped and keep there from being a silent protagonist only with Mario who never talks.

So, feel free to say what you like or don't like about my suggestions and add your own wishlist picks as well.
    • I played each of the first three Paper Mario games when they were new, and it's one of my favorite series of all time. So of course I have a fair bit to say about it.

I guess you were talking about things you'd like besides returning to what made the first three great, but I'd like to set out what, exactly, returning to that would mean. Some of this will be review for Paper Mario fans, but it's important to set a baseline for what the next games needs.
      • Story. The last two games notwithstanding, story is an essential part of Paper Mario (you hear me, Miyamoto?). The first game was even called Mario Story in Japan. So priority 1 should be bringing back not only an overarching story for the whole game, but also stories for each chapter, with settings that go beyond "desert world" and "ice world" and so on.
      • Characters. To go along with story, we need original characters back, not just Toads. That means interesting and unique designs. And among those characters, we need partners with both personalities and powers, and villains with actuals lines.
      • Battle system. Now, I like Super Paper Mario as much if not more than The Thousand-Year Door, but I'll admit that the battle system in the latter is better. To get back to its greatness, get rid of all attacks being based on expendable items. Also, make the numbers smaller. Let players choose who to attack. And it goes without saying that partners need to participate in battle.
      Now, that's for starters. How do we go beyond that? Well, one thing needs to be removed from the The Thousand-Year Door battle system, namely the interference from random stage elements. As for additions, having more than one partner active, both in battle and in the field, might not go amiss. It would allow for combining their abilities to solve more complicated puzzles.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• Vulpes wrote:

I played each of the first three Paper Mario games when they were new, and it's one of my favorite series of all time. So of course I have a fair bit to say about it.

I guess you were talking about things you'd like besides returning to what made the first three great, but I'd like to set out what, exactly, returning to thhat would mean. Some of this will be review for Paper Mario fans, but it's important to set a baseline for what the next games needs.
      • Story. The last two games notwithstanding, story is an essential part of Paper Mario (you hear me, Miyamoto?). The first game was even called Mario Story in Japan. So priority 1 should be bringing back not only an overarching story for the whole game, but also stories for each chapter, with settings that go beyond "desert world" and "ice world" and so on.
      • Characters. To go along with story, we need original characters back, not just Toads. That means interesting and unique designs. And among those characters, we need partners with both personalities and powers, and villains with actuals lines.
      • Battle system. Now, I like Super Paper Mario as much if not more than The Thousand-Year Door, but I'll admit that the battle system in the latter is better. To get back to its greatness, get rid of all attacks being based on expendable items. Also, make the numbers smaller. Let players choose who to attack. And it goes without saying that partners need to participate in battle.
      Now, that's for starters. How do we go beyond that? Well, one thing needs to be removed from the The Thousand-Year Door battle system, namely the interference from random stage elements. As for additions, having more than one partner active, both in battle and in the field, might not go amiss. It would allow for combining their abilities to solve more complicated puzzles.
      I left it open for anyone who likes the Sticker Star/Color Splash versions in the series better if they want to continue on with that formula (battles entirely dependent upon expendable items and not being able to select a target manually or have partners accompany or gain levels via experience points which makes battling more of a waste of time and resources) and add things to their wishlist if that's the case, but I assumed most people would like the other types of the games in the series better, so it's fine whichever of the five games you choose for your ideal material for a sequel in creating your wishlist.

I agree the story should take priority, but I think they've been doing a pretty good job with the original and the Thousand-Year Door as far as locales for each chapter to take place in, like Boggly Woods and the Moon Base. I had an idea where the first chapter of a new game would once again take place in a castle stronghold/fort like the first two games, only to get inside you have to blow a hole in the fence around it, which causes the foundation to crumble underneath it and the entire thing sinks into the ground, forcing you to enter from the top and make your way down to the basement rather than the pinnacle, and having to use tunnels formed in the surrounding dirt to reach new areas where stairs are inaccessible. Just one of many ideas to turn the traditional formula on its head.

