Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Concept for a unique type of Haunted-house themed dungeon.
    • A Haunted Mansion dungeon similar to the forest temple from OOT, but where Link doesn't do the usual hack n' slash and puzzle solving, but rather he is put in a situation where he is definitely helpless, the evil he should be slaying is coming after him, and has to survive the ordeal and finish the quest, alive.

You have to go inside the Mansion at night or at a specific time at night in order to enter the dungeon. entering the mansion in the day will lead Link into the mundane interior of a deserted and abandoned Mansion. The daytime interior isn't run down but mostly dusty dirty, and beginning to form cobwebs in some places since the place has been abandoned for a couple of years and has been mostly sealed. The exterior of the mansion also mostly intact. the damage mostly coming from vandalism by teenagers from the town, neglected and overgrown gardens or hedges, and accumulated leaves or dirt on the roof.

At night, the dungeon's layout vastly differs from the interior of the manor as visited in the daytime as the supernatural forces of the house distorted and warped reality inside the house causing the interior layout to change as well as causing the interior of the Mansion to appear a lot more dilapidated and decayed.

Once inside the dungeon, the front door vanishes, leaving link Trapped inside. Once inside, It's not Hack and slash or solving puzzles like your usual dungeon, it's pure survival horror as the only enemy in this dungeon i the Boss itself. Link's goal in this dungeon is to seek out the four objects giving the Demon it's power and destroy them, weakening the Demon in the process until it is vulnerable to link's sword attacks.

The Dungeon's interior is as dark as the Typhlo ruins dungeon or Vah Rudania in BOTW. The only light source that link has being a lantern. No background music plays except for some creepy sounds coming from the Demon. The Demon will be stalking the many corridors and rooms of the dungeon a noise marking that his presence is near. In that situation, link will have to utilize hiding places such as closets in order to evade the Demon. If no hiding spaces are available, he will have to rely on a protection talisman (a small icon of the Goddess Hylia) given to him at the start of the Quest, however, the talisman has a recharge time, so it can only be used in more frantic situations. When used, the icon glows and provides light in the dark brighter than the lantern.

A total of four safe rooms will be scattered across the dungeon, these rooms being the only fully lit rooms and being marked with a glowing image of the triforce on either the Floor or the Door(s). The demon cannot get you in these rooms.

Link will sometimes experience hallucinations and mysterious sounds in the dungeon sometimes seeing figures in the darkness, hearing whispering or even faint inhuman screaming in the distance as well as other unsettling phenomena, sounds and illusions. No jumpscares, as the whole intent of this dungeon is to build an atmosphere of tension and dread as well as the sense of urgency to be always on the move.

The quest items will be marked by a red aura and also emit a light source, albeit more fainter. When you do get the quest item, you have to return to the foyer and destroy the items by throwing them into the fireplace to be burned. Though once you do get the item, you have to get to the foyer as fast as you can since the Demon will be coming after you. It gets more difficult the more of these "power items" you destroy, the total being four items overall.

The Demon that does pursue you is not like the Demons seen in the franchise. This demon is based more on western portrayals of demons as well as modern portrayals of demons. instead of manifesting as a monster, it takes the form of a pitch black figure with two glowing red dots for eyes. Only at night is it at it's most powerful. in the day, t's barely active and when exploring the daytime interior of the mansion, you can only witness some limited poltergeist activity, a barely visible black figure off in the distance, unexplained footsteps or noises, and faint disembodied voices (very short and in an unintelligible language.).

In the daytime or if you don't enter the house at night and usually when you're a certain distance away or in town. a dark silhouette can be seen passing through some of the windows or some windows will appear to be mysteriously lit despite the place being uninhabited.

onto some lore . . .

The dungeon itself is a mansion infested by a demonic presence unleashed after the owner, a Hylian nobleman, dabbled into Ganondorf-levels of Dark Magic, to which he instantly regretted this move.

The owner isn't evil and did not do this act with any malicious intent, but rather he did it out of curiosity. This act led to his manor being infested by said demons, forcing him to abandon it and relocate to a different residence in the town. The demonic presence in the now abandoned mansion becoming so insidious that the nearby towns people attempted burn it to the ground. They failed as the demon prevented their fire form damaging the building. The haunting in this manor eventually wound up being brought to the attention of the King, who ordered that multiple exorcisms be made to the House in an attempt to cleanse it of the demonic presence.

Multiple exorcism were done on the Mansion by Hyrule's most powerful priests though it seems that these too failed to remove the demonic presence. Only succeeding in confining the Demon to the walls of the Mansion only. Though it didn't stop it from placing curses on anyone getting too close to the mansion as well as attaching parts of it's essence onto unfortunate trespassers.
    • I don’t know...
      I understand what you’re saying, but it feels a little... empty. Like, the rest of the world would be full of color, life, danger, seemingly innocuous but unnerving implications provided by the people of the land. And then, “Amnesia”.

