Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Welcome to the Second Age - General Tolkien Thread
    • Hey everyone! Not sure how many people are even remotely interested in this, but here it is. Realm's Tolkien appreciation / discussion thread. Specifically in light of the new novel coming this summer, (The Fall of Gondolin, edited by Christopher Tolkien) I thought it would be fun to have a Tolkien thread (Mods delete this if there's already one). I'm not one for introductions, really, so I'll just leave it to you if you're interested. I'll get the conversation going.

Are you excited for the Fall of Gondolin? Why or why not? Any hopes / predictions?
    • It is, as a matter of fact, a prequel. It was originally included in the Book of Lost Tales (and its more final version, the Silmarillion) and follows the elves and the founding of the city of Gondolin. If uou want a good introduction to the world though, I'd go with the Silmarillion and/or Book of Lost Tales. Both are collections of shorter stories. Also, though I haven't yet finidhed it, Beren and Luthien is also quite good. No matter what you read though, lots of references made to past events or other places can be off-putting, but it gets easier.

The post was edited 1 time, last by RealmWings ().

• I'm a big Tolkien geek :p

I wouldn't recommend reading Silmarillion and such before the Lord of the Rings, really. It's rather heavy to read and unless you're very interested, you're not likely to finish it. The Lord of the Rings, however, I would certainly recommend reading. Though you'll probably find it a slower read than most modern fantasy.

Like @Cody, I'll be getting the Fall of Gondolin, but probably not on the release day.
    • I'm a huge fan of The Hobbit (the original book, not the stretched out movies that couldn't even get Smaug's leg count right) and the LOTR trilogy, but I just can't get into the books that read more like encyclopedias than proper narratives. I know that's because the Silmarillion et. al. aren't proper narratives, they're more like Tolkien's world-building notes, but meh. I guess to the really, really big fans, they're better than nothing.

I'm not planning on reading the new book, just as my copy of Children of Hurin is collecting dust on my shelf. But I hope that those who do read it like it.

I'll just reread the classic trilogy instead.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • Violetlight wrote:

I'm a huge fan of The Hobbit (the original book, not the stretched out movies that couldn't even get Smaug's leg count right) and the LOTR trilogy, but I just can't get into the books that read more like encyclopedias than proper narratives. I know that's because the Silmarillion et. al. aren't proper narratives, they're more like Tolkien's world-building notes, but meh. I guess to the really, really big fans, they're better than nothing.

I'm not planning on reading the new book, just as my copy of Children of Hurin is collecting dust on my shelf. But I hope that those who do read it like it.

I'll just reread the classic trilogy instead.
      Wasn't Children of Hurin written by, for the most part, Christopher Tolkien? One of my best friends, a huge Tolkien fan (of the JRR variety) couldn't really finish that book either. I think when you're used to his father's writing... those are hard shoes to fill.

I didn't finish the Silmarillion, but I was fascinated by the lore.
    • CHildren of Hurin was mostly a retelling of stories that were already published in The Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales. My understanding is that the Fall of Gondolin is the same.

I love the Silmarillion. My favorite of Tolkien's books. I find the actual Lord of the Rings trilogy punishingly dry, but give me the Silmarillion and I'll devour that thing in a sitting. I understand why most don't love it though, it's written like mythology. Doesn't exactly have normal story arcs or even a "plot" in any traditional sense.
    • Don't know why I haven't posted in here before...

Big LOTR fan here, both the books and the movies, but unfortunately I can't say the same for The Hobbit. I don't even know why I don't like The Hobbit that much, since I found it to be quite 'charming' (of course here I am referring to the book only, didn't find the movies charming or good at all), but something about it just put me off for some reason.

I've been wanting to read Silmarillion, so I should probably get to that soon. Haven't heard about The Fall of Gondolin until this thread, but I might give it a look eventually.

(Also, my favorite character is Gandalf, if anyone's wondering...)
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /
    • @Jimin
      Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the Hobbit movies either. But they led to Billy Boyd making that magnificent ending song and it made it all worth it for me :p

Gandalf for president. If I were to pick one character, it would probably be Aragorn. He's been my fictional role model for a large part of my life :p
      I more or less love all of them, though. Sam <3

May your deeds live on in song

The post was edited 1 time, last by Moriquendi ().

