Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Rushed Theory About the Forgotten Temple
    • According to page 312 of Making a Champion, the Forgotten Temple was a Hall of record of sorts that contained the collected history of the Heroes who helped the royal family defeat Ganon countless times.

I did a lot of digging around to see if I could find anything that resembled a place for record keeping but couldn't find anything. But then it dawned on me.

Zelda and her research team excavated the Temple. It's most likely where they found the Slate.

So it's barren emptiness is because of the removal of its records and transportation to the Hyrule Castle Library and Research Tower (As well as some of the guardian tech that may have been stored here). This temple is obviously how they learned of the previous Heroe's so whomever built and used the Temple to collect those stories should be the one we need to look to when determining how they learned about the other timelines.

That being said, there appeared to be little to no Sheikah technology written along the walls and the very design of the walls does not resemble Sheikah aesthetic at all (No constellations like in the shrines etc.). So I don't believe it was them. Or at least not originally. But clearly they played a role in the record keeping after the temple was built.

Another thing to note are the strange circles along the ceilings. To me they resemble removed columns (Likely in an attempt from Zelda's research team to clean the place out and make room to safely remove larger objects.). This heavily reminds me of the Temples in Adventure of Link which were filled with large columns and massive hallways on multiple levels. I wonder if the Forgotten Temple is the last remaining temple built from this era. It could even be the same Temple the sleeping Zelda slumbered in, But I haven't checked geo locations to confirm that be honest and your guess at whatever temple it is, is as good as mine.

Anyway I feel like the Forgotten Temple needs to be re evaluated is all I'm really saying.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.
    • I haven't actually played BotW since finishing the Champion's Ballad shortly after that came out and I have no plans to revisit it, so my memory is faulty, but isn't the Temple filled with half-decayed Guardians with a Shrine underneath it? Why would this be the case if the Temple was meant to be a glorified library?

I do like the idea that it's one of the TAoL temples, though, especially given that the Tunic of the Wild set is found here once all the main Shrines are cleared. But considering the possibility that the legitimate Statue of the Goddess is hypothetically found here (if its size is any indication), it could just as easily have specifically been built to rehouse the Statue, since it was presumably removed from the Sealed Temple at some point.
    • I like the ideas, but then I went check who said that and ...

I don't know if Manabu Takehara is to be trusted as a canon source, it's just the lead Artist and it's also his first Zelda game working on.
      I've talk about him on the headcanon Thread, he pretends that the Deku Tree of BOTW have no relations with OOT one and would be born from a cherry Tree growing near the Master Sword.
      It's like him making his own Headcanons.

But he does point out that the building is in SS style, meaning it's probably pre-SS and that's why it's old and forgotten.

I hardly can consider it to be a library or that the Hylians ever entering it at any points, since it's entrance was broken and blocked by a stone wall, if I recall.
      The Sheikah Slate makes more sense to be from the Shrine of Resurrection where it have a pedestal of its own.

I've theorized month agos it was maybe here that the third Gate of Time was hidden and this place was used as a hangar for the construction of the Divine Beasts and Guardians.

And so, a third Temple of Time and the origin place of the Sheikah Monks.

The statue is too small to be the Goddess Statue from the Isle of the Goddess.
    • Setras wrote:

but isn't the Temple filled with half-decayed Guardians with a Shrine underneath it? Why would this be the case if the Temple was meant to be a glorified library?
      As far as I'm aware the Guardians were placed there later and weren't part of the original construct. If it is indeed from a skyward sword era (As the design is said to incorporate) then it only further cements this idea since the Guardians and Sheikah tech did not appear until much later. Not only that but if you look at how they are mounted, they look like they were just placed on whatever available flat surfaces platform was there at the time as opposed to being placed on a specific stand specially built for them unlike what is seen in places such as Hyrule Castle. The same could be said about the Shrine in this regard.

Nonoctoro wrote:

I don't know if Manabu Takehara is to be trusted as a canon source, it's just the lead Artist and it's also his first Zelda game working on.
      I've talk about him on the headcanon Thread, he pretends that the Deku Tree of BOTW have no relations with OOT one and would be born from a cherry Tree growing near the Master Sword.
      It's like him making his own Headcanons.