If this was the begining point for a sidequest (like the Poe sidequest in TP) this could work. But as is, it just feels like a completely separate game.

On that note, I think a lot of your ideas could be utilized for a really fun dungeon if tweaked a little. Some suggestions I would make are...
      • The “demon” could be hinted at in diary entries. Never shown in full, but definately felt. Like paintings shifting position offscreen and the sounds of pots smashing in other rooms. Maybe some NPCs could be discussing rumors around a table at a bar for more context lore. (I do like the window thing. I think you struck oil with that one).
      • I feel that having a few more enemies would be a good idea. Rats, cursed keese and a poe or two would be enough. (Wallmasters are optional).
      • There should be music. Maybe low piano tinkling with the occasional sharp note for that uneasy feeling. (Like a distant music box).
      But that’s me. :grin:
    • for your three points.

- I think you mean by doing poltergeist activity? And how about chairs or furniture shifting position or link hearing footsteps and things other than pots falling over in other rooms? For eyewitness accounts, imagine talking with some carpenters who encountered the entity in the house prior to it's abandonment. like they were working on the place to maintain the wooden parts of the house (walls made of stone, floors and roof made of wood, except for the foyer and kitchen floor.) and then saw something that ended making them run away in terror. And how about in paintings of the house. like seeing that somehow the artist saw the "demon" in one of the windows as a very faint apparition and added it to the painting.

- As for enemies. yes a few more but keep it as sparse as possible.

- For music, how about keeping it minimal or done in a way that the moments of silence instills dread. And also ambient tracks not unlike some of the cave sounds from minecraft.

I was also partially inspired by that Steam game, the dark occult (The conjuring house)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Newell1435 ().

• Newell1435 wrote:

for your three points.

- I think you mean by doing poltergeist activity? And how about chairs or furniture shifting position or link hearing footsteps and things other than pots falling over in other rooms? For eyewitness accounts, imagine talking with some carpenters who encountered the entity in the house prior to it's abandonment. like they were working on the place to maintain the wooden parts of the house (walls made of stone, floors and roof made of wood, except for the foyer and kitchen floor.) and then saw something that ended making them run away in terror. And how about in paintings of the house. like seeing that somehow the artist saw the "demon" in one of the windows as a very faint apparition and added it to the painting.

- For music, how about keeping it minimal or done in a way that the moments of silence instills dread. And also ambient tracks not unlike some of the cave sounds from minecraft.

I was also partially inspired by that Steam game, the dark occult (The conjuring house)
      Sounds great.

I just thought about how trippy it would be for Link hearing a pot smash and not be the one responsible.
    • Sootfeather wrote:

Newell1435 wrote:

for your three points.

Sounds great.
      I just thought about how trippy it would be for Link hearing a pot smash and not be the one responsible.
      just like in real world paranormal investigations where people hear footsteps or objects moving in another room only to discover that nobody was in there
    • Newell1435 wrote:

The Moon of Termina wrote:

That sounds really cool. It would be extremely unique, and would add a lot to the game. I would like to know what the layout of the mansion would be though?
      in the daytime the mansions interior is the inside of a functional house but at night,the dungeon aspects come out
      Oooooh! Maybe a cat that looks like a Remlit!
      All peaceful during the day and then Boom unkillable hellcat at night!
    • Sootfeather wrote:

Newell1435 wrote:

either at night or at a certain time in the night. something like the Hylian equivalent of the Witching Hour (3:00 AM)
      So around the time I wake up most weekdays.
      Better set the traps just to be on the safe side.
      though as a dungeon, the interior is far more deteriorated than in the daytime and the layout of each of the floors is different. the player can only access it if they enter the mansion at that certain time of night, however if the player stays in the mansion when that certain time is reached, either nothing happens or something akin to Silent Hill's Otherworld transition occurs. though if they are to stay in the house, the unusual activity that would occur int he daytime would intensify before the transition

• Newell1435 wrote:

The Moon of Termina wrote:

That sounds really cool. It would be extremely unique, and would add a lot to the game. I would like to know what the layout of the mansion would be though?
      in the daytime the mansions interior is the inside of a functional house but at night,the dungeon aspects come out
      I know, but what would be the layout at night inside the mansion? Also, could you do anything during the day? Maybe you would need a certain object that only appeared during the day.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • Sootfeather wrote:

Newell1435 wrote:

that and also using clues scattered throughout the daytime mansion in order to solve some puzzles of the nighttime dungeon.
      Now you’re talkin’!
      though lore-wise i have some ideas:

- A haunted house themed dungeon akin to the Forest Temple from OoT, but the lore and the premise of this particular dungeon setting being inspired by the Borley Rectory in England. Basically a Mansion built atop the ruins of an ancient Monastery where a nun was sealed within its cellars after being caught in a romantic affair with a monk (who was hanged). The house, isn't abandoned like the forest temple, it is still inhabited by living people who only recently vacated the building when the alleged spirits haunting it became seemingly aggressive. Corrupted and controlled by a demonic presence that descended upon the mansion.