And yes, if we plowed ahead with the Sticker Star/Color Splash formula, once again we'd be devoid of partners and other characters to interact with, so I don't really see how anyone could be okay with that at this point. Not just for the sake of battle but because they bring the story to life. Flavio was one of my favorite characters so I want lots more characters like that from now on.

As for battle, I kind of liked the interactions with the stage and audience and would like to see more of it rather than less, so I'm curious what the objection behind that is. The game's difficult is really not that great so those little random things can help make things more challenging, although it does tend to favor Mario often so it doesn't always have that effect. But one thing I'd like to see is enemies having the ability to combine in battle in certain ways, like stacking up in a straight line like the Shy Stacks in the first game, or in a pyramid shape. They could combine their HP, attack and defense to make for a much more challenging fight to keep things interesting.
    • Nintendo is really tight lipped when it comes to their games.

I'm not an idiot, I just know they wouldn't let a franchise like Paper Mario dwindle to nothing after Color Splash. I'm sure they have a new game in the works, and if not, they definitely have some ideas floating around.

I hope E3 will be surprising. I can see them showing off Persona 5, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they randomly dropped a new F-Zero title, a new DK, or just something about a new Paper Mario.

Here's to hoping.
    • I would love a really interesting story, but it's nor miyamoto's fault that there is a lack of story in the last two paper mario games.
      In this Iwata Asks: iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

Tanabe says, "Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario24 game in Club Nintendo25, and not even 1% said the story was interesting."

And it seems that is the main reason the story took a secondary role to the game itself, which really stinks.

I don't mind trying new battle systems, as long as it is interesting and not trash, and I got a feeling they might not want to revert back to the same battle system of generations ago.

Obviously, characters are also important in the paper mario series, so it would be nice to have some interesting ones added in. Color Splash had some good writing, but of course all of the characters were really just cardboard (paper?) cutouts of each other, just basic enemies and toads everywhere.

Truthfully, as long as the game is good, and don't really mind what comes up next. I am putting down what I think I want, but Nintendo could do something way out in left field that might blow our expectations away. I suppose we will have to wait and see
    • Guinea wrote:

Nintendo is really tight lipped when it comes to their games.

I'm not an idiot, I just know they wouldn't let a franchise like Paper Mario dwindle to nothing after Color Splash. I'm sure they have a new game in the works, and if not, they definitely have some ideas floating around.

I hope E3 will be surprising. I can see them showing off Persona 5, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they randomly dropped a new F-Zero title, a new DK, or just something about a new Paper Mario.

Here's to hoping.
      There's talk of just replacing it altogether with Mario and Luigi which I'm not a fan of, those games are way more about battle than anything. I rarely have to grind as much in RPGs as I have to for those so I'm done with that branch of the Mario RPGs. But I do want Luigi to accompany Mario this time in a new Paper Mario.

linkoftime200 wrote:

I would love a really interesting story, but it's nor miyamoto's fault that there is a lack of story in the last two paper mario games.
      In this Iwata Asks: iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

Tanabe says, "Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario24 game in Club Nintendo25, and not even 1% said the story was interesting."

And it seems that is the main reason the story took a secondary role to the game itself, which really stinks.

I don't mind trying new battle systems, as long as it is interesting and not trash, and I got a feeling they might not want to revert back to the same battle system of generations ago.

Obviously, characters are also important in the paper mario series, so it would be nice to have some interesting ones added in. Color Splash had some good writing, but of course all of the characters were really just cardboard (paper?) cutouts of each other, just basic enemies and toads everywhere.

Truthfully, as long as the game is good, and don't really mind what comes up next. I am putting down what I think I want, but Nintendo could do something way out in left field that might blow our expectations away. I suppose we will have to wait and see
      Color Splash had good writing? I thought there was pretty universal agreement that those two latest ones had the weakest writing/story and very few side characters of note.

