Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    What games are you playing? NG+ Edition
    • I've been playing Sekiro. Contrary to what some DarkSouls veterans might say, I'm actually loving it and after playing Sekiro, I'm convinced to go back and actually play Dark Souls Remastered which I've put off due to lack of time. I finally got through the boss at the top of Ashina Castle after a few tries, so I'm finally getting to the good part of the game seeing how I reached these areas, but was prevented from progressing until I beat the boss.
    • Been playing Wonder Boy III the Dragon's Trap. And to my surprise...it's fantastic! Didn't think a old ass Sega Master System game would be so good. Granted, action-adventure with some RPG sprinkled in is right up my alley.

I've been going through my Sega Mega Drive & Master System games, with the intention to play them and sell all my Sega stuff so I can downsize my game collection. (now that the PS3/PS4 Sega collections have just about all the good old Sega games). But now I don't really want to part with the Dragon's Trap haha. Luckily there's the 2017 remake, might just get that.
    • I've been playing a lot of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and I mostly like it. At the same time, I've realized that a lot of the things it's based around, like gearing yourself up however you want and getting new and better versions of things, aren't all that interesting to me. So this bow does more damage than that bow, for no readily apparent reason. So what? They still work the same way. The best archery I've encountered in a game so far was in Far Cry Primal, which only had three kinds of bows, and each of them worked differently. That appeals to me more than having however many nearly indistinguishable variations of the same thing. See, this one's a supple ancient Nord bow! Completely different! Sometimes the items are literally functionally identical. If there's the slightest difference between steel arrows and ancient Nord arrows, I'd like to hear it.

It also exhibits the biggest problem I have with open world games, which is that nothing you do has the slightest impact on the world at large. When I completed the Forsworn mission in Markath, the basis of the entire city's economy was destroyed. Not that you could tell—that Silverblood guy didn't even seem to realize his brother had been killed. He certainly didn't consider it worth talking about. Most of the game seems to be like that—someone asks you to do something, you do it, you tell them you've done it, and they reward you and spend the rest of the game standing around.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I mean, as a game, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is definitely dated. It's from, what, 2013? And constantly rehashed and put out again so it's stayed in the spotlight as if it's this next-gen game when the reality is that it was just the forefront of the PS3/360-era and still had a lot of roots left in the PS2-era of gaming.

Where it really stands out is the worldbuilding and lore, and if you really wanted to roleplay in the quests or do some wacky things, then that's neat, but it's by no means an innovative or groundbreaking game imo.
    • Skyrim is from 2011 lol. Bethesda dropped the ball with their best franchise. :(

Speaking of Bethesda's best franchise, I recently started a new character in Morrowind, which I last played several years ago. It's not on the same level as its successors, but it was far ahead of any other genre games in its day. I heavily modded my copy to make it less hideous and also play more smoothly, and I'm enjoying just exploring around; in fact, I haven't even touched the main quest yet lol. I'm playing as an Imperial Scout man who is a low-key Imperial supremacist lol but otherwise generally means well.
    • When I was playing Skyrim last night, I suddenly was just... done with it. I'm not sure it'll stay that way and I won't pick it up again soon, but for some reason I had had enough after a few dozen hours. I'm thinking of going back to Darksiders, but I also want to try Far Cry 3—I'm trying to get a good grounding in open world games before starting Breath of the Wild so I have a good basis for comparison, and Far Cry 3 generally considered pretty seminal.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

• Hey guys! As many of you know I've been playing Hollow Knight... for a YEAR... and this weekend I played it until I was done. And by that I can't say that I beat it, but I got as far as I could without ending up super frustrated. I'm proud of what I accomplished, and after 100 hours exploring almost everything the game has to offer, it's really nice to close a chapter on this masterpiece of a game by Team Cherry, and move on.

Some of you may wonder where I stopped playing--it was in the White Palace, about 2 mins before completely finishing it. Why you ask? Because after getting almost to the VERY end, there are vertical spike sandwiches that require insane precision jumping skillz, and if you die it sends me back to this area that I HATE.

And honestly I just wanted to end on a good note and not be upset at the game--also after beating the White Palace there's basically just the Radiance boss fight that I'd have to beat--and honestly I don't think I could. I looked up what happened after deciding to end my mission--and that boss fight looks hard af.

So instead of thinking about the two parts I didn't beat, I'm focusing on all I accomplished: I beat Hornet twice, I beat Brooding Mawlek which maybe its supposed to be easy but he took me longer than most bosses, I beat the Watcher Knights, Traitor Lord, got through Queens Gardens, survived Deepnest, beat the Mantis Lords.

Besides those accomplishments, maybe this sounds weird but when I started playing Hollow Knight I felt like this is the game I've been waiting for--before even knowing it existed--just like when I played Ori and the Blind Forest. These platformers are tough, they are gorgeous, they are haunting, and their storytelling is deep.

Do you ever pick up a game, get into it, and think "YES, I was meant to play this game." And it's like the game was perfectly made just for you? And obviously that's insane because the creators don't even know us as individuals, yeah I get maybe that sounds weird. Anyway, long story short, I LOVED this game. Every stag station, every grub, every rancid egg (thank God for the rancid eggs), the precision platforming part (honestly I really enjoyed White Palace until that one part), each new location on the map, especially Greenpath--collecting all the maps, upgrading my nail. and THE LORE. It's all just so well executed, it's so amazing how the game keeps you guessing, and explains just enough, but leaves so much open to interpretation even after it ends.

Thanks for the journey, Team Cherry, looking forward to Silk Song!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Winnie ().

• Just finished up a playthrough of Borderlands 2 with Salvador- who is a class I’ve never tried before. I don’t know if it was perseverance or age and pure skill (doubt it) on my part, but I beat it in like two weeks? Which is a personal record. I’m probably going to do the DLC now- the Lilith one, then shelve the game for a while.
    • Bethesda didn't make New Vegas though...