- Another Mansion, but built atop a cemetery a la poltergeist. This one haunted because the spirits of those buried are angry that their graves were defiled so that this structure could be built (You son of a bitch, you left the bodies and you only moved the headstones!). Their bodies being literally under the stone flooring of the basement. the most angry of these spirits being the spirits of the Royal Family. The underground portion of their tomb being directly under the part of the basement that is beneath the foyer.

- A third version being the legend of Loftus Hall, the most haunted house in Ireland. The ghost story goes as follows:

Charles Tottenham who became Lord of the manor by marrying Anne Loftus(having to adopt the Loftus name to inherit lands and title as per instructions of Nicolas Loftus 1752), was resting in his home in 1775 with his second wife and daughter from his first marriage, Anne, while the Loftus family were away on business. During a storm, a ship unexpectedly arrived at the Hook Peninsula, where the mansion was located. A young man was welcomed into the mansion. Anne and the young man became very close. One night, the family and mysterious man were in the Card room playing cards. In the game, each player received 3 cards apart from Anne who was only dealt 2 by the mystery man. A butler serving the Tottenham family at the table was just about to question the man when Anne bent down to pick another card from the floor which she must have dropped. It is said that when Anne bent over to pick up the card, she looked beneath the table to see that the mysterious man had a cloven foot.

It was then that Anne stood up and said to the man you have a cloven foot and the man went up through the roof, leaving behind a large hole in the ceiling. Soon Anne became mentally ill. It is believed that the family were ashamed of Anne and locked her away in her favourite room; where she would be happy, yet out of everyone's view; which was known as the Tapestry Room. She refused food and drink, and sat with her knees under her chin, looking out the Tapestry Room window across the sea to where Dunmore East is today, waiting for her mysterious stranger to return until she died in the Tapestry Room in 1675. It is said that when she died, they could not straighten her body, as her muscles had seized, and she was buried in the same sitting position in which she had died.

A rumour states that the hole could never be properly repaired, and it is alleged that even to this day, there is still a certain part of the ceiling which is slightly different from the rest. Meanwhile, it was believed that the stranger with the cloven hoof returned to the house and caused persistent poltergeist activity. A number of protestant clergymen apparently tried and failed to put a stop to this. The family, who were themselves Protestants, eventually called on Father Thomas Broaders (a Catholic priest, who was also a tenant on the Loftus Hall estate) to exorcise the house.

The apparent success of Father Broaders' exorcism did not end the ghostly visitations at Loftus Hall. The ghost of a young woman, presumed to be Anne Tottenham, was reported to have made frequent appearances in the Hall and has been reported to have been seen on the tour, opened in 2011. Interest in the ghost story has remained strong and many aspects of the story seem to have attached themselves to the house. A documentary about the mansion released many years later, after the last owners had gone, had said that there were reports from staff that had previously worked at the mansion, that they have seen Anne's ghost walk down the stairs, and that horses can be heard around the building.

imagine a haunted mansion in hyrule inspired by this story? Imagine getting some lore from the carpenters, claiming that when they opened up one of the walls in the mansion for repair work, they stumbled across the bones of a dead infant that had been sealed up in the walls long ago. further validating the legend.
    • I don't fell like the first or third would fit well in a Zelda game, but the second one probably would.

Otherwise, this is a really good idea for a dungeon, and I hope they do put something like this in the next Zelda game. BOTW was missing an undead dungeon, which disapointed me...
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • Newell1435 wrote:

Sootfeather wrote:

Newell1435 wrote:

that and also using clues scattered throughout the daytime mansion in order to solve some puzzles of the nighttime dungeon.
      Now you’re talkin’!
      though lore-wise i have some ideas:
      - A haunted house themed dungeon akin to the Forest Temple from OoT, but the lore and the premise of this particular dungeon setting being inspired by the Borley Rectory in England. Basically a Mansion built atop the ruins of an ancient Monastery where a nun was sealed within its cellars after being caught in a romantic affair with a monk (who was hanged). The house, isn't abandoned like the forest temple, it is still inhabited by living people who only recently vacated the building when the alleged spirits haunting it became seemingly aggressive. Corrupted and controlled by a demonic presence that descended upon the mansion.

