Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Area and Region Types of Zelda Switch
    • Where would you like the next Zelda to be located (Hyrule or elsewhere)?

Are there any particular areas you would like to return?

What kinds of regions would be cool to see? Sick of some of the re-curring ones (forest, volcano, lake, etc); what kinds of twists would you introduce to spice them up?

What would you like the overall tone of the setting to be like?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zero_Origin ().

• I prefer a new land, just for the sake of variation. But if it is Hyrule again I really do hope that they bring back the Akkala region again since it is my favorite region in BotW. Other than that, Lake Hylia, and sure it is a really given if it is in Hyrule, I just hope that it will be a good Lake Hylia with unique properties like an own music theme, some houses, NPCs and minigames there. Lake Hylia in BotW was one of my biggest disappointments.

But a new land could be so good just for the surprise-factor alone, with completely new landmarks, regions and all other stuff. However, if Hyrule is a lot bigger than BotW, then they could incorporate a lot of new regions and landmarks there as well that can surprise us. I doubt though that the next game will be significantly bigger than BotW's world, but who knows?

Actually I would like to see a little bit more realistic world. Having just one forest, one volcano, one major lake, etc feels a little bit too gamey for me. Bring us multiple forests over Hyrule, multiple lakes, etc and I would be a happy camper. But some really "weird" places are also welcome, like a place like Ikana for example.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MVS ().

• I'd actually kind of like to see New Hyrule again. It's only been in one game, and I feel like it has a lot of potential as an open world game. Think about it: You can ride a train across the world, but if you see something interesting, you can jump out of the train anytime to check it out.

I'd also like to see the Anouki in a snow mountain again. Those things were very unique.

I don't think we've ever had a proper haunted forest in Zelda (ALBW lost woods doesn't count.) The most ghosty thing we ever get are graveyards, and a temple here and there. I'd like to see a haunted forest.

I'd like to see sky islands again. Not the main hub like SS or just a dungeon, like TP, just a little town, and some explorable things, maybe.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
      :moon:
    • I would actually like to see another go at New Hyrule. It has all the basic regions, but for the most part it's an open canvas to build upon any lore they want. On top of that, the technology level in this region is much more advanced than we've seen Hylians in previous games with the exception of advanced ancient civilizations (the ancient Sheikah in BoTW for instance). Steam technology can change a lot of the world and have an interesting affect on how the player interacts with it. It's an interesting line drawn somewhere between medieval fantasy and steampunk, not quite being completely one or the other. It could be like the differences of worlds between the Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra, where it depicts a transition between culture and technology that has an impact on the world. I think it could do well.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • I would like to see more New Hyrule too. It would be such a waste for it to be used in only one (handheld) game and then get forgotten. I also hope that they keep developing it into its own thing, rather than making it Hyrule Redux. Keep advancing its technology and have the land be threatened by new villains, or perhaps introduce a new major villain that becomes a recurrent character and remains New Hyrule's biggest threat. Ganon should be confined to the other timelines IMO.
    • It's time for a new world. Think about it: the last new world we got was the World of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass in 2007 (excluding Lorule from A Link Between Worlds).

In the last ten years, we've explored four different versions of Hyrule, and while it's a classic overworld with ever-developing lore, it's time for a fresh take.

However, as mentioned above, let's not design this world with the same old forest/volcano/lake/desert. Let's have beaches, tundras, grasslands, jungles, ridges, peaks, canyons, rainforests and savannas as our base regions instead.
    • I'd love for Nintendo to redo what they did with MM's regions. Instead of the typical forest, volcano, lake, and desert, we got swamp, mountain, bay, canyon. I think this really spiced things up and allowed for unique environments. These environments did show up in BotW but weren't as fleshed out as other regions (with perhaps the exception of mountain).

I would love to see changing seasons appear in a future Zelda game. Not like OoS where Link could manipulate them as he chose, but ones that change over time. If that were to be added I think I would be fine with basic regions as long as they incorporate this well.

Heavily forested areas would be nice too. The forest region in BotW seemed sort of small.

Not dead. Just very, very tired.

:yeppers: Join our signature cult! :yeppers:
    • I would love to see a return to a previous location to expand on the lore (e.g. Termina, Lorule, New Hyrule). I'm sick of new worlds being introduced and not being fleshed out when they have so much potential.

I'm not too fussed on the regions as long as they don't feel too disconnected and incorporate enough variety. I do agree that a deviation from the standard regions would be interesting, though obviously the game would have to be set outside of Hyrule.

Assuming that the next console Zelda reuses BotW's engine, I could see it being set in a new/existing world in the same way that MM was.
    • The Gossip Stone wrote:

It's time for a new world. Think about it: the last new world we got was the World of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass in 2007 (excluding Lorule from A Link Between Worlds).

In the last ten years, we've explored four different versions of Hyrule, and while it's a classic overworld with ever-developing lore, it's time for a fresh take.

However, as mentioned above, let's not design this world with the same old forest/volcano/lake/desert. Let's have beaches, tundras, grasslands, jungles, ridges, peaks, canyons, rainforests and savannas as our base regions instead.
      I mean I am all for different kind of regions, but let's not ditch the classical ones, like forests, lakes, etc... they are simply too broad and can be made in very different and great ways. Having all those different places can definitely work if the world is as big, or bigger than that of BotW. I can't help but to hope that the next world will be significantly bigger than that of BotW. I have stated in the past that size doesn't matter when it comes to worlds, but if it doesn't hurt the quality, it really is an appealing thought to have an enormous world. As long as it doesn't get repetitive. I want unique enemies and overworld-bosses that only can be found in specific areas. Lynels for example would have had a bigger impact I think if they only were to be found at high peaks of the Eldin region for example... but they are everywhere which makes them less exciting.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• MVS wrote:

The Gossip Stone wrote:

It's time for a new world. Think about it: the last new world we got was the World of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass in 2007 (excluding Lorule from A Link Between Worlds).

