Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    In-game evidence for Kaepora Gaebora/Rauru connection?
    • I know Hyrule Historia says they're the same character, but I don't really care. Roland Barthes' Death of the Author, blah blah blah. So what in-game evidence is there? Is it just one gossip stone, that mentions Kaepora Gaebora being the reincarnation of an ancient sage? (I've heard there's some debate about the translation of "reincarnation.")

The post was edited 2 times, last by TofuBomb ().

• "The owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage."

"They say that strange owl, Kaepora Gaebora, may look big and heavy, but its character is rather light hearted."

That's what the Gossip Stones said.

I will check out the Japanese but "reincarnation of an ancien Sage" and "Light Hearted" may refer to Rauru, as Sage of Light.
    • Nonoctoro covered the main evidence but I never really thought he was Rauru for a few reasons.
      1. He and Rauru have totally different personalities. KG is constantly warm and friendly while Rauru is formal and all business.
      2. KG never believed in time travel, it would be very strange for Rauru to not believe in it considering he exists as a failsafe for when the HoT appears.
      3. KG decided it’s not his time anymore once Link meets him in the desert. But Rauru is completely needed to seal away Ganon and support Link.

I actually believed he was a former king of Hyrule, thinking he would have been a past seventh sage.
      When Gaepora appeared in SS I thought I was right. That this doting headmaster is still watching over the reincarnation of his favourite pupil.
      I still think it makes for a better interpretation, next time you play through OoT imagine it’s the old headmaster looking out for Link.
    • @TofuBomb

KG wrote:

どうした、リンク? 久しぶりで おどろいたか?
      What's up, Link? Surprised, after all that time?
      Hey, what's up, Link? Surprised to see me?

おまえには 長い日々が、この世界では 無かったも同然。まことに 不思議なことじゃて。
      A long time in this world is to you as if it didn't pass. Truly a mysterious thing!
      A long time in this world is almost nothing to you, is it? How mysterious!

ふたつの時代を 行き来する少年のことを、この私ですら 伝説だとばかり 思っとったよ。
      Even I thought that thing about a boy who flies between two epochs was merely a legend!
      Even I thought that the tales of a boy who could travel back and forth through time was merely a legend.

リンクよ、おまえは すっかり 勇者の風格を 身につけた。
      O Link, you have completely assumed the attitude of a hero.
      Link, you have fully matured as an adult.

この先 おまえの勇気に ハイラルのすべての民の未来が かかっておる。
      From now on, the future of all the people in Hyrule depends on your courage.
      From now on, the future of all the people in Hyrule is on your shoulders.

もう ワシの出る幕では ないのぉ。では 最後のアドバイスじゃ。
      I should keep out of your affairs by now. So, my last advice.
      Maybe it's not my time anymore. Here is my last advice.

この神殿に 巣くう二人の魔女、やつらを 倒すには その魔力を 逆に利用することじゃ。 ホホッ!
      Two witches haunt this temple. In order to destroy them, utilize their magic conversely. Hoo hoot!
      Two witches inhabit this temple. In order to destroy them, turn their own magic against them. Hoo hoot!

ワシは お前を 見守ってゆく。これまでも?これからもな? ホホ~ッ!
      I watch over you. Up to this point? and from here on still? Hoo hoot!
      I will continue to watch you... Hoo hoo hoo hoot!
      It’s from his final meeting at the spirit temple.
      Also case in point, can you imagine Rauru greeting you with ‘What’s up?’.
    • I've never personally found a connection between the two that said they were the exact same person, Related maybe, But not the same.

However reincarnation should be clarified in the that it's not the same as being reborn or switchin bodies. Zelda's Reincarnations of Hylia all have differing personalitys, no surprise there. So it's not entirely wrong to say Rauru's spirit had been reincarnated into KG. The only issue I find with it that if this were true, then How is Rauru still wondering around in the sacred Realm? I guess if Avatar Aang can do it so can he?

My headcannon is that KG was intended to become the new Light Sage just like all the other sages we meet in the game as a child, Ruto, Darunia, Etc.

But since Ganondorf never found the Light Temple there was no curse placed upon it and Rauru was able to survive. KG never needed to awaken as a replacement sage like everyone else in their respective temples.

It's worth noting that there were plans to put in a Light Temple but the Devs cut it. Most likely to save space or something.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• どうした can also be "what is the matter?"

Their concept art shows similarities in stature, age and demeanor, with a furrowed brow, sunken eyes, hook nose, large tapered feature beneath their face, imposing barrel chest, hunched shoulders, loosely resting arms, and the low angle shot that makes them more imposing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

• I agree that there isn't much in-game evidence for Kaepora Gaebora being Rauru, but I have one counterpoint to contribute. It's this quote:

"Even I thought that the tales of a boy who could travel back and forth through time was merely a legend."