• I actually quite enjoyed the Animated Hobbit movie by Franklin and Bass, the same studio who made Flight of Dragons and the Last Unicorn. (Some of their animators would later join Studio Ghibli). It's not perfect, but I still like it better then the live action movies, mostly because it isn't so stretched out. No useless love triangles or needlessly "hot" dwarves needed here! Plus, they get Smaug right.

Sorry, but it's a big thing for me. Dragons have four legs, two wings. Wyverns have two legs, two wings. So many so-called CG dragons have Wyvern-style limbs, and frankly, it's just because of lazy animators who won't make the effort to figure out how six limbs would work.

For that reason, this is the greatest CG dragon, IMO. Not Smaug:

WoW Cataclysm Intro

If Blizzard can do it right, there's no excuse for anyone else, IMO.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • Tolkien fan present! 10 years ago I was even more of a Tolkien fan than a Zelda fan.
      When I made my IMDb account, I named it after Zelda and Tolkien, tlotr_tloz. (Oh and my review of Desolation of Smaug became the second best user review: imdb.com/title/tt1170358/reviews?ref_=tt_urv .)

My love for fantasy started with the game Warcraft II. I then heard that orcs, trolls etc. were mostly based on Tolkien's stories.
      So I read TH and TlotR when I was 16. In English, which was a nice feat for a Dutch kid. A few years later I read The Silmarillion. Then the LotR movies came out. I liked them for what they are, but I'm not one of those guys who watches them every year.
      I read Unfinished Tales, which started to get a bit boring for me.

I then read The Children of Húrin and I think it's one of the best Tolkien books! It reads a lot faster than TLotR and TS. I rather liked it.

A few years ago I read TH again, which is a great book. Then TLotR but oh boy... I couldn't get through the book. It was the third time I read it, I remembered loving it the first two times. But now I wasn't so sure if I even liked it.

Honestly I can't remember much about Gondolin. Something with Fingolfin and a Balrog. And a traitor, beacuse it used to be hidden? But if the book is anything like The Children of Húrin, I'll probably really like it.

(Edit: I know there used to be a big Tolkien thread.)
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Big fan of the LOTR film trilogy! In fact, they are my favourite films of all time. For me, Fellowship is my favourite, closely followed by ROTK, both 10/10 in my books. TTT is right behind them. I guess the extended version with the super slow Ent scenes drags it down.
      I've been wanting to read the books for a long time, but ~1200 pages of old school fantasy is...oof, idk. Maybe someday.

I also have the 1978 LOTR animated film. It's interesting to see a different take to LOTR, and the animation is neat. Annoyingly the film ends somewhere before the events of ROTK, so it's incomplete.

I read TH as a kid, a good book. The films however...ouch. Probably the most hyped I've been for a bunch of films, but man what a letdown. Though I'd say the Desolation of Smaug is a (very?) good film. But Battle of the Five Armies is just bad, and An Unexpected Journey is a pretty mediocre fantasy film imo.
      Clearly things went wrong with TH films.

And I stumbled upon this YouTube analysis/docu series on TH recently. It's fantastic, seriously. Very interesting, and a better watch than some of TH films to be quite honest.
    • Canyarion wrote:

My love for fantasy started with the game Warcraft II. I then heard that orcs, trolls etc. were mostly based on Tolkien's stories.So I read TH and TlotR when I was 16. In English, which was a nice feat for a Dutch kid. A few years later I read The Silmarillion. Then the LotR movies came out. I liked them for what they are, but I'm not one of those guys who watches them every year.
      I read Unfinished Tales, which started to get a bit boring for me.
      I am. More or less :p

We probably had somewhat the same experience with it being a feat to be reading English books. My English reading career started when Harry Potter books was available in English, but not in Norwegian *laughs*
      I saw the Fellowship of the Ring in the cinema with my brother and his friends first and was mesmerized. I devoured the books shortly after. First in Norwegian, later in English.

john_marston wrote:

Big fan of the LOTR film trilogy! In fact, they are my favourite films of all time. For me, Fellowship is my favourite, closely followed by ROTK, both 10/10 in my books. TTT is right behind them. I guess the extended version with the super slow Ent scenes drags it down.
      I've been wanting to read the books for a long time, but ~1200 pages of old school fantasy is...oof, idk. Maybe someday.