The difference would be that he stated he himself wanted a cherry tree in the game and worked it in. There is no mention that the forgotten temple was his idea or if he was just working with the notes that were provided to him. In fact he even stated the entire dev team called the place the Valley of the Royal Family because it was intended to have connections to them from the beginning.

Nonoctoro wrote:

I hardly can consider it to be a library or that the Hylians ever entering it at any points, since it's entrance was broken and blocked by a stone wall, if I recall.

It's really hard to say since it has been abandoned for so long, Natural land movements, recent excavations, and even the Calamity itself is said to be a factor in it's decayed state. I'm under the impression that the front entrance cave in occurred during the original calamity Ganon battle 10,000 years before.

Nonoctoro wrote:

The Sheikah Slate makes more sense to be from the Shrine of Resurrection where it have a pedestal of its own.

Nonoctoro wrote:

The statue is too small to be the Goddess Statue from the Isle of the Goddess.

I can agree with you on both of these points.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So looking further into it I find even more similarities between the Temples in AOL and the Forgotten Temple. Please excuse my hard to see photos. They were pics taken with my phone of the switch screen.

Let's start with the possible Location for the Temple.

The closest one I could find appears to be Midoro Palace.

The location is to the west in an area surrounded by a mountainous region. A region that after some plate shifting could easily house a canyon.

To the north east we find the Northern Palace which is a patch of land mysteriously surrounded by a body of water. An island away from the ocean. This reminds me of the Lost woods which is also known as the great Hyrule Forest Travelling the lost woods and we can find ancient structures there as well. I speculate that as the Great Deku tree grew on the Island, it's roots expanded the land and consumed the water around it giving it the more land and less water shape we now see in Botw.

One may think that they don't align perfectly and that's okay. Land masses are allowed to shift over time. One may also point to the perpetually dark forest Typhlo Ruins. I'm fine with either one of these being a possible candidate for a former northern palace as they both express that there are ancient structures abandoned there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now let's look at the outside of the temple.

Here you can see there are at least two visible entrances. The upper entrance being blocked off by fallen rubble and the central entrance looking like a forced way in. Unfortunately the lowest level of the temple visible cannot be seen from where I am standing. But it must be noted that the structure show no indication there is a third lower level entrance, Just a flat wall.

Across the other way I notice some pillars of varying levels. I'm in fact standing on a lower level pillar. The design and build appear to be the same types found within the temple itself. Typically the front entrance to a temple such as this would appear to be a little more decorated. Even a heavily guarded one would have ornaments representing the importance of the Temples presence. These pillar don't really have much flair.

This image appears to showcase that the entrance into the temple protrudes further out that the lower level I am standing on. It's a flat outward platform with no incline. So I don't believe they would be a stair case.

To further this interesting observation I noted the unnatural looking flat surfaces on the nearby rocks sitting level with one of the pillars surfaces.
      Images
      • 20190315_165342.jpg

490.56 kB, 1,777×1,000, viewed 11 times

The post was edited 3 times, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• Now we go inside..

The first thing I see is a knocked over pillar. Oddly, the pillar looks nothing like any of the other pillars still standing. It just seems out of place. I think the suggestion though is that when it fell, It caused damage to the bridge.

Speaking of the bridge I find it odd that it literally leads nowhere on either side. Just a dead end wall, How was anyone supposed to get up here? What was the bridges original function? There are no stairs or ladders leading up to it either.

This is an interesting wall laying right under the bridge. Note also that these pillars are of the same design as the ones from outside. These pillars tend to extend all the way to the roof in some cases. Given that there main use is to hold up other surfaces I feel as if the ones outside were intended for the same purpose.

A little further inward I came across this. It appears as if the place had undergone renovations.
      This was no doubt either in an attempt to restore the ancient temple or to reinforce the decaying walls. Note the difference in masonry here. Smaller bricks layer the inner parts and are covered by much larger stones later. Suggestion two different builders and skill levels. Likely from different time periods.

These pillars are just before statue and shrine at the inner most part of the observable Temple.
      These pillars appear to not only be of a different design then the rest of the temple but also much older. Their aesthetic suggests this was once the front entrance to the temple in my opinion.

familiar side view of these pillars and the ancient door way.

