Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    gamtos' big list of Breath of the Wild challenges
    • Hey folks,

One of my favorite things to do in Breath of the Wild is anything I can damn well imagine, because the game is very, VERY open to experimentation.
      With that in mind I want to compile a list of challenges I've done and enjoyed. If you have any idea on how to solve it, please answer in spoiler tags.
      Keep in mind some of these aren't hard at all - they're just really cool in my humble opinion.

Shout out to DLR's old challenge thread for giving some ideas.

Quick challenges:
      1. Get to the top of Wasteland Tower without touching the sides. Octorok balloons, Revali's Gale and minecarts are not allowed.
      2. Get into Tarrey Town without swimming, climbing, balloons, minecarts, paraglider or the bridge outside.
      3. Go to the Monya Toma shrine close to Serenne stable. Shield surf down the slope and leap over the fence while shield surfing. Only works when it rains, which is often in that area.
      4. Quickdraw challenge. Defeat a Yiga Footsoldier with the Eightfold Longblade or Wind Cleaver, by using the charge attack right as they come rushing at you. Attack+++ status recommended as the challenge gets tedious otherwise.
      5. Octoball derby. Kill an Octorok by reflecting its rock with a heavy two-handed club.
      6. Batter up. Have a silver moblin or bokoblin throw rocks at you (silver ones throw faster so it won't take as long). Hit back 8 in a row using a Boko Bat or torch.
      7. (DLC) Defeat a Guardian Scout II by reflecting its shots with shield parries in Hard Mode. If you miss two parries, the Guardian Scout heals back some of the damage you've done, making it more challenging
      Ganon challenges (no limits on food, hearts, stamina, upgrades, etc):
      1. I Fight For My Friends: Defeat Calamity Ganon (after Divine Beasts) wearing the Hylian Trousers and Champion's Tunic. You're only allowed to use the Champion's weapons and powers.
      2. O.G. Link: Defeat Calamity Ganon (after Divine Beasts) wearing the Hylian Trousers and Champion's Tunic. The only weapon you're allowed to use is the Master Sword; no bows, no shields, no champion powers.
      Challenge runs:
      1. Gotta Catch 'Em All: Complete the Hyrule Compendium WITHOUT buying pictures from Symin. This needs to be a run because at some point, it is impossible to obtain regular/mighty Lynel Crushers and Spears, photograph Guardian Sentries from Vah Rudania or, when lacking the DLC, take a picture of the four Blights.
        A pretty fun run because you need to defeat Lynels at an early stage in the game before the game makes the enemies stronger.
      2. (DLC) Royal Guard Training: As soon as you're off of the Great Plateau, infiltrate into Hyrule Castle. Don't get any orbs on the way. The moment your map turns to the 3D image of Hyrule Castle, remove your equipment, drop your weapons AND your food. Your job is to amass weaponry and find and equip the three pieces of Royal Guard armor. Then, defeat Calamity Ganon using the weapons you found along the way. Very hard due to the limited inventory space.

Post by LinkFooL ().

This post was deleted by Big Daddy Biggles: Nothing to do with the topic at hand. ().
    • I'll definitely try some of those (except octoball derby, because I don't want to be reminded of that dreadful minigame.)

Can I add something to your challenges?

Beat all the non DLC shrines on the Great Plateau without using the rune given to you in that shrine. You can only use things normally found on the Great Plateau (no octo-balloons, master sword, champion powers, etc.) Also, no paraglider, because why not. No limit on stamina or hearts.

I've done this one, and the only really hard one is the cryonis shrine. It's a fun challenge though.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • You can bomb/bomb arrow the last big ball in the stasis shrine (you need a good angle.) Yes, for the cryonis shrine, I bomb jumped over the first gate next to the entrance elevator, and used bombs for the rest of the puzzles.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • A good one would be
      Vegan Link:

Play the game like you would normally, but you must only use stuff that didnt come from animals. (No meat, hunting, goat butter, etc. including armor upgrades requiring monster bits) Also, only attacking enemies that attack you first or are hurting travelers. (Blights/Ganon as exceptions)
      Sounds easy, right? Majoras Mask/Kilton masks not allowed.

Hearts Are For Sissies:
      Go through the game without a single heart container. Stamina upgrades only, no Master Sword. (If you have the DLC, includes that)

Swords Only:
      Playthrough using ONLY sword weapons. (Master Sword allowed)

One Trick Pony:
      Playthrough using only ONE registered horse (only one allowed in the registry so choose wisely) and using lance weapons and one armor set. (No changing clothes) Horse revival allowed.
    • You focused on the easiest part of the challenge. Only having one armor set and only pole-arms (lances don't exist in BotW) is the real trickery here.

Using only lances means no bow and no shields, which is a really big restriction when fighting Ganon / Blights as the only projectile option left is chucking your weapons.
      Using only one armor is KINDA tricky. Either you get a decent one 'round the start, like the soldier armor (or leave out the chest part for the Champion Tunic), or you'll have to scavenge for something like the barbarian armor naked. Getting Urbosa's Fury would greatly help in battling the blights when they're in a location you can't reach, but that would require you to choose the Gerudo Vai armor as your playthrough armor as it's required to clear Vah Naboris.

A very tricky run for sure. I got very little clue how I'd handle it.

But yeah the horse bit is like... barely a restriction lol.
    • You could use the Vai armor just to get in Gerudo Town, but stick to your chosen armor when not in Gerudo Town. Bows would only be allowed during Medoh/Ruta/Naboris entering quests cuz i dunno if it's possible to do those without bows or specified arrows. If it is, i gotta try some shit.

The horse one is a restriction if you catch a shitty spot butt horse. You must use the first horse you catch. But easily cheesed if you pick Epona/Big Daddy/Royal Horse.
    • Loki Laufeyson wrote:

You could use the Vai armor just to get in Gerudo Town, but stick to your chosen armor when not in Gerudo Town. Bows would only be allowed during Medoh/Ruta/Naboris entering quests cuz i dunno if it's possible to do those without bows or specified arrows. If it is, i gotta try some shit.

The horse one is a restriction if you catch a shitty spot butt horse. You must use the first horse you catch. But easily cheesed if you pick Epona/Big Daddy/Royal Horse.
      I get Andre the Giant Horse and the Zelda horse...and now that I have the amiibo, Epona. That's it.

And you HAVE to have a bow for the three divine beasts...not optional. Already tried it.