Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    Anyone here play Pikmin?
    • Pikmin 3 is the only one I've played but I enjoy it well enough. I just don't like how you're under a time limit because I like taking my time and exploring so it doesn't give me enough of that to really appreciate everything about the amazing environments around me. If they could just let you have at it like any of the 3D Mario or Zelda games it would be fine. Also I think the Wii U gamepad is the absolutely most perfect mechanism by which to play the game so I'm hesitant to get either of the others before it even with the Wii re-release or Virtual Console versions.

But I agree with youtube puppet guy Arlo that there should be a level editor in the next one.
    • Pikmin 3 was really good, but I actually felt the controls were a bit too untraditional compared to the first two. If you want to play one of the older two, I'd suggest Pikmin 2. It is the longest Pikmin game, and has no day limit, though you still have to leave the area at night. There are also randomly generated cave dungeons to go through, where time stops completely. The game has the worst (but funniest) story though, and some difficulty spikes. It is my favorite game in the series.

Arlo? I've never watched him, though he has popped up in my recommended a bunch. A level editor would be interesting, but I don't see how it would work very well. Could you give me a link to his video?
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • I’ve only played Pikmin 3, but looking at the other two games (not counting Hey! Pikmin) in the series I felt like it dealt with the limited time mechanic the best. 2 didn’t have a limit at all and I feel like that takes away some of the danger and difficulty of the series, while 1 had a hard limit of 30 days with no way to buffer it so if you reach that limit you asphyxiate on poisonous oxygen. I HATE time limits (which is why it took me ten years to warm up to Majora’s Mask enough to play it) so I avoided Pikmin 1 like it wanted to eat my family.

Pikmin 3 does technically have a hard limit, but it lets you increase the number of days you have by gathering stuff in the fields. I find that less stressful than a counter that’s constantly going down because I feel like I have some control over things. I just feel like they maybe gave the players a little too much leeway with how many days you could hoard, because I’m not particularly good at strategy games and yet I ended up with a month for a buffer. Even if I murdered all my Pikmin I wouldn’t be able to waste that many days building them back up.

And apparently Pikmin 3 is also the easiest of the games since they made a lot of the enemies kill less Pikmin and get stunlocked easier, and less deadly environmental hazards.
    • Yes! I've played all of the Pikmin games and I love them. The original I've played multiple times and Pikmin 2 I've played twice. Pikmin 3 and Hey! Pikmin I've only played once but I really enjoyed both and I want to replay both some time. And I have 100%ed Pikmin 2, stressful as it was! It was a lot of fun though. If I had to pick a favourite, I'd probably go with 2.
    • I'm currently replaying Pikmin 1 now. I'm on day 7, with 11 ship parts. About to face my least favorite boss of Pikmin 1: the Snagret triplets. I can never beat those things without losing less than 10 pikmin...
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

• The Moon of Termina wrote:

Pikmin 3 was really good, but I actually felt the controls were a bit too untraditional compared to the first two. If you want to play one of the older two, I'd suggest Pikmin 2. It is the longest Pikmin game, and has no day limit, though you still have to leave the area at night. There are also randomly generated cave dungeons to go through, where time stops completely. The game has the worst (but funniest) story though, and some difficulty spikes. It is my favorite game in the series.

Arlo? I've never watched him, though he has popped up in my recommended a bunch. A level editor would be interesting, but I don't see how it would work very well. Could you give me a link to his video?
      It's not a bad thing for something to be un-traditional, and frankly the touch screen is the most effective way of commanding Pikmin when doing an all-out attack on something or sending them in a particular direction so I don't think any other control scheme could beat it.

Here's the video of Arlo I'm talking about; it's primarily a rant on how Nintendo is basically raping the Paper Mario franchise but there's a little piece at the end about how he wants there to be a level editor function in Pikmin 4.

• I'm not saying that nontraditional is a bad thing, I just wasn't used to it, that's all. I can see how it would be useful, but I still played with the traditional controls.

I'll have to watch that video later, since I'm short on time, but I'm interested in how he'll suggest a Pikmin level editor. I just don't see it working well myself.

I'm not saying that nontraditional is a bad thing, I just wasn't used to it, that's all. I can see how it would be useful, but I still played with the traditional controls.

I'll have to watch that video later, since I'm short on time, but I'm interested in how he'll suggest a Pikmin level editor. I just don't see it working well myself.
      Have you played Fallout 4? I would assume it would be something like managing your settlements, building or placing or moving things around a terrain, possibly reshaping some of it or adding things like water, etc. I don't think it would be difficult to implement, although I think they ought to keep the primary story levels separate and just let players have a 'Creative Mode' where a blank map is given and they can modify it however they please. Maybe with some existing templates just to get it started if you don't want to build all the way from the ground up. But seriously, they need more games that would be able to justify their wack online service charge. Having an online multiplayer mode for it or being able to play someone else's created level would go a long way toward that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bomb Arrow ().

• I haven't played Fallout 4, so I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but maybe I'll look it up in a little bit.

Placing objects such as enemies, pellets, fruits/treasures/ship parts would be easy, but I don't think the terrain would be easy at all. At least not without simplifying it down to cubes, and other straight lines that just don't feel natural. If they find a way around that problem, I'd be quite happy, and would love to share and play online levels.

Also, I just watched that Arlo video, and it was good, but does he have a video where he talks more in detail about his level editor idea?

