Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    What should I do??? (Twilight Princess)
    • I have a Wii and recently finished The Wind Waker and would like to play Twilight Princess. The exploration and combat were fun, BUT the combat was too easy. The enemies don't inflict that much damage at all and the tougher ones always drop those orbs that you can shatter for plenty more hearts and arrows. I didn't feel like I was challenged at all, really.

I found out that the HD versions of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have an unlockable Hero Mode, but since I don't have a WiiU, I'm stuck with getting the GameCube version of Twilight Princess.

I've heard that Twilight Princess is also very easy :( I don't like the idea of investing in a game when it isn't difficult at all. What should I do?
    • The combat in Twilight Princess is considerably different from TWW's. At certain points of the story you can unlock new combat moves that are more complex than those in TWW (which only require you to press one button). There are also some harder enemies like Darknuts and Dynalfos which require you to put these new moves to use, the shield has more use, and the enemies don't drop the spoils orbs.

Even if that doesn't seem enough to you, Twilight Princess is good enough that you should give it a go anyway.

Not dead. Just very, very tired.

:yeppers: Join our signature cult! :yeppers:
    • Twilight Princess may be easy combat-wise, but there are really good puzzles, music and atmosphere in the game. I am hoping for a TP HD-port on the Switch, but I will definitely not re-buy it for the combat, but the overall experience. There are plenty of other games if you just want a challenge when it comes to combat. BotW is pretty challenging for being a Zelda game though, especially in the beginning.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• FatalChild wrote:

I have a Wii and recently finished The Wind Waker and would like to play Twilight Princess. The exploration and combat were fun, BUT the combat was too easy. The enemies don't inflict that much damage at all and the tougher ones always drop those orbs that you can shatter for plenty more hearts and arrows. I didn't feel like I was challenged at all, really.

I found out that the HD versions of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have an unlockable Hero Mode, but since I don't have a WiiU, I'm stuck with getting the GameCube version of Twilight Princess.

I've heard that Twilight Princess is also very easy :( I don't like the idea of investing in a game when it isn't difficult at all. What should I do?
      Honestly, if you enjoyed TWW's exploration and combat but were turned off by the low difficulty, you'll probably find TP as much a chore to play as I did. It has very little exploration, as it's super-linear and most of the overworld is pretty empty; TP's areas feel barebones and sterile compared to those of previous 3d Zeldas. And it's as easy if not easier than TWW, making the battles feel like pointless filler, if not a chore. There's also an annoying short delay after you press the sword button and before Link swings it, making the combat feel more sluggish and less responsive than TWW's.

You didn't mention enjoying TWW's puzzles. TP has a greater focus on puzzles than previous 3d Zeldas, given its huge dungeons, the downgraded exploration and the easy battles. So if puzzles were never your favorite part of Zelda, you probably won't enjoy TP.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Maku Scrub ().

• Maku Scrub wrote:

FatalChild wrote:

You didn't mention enjoying TWW's puzzles. TP has a greater focus on puzzles than previous 3d Zeldas, given its huge dungeons, the downgraded exploration and the easy battles. So if puzzles were never your favorite part of Zelda, you probably won't enjoy TP.

In regards to puzzles, I like Zelda style puzzles, but I prefer the combat aspect of it a lot more (especially if the puzzle is how to defeat this enemy or boss with my available items) . I've played both Oracle of Seasons and Ages; I really enjoyed Seasons (which has an emphasis on combat) after I first played it ten years ago and even got the game from the online shop for my 3DS; I LOATHED Ages (which has an emphasis on puzzles) and never want to play that game again.

So yeah, I'm guessing Twilight Princess won't be enjoyable to me.
    • FatalChild wrote:

Maku Scrub wrote:

FatalChild wrote:

In regards to puzzles, I like Zelda style puzzles, but I prefer the combat aspect of it a lot more (especially if the puzzle is how to defeat this enemy or boss with my available items) . I've played both Oracle of Seasons and Ages; I really enjoyed Seasons (which has an emphasis on combat) after I first played it ten years ago and even got the game from the online shop for my 3DS; I LOATHED Ages (which has an emphasis on puzzles) and never want to play that game again.
      So yeah, I'm guessing Twilight Princess won't be enjoyable to me.
      If you loathed OoA, I think it's a given you won't like TP. The overlong, slow-paced dungeons were the part I found the most tedious about it; they just dragged on and made the gameplay too repetitive IMO. Even Aonuma felt that they were too long in retrospective, which was what influenced the decision to put smaller dungeons in BotW.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Maku Scrub ().

• I actually really enjoy the combat in Twilight Princess. There's a lot of variety, and most of the items you get have some use in combat if you look for it. Since you enjoy exploration, I wouldn't recommend a 3-heart run. Instead, take the pieces of heart that you find throughout the world, but pass up the full heart containers you would get from bosses. Also, I recommend keeping warping to a minimum. There are a few times when you have to warp for plot reasons, but the game kind of telegraphs those. Refraining from warping other times will sometimes strand you in certain places, so that you run out of potions and fairies and taking any damage at all feels like a loss. You can also increase the damage you take with a certain item later in the game. It's too bad you don't have the HD version; Hero Mode and the Ganondorf amiibo make it so that even some minor enemies can kill you in one hit late-game.

That being said, there are a lot of dungeons with a lot of puzzles, so if you don't like puzzles, there's a good chance the game just isn't for you.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • gamtos wrote:

The cave of Ordeals is a very good place for combat.

But if that's what you're looking for in a Zelda game, your best bets are Zelda II or BotW's Trial of the Sword.
      BotW in general is challenging (at least for a start) compared to TP. Stuff like Cave of Ordeals and Trial of the Sword are not my cup of tea because I hate to come really far only to die and have to start all over. Challenging? Yes. Fun? No.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().