Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    Anyone here play Pikmin?
    • Bomb Arrow wrote:

The Moon of Termina wrote:

I really don't like the changes to white and purple Pikmin. Maybe the ice pikmin could be light blue and the spring Pikmin another color. Although I do agree that rock and purple Pikmin do have much of the same function.

Other than that, I really like the rest of it. Green Pikmin camouflaging another object is genius.

One thing I didn't clear up, is that you never permanently get Bulbmin. You can find them in a cave, and take control of them by killing the Bulbmin leader, but they can't leave the cave with you. So adding a new Pikmin that can do what the Bulbmin did is pretty cool.
      If their function doesn't really match with their color then it only makes sense to change it. Plus the new abilities actually do match well with the colors like white with ice and purple with poison.
      As for Bulbmin, I didn't like the idea that they're not 'real' Pikmin and that they have those kind of limitations so I would rather have a new breed that does the same thing and more, and in a better way. Then you can take them anywhere and use them on almost anything.
      Yes, it would make sense to change their color. But it wouldn't make sense for them to randomly change characteristics. Pikmin is one of the few Nintendo series that isn't extremely confusing, and I think randomly changing colors and elements might need an incredibly confusing explanation.

The Bulbmin are real Pikmin. Just imagine that a bulborb ate a Pikmin seed. The Pikmin seed than grew into the bulborb's brain and took control. (Along with sprouting a leaf out of it's back) However, I also prefer your idea of the Pikmin that need to latch on to take control. It could lead to some interesting puzzles.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • The Moon of Termina wrote:

Bomb Arrow wrote:

The Moon of Termina wrote:

I really don't like the changes to white and purple Pikmin. Maybe the ice pikmin could be light blue and the spring Pikmin another color. Although I do agree that rock and purple Pikmin do have much of the same function.

Other than that, I really like the rest of it. Green Pikmin camouflaging another object is genius.

One thing I didn't clear up, is that you never permanently get Bulbmin. You can find them in a cave, and take control of them by killing the Bulbmin leader, but they can't leave the cave with you. So adding a new Pikmin that can do what the Bulbmin did is pretty cool.
      If their function doesn't really match with their color then it only makes sense to change it. Plus the new abilities actually do match well with the colors like white with ice and purple with poison.As for Bulbmin, I didn't like the idea that they're not 'real' Pikmin and that they have those kind of limitations so I would rather have a new breed that does the same thing and more, and in a better way. Then you can take them anywhere and use them on almost anything.
      Yes, it would make sense to change their color. But it wouldn't make sense for them to randomly change characteristics. Pikmin is one of the few Nintendo series that isn't extremely confusing, and I think randomly changing colors and elements might need an incredibly confusing explanation.
      The Bulbmin are real Pikmin. Just imagine that a bulborb ate a Pikmin seed. The Pikmin seed than grew into the bulborb's brain and took control. (Along with sprouting a leaf out of it's back) However, I also prefer your idea of the Pikmin that need to latch on to take control. It could lead to some interesting puzzles.
      If they can change the rules about what Pokemon types are weak or strong against others despite multiple other generations being established one way, they can change the Pikmin color to reflect their abilities without it being too obtuse. Plus they should all actually LOOK like Pikmin which the Bulbmin don't (which also makes them less restricted in their ability to be used when and where).
    • I watched ten minutes of a LP of Pikmin 3 and I'm sold. It looks awesome.

Is Pikmin 4 a thing? Or is it hardly a rumor?

Edit- Did some digging. Apparently Pikmin 4 was announced in 2014 as being almost complete. And supposedly it's coming out in 2019.

I don't know what to make of it, but if it pops up during E3 and is slated for a release this year, I'll pick it up.
      :ghirahim: :cucco: :look: :tingle: :moon:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guinea ().

• Pikmin 3 was a really good game, so I highly suggest it.

Yes, it was "almost done" in 2014... I think that they just had to completely remake it for the Switch, since it could've relied heavily on the Gamepad.

Wait, where did you read it's coming out this year? That would be awesome.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

I agree about the Bulbmin, not about Pikmin, but that's alright.