• Own and played Pikmin 1 and 2. Somehow, they unnerve me really bad. As a kid, I never beat Pikmin 1, because I'd get anxious and end up barely exploring and just producing Pikmin instead. I liked that Pikmin 2 let me take some days to just farm sprays and Pikmin.

I played through half of Hey! Pikmin as well. I thought it was pretty decent, but I dropped it when I saw Purples and Whites weren't actually in it.
    • I played some of Pikmin 3 (up to the part where you get flying pikmin).
      I was really bad at it though. I ended up being super low on food, and that made me super anxious, so I stopped playing it.
      I still play the multiplayer mode from time to time though.
      I'm planning on restarting it, and I'm certain I can do better this time!
    • Pikmin is a pretty great series (although I've only played the first two). Pikmin 2 is generally considered the best, but I also enjoy the dire situation and Olimar's stoic resolve in the first. One thing about Pikmin that isn't often appreciated is that it's one of the few science fiction franchises that focuses on ecology.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

I haven't played Fallout 4, so I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but maybe I'll look it up in a little bit.

Placing objects such as enemies, pellets, fruits/treasures/ship parts would be easy, but I don't think the terrain would be easy at all. At least not without simplifying it down to cubes, and other straight lines that just don't feel natural. If they find a way around that problem, I'd be quite happy, and would love to share and play online levels.

Also, I just watched that Arlo video, and it was good, but does he have a video where he talks more in detail about his level editor idea?
      Unfortunately no, he doesn't ever elaborate on it to my knowledge but it's a pretty easy concept to understand. It would basically just be like a Sims sort of thing but tailored to the Pikmin environment. Kind of like if you were to create a battlefield grid for one of those strategy RPGs only with better graphics. But I wouldn't mind a graphical downgrade if it meant they could produce a new game faster and just make new features available, maybe some new breeds of Pikmin. Like a kind that can attach themselves to a giant creature and control it (like those spores that create zombie ants).
    • Valflame wrote:

Own and played Pikmin 1 and 2. Somehow, they unnerve me really bad. As a kid, I never beat Pikmin 1, because I'd get anxious and end up barely exploring and just producing Pikmin instead. I liked that Pikmin 2 let me take some days to just farm sprays and Pikmin.

I played through half of Hey! Pikmin as well. I thought it was pretty decent, but I dropped it when I saw Purples and Whites weren't actually in it.
      Pikmin 1 was what really got me. The 30 day time limit was just so intimidating. I never beat it until I beat Pikmin 2, when I had a better understanding of how to play the game.

Hey! Pikmin was a fun game (not as good as others). But you dropped it just because there weren't purple or whites? I really wish they weren't so ignored though...

CielBell wrote:

I played some of Pikmin 3 (up to the part where you get flying pikmin).
      I was really bad at it though. I ended up being super low on food, and that made me super anxious, so I stopped playing it.
      I still play the multiplayer mode from time to time though.
      I'm planning on restarting it, and I'm certain I can do better this time!
      You should! It's a really fun game.

Guinea wrote:

I've never played Pikmin but I want to!

It looks fun!!
      I'd suggest starting on 2, then play 1, then 3. Just because of gameplay reasons. If you play 3 first, 1 and 2 might feel unplayable, because 3 refined a lot of the controls. Also, 2 is probably the medium difficulty of the series, with 1 being hardest, and 3 being easiest, at least in my opinion.

Vulpes wrote:

Pikmin is a pretty great series (although I've only played the first two). Pikmin 2 is generally considered the best, but I also enjoy the dire situation and Olimar's stoic resolve in the first. One thing about Pikmin that isn't often appreciated is that it's one of the few science fiction franchises that focuses on ecology.
      I really did like the atmosphere of the first Pikmin. Olimar was characterized so well. I really like the Piklopedia, because of the ecologic aspects to it. It was cool to read through a scientific description of fake animals.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Unfortunately no, he doesn't ever elaborate on it to my knowledge but it's a pretty easy concept to understand. It would basically just be like a Sims sort of thing but tailored to the Pikmin environment. Kind of like if you were to create a battlefield grid for one of those strategy RPGs only with better graphics. But I wouldn't mind a graphical downgrade if it meant they could produce a new game faster and just make new features available, maybe some new breeds of Pikmin. Like a kind that can attach themselves to a giant creature and control it (like those spores that create zombie ants).
      That would be a really cool Pikmin type, and they actually have a similar type in Pikmin 2 called the bulbmin. They are little bulborbs with a leaf sticking out of their back, and can be controlled in the caves. I would love to see that concept expanded on like you said, maybe a boss could rely on that kind of Pikmin taking control of a cannon beetle to shoot it, or something.

Hey! Pikmin was a fun game (not as good as others). But you dropped it just because there weren't purple or whites? I really wish they weren't so ignored though...
      They edited the master onion to have purple and white on it, so I had thought purple and white Pikmin would be in the game. When I finally realized they weren't showing up, I was disappointed, set the game down, and then forgot to ever pick it up again.
    • Ah, okay. I never realized that the Master Onion had purple and white on it, I'll check.

Maybe they planned to put them in, but didn't? I really hope that they bring them back in Pikmin 4 for the main game, and not just challenge mode. I know it would be kind of complicated to have 7 (not including any new types they might introduce) types of Pikmin with you at once, but it could be manageable.