Could this be the original entrance to Midoro Palace? And the shrine now sits where the palace once had lowering platforms? keep in mind that along the way to this area there are lower levels suggesting the temple goes much deeper under ground.

When we look beyond the statue we can see there is yet another entry way similar to the ones seen on the outside of the temple.

There are probably areas to this temple yet to be uncovered.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• Lastly I wanted to check out the roof of the temple.
      The area looks too clean and undamaged to be something so ancient and exposed to the elements. Especially when compared to the inside of the Temple. There's no doubt that this area was once covered completely by rock and dirt and it may not have been until Zelda's research team excavated the site that it was finally dug back up.

Remembering how those pillars appear to not only expand all the way to the top of this, but also further out then the entrance. Their purpose seemingly being to hold up solid structures such as bridges and ceilings I have this as my hypothesis on the matter..

The Temple was built as the Midoro palace sometime in the ancient past and at some point was visited by Link in order to place a magic crystal in its stone chamber thingy.. After this, The royal family agreed to re-purpose the palace into a temple of worship and placed the Goddess Statue at the entrance to effectively seal it off (In AOL the palace's Link clears crumble and are inaccessible so perhaps that's why they just focused on the entrance?). Placing a new roof over the entrance in the style reminiscent of the Hylians of ancient times. (Granting the Temple its SS feel and look).
      This, in a sense became a museum of sorts in which the Hero's of old had their adventures recorded, Not through books or scrolls, But through the Hero's equipment (Relics) left on display for all to see.

As more and more Hero's came to light over the years, Further expansions were in the process of being made to house all the new influx of relics and equipment. During a period of time shortly before the first Calamity these expansions were abandoned as treasure looters began stealing the relics and artifacts from the Temple. The Sheikah guardians were put into place to help guard the exhibit but when the Calamity struck the Temple was caught in the crossfire and a collapse buried the entrance. Forcing the Royal Family to abandon the Temple indefinitely.
      There may have been the intention to eventually restore the Temple but as time slipped away and the trouble with exiling the Sheikah as well as other more pressing matters caused the later generations to completely forget about the Temple until a Prophecy convinced the King to find the Divine Beasts and prepare for the Calamity's return.

Zelda and her Research team managed to unearth and clear out a great deal of the abandoned Temple's roof as they searched for the entrance and once they were able to get inside they could excavate what remained of the relics and learned of their forgotten past in what is now called the Era of Myth.

Given that the Tunic of the Wild still called the Temple its home, It's likely other past Hero's gear (Or their replica's) may still be buried beneath the remaining areas of the temple.

------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR;
      The Forgotten Temple was once Midoro palace before becoming a museum that held all the previous Link's collection of equipment and relics but was subsequently buried during the great Calamity and forgotten about.

P.S.

The ceiling to the temple is just a flipped version of the roof. I just consider this to be lazy designing by the dev team.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• MORPHRELINK wrote:

To the north east we find the Northern Palace which is a patch of land mysteriously surrounded by a body of water. An island away from the ocean. This reminds me of the Lost woods which is also known as the great Hyrule Forest Travelling the lost woods and we can find ancient structures there as well. I speculate that as the Great Deku tree grew on the Island, it's roots expanded the land and consumed the water around it giving it the more land and less water shape we now see in Botw.

The problem I would have with that is the fact that AOL map can't be BOTW map as the Northen region of AOL is North to the Death Mountain and the location of LOZ I, which is the Hyrule we all know that ALTTP established.

Also the Palaces of AOL were part of a set in which the Great Palace was the main place, when it completed its fonction, the Palace disappeared.
    • Nonoctoro wrote:

The problem I would have with that is the fact that AOL map can't be BOTW map as the Northen region of AOL is North to the Death Mountain and the location of LOZ I, which is the Hyrule we all know that ALTTP established.
      I understand, but I think that just falls back on which geographical theory you choose to believe as we haven't had an official statement by Nintendo themselves on the matter. I know some psuedo official sources like HE and HH suggest this. But that's about as close as it gets and other theorists seem to have found contradictions with this as well.

