Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    What changes would you make to Link's Awakening?
    • TriforceHolder wrote:

If they didn't change the chainchomp and goombas to Zelda monsters that served the same function I doubt we'll see anything beyond streamlining alterations.
      That's... absolutely terrible logic if I'm reading it correctly.
      You're making the hidden argument that Mario references in Link's Awakening are inherently bad and if Nintendo decided to significantly alter the game, they would get rid of those references first and foremost, ergo there won't be significant changes because we're still seeing the goombas and chain chomps in trailers.
      Am I getting this right, because I really didn't think there'd be anyone who considers those easter eggs anywhere close to bugs or undesirables.

This is the first time they remade a pre-OoT game on a home console, even though the switch kinda blurs lines there.
      With A Link Between Worlds, they set out to recreate ALttP but quickly decided to make a new game out of the assets instead.
      Now they're going to use the most powerful hardware they've ever had to recreate one of the shortest and oldest Zelda games out there, and retailers are already (speculatively?) pricing it at 60 bucks.

I just really have a hard time imagining it'll be a pure remake if even the Gameboy Color remake at least had a new color dungeon.
    • Nitro Indigo wrote:

Considering that Pokémon Let's Go also cost $60... I doubt it.
      Then we have Kirby and Yoshi, and you can love it as much as you want but to be fair it is very short games for being 60 dollar-games. It worked on the SNES, but on the Switch? I don't think so. I still want a true 3D Yoshi btw, but forget about that, I don't want to derail the thread with off topic goodness. :v:

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• @'gametos' The Mario references aren't inherently bad but they are distracting. When Link's Awakening first came out both Mario and Zelda were young series. Sharing a few assets between them was cute a nice little thing for people who heavily played both series. You'll notice when Zelda and Mario gained more notoriety any easter eggs that between the games got a lot more subtle. Mario's painting in a window if you looked at it as a strange angle. That's so that suddenly seeing an enemy who you strongly associate with a series that isn't the one you're playing doesn't pull you out of the gaming experience. It would be like seeing a metriod in a Zelda game. It's not going to get the "oh that's cute" response that it would have back in the day. It's going to get a "what the fuck is that doing there" response. It's not inherently harmful to the gameplay experience but it's also not a positive response. The logic goes that if they're not going to spend the minimal amount of effort to make the game go down better with a new generation (literally it would just require a new sprite) then they're not going to be engaging in extensive redesigns.

It'll be like it was with Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD. They'll add some things to fix minor long running complaints, like the sailing speed and winder direction in WW but won't do anything that really changes the game at all. In this case I'd expect a more intuitive item control system but probably not much more.
      "The Oathkeeper's Dawn"

Game In Progress - It has been thirty years since the Dawn of the New Day when without a hero to rescue them champions of the people were forced to rise up and save themselves. Now, on the eve of the 130th Carnival of Time strange rumours circulate the land. Will your wits be enough to discover what has taken hold of the land?

Any help on this project would be appreciated. I want to make it in Solarus which means a 2D ALttP style. However if you don't want to provide technical help there are a range of pieces to work on. Sprites and artwork, music, level design or if you like simply brainstorming and suggesting alterations to the ideas I have currently compiled would be more than welcome.
    • Mario and Zelda cameo in and make references to each other's games all the time.

Mario references in Zelda

• A portrait of Mario appears in ALttP
      • Chain Chomps appeared in ALttP in Turtle Rock
      • The Fairy Fountain theme is a remix of the Water Land theme from SMB3
      • OoT and OoT3D has portraits of Mario and friends in Hyrule Castle
      • Talon and Ingo are based on Mario and Luigi in appearance
      • Talon and Malon wear gold Bowser brooches
      • The Happy Mask Salesman in MM has a mask closely resembling Mario
      • In OoA, during a linked game you rescue Zelda from Vire in a homage to Donkey Kong
      • Bob-Ombs and Lakitus appear in TMC
      • Fyer from Twilight Princess has a bullet bill on his right sleeve
      • The Fire Glove in TFH is a direct nod to the Fire Flower
      • The Hammerwear Outfit in TFH is obviously a cameo of Hammer Bros.