I mean I am all for different kind of regions, but let's not ditch the classical ones, like forests, lakes, etc... they are simply too broad and can be made in very different and great ways.
      Do you not think that all those ways have been totally exhausted by now?

Let's take the forest region as an example. We've had a classical fairy forest (Ocarina Of Time), a 'dark' forest (A Link To The Past/A Link Between Worlds), a more tropical forest (Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword), and virtually the same forest repeated from Wind Waker in Breath Of The Wild (I'm talking about Great Hyrule Forest rather than Faron Woods which echoes Skyward Sword once again).

The only way I can imagine this region to be 're-imagined' is to combine it with other elements (a snow forest, for example), but even then, we venture into other area-types.
    • Even if that's true, so what? Forests are too universal and it would just feel wrong if we get a big open world but with no forests or lakes. Like wtf? Sure I can buy the argument that it is old by having forest, vulcano and lake in that specific order in a linear fashion, but these places in themselves should stay if you ask me. I rather want them to make a world big enough so they can put in a lot of new and underused places (like a canyon and a jungle-area). A Zelda game without a magical forest or a nice cozy lake like Lake Hylia sounds like a less fun Zelda to me. And "overused" is not necessarily something bad. If it works, don't change it. You are tired of this, and that is fine. But a lot of people are not tired of these kind of areas.

But to answer your question specifically about how they could make a forest different and interesting (according to me): I want them to make a seamless 3D forest (Lost Woods) without "blackouts" which return you back to the beginning, or something similar. I just want a huuuge seamless 3D forest without that kind of shenanigans... that really confuses you by having a lot of areas that are similar to eachother which will require brainwork and memory. As for a lake, just give me a big lake with a lot of settlements here and there plus minigames and I am happy. Zelda has never had a Lake Hylia (in 3D) with more than a couple of houses at most. And it could be bigger too. Now is the time for just that.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• @MVS Understandable I guess. As someone who's been playing Zelda for almost 20 years (yikes) I guess I'm just bored of repetitive tropes by now. :disappointed:

The variety of regional landscapes showcased in Breath Of The Wild does give me hope that some of these will be introduced to future Zelda games and maybe developed on. For example, the farmland region of Hateno and the seaside region of Lurelin. The same goes for Akalla, Tabantha and Ridgeland region: while they may seem largely empty and lacking personality in Breath Of The Wild, they could definitely be developed into landscapes with their own distinguishing features and history.
    • @The Gossip Stone Well I have played Zelda for 20 years as well, but I can't for the life of me understand how you can be tired of forests and lakes, but to each their own I guess. And I am always envisioning the "perfect Zelda game" (even if it is near impossible), and in the long run I think many would see it as a negative if some traditional kind of environment is missing, especially in a large open world game. And something tells me that if Nintendo would ignore these type of environments for a while, you would start to miss them. Even places/elements that I am not the biggest fan of, I want to see in the "ultimate Zelda". Like water dungeons can feel pretty annoying in many instances depending on the design of them, but it would just feel wrong to not having one in a big mainline Zelda. I don't know. I would probably miss it. And I also believe that massive variation in itself is a big advantage in games, even if you aren't a big fan of a specific element.

I can see that many will not agree with me on this, but personally I see this as a no-brainer. But to each their own. There isn't a correct answer to this. But for a smaller title with limited content like Majora's Mask, then I can buy your idea to skip some traditional elements, which the game also did and I liked it. But of course it just had to have the water element in it lol.

And yes I was a big fan of the Akkala region and I hope that region will stay for the next title.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• How about more jungles and icy forests? Those seem like good twists on the archetype. Swamps or bayous would be neat, too, someplace with lots of run-down derelicts, fireflies flittering about creaky wooden signs, folks living in cabins, and the occasional ghost or stal monster emerging from the mists and murky depths to attack you.

What if sequels took Link and Zelda to lands beyond Hyrule, to regions occupied predominantly by Sheikah, Gerudo, and other human races? I think it'd be neat if Necludans (like the Polynesian-esque people in Lurelin) and Hebrans (basically a mix of Inuit and Central-North Asian, like Zunari or some of the tan-skinned people in BoTW) could be added to the list of Hyrule's distinct ethnic groups and cultures alongside the European Hylians, the Japanese Sheikah, and the Middle Eastern Gerudo.
    • I want Akkala back, and I want to see spooky undead shit all over the place. I looooove spooky forests and the like, and Akkala is perfect for that sort of thing. Imagine an expanded autumn forest, filled with spooky enemies. Imagine the concept of poes expanded from OoT/MM, see them lingering in lore-significant spots mourning the cruelty that stole their loved ones and happiness away.

If that's too spooky for Aonuma and Co, hide the info out of the way somewhere. I don't care. Just give me more spooky shit. I love Castlevania, but I'm shit at them. Zelda's had spooky shit, and I want to see it again. I think I've been harping on about this in various threads since I joined.
    • @Wildecastor While I agree that they should add some "spooky shit", I don't agree that Akkala is the right place for it. It is too damn cozy, beautiful and idyllic. Akkala may be my new favorite region in Hyrule, with Lake Hylia not that long after.

And I don't want to see too much "spooky shit" either. It is enough with one region (like Kakariko in OoT, and Ikana in MM), and with some of it little here and there (like a random hole/grave in nowhere). What I especially liked in OoT was the sharp contrasts, where Hyrule Market is the best example. From a happy, light and lively market, and 7 years later more like a place taken straight out from Resident Evil (almost). But for the most part I want Zelda to stay lighthearted, BUT with some "shockingly" dark elements in some really few places/situations.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MVS ().