Like for instance, I don't believe personally believe spectacle rock and death mountain are in the same locations. But rather mis-interpreted to be in the same location because they share similar looking land marks.

Nonoctoro wrote:

Also the Palaces of AOL were part of a set in which the Great Palace was the main place, when it completed its fonction, the Palace disappeared.

I'm aware of this and my theory postulates that the Forgotten Temple was built on the demolished remains of Midoro Palace as a sort of "Monument" to the events that took place there. Similar to New York placing a monument at the base of the wreckage from the WTC towers.
    • I don't have any real evidence for it, but I've always headcannon'd the Forgotten Temple as an enormous kiln. A kiln this size, of course, being necessary to fire the DB. It's a helluva strange building, like absolutely nothing else in Hyrule. I tried comparing the temple to kilns, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough. It does seem to have multiple chambers like some kilns, and being built into the ground is advantageous. I suppose to me it's the only thing that reasonably /could/ be the kiln, so kiln it is.
    • Velivolo wrote:

I don't have any real evidence for it, but I've always headcannon'd the Forgotten Temple as an enormous kiln. A kiln this size, of course, being necessary to fire the DB. It's a helluva strange building, like absolutely nothing else in Hyrule. I tried comparing the temple to kilns, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough. It does seem to have multiple chambers like some kilns, and being built into the ground is advantageous. I suppose to me it's the only thing that reasonably /could/ be the kiln, so kiln it is.
      I don't mean to shut down this kiln theory. I actually like it when people think outside the box and not just rehash everyone else's theories.

What I do know about kilns is that they are typically built in layers, Fire being at the very bottom, Then the chamber which the material gets heated inside. They're basically giant ovens specifically to melt Rock or other hard materials. There's no stain of black soot residue on the walls or cracks along the housing to suggest it ever had anything more than some candles burning inside for light. It's just too clean.

Also, As stated before, the Temple is closely related to Skyward Sword era architecture and shows no design build hailing from a Sheikah source. (Shy of the Guardians which were most likely placed their much later.)

Lastly, Creating a Champion has already stated the Temple was once used by the royal family to keep record of Link and Zelda's clashes with Ganon throughout history.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MORPHRELINK ().

• I was a ceramics major, thanks. Was looking more to match the Forgotten Temple to a particular style of kiln, perhaps. I looked at a few models that are built into hills (obvious similarities), but as I said, no clear match.

The insides of kilns can be very clean indeed, especially when they're electric. Even in a dirty wood kiln, much of the ash and material ends up on the pottery itself.

The kiln wouldn't be made out of Sheikah tech, because it would be used for /making/ the tech. Kilns are made of firebrick, not ceramic.

MORPHRELINK wrote:

Lastly, Creating a Champion has already stated the Temple was once used by the royal family to keep record of Link and Zelda's clashes with Ganon throughout history.
      Noctorno questioned that notion, and I'd like to do so as well. It makes no sense as a library.
    • Velivolo wrote:

I was a ceramics major, thanks. Was looking more to match the Forgotten Temple to a particular style of kiln, perhaps. I looked at a few models that are built into hills (obvious similarities), but as I said, no clear match.

The insides of kilns can be very clean indeed, especially when they're electric. Even in a dirty wood kiln, much of the ash and material ends up on the pottery itself.

The kiln wouldn't be made out of Sheikah tech, because it would be used for /making/ the tech. Kilns are made of firebrick, not ceramic.
      Even in light of this, why would there be a need for such a large Kiln?
      Also, We know Ancient Sheikah tech required a blue flame source to create it's equipment. The only ancient furnace shown to exist is in Akkala and that has clear architecture resembling sheikah tech.

I see nothing like this in the Forgotten Temple.

Velivolo wrote:

Noctorno questioned that notion, and I'd like to do so as well. It makes no sense as a library.

It should be noted that record keeping doesn't always = Library.

My theory states it was a monument that housed relics and information on those relics. Not books. So there would be no need to be looking for old book shelves.
      There are areas and platforms that could easily house boxes and crates much like a storage facility or warehouse.

In your defense I will state this thought, IF one were to go with the kiln theory, The air pockets coming from under the temple would be a good place to start looking.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MORPHRELINK ().