I actually admire the attempt to make Sticker Star and Color Splash's battle systems more innovative but it came at such a cost it was almost game-breaking in how ludicrous it had to be in order to maintain itself. Creates loads of unnecessary tedium and everything also loses all challenge or becomes life-and-death difficult due to simple lack of resources if you run low on cards/stickers without a chance to replenish. Some of those moves from those games aren't a bad idea to implement in a game more like the originals if they were in the form of a technique Badge and came with an additional FP cost to the normal jump or hammer attack. Having the ability to strategically decide at any given time what techniques you can use at the simple push of a button (removing or equipping a badge) and then judiciously using FP in battle and trying to keep it restored but always having one's default attacks and the use of items for emergencies seems like a far superior way to go when you boil it all down. And that's without considering the perks of having Partners in battle. I'd give anything to have them back. Honestly, and I'm the kind of person who NEVER buys new games at full price, but if they made a new game with all the charm and structure of the first two with a decent amount of new things to not just be a glorified mod of TTYD, I'd drop 60 bones on a catridge of it for the Switch right when it comes out.
    • My first Paper Mario games were Sticker Star and Color Splash, so I never got why people hated the so much. Then I played TTYD.

That game was amazing.

Anyways, my wishlist?

1. Story of SPM
      That games story was great. My second favorite Mario story to date. (First being Partners in Time.)

2. Characters and battle system of TTYD.
      Do I really need to say more?

3. Writing and overworld design of Color Splash
      I thought Color Splash was the funniest of them all, and I prefer the overworld being split into a world map. It makes it faster to get places. It felt like forever to get as anywhere in TTYD. Other than the world map, I just generally liked the level design a lot.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • Guinea wrote:

I really hope they don't drop Paper Mario.

Mario & Luigi is a fun game, but Paper Mario is really something special.
      100% agree, it's the best formula for a Mario RPG right now. The M&L games just don't have the same charm and spirit and the battles just require so much constant focus and remembering this button only does this one thing so if you screw up one time, it can cost you the entire battle.

The Moon of Termina wrote:

My first Paper Mario games were Sticker Star and Color Splash, so I never got why people hated the so much. Then I played TTYD.

That game was amazing.
      I can kind of break it down for you (this applies to both Sticker Star and Color Splash):
      1. Non-existent story and lack of any real side characters with unique enough personalities to matter or leave a lasting impression. Instead of each chapter feeling like an arc or a mystery to solve it's more like just a trek to find a boss to beat up (and you know in advance who/what the bosses are in CS since they're all Koopalings).
      2. 100% of every move you could use in battle is expendable and doesn't net you a commensurate reward for completing a battle, hence making battle a complete waste of time and resources and an exercise in tedium having to replenish one's stock frequently. This is especially aggravating if you need anything other than basic stickers/cards since the places they can be found are usually only in one place and they aren't available in a place that you can get to instantly or get a decent amount of them in one go.
      3. Thing stickers/cards that do the opposite of things being more challenging due to having limited resources and make battle pointlessly easy or being the only things that can beat a certain boss, making the battles that might have presented an opportunity for actual strategic merit boil down to 'oh, found the puzzle piece I needed when the puzzle was almost already completed'.
      4. There's also the lack of any upgrades that permanently affect the effectiveness of jump or hammer attacks, inside and outside of battle. Those always gave the games a Metroidvania sort of vibe and made it exciting to revisit places to find things like Star Pieces and other things you couldn't access before. Now the games are structured so badly it's more of a chore to revisit places and they made it a requirement in Color Splash quite a bit to actually fill out that whole world map.
      5. The world map where you walk across from dot to do like in the old days of the SMB/World games. Just kind of destroys the idea of a much broader world where you cross oceans and go up into the sky...and makes the hub world feel more isolated because it's no longer the key to getting anyplace else like the Toad Town sewers or Under Rogueport.
      6. No partners. Not only are they their own characters with personalities and whatnot, their assistance in battles was always imperative. The difficulty level in battles fluctuates so much in SS/CS that partners ought to have been essential for regulating it but...nope. That would have required too much effort in writing, presumably. Feeling like it dumbed things down for the sake of a younger audience is really a slap in the face to not just older gamers, but ALL gamers.

