Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    Super Mario Maker 2 Discussion
    • With Super Mario Maker 2 being announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct (slopes!), I've been wanting to talk about it. It looks really fun, and makes the original look like a beta version.

So what are some things you would like to see that haven't already been shown?

I'd like to see a wider music variety for each style, especially the 3D World style. There are so many good songs in the games that don't come with a level theme, that should be available. I'd also like to see more style exclusive power ups, such as the ice flower for NSMBU, the Hammer suit for SMB3, and the double cherries or boomerang flower for SM3DW.

I know a lot of people want the Super Mario Bros. 2 style, but I would rather have a NSMB DS style. That game deserves some attention.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • More elements from Super Mario World would be very welcome, such as pick-up blocks, disco shells, boo blocks, the triangle blocks that let you run up walls, moving gaps on ghost house floors... to name a few. I really hope they allow for much more vertical space than before and add more variation in both music and aesthetics. So far we've seen a couple new themes which is already very promising.

I'm most excited about the on/off switch blocks because their absence in the original has been holding back some of my ideas. They have immense puzzle potential and they fit very well in the type of levels that I'm most comfortable making. I often think about ideas for the snake blocks too, inspired by what I've seen people in the SMW romhack community do with them. Slopes are also cool and I'm hoping some enemies will perhaps slide them too or show some other kind of unique behavior on slopes.

Super Mario Maker is both my favorite Wii U game and my favorite 2015 game, with a little more than 400 hours of playing time. This sequel will be a big deal to me, especially because so far everything is hinting at an even better game. I'd like to watch a Super Mario Maker 2 Nintendo Direct or two while I'm waiting to play it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traeh ().

• I never got around to finishing Super Mario World, but I need to. It was a really good game. All those elements would be really cool, especially the run-on-walls-triangle. I'd really like to see the climbable grates, those would be really cool.

On/off switches/blocks have so much puzzle potential. With enough work, a beat block system may be able to be made. I hope we can make lots of snake blocks in a level, those will be fun. I feel like most enemies should act normal on slopes, because they don't do much in normal Mario games, but pirahna plants and nippers could be angled.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

• I really do like the idea behind Mario Maker and I actually am considering getting it. The thing that worries me is that most levels will be trash/stupidly hard/bad design, etc. I have seen too much of that from the original on the Wii U. It's fine when I just watch other people playing it, but a different story if it is I myself. Are the "easy-levels" a safe-haven from that nonsense?

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Bomb Arrow wrote:

Any word on whether or not they're implementing anything like the old Mario Paint music creator? It would be nice to make one's own custom music for levels.
      That would be really cool. I really hope there is something like that.

MVS wrote:

I really do like the idea behind Mario Maker and I actually am considering getting it. The thing that worries me is that most levels will be trash/stupidly hard/bad design, etc. I have seen too much of that from the original on the Wii U. It's fine when I just watch other people playing it, but a different story if it is I myself. Are the "easy-levels" a safe-haven from that nonsense?

There were a ton of troll levels, but I think it's worth it to find a really good level. Besides, making your own levels is more fun than playing other's levels (at least in my opinion.) They could implement search tags or something to fix that.

• I think it’s a nice idea that they force players to beat their own levels before being able to upload them. That already makes it leagues better than the wild wild west of Mario Romhacks from yesteryear where no such restriction existed.

I’ll be honest, I’m only a little excited for Mario Maker 2 because as a primarily social focused game I’d have to sell my soul to Nintendo Switch (shitty) Online in order to actually play it.
    • They haven't confirmed that you'll need online to play other's levels, but it is almost certain. There's still that 0.000001% chance that you won't though.

The online is worth it to me just because of Mario Maker though. The first was an amazing game, and this game looks 3 times better. I think the online subscription is stupid though. I'd much rather prefer virtual console, and a free online. There is pretty much no difference between this online and the Wii U online other than the NES games.

• The Moon of Termina wrote:

They haven't confirmed that you'll need online to play other's levels, but it is almost certain. There's still that 0.000001% chance that you won't though.

The online is worth it to me just because of Mario Maker though. The first was an amazing game, and this game looks 3 times better. I think the online subscription is stupid though. I'd much rather prefer virtual console, and a free online. There is pretty much no difference between this online and the Wii U online other than the NES games.
      Giving them money for that is such a violation of my personal ethical principles it's literally killing me to even contemplate it, but since they got rid of Miiverse, if they at least bothered to replace it with something even better, then MAYBE it'll be worth the simulation of flushing that money down the toilet, but if they haven't even done that minimum amount of work on this online access doohickey? Forget it. Selling us a key to a door that leads to nothing special is theft.

Let us give a rating that's like a 10/10 scale instead of giving them a star or not giving them a star for their level. Let us leave a detailed review and give better feedback to levels than a short sentence or two. Let us post a short video clip of how to solve one of the more difficult portions of the levels if there's a secret trick to it. I know it'll cost them more to do that but it'll entice more people to actually buy into their service so it'll balance out and be better for them in the long run to invest in it NOW.

But seriously, at this point they have no excuse to not include every single powerup in the entire series. I want Tanuki, Hammer Bro, and Frog Mario from SMB3, I want Penguin, Shell, Ice and Gold Mario from NSMB series, and I want things like the deadly poison mushroom from Lost Levels (I know some of those are probably already in the first one but I didn't play it enough to get access to them). And I want levels with the poison swamp water from NSMB Wii/U, or levels where you're on top of a giant marching Wiggler.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bomb Arrow ().

• I agree with that. The fact that you have to pay for online when it is pretty much the exact same as it was when it was free is pretty stupid, and totally a waste of money. I've wasted money on worse, though...

• The Moon of Termina wrote:

I agree with that. The fact that you have to pay for online when it is pretty much the exact same as it was when it was free is pretty stupid, and totally a waste of money. I've wasted money on worse, though...
      Make it worth my dime, is all I'm saying. But more than anything I just want them to make the same games available on the Wii U Virtual Console also available on the Switch. So until then, they have to make their individual games worth it, or better yet, make it so anyone with a subscription gets some kind of voting power over the decisions at Nintendo so we have more of a voice.