Yes, it's weird for Rauru to not believe in time travel. But if it isn't weird, then the line doesn't really make sense. "Even I thought..." makes it sound as if Kaepora Gaebora has some special reason to believe the tales. To this point, he's just a helpful talking owl. Keep in mind, this game has talking frogs and scarecrows, so the fact that he's a talking owl isn't so unusual in itself. He does seem have some knowledge of the Hero of Time in particular, as he offers his help and advice when he can, but he says nothing up to that point to indicate that he should believe in time travel.

For Rauru, though, it makes sense. He was involved in the construction of the Temple of Time and is probably familiar with the time travel mechanism, but Rauru's role isn't dependent on the time travel kicking in, nor for that matter is most of the function of the Temple of Time. Rauru doesn't have to believe in time travel, but one would expect him to. Hence the "even I."
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Question! If Rauru is the owl, why didn't he tell Link that Ganondorf would never be able to actually get into the Sacred Realm, and give us TP from the get-go instead of the 2nd half of OoT?
    • Evran_Speer wrote:

I agree that there isn't much in-game evidence for Kaepora Gaebora being Rauru, but I have one counterpoint to contribute. It's this quote:

"Even I thought that the tales of a boy who could travel back and forth through time was merely a legend."

Yes, it's weird for Rauru to not believe in time travel. But if it isn't weird, then the line doesn't really make sense. "Even I thought..." makes it sound as if Kaepora Gaebora has some special reason to believe the tales. To this point, he's just a helpful talking owl. Keep in mind, this game has talking frogs and scarecrows, so the fact that he's a talking owl isn't so unusual in itself. He does seem have some knowledge of the Hero of Time in particular, as he offers his help and advice when he can, but he says nothing up to that point to indicate that he should believe in time travel.

For Rauru, though, it makes sense. He was involved in the construction of the Temple of Time and is probably familiar with the time travel mechanism, but Rauru's role isn't dependent on the time travel kicking in, nor for that matter is most of the function of the Temple of Time. Rauru doesn't have to believe in time travel, but one would expect him to. Hence the "even I."
      It's been long enough that I don't remember, but does Rauru ever show knowledge that Link can travel back in time? The sleep isn't time travel, and he's clearly knowledgeable about it, but the ability to go back isn't something he ever tells you about, is it?

Jedi Master Sagan wrote:

Question! If Rauru is the owl, why didn't he tell Link that Ganondorf would never be able to actually get into the Sacred Realm, and give us TP from the get-go instead of the 2nd half of OoT?
      Perhaps he didn't know, or he felt the conflict was inevitable and it would be better to get Link trained up to win rather than try to prevent it.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • TofuBomb wrote:

I'm really curious to know if the "light hearted" pun translates.
      ケポラ・ゲボラという怪鳥は、大昔の賢者のうまれかわりらしい

ケポラ・ゲポラという怪鳥は、すごく大きくて重そうだが性格はけっこう軽いらしい

Here are the texts in Japanese, now I need to translate them.

うまれかわり umarekawaru means "Rebirth" or "reincarnation".

I was hoping to see the word ぶんしん/ 分身 "Bushin", the "other body detached from a main one", which describe what Agahnim is to Ganon.
      That's how I see the relation between Rauru and Gaepora, Gaepora is an extension of Rauru and he might even have his own self.

However 軽 "Kei" Light(in the sense "not heavy" or "gentle" is used while talking about his personality. So, it's probably not a pun about Rauru being the Light Sage.

So, I would see KG to be an extension of Rauru with its own identity.
      Even if the Gossip Stones aren't really revelatrice of it.

It's not the first time an Owl was a part of someone else, the Owl in Link's Awakening was actually a part of the Spirit of the Wind Fish.

"As part of the Wind Fish's spirit, I am the guardian of his dream world"- Owl
    • TofuBomb wrote:

FWIW, this is how Google Translate interprets the Japanese sentence you mention:

:argh: Google Translate isn't even near to something accurate.

"Monster Bird" ?
      怪 "Kai" here, while it can be translated to "Monster" or "weird man" is used as an adjective, so here it should be translated to "mysterious".

And, it's no "replacement" neither, like I said, うまれかわり umarekawaru means "Rebirth" or "reincarnation".

I'm still an amateur but I do know that Google Translate is not to trust.
      I guess it's hard for it to translate Kana and Kanji simultaneously, and it usually mistakes Kanji with the Chinese Hanzi, from which they were mostly borrowed from.