What do you think some collectables could be?
      It depends on what things have already been used as collectables in previous games. I'm not overly familiar or haven't memorized what I may have found in Pikmin 3 so I'm not sure what apart from the fruits and things that give your equipment upgrades are considered collectables.
    • So far the only collectables have been ship parts, treasures, and fruit (some fruit were actually treasures in the previous game.) I think that we should collect treasures again, but call them artifacts, since the team down there is a research team.

So far the only collectables have been ship parts, treasures, and fruit (some fruit were actually treasures in the previous game.) I think that we should collect treasures again, but call them artifacts, since the team down there is a research team.
      Okay, but what are they calling treasures? Like actual treasures such as precious stones, gold coins or other things made up of gold, silver, precious metals and possibly combinations of gemstones? Or treasures as in curious artifacts like batteries and other discarded junk that are unfamiliar to these alien explorers? It would depend on their definition of treasure before I could render a verdict on what a good collectible category would be for a new game. But given that they would ideally be historians I'd say let it focus on things that collect film, sound and other data like film reels, VHS tapes, floppy discs, flash drives, flip books, CDs and DVDs, etc. Anything that can store or project images, audio and/or video.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bomb Arrow ().

Treasures were literally everything, from a Japanese coin to a game and watch to a floppy disc to a playing card to a strawberry. Almost nothing actually valueable.
      I think it would make more sense if it followed a theme. Timepieces, camera equipment, electronic memory storage, stuff like that. Something that connects each of the pieces in some way rather than random garbage. The Paper Mario games that I didn't care for did that type of thing with its Thing Sticker/Cards and it stuck out like a sore thumb.
    • Bomb Arrow wrote:

I think it would make more sense if it followed a theme. Timepieces, camera equipment, electronic memory storage, stuff like that. Something that connects each of the pieces in some way rather than random garbage. The Paper Mario games that I didn't care for did that type of thing with its Thing Sticker/Cards and it stuck out like a sore thumb.
      Well, the characters are historians, so they are going to want to study everything, not just memory stuff. I do agree that the main objects should follow a theme, such as memory cards, maybe even a history textbook. But I feel like it wouldn't make sense for everything they collect to be themed. If they are researching a long dead civilization, wouldn't they want to know everything about them? That would include looking at a hat, and theorizing what it was for. Maybe the fact that humans were much bigger than them can be discovered at the end of the game, because of a picture of one next to an object they had previously found?

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Well, the characters are historians, so they are going to want to study everything, not just memory stuff. I do agree that the main objects should follow a theme, such as memory cards, maybe even a history textbook. But I feel like it wouldn't make sense for everything they collect to be themed. If they are researching a long dead civilization, wouldn't they want to know everything about them? That would include looking at a hat, and theorizing what it was for. Maybe the fact that humans were much bigger than them can be discovered at the end of the game, because of a picture of one next to an object they had previously found?
      Well those kinds of things would be what are able to archive data from the past so if they're historians looking for clues about what life was like back then, that kind of thing would be worth a thousand static clues like leftover food and other discarded junk. The reason it makes sense to have everything follow a theme is maybe each member of the crew (since Pikmin 3 had 3 different astronauts to use) has a specialty and so they'll want to look for things that go along with their area of expertise. That way instead of just sticking to one theme, there can still be several. One could be skilled in getting electronic data out of storage devices, one could be an expert at examining biological artifacts (bones, blood, etc.), and so forth. Maybe even having each thing they find in pieces, so they have to be assembled like a puzzle? And you have to orient things in a 3D grid like a further puzzle so they can be reassembled in the correct shape so they can be positively identified.

Like one historian who's more of an art history expert could assemble a complete outfit; they would have to find shoes, socks, underwear, shorts, shirt and a hat in order to correctly organize a full ensemble and that could be their clue as to the actual size of the human population that they haven't ever encountered (and likely never will). Or a different historian who specializes in biology complete set of bones (feet, upper and lower legs, pelvis, spine, rib cage, clavicle, upper and lower arms, hands, and skull) to get an idea about the anatomy of a deceased human. That way in some cases things can seem random but when you see the complete picture it all makes sense. Maybe throw in some junk items just to help keep things interesting so you have to guess what goes with what, and wrong guesses can lead to some very humorous conclusions on the part of the crew.