Zelda references in Mario

• SMB3's Magic Whistle uses the same jingle as the Recorder in TLOZ
      • Link cameos in SMRPG, sleeping in the Rose Town Inn
      • M&L:SS has the Great Force appear as an item
      • Mario Party 7 responds to each purchase of a Cruise secret with "Shhh...it's a secret to everybody!"
      • Super Mario 3D World has a secret area in Rainbow Run where the platform reveals a recreation of Link's sprite from TLOZ, complete with music references
      • Link appears in Mario Kart 8 as DLC, complete with his own stage
      • Super Mario Maker allows you to use sprites of Link, Zelda, and other Zelda characters as costumes in 8-bit mode

It might have something to do with Mario and Zelda being Nintendo's two biggest franchises. And yes, I say that with Pokemon in mind, for Pokemon is a second-party series that is co-owned by Nintendo, and whenever it comes to franchise listings, Zelda gets listed right under Mario. Zelda may not have the highest title count or sales numbers, but pound-for-pound it's one of Nintendo's heavyweight champions. Just look at all the fanfare OoT, TP, SS, and BotW were greeted with. Not even Mario's games get that kind of reception. Mario may be the face of Nintendo, but Zelda is the epic Nintendo franchise. If Mario is Nintendo's Mickey Mouse, Zelda is its Lion King or Frozen.

So yeah, no big wonder Nintendo's two top franchises reference each other. And beyond that, Nintendo's various franchises all reference each other all the time. Just do an internet search for "Nintendo Cameos", and order yourself a pizza while you're at it.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Miles ().

• Did we make it three pages without anyone saying 'This looks pretty heavy. You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands.'?

To my eye, that is the only thing wrong with the game. That and the powerup music. Powerup music should be removed from the game.
      "Wow! This looks pretty heavy. You won't be able to lift it because you're a Dalek and have a plunger for a hand."
    • Maybe not make the theme so repetitive? A remix of the music currently playing would be preferable. Or maybe the music is dynamic. Here's an idea: Why not simply combine Pieces of Power and Guardian Acorns into one power-up: Pieces of Courage? While Courage is active, Link's tunic turns gold, attack and defense are doubled, and a more epic version of the current track plays. Then grabbing the power-up actually feels exciting and not annoying.

They might even include a new gold or purple tunic that functions like a permanent Piece of Courage, either replacing the red and blue tunics or functioning as an upgrade thereof. Like, say you have the Switch dungeon which grants you red or blue, then a new "gauntlet" dungeon that rewards you with the golden or purple tunic. That, or you get a Ring of Courage that doubles the appearance rate of Pieces of Courage.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Miles ().

• I hope they don't completely remove the powerup music, but it was very annoying, and the sole reason I never picked them up. Maybe they could just put it somewhere else in the game, as a refrence.

I'd definitely like more refrences, and a Mario 2 refrence could be interesting.

I don't want the color dungeon replaced, I actually liked it. Yes, I want a new dungeon, but not at the expense of a currently existing dungeon.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
      :moon:
    • The Moon of Termina wrote:

I hope they don't completely remove the powerup music, but it was very annoying, and the sole reason I never picked them up. Maybe they could just put it somewhere else in the game, as a refrence.

I'd definitely like more refrences, and a Mario 2 refrence could be interesting.

I don't want the color dungeon replaced, I actually liked it. Yes, I want a new dungeon, but not at the expense of a currently existing dungeon.
      For me, the reason I avoided 'em like the plague is:

"Y O U P I C K E D U P A
      P I E C E O F P O W E R !
      I N C A S E Y O U D I D N ' T
      K N O W Y E T D E S P I T E
      P I C K I N G T H E S E U P
      2 0 T I M E S A L R E A D Y ,
      T H E Y M A K E Y O U
      S T R O N G E R .
      B U T Y O U S T I L L C A N ' T
      P I C K U P T H O S E R O C K S .
      W E ' L L R E M I N D Y O U
      W H E N Y O U B U M P I N T O
      O N E B Y A C C I D E N T . "
    • gamtos wrote:

It's the only Zelda game that takes place in a dreamworld.
      Personally I felt like the references, ESPECIALLY the SMB2 enemies, are a brilliant way to foreshadow to the player that there's something off with the land.
      Don't forget SMB2 ends with Mario waking up.
      What Super Mario Bros 2-specific enemies were there? All I know of are Bob-ombs.

Also, before I posted this comment, I accidentally clicked on something that caused a tick box, followed by "action completed successfully", to appear. This site doesn't work well on vertical phones.
    • The big one was Wart, SMB2's final boss featured in LA as the frog that teaches you the melody to summon the flying rooster.
      "The Oathkeeper's Dawn"

Game In Progress - It has been thirty years since the Dawn of the New Day when without a hero to rescue them champions of the people were forced to rise up and save themselves. Now, on the eve of the 130th Carnival of Time strange rumours circulate the land. Will your wits be enough to discover what has taken hold of the land?

Any help on this project would be appreciated. I want to make it in Solarus which means a 2D ALttP style. However if you don't want to provide technical help there are a range of pieces to work on. Sprites and artwork, music, level design or if you like simply brainstorming and suggesting alterations to the ideas I have currently compiled would be more than welcome.