Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    What games are you playing? NG+ Edition
    • I've been messing around in Deadly Towers for the NES. I knew going into it that it's considered a terrible game, and I can see why. Navigating the world can be a pain—a lot of rooms contain nothing, but on the other hand walking into a wall might take you to a shop. The first dungeon is accessed by walking into a particular, unremarkable spot.

At the start of the game your character is pretty weak—you attack by throwing swords, and it takes about a dozen hits to kill any given monster. At the same time, you take a fair bit of damage. To be fair, your blows do have stunlock, but so do the enemies. Honestly, a guy that looks like this should have a little more power behind his blows.
      The music isn't great, either. It's not a long loop, and a lot of it sounds like the background at a very underwhelming Renaissance festival.

For all that, though, I don't really hate it. For one thing, it's really ambitious. That was probably its downfall, but at least it tries to do more that "go from left to right and punch things" that so many NES games did. It has character, even if it is wonky.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vulpes ().

• I've been playing some Mario Kart DS, the last Mario Kart I bought (or have even played). I was having a decent enough time, and was wondering why I stopped buying these games, but then I got to the higher difficulties and realized I hate how they're designed around the drift mechanic. Drifting isn't a thing in most motorsports, people! Sideways is slow! Sideways is slow!
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

• I'm almost done with Just Cause 3 so I decided to do things an interesting way...

I don't know why I did this to my self, but I spent like thirty minutes to unlock a car. But I chose the most roundabout way to do it. I spent ten or so minutes driving the car to the nearest port, then drove it on boat which could only go 34 Knots. Then I spent ten minutes piloting the boat to another port.

Disembarked from the boat drove to an airport, spawned a carrier jet. Loaded the car into the jet, took off and flew it to another airport. And ugh... I crashed.

I think the runway was too short anyway. There's like only two runways in the game that can support the plane, so why? Why!?!
    • Serenity wrote:

The music in a game to me is almost as important as the gameplay. Like really imo you shouldn't skimp out on the music quality. Games that I love always have good music to it.
      This so much.

I'm generally music-dumb but I'll always appreciate a good sountrack to follow the action/atmosphere.

Also while this maaay just run against what I just said, I particularly love the MIDI tracks in several N64 games even if they technically sound old, they're such classics imo >.>
    • Well, I mean if we're going back and playing old games, MIDI OSTs will naturally sound less jarring to us, because we know the game is dated, and we're accepting dated aspects not only in the OST, but in the graphics, and other places... But to play a game like Dragon Quest XI, which is a modern game, and have SNES-like MIDI tracks playing is so unbelievably jarring I can't even describe it.

Also there's the whole fact that they're trying to have serious cutscenes with voice acting, but it just can't be taken seriously with that silly joyous MIDI music still going on unmuted.

I don't think that every tune is bad, but the MIDIs really are... And as a music lover, I still almost think this game would better if it just didn't have music versus what we got.

EDIT: So I just saw that the Switch version will have the orchestrated OST. If I knew the OST was like this I would have actually waited. Darn.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Envy ().

• Mainly Spirit Tracks and Ace Attorney Investigations. Still on Super Mario Bros. 3 as well but I'm not playing it super regularly. And I've been dipping my feet ever so slightly into Zelda II.
      You know, whenever I used to just lounge around... I would think how I'm just a tiny speck in a great, big world. And I still believe that I'm a teeny, tiny, little speck in a world that's SO much bigger than I ever thought! But even a speck can change the world if he puts his heart into it.
    • Creiddylad wrote:

I just got ending D for NieR: Automata and all I can say right now is that I'm not okay ;u; Dont really have a cohesive breakdown on it or anything I'm just emotional.
      Keep going! :D

And yeah, Ending D hits real damn hard.

Whole game spoilers for N:A, including all the main endings

It's also part of the canonical ending path, IIRC. C has 9S survive and the tower collapse, killing A2. D, meanwhile, has both 9S and A2 dead. Ending E seems based on the idea that everyone died. So it would seem that canonically 2B kills 9S one final time by accident and via a proxy (her sword, with her memories, impales him due to those same memories distracting A2) before they finally get a chance to start over.

The good news is that if D is the canonical path to the ending then Adam and Eve and the rest of the machine network (and maybe 9S) get to escape the Earth to find their own home in the stars. I'd be...pretty happy if the N:A sequel is set on wherever their ship lands, honestly, as the story of YoRHa and the androids seems kinda complete.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • Started Devil May Cry. Liking it so far. I haven’t played many of the older games though so I’m mostly going in blind.

Still picking away at Tales of vesperia. But the third act never really grabs my attention much, so I’m slowing down on it.

I finished bith Claire and Leon A scenarios and I’m working through the Claire B scenario now.
    • I need to work through more of Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, and Diablo 3. Skyrim would be on that list as well, but I'm kind of discouraged by how poorly it runs on PS3. Aside from that, I've gotten a heckin decent amount of games in my steam account from free humblebundle games as well as gift codes from friends. I can't wait until I have a PC to play those, as well as hopefully a Switch soon so I can play Breath of the Wild. But heck, new games are expensive.

And of course, the ever-present staple Minecraft. I've been playing mostly online on a server with some friends of mine and it's pretty great.
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
    • So I've played four of the seven Famicom games I've bought. The most intriguing so far is definitely Sansara Naga, but unfortunately it's also the most text-heavy, which isn't great when my working knowledge of Japanese could be generously described as "limited". To be honest, I'm not sure if what I played was the beginning or if I was in someone's save file. The game makes you go through something like three layers of menus before you can even play it.

You might be wondering why I bought an RPG in a language I don't speak, and all I can say is that I found the premise intriguing. You see, you don't do much fighting yourself, leaving such matters to your realio, trulio, little pet dragon. And this came out almost 6 years before Pokémon!

As far as I can tell, you can interact with things in a number of ways by pressing A near them and selecting an option from the resulting menu. Unfortunately for me, the menu options are in Japanese, which is how I ended up in a battle with an NPC, an old woman who was just standing around. I could not let this effrontery go unchallenged, so I ended up killing her. And you thought Grand Theft Auto was so transgressive.

No one else in the town seemed particularly perturbed by this course of events, but then again, perhaps they were begging for their lives in a very low-key manner and I just couldn't understand them. I left town, and soon found myself in a battle with what I can only describe as a row of cats. They proved a greater challenge than the old woman, so I got a game over. I'm planning on looking to see if I can find some gameplay descriptions online and make more meaningful progress.