Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Cadence of Hyrule announced! New Legend of Zelda X Crypt of the Necrodancer!
    • I don't like this, and that means you all are going to be hearing me complain about it for months.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I don't like using the Zelda name for gimmicky or off-genre titles.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

• Vulpes wrote:

I don't like this, and that means you all are going to be hearing me complain about it for months.
      And I wouldn't have it any other way. :v:

But seriously, I don't know what to think. Necrodancer is new territory for me and I don't know how it plays and what to expect. I usually don't buy indie-games and I might skip this one. But I am going to see how it will turn out. Only because they put in Zelda characters in a game doesn't make me want to get it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• You guys have clearly never played Crypt of the Necrodancer. It's stupid fun and unique as all hell. The strong emphasis on positioning fits well for Zelda I feel, just look how natural that Spin Attack looked.

But what I'm appalled about is the idea that this is somehow a bad thing. For the developers this is a dream come true, Nintendo never gives out their IP like this. The game looks good. It probably is good, given that it's just "Good game with Zelda stuff". Literally why would anyone be mad about that.
    • Cajbaj wrote:

But what I'm appalled about is the idea that this is somehow a bad thing. For the developers this is a dream come true, Nintendo never gives out their IP like this. The game looks good. It probably is good, given that it's just "Good game with Zelda stuff". Literally why would anyone be mad about that.
      Well I can only speak for myself, and all I can say right now is that I am very neutral to this game. Sure it looks cool and it will probably be a good game. However, I am not sure if this is a game for me, that's pretty much it. It is a good sign though that Nintendo seems to have got a closer relationship to indies, and that they are willing to lend out a huge franchise like Zelda to an indie-studio. I am in no way negative to this, especially since I didn't expect this at all to begin with. In fact, I much more prefer something like this, over something like Hyrule Warriors.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Cajbaj wrote:

I don't want a good game with Zelda stuff. I want a good Zelda game with Zelda stuff.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• Could be, but I suspect it's a Poe instead, especially with that lantern.

Anyway, I'm hype for this. Necrodancer is a lot of fun, Zelda has great music, and I can easily see the two of them combining really well.

For those who haven't played the original Necrodancer, picture a fairly simple rougelike (grid-based movement, enemies move when you move, randomly-generated levels, random equipment and items) with the twist that unlike a normal roguelike every turn is on a timer, based on the rhythm of the song. You can only move on the beat (trying to move off of it results in you losing your turn) which is also when enemies move. You automatically attack if there's an enemy in range of your equipped weapon in the direction you try to move, and you can choose to use items/spells as well.

Basically, picture a Mystery Dungeon or Shiren the Wanderer game where you have to attack/take a step/cast a spell/use an item every beat of the background music.

It's a lot of fun, and rewards learning enemy movement/attack patterns, allowing you to continually gain in skill so that having to start over when you die doesn't feel all that punishing.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• I like it even less now. I hate roguelikes.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vulpes ().

• It's the principle of the thing. Zelda games should not be roguelikes or hack and slashes or kart racers or multiplayer-based or anything else besides single-player action-adventure games with an emphasis on puzzles. It might be good business to prostitute the license to third parties to make games in other genres, but it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• I mean, it is a single-player (though probably has optional co-op) action-adventure game, it's just also a rhythm game and a roguelike.

But even if it wasn't, why isn't, say, Mario under the same restrictions? Most Mario games aren't platformers, after all.

If this was a game being made by Nintendo then I'd be more willing to concede the point, development resources that could, at least in theory, be spent on a "real" game might've been directed to this one. But that didn't happen here, so there's no possible harm to you. You're not losing out on a new game because of this, you're simply being given another option that you can ignore if you so wish.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!