I also have the 1978 LOTR animated film. It's interesting to see a different take to LOTR, and the animation is neat. Annoyingly the film ends somewhere before the events of ROTK, so it's incomplete.

I read TH as a kid, a good book. The films however...ouch. Probably the most hyped I've been for a bunch of films, but man what a letdown. Though I'd say the Desolation of Smaug is a (very?) good film. But Battle of the Five Armies is just bad, and An Unexpected Journey is a pretty mediocre fantasy film imo.
      Clearly things went wrong with TH films.

And I stumbled upon this YouTube analysis/docu series on TH recently. It's fantastic, seriously. Very interesting, and a better watch than some of TH films to be quite honest.

The Fellowship of the Rings is my favourite part as well^^ I think it's not only that it's a great movie, but also what it meant to me. It started the whole Tolkien fandom that has meant more to me than pretty much anything else. I've made a lot of friends through it and most notably my wife. It's not without reason that we had a Lord of the Rings themed wedding :p (The classy kind, I must add)

Ooh, I actually have never gotten around to seeing the animated movie! Perhaps I should.
      Speaking of other movies, there are two fan-made movies that are rather good! The Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope. They're well worth seeing if you're interested. Background information of Aragorn and his family.

I just finished watching the videos you linked to. It was a bit fun with the three out of two-part. It was interesting to see!

May your deeds live on in song

The post was edited 1 time, last by Moriquendi ().

• What about that Amazon series about Aragorn? Is anyone excited about that? It sounds like they're trying to milk the franchise... and I don't see too much potential.
      But hey, the Tolkien Estate doesn't want to sell the movie rights to The Silmarillion etc.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Now that it's pretty much confirmed that they're starting with a young Aragorn season, I feel like this show will focus on those conflicts in the North during the earliest stages of the Third Age. As much as it hurts that we likely won't see anything related to the Silmarillion for the time being, there's still a lot of potential behind the wars with Angmar, seeing the Dunedain, some connections to Numenoreans and Black Numenoreans, etc. I'm staying optimistic that it will be worthwhile.

As this renaissance of fantasy, sci-fi, superhero, and other 'geeky' genres continues in full force, it's obvious that Warner Bros. wants to capitalize with what is, perhaps, their more esteemed property. They'd leave a lot of money on the table by ignoring Middle-earth while our culture is consuming so much entertainment. I, for one, want to see Middle-earth get its turn in the spotlight (I don't think The Hobbit trilogy did it justice) and earn mainstream attention, again, so I hope this show is a success.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • I was hoping someone else would post in here so I wouldn't have to double post, but, away we go!

lord-of-shadow wrote:

CHildren of Hurin was mostly a retelling of stories that were already published in The Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales. My understanding is that the Fall of Gondolin is the same.

I love the Silmarillion. My favorite of Tolkien's books. I find the actual Lord of the Rings trilogy punishingly dry, but give me the Silmarillion and I'll devour that thing in a sitting. I understand why most don't love it though, it's written like mythology. Doesn't exactly have normal story arcs or even a "plot" in any traditional sense.
      While the language in Children of Hurin was more dramatic than usual, almost lyrical, it was still a prose novel. Fall of Gondolin, at least at first glance, appears to be following the format of Beren and Luthien, where it's more of a written documentary, including the various versions of the eponymous story with new commentary from Christopher Tolkien. However, as some fans online have pointed out, the Fall of Gondolin is expected to be over 300 pages when printed, and the account from The Silmarillion is barely half of that. This has led to speculation that we'll actually get a prose telling of the story, or, perhaps more likely, there will be a prose version of Earendil's story, which would be awesome.

As for the bolded part of your post, I find it rather refreshing to see someone with that opinion. While mine isn't nearly as negative as yours, I've always said that The Lord of the Rings books feel like more of an educational read than an entertaining one. The narrative, itself, is among the greatest in all of fiction, but I believe the written form of it is not the definitive, best iteration of it. The movies aren't, either, so I feel as though the books and the movies both have their own unique positives and negatives when telling the story. The books can definitely be dry at times, as you said; my biggest gripe are those massive sections of on the nose exposition where a character recites an event word for word as if they were the narrator, completely robbing the prose of an exciting sequence.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free