Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    What changes would you make to Link's Awakening?
    • Hey gang,

Now that Link's Awakening for Switch is a thing, I take it everyone's been reviewing the game a bit to get a newfound understanding of the original.
      Personally, while I'm really enjoying replaying the game, there's a lot of obvious Quality of Life improvements that are very likely to happen.

To name a few:
      • Controls will obviously be remapped. In some cases I even find it inexcusable the first game and DX version didn't have some of these controls, despite the limited amount of buttons. To take some cues from the excellent ALBW and BotW:
        • A: Talk / interact, lift objects (the Power Bracelet should have always been a passive upgrade, not an item), push / pull.
        • B: Attack.
        • Y: Roc's Feather
        • X / ZL / ZR: Variable item slots.
        • R: Shield.
        • L: Pegasus Boots
        • +: Items
        • -: Save / map.
        • Right control stick: move camera.
        • D-pad: Ocarina tunes
      • Due to the more seamless overworld where the camera follows the player instead of going "screen" to "screen", some annoying elements will probably no longer occur:
        • Grass won't regrow every time you walk away from it, unless you exit an entire area.
        • Rocks will no longer return to their old place for the same reason, which makes crossing the same area a lot more pleasant.
        • Ditto monsters that fall into pits.
      • Aside from more text fitting into a single text box and faster text scrolling, improvements on when and what text shows are highly likely.
        • Every time you bump into an obstacle you already know how to deal with, you're no longer going to get messages like "WHAT A WEIRD ROCK". You'll likely investigate objects with A instead.
        • There will be a clearer distinction on when a narrator is commenting on something and when someone else is speaking.
        • Bits and pieces of new text are VERY likely to be sprinkled into the original dialogue. A lot of things you can investigate have the same response right now; it would be nice to have some variations.
        • Many sentences are likely to get restructured to flow better.
      • Some additions to the Telephone Booth hint system are incredibly likely (see OoT3D).
        • Secret Seashell locations are likely to receive SOME sort of hints. Possibly in the form of a jingle instead.
        • Ditto on trade quests and any new sidequests that may have been added.
      • New content:
        • A new dungeon is fairly likely.
        • Amiibo compatibility; outfits, perhaps.
        • More Secret Seashells and items / upgrades to go along with it.
        • More (variations on) enemies. Golden enemies like in Minish Cap seem like a nobrainer.
        • More references to Nintendo games. Link's Awakening is chuck full of easter egg enemies and characters, adding to that while upgrading the graphics would be entirely in the spirit of the game.
        • More fast-travel points; likely have Manbo's Mambo work for all of them.
      • HUD:
        • A minimap option.
        • A total overhaul of the map as areas are not as segmented. Lots of better icons for points of interest too.

That's all of the stuff I consider to be expected in this remake; what's some stuff you think would be essential or just really really neat?
    • Oooh that's a definite pick. Or at least have the swamp monsters just disappear after Bottle Grotto.

I think it's gonna be hard selling this game at a crazy $60,- without something extra, like:
      - A multiplayer mode.
      - More endings.
      - An ALBW style enemy gauntlet.
      - For that matter, virtually anything ALBW has, like bow upgrades and goth waifus.
    • Fal Cie wrote:

Make the Wind Fish Egg into a proper final dungeon.
      Get the shovel and bow through mini dungeons rather than the shop. Or less fun, make rupees greater than the ‘one’ value.
      Alternative dialogue for finding out the truth of the island early.
      Would be nice to have spots where you can dig to find 50 rupees or something. In turn, more ways to spend money.

What would be absolutely amazing is if they bring back the Hateno house idea and give Link his own place in Mabe village that you can continuously upgrade.
    • :heart: More interactions with Marin. Flesh her character out more and update her look with concept art or cut scenes. :heart:

I'd also like an alternate ending where some of the citizens escape the island with Link. Or at least Marin and Tarin. I never did like the Seagull theory.

Oh speaking of which. A more definitive ending with Link eventually making it back to Hyrule or some new country.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.
    • gamtos wrote:

Fal Cie wrote:

Make the Wind Fish Egg into a proper final dungeon.
      Get the shovel and bow through mini dungeons rather than the shop. Or less fun, make rupees greater than the ‘one’ value.
      Alternative dialogue for finding out the truth of the island early.
      Would be nice to have spots where you can dig to find 50 rupees or something. In turn, more ways to spend money.
      What would be absolutely amazing is if they bring back the Hateno house idea and give Link his own place in Mabe village that you can continuously upgrade.
      Or the ghost house!

Edit- Actually, make it have a Castlevania/Animal Crossing vibe to it (you find items for the house around the map) and you can decorate the interior!

Maybe even have the ghost appear after you drop him off at his grave, just to comment on your progress!

Or something!
      :ghirahim: :cucco: :look: :tingle: :moon:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guinea ().

• Main thing that comes to mind (and already mentioned in OP), dedicated buttons for certain actions. Switch has more buttons than the GB/GBC, let's use them. A dedicated action button, attack, shield block, etc. I just want better controls overall. The original was limited by hardware, now that's not really an issue. I don't want to see them limit themselves all for the sake some ridiculous notion, which I highly doubt they will.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • Hm. Well, for me, I'd like a proper name for the Level 2 Sword, for one thing. I'm tired of using the fan name of Seashell Sword; a new design would be great too; we don't need yet another Master Sword. How about making it look like the Magical Sword, or calling it the Noble Sword like in the Oracles games?

A hidden ref to those games would be nice too; doesn't matter whether LA happens before or afterwards now as long as it gets acknowledged; I've always considered the three games to be part of a trilogy anyway with their shared graphical style back in the day, and I do hope Nintendo follows this up with remakes of those games.
    • MORPHRELINK wrote:

More interactions with Marin. Flesh her character out more and update her look with concept art or cut scenes.
      Adding to that, just add more story scenarios in general. They don't have to be mandatory, just little easter egg sequences, like showing the scenes with the photos, or the companions you get.

Allow the Flying Rooster to be used after getting the Bird Key. It would be nice if you could have a little quirky interaction between him and BowWow.

Other than that, the OP lists pretty much everything I want.
    • Okami Takahashi wrote:

Hm. Well, for me, I'd like a proper name for the Level 2 Sword, for one thing. I'm tired of using the fan name of Seashell Sword; a new design would be great too; we don't need yet another Master Sword. How about making it look like the Magical Sword, or calling it the Noble Sword like in the Oracles games?

I actually hope they make it an actual seashell-inspired sword.
      With a nautilus pommel and a conch handle and all that.

A hidden ref to those games would be nice too; doesn't matter whether LA happens before or afterwards now as long as it gets acknowledged; I've always considered the three games to be part of a trilogy anyway with their shared graphical style back in the day, and I do hope Nintendo follows this up with remakes of those games.

Would be kind of a waste if they didn't.