I think that about covers it...I don't expect you to agree on any of them but when you've had a taste of a genuine RPG and then you're given this half-baked experiment which, after a resounding reaction that screams 'failure' at the creators, you get a second one barely distinguishable from it, it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth that'll never come out unless they give you something that tastes a hell of a lot more like the original.

Anyways, my wishlist?

1. Story of SPM
      That games story was great. My second favorite Mario story to date. (First being Partners in Time.)

2. Characters and battle system of TTYD.
      Do I really need to say more?

3. Writing and overworld design of Color Splash
      I thought Color Splash was the funniest of them all, and I prefer the overworld being split into a world map. It makes it faster to get places. It felt like forever to get as anywhere in TTYD. Other than the world map, I just generally liked the level design a lot.
      One thing you have to hand SPM, its story was definitely the most complex and emotional out of all of them.

I don't really see how you could appreciate SS and CS if you liked the characters and battle system of TTYD but yes, those desperately need a return to form. Nothing wrong with adapting a few things here and there from those two but returning to Badges and FP and Partners is the only way to really get things back on track. I can't imagine Nintendo not making a king's ransom off of promising to return the series to its roots with the next game.

I agree that things should be streamlined in terms of travel in a new game so my idea would be something more like Welderburg from SPM and a combination of the Return Pipe. You pay a fee to have a pipe built in some location (rather than the fixed ones like in the first two games) and you always have an item with you that can warp you to any of them in an instant. That way you will have access to many of them in more convenient locations but you'll need to spend time and coins getting them established, building up to that level of mastery over your world.

Not really sure what level design aspects were that great, a lot of it was already seen in the other games but I would want other environments used than what we've seen before. Maybe a dungeon that has to be flipped upside-down and right-side-up repeatedly to solve it. Or like a box with four squares and you have to rotate it 90 degrees to access each other square, like a labyrinth with something at the center. Or something themed around clocks and time like that idea I had for a LoZ dungeon.
    • Actually, I was saying that I didn't understand why people hated SS and CS until I played TTYD. Then I understood. I agree with most of what you said.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I don't really see how you could appreciate SS and CS if you liked the characters and battle system of TTYD but yes, those desperately need a return to form. Nothing wrong with adapting a few things here and there from those two but returning to Badges and FP and Partners is the only way to really get things back on track. I can't imagine Nintendo not making a king's ransom off of promising to return the series to its roots with the next game.
      I appreciated different things about them. And remember, SS and CS were my first Paper Mario games, so I didn't have TTYD to compare them to. On their own, SS is a decent game, and CS is a good game. I would really love another game like TTYD though, and would prefer if they left most of the SS/CS formula behind.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I agree that things should be streamlined in terms of travel in a new game so my idea would be something more like Welderburg from SPM and a combination of the Return Pipe. You pay a fee to have a pipe built in some location (rather than the fixed ones like in the first two games) and you always have an item with you that can warp you to any of them in an instant. That way you will have access to many of them in more convenient locations but you'll need to spend time and coins getting them established, building up to that level of mastery over your world.
      It has been years since I played SPM, and I don't remember anywhere called Welderburg, but I do remember the Return Pipe. I know that TTYD had pipes leading to all the major areas, but each was separate. If we are going to get a large connected world, every pipe should connect to every pipe, like the warp pipes in M&L Superstar Saga and Dream Team. Those made travel much more convenient, because you could to any pipe from any pipe, and there were a lot more options.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Not really sure what level design aspects were that great, a lot of it was already seen in the other games but I would want other environments used than what we've seen before. Maybe a dungeon that has to be flipped upside-down and right-side-up repeatedly to solve it. Or like a box with four squares and you have to rotate it 90 degrees to access each other square, like a labyrinth with something at the center. Or something themed around clocks and time like that idea I had for a LoZ dungeon.
      I don't know exactly why I like CS's level design a little more than TTYD's, when almost everything else in inferior. Maybe it was just the graphics, making everything feel more like paper? I don't know. Something else SS/CS did great was the music. TTYD and SPM's music was phenomenal, and SS and CS had music that matched it (at least in my opinion.)