- Another Mansion, but built atop a cemetery a la poltergeist. This one haunted because the spirits of those buried are angry that their graves were defiled so that this structure could be built (You son of a bitch, you left the bodies and you only moved the headstones!). Their bodies being literally under the stone flooring of the basement. the most angry of these spirits being the spirits of the Royal Family. The underground portion of their tomb being directly under the part of the basement that is beneath the foyer.

- A third version being the legend of Loftus Hall, the most haunted house in Ireland. The ghost story goes as follows:

Charles Tottenham who became Lord of the manor by marrying Anne Loftus(having to adopt the Loftus name to inherit lands and title as per instructions of Nicolas Loftus 1752), was resting in his home in 1775 with his second wife and daughter from his first marriage, Anne, while the Loftus family were away on business. During a storm, a ship unexpectedly arrived at the Hook Peninsula, where the mansion was located. A young man was welcomed into the mansion. Anne and the young man became very close. One night, the family and mysterious man were in the Card room playing cards. In the game, each player received 3 cards apart from Anne who was only dealt 2 by the mystery man. A butler serving the Tottenham family at the table was just about to question the man when Anne bent down to pick another card from the floor which she must have dropped. It is said that when Anne bent over to pick up the card, she looked beneath the table to see that the mysterious man had a cloven foot.

It was then that Anne stood up and said to the man you have a cloven foot and the man went up through the roof, leaving behind a large hole in the ceiling. Soon Anne became mentally ill. It is believed that the family were ashamed of Anne and locked her away in her favourite room; where she would be happy, yet out of everyone's view; which was known as the Tapestry Room. She refused food and drink, and sat with her knees under her chin, looking out the Tapestry Room window across the sea to where Dunmore East is today, waiting for her mysterious stranger to return until she died in the Tapestry Room in 1675. It is said that when she died, they could not straighten her body, as her muscles had seized, and she was buried in the same sitting position in which she had died.

A rumour states that the hole could never be properly repaired, and it is alleged that even to this day, there is still a certain part of the ceiling which is slightly different from the rest. Meanwhile, it was believed that the stranger with the cloven hoof returned to the house and caused persistent poltergeist activity. A number of protestant clergymen apparently tried and failed to put a stop to this. The family, who were themselves Protestants, eventually called on Father Thomas Broaders (a Catholic priest, who was also a tenant on the Loftus Hall estate) to exorcise the house.

The apparent success of Father Broaders' exorcism did not end the ghostly visitations at Loftus Hall. The ghost of a young woman, presumed to be Anne Tottenham, was reported to have made frequent appearances in the Hall and has been reported to have been seen on the tour, opened in 2011. Interest in the ghost story has remained strong and many aspects of the story seem to have attached themselves to the house. A documentary about the mansion released many years later, after the last owners had gone, had said that there were reports from staff that had previously worked at the mansion, that they have seen Anne's ghost walk down the stairs, and that horses can be heard around the building.

imagine a haunted mansion in hyrule inspired by this story? Imagine getting some lore from the carpenters, claiming that when they opened up one of the walls in the mansion for repair work, they stumbled across the bones of a dead infant that had been sealed up in the walls long ago. further validating the legend.
      Huh... would you look at that. I learned something today! :DD
    • The Moon of Termina wrote:

I don't fell like the first or third would fit well in a Zelda game, but the second one probably would.

Otherwise, this is a really good idea for a dungeon, and I hope they do put something like this in the next Zelda game. BOTW was missing an undead dungeon, which disappointed me...
      though the thing here is that this dungeon is still inhabited by living people, or only recently abandoned for a few years.

Imagine link meeting the owner or family that originally owned the house, all living in a different residence due to the paranormal activity in their house intensifying to the point where it began to endanger their lives.

• Sootfeather wrote:

Newell1435 wrote:

Sootfeather wrote:

Newell1435 wrote:

Now you’re talkin’!
      though lore-wise i have some ideas:- A haunted house themed dungeon akin to the Forest Temple from OoT, but the lore and the premise of this particular dungeon setting being inspired by the Borley Rectory in England. Basically a Mansion built atop the ruins of an ancient Monastery where a nun was sealed within its cellars after being caught in a romantic affair with a monk (who was hanged). The house, isn't abandoned like the forest temple, it is still inhabited by living people who only recently vacated the building when the alleged spirits haunting it became seemingly aggressive. Corrupted and controlled by a demonic presence that descended upon the mansion.

Huh... would you look at that. I learned something today! :DD
      though what do you think of the idea of getting the carpenters involved? like them being another source of eyewitness accounts.