I like that dungeon idea. I'd love to see it in action. It sounds a bit like a Divine Beast, but if pulled off right, it could be really cool.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

• The Moon of Termina wrote:

Actually, I was saying that I didn't understand why people hated SS and CS until I played TTYD. Then I understood. I agree with most of what you said.
      Ah, then that makes perfect sense.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I appreciated different things about them. And remember, SS and CS were my first Paper Mario games, so I didn't have TTYD to compare them to. On their own, SS is a decent game, and CS is a good game. I would really love another game like TTYD though, and would prefer if they left most of the SS/CS formula behind.
      Sure, sure, there's a few things that are decent about them. Finally seeing Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings in Paper form was nice. Also Wiggler (though I'd have wanted a different portrayal, more of just a generic Super Mario World sized enemy) and the Draggadon, though I'd settle for a return of the similar lava dragon Blarg (also SMW). But those would all have worked better in a more cohesive game. All the good feels wasted by being lumped in with so much bad.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

It has been years since I played SPM, and I don't remember anywhere called Welderburg, but I do remember the Return Pipe. I know that TTYD had pipes leading to all the major areas, but each was separate. If we are going to get a large connected world, every pipe should connect to every pipe, like the warp pipes in M&L Superstar Saga and Dream Team. Those made travel much more convenient, because you could to any pipe from any pipe, and there were a lot more options.
      Welderburg was a character who hung out in certain places around the hub worlds (Flipside and Flopside and the underground areas of each) who, if you paid him, would create a warp pipe that would connect to some other place and let you use it for shortcuts. If he made a return, possibly in the form of a shop where you could just reliably find him in that one place without having to go looking, then you could pay to put in warp pipes in numerous places and they would all be connected rather than only being one-way. Or they all lead to a pipe hub in the back of the shop where you can then just jump into any of the others rather than choosing a 'fast travel' point on a map? Just to keep things traditional. But you'd always have a Return Pipe sort of thing for instantly returning to the hub town (if you aren't in a part of the story where you're imprisoned or something where you can't get out til you successfully escape.)

Bomb Arrow wrote:

I don't know exactly why I like CS's level design a little more than TTYD's, when almost everything else in inferior. Maybe it was just the graphics, making everything feel more like paper? I don't know. Something else SS/CS did great was the music. TTYD and SPM's music was phenomenal, and SS and CS had music that matched it (at least in my opinion.)
      I like that dungeon idea. I'd love to see it in action. It sounds a bit like a Divine Beast, but if pulled off right, it could be really cool.
      Well I'd like to see more of that poison swamp type of place, but also a marshy thing where you can get stuck in mud (making it easier for an enemy to chase you down) or where you can fall into a tunnel in the swamp and get flushed away to a different area-kinda like a warp pipe).

They'd have the make the puzzles easy enough for most people to solve them, though, since they want as broad an audience as possible so even young kids should be able to get through them, according to Nintendo's philosophy. I know things have to get watered down to accommodate for this but maybe an Easy Mode and Hard Mode? Then gamers who want a real RPG experience can enjoy it to the fullest and kids can have something more easygoing but with the same story.
    • Bomb Arrow wrote:

Sure, sure, there's a few things that are decent about them. Finally seeing Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings in Paper form was nice. Also Wiggler (though I'd have wanted a different portrayal, more of just a generic Super Mario World sized enemy) and the Draggadon, though I'd settle for a return of the similar lava dragon Blarg (also SMW). But those would all have worked better in a more cohesive game. All the good feels wasted by being lumped in with so much bad.
      Agreed.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Welderburg was a character who hung out in certain places around the hub worlds (Flipside and Flopside and the underground areas of each) who, if you paid him, would create a warp pipe that would connect to some other place and let you use it for shortcuts. If he made a return, possibly in the form of a shop where you could just reliably find him in that one place without having to go looking, then you could pay to put in warp pipes in numerous places and they would all be connected rather than only being one-way. Or they all lead to a pipe hub in the back of the shop where you can then just jump into any of the others rather than choosing a 'fast travel' point on a map? Just to keep things traditional. But you'd always have a Return Pipe sort of thing for instantly returning to the hub town (if you aren't in a part of the story where you're imprisoned or something where you can't get out til you successfully escape.)
      Okay, I think I remember him a little better now. I still think they should just have M&L styled warp pipes, but that would work pretty well as well.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Well I'd like to see more of that poison swamp type of place, but also a marshy thing where you can get stuck in mud (making it easier for an enemy to chase you down) or where you can fall into a tunnel in the swamp and get flushed away to a different area-kinda like a warp pipe).
      Those were actually my least favorite areas for some reason. They were creative, but I just didn't like them myself.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

They'd have the make the puzzles easy enough for most people to solve them, though, since they want as broad an audience as possible so even young kids should be able to get through them, according to Nintendo's philosophy. I know things have to get watered down to accommodate for this but maybe an Easy Mode and Hard Mode? Then gamers who want a real RPG experience can enjoy it to the fullest and kids can have something more easygoing but with the same story.
      I disagree with Nintendo's philosophy of making everything dumbed down. I feel like people underestimate kids' ability to play difficult games. I fought my way through OOT when I was around 7. I had some help from a cousin, but once I got passed the Forest Temple I was able to do the rest on my own. It felt like the hardest game ever at the time, but I did it.

An easy and hard mode are fine, but they can't change the puzzles, which are always made pretty obvious to accommodate a younger audience. The only thing a mode can really change is battle, how much damage you and your enemy deal. While battling was a big thing is Paper Mario (at least until SS,) I enjoy puzzles more. The train chapter in TTYD had little battle, but a lot of puzzle, which I enjoyed. It took me a while to figure out to use Vivian to find Ghost T.

• I've yet to play Color Splash (darn it! i really want to!) but I played the other games, and I liked them. I liked the first two the best, SPM was unique and had great dialogue, and Sticker Star and Paper Jam, while kinda meh with the combat and items, had a lot of funny lines and some pretty cool scenes.

I'm sure the next game will try something different as well, I just hope they get it right.

Then again, I'd settle for a Color Splash port just because I haven't played it.
    • Color Splash really is a good game if you forget about the first three, especially in comparison to Sticker Star. I recommend it if you can forget all the greatness of the first three Paper Mario games, not at full price. It is definitely a huge step up from SS.

I don't consider Paper Jam a Paper Mario game. It is just a M&L game with Paper Mario in it as the main gimmick. It would've been better if we could've seen paper versions of M&L characters (like Fawful, or the shroobs), or at least normal versions of Paper Mario characters. I have faith that the M&L series will not have the same faith as Paper Mario, mostly because they are receiving remakes on their older games.

I really don't want any more ports (other than Pikmin 3 in a Pikmin trilogy) on the Switch. I got all the good games on Wii U, and so it pains me to get excited for a new game, only to find out it's just a port. I know that many people didn't get a Wii U, so they didn't get to play the games, but, no offense to any of those people, they had a chance. They could've gotten a Wii U, and played it. I've never played many games on the N64 (such as Super Mario 64) because I never got a N64. I could go get one and play the games if I really want one. Although maybe this isn't the best example, since I actually really want Mario 64 remake, and the N64 came out before I was born.

• Guinea wrote:

Nintendo is aware of all the criticism. When the next title is released, oh man, it'll be good.

Worse case scenario, it'll be ok.
      Gawd, I hope so. You've got the masses clamoring for it and you've already pissed them off twice, so if you're Nintendo, seriously, what the hell do you do if not finally give the people what they want?

An HD remake port of the first two would be amazing. I'd love to see the original in at least as good graphical style as TTYD, even if that's the only technical change they make.
    • What worries me is the possibility that Nintendo might just decide to shelve the whole series, at least for a while. Plus, unless they bring Kawade back from the Fire Emblem card game, it might be difficult to recapture the spirit of the originals.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World