Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Fun
    What Kind of Dungeon Aesthetics/Flavor Would you like to see?
    • One of the things the Divine Beasts were criticized for was their lack of individual identity. What kind "personality" would you like to see in the dungeons of the future:

- In what kind of setting would like to find them?
      - What would be the lore around said dungeon?
      - What kind of architecture would be cool?
      - What kind of core mechanic/theme/objective would drive it (things like timeshift stones, or changing water flow)?
      -Would you like them to continue to have elemental themes (forest, fire, water etc.) or be more generic?

In my case I'd like to see a tribal feeling (somewhat mayan/aztec inspired) dungeon located in a rain-forest, that fittingly would be water-forest themed.

In general, I'm interested in potential design space of mixing multiple elemental themes together, especially ones that seem mutually opposed, like ice and fire, light and shadow, earth and wind.

But what would all of you like to see?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zero_Origin ().

• I would like to see an underwater ruins type dungeon. Not like the water temple, but a city that was originally built on land, but was later submerged in a lake, or ocean. I think it would be cool to have the dungeon have ancient Egyptian architecture. The core mechanic of the dungeon could be trying to drain the water, or somehow get the dungeon above water, similar to the OOT water temple, but not able to reverse the water height. The theme of the dungeon would be obviously water, but also sand, because the city was originally a desert city. I'm not sure what the dungeon item would be though. The item should feel at home in a desert city, but also be useful in the water...

Zero_Origin wrote:

In general, I'm interested in potential design space of mixing multiple elemental themes together, especially ones that seem mutually opposed, like ice and fire, light and shadow, earth and wind.
      There actually is a dungeon that combines fire and ice in Oracle of Seasons. It's the Sword and Shield dungeon.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • @The Moon of Termina

Cool idea! I love Egyptian architecture, and the underwater theme reminds me of Atlantis. Hopefully the raising the temple mechanic wouldn't make the dungeon as difficult as the infamous water dungeon though.

Also, I haven't played the Oracle games, but I looked up the Sword and Shield dungeon and it seems like a cool concept to use the ice to cool the lava (yay video game physics :lol: ). Snowhead Temple from MM also had a fire/ice theme, but in reverse: using fire arrows to melt ice.

What I had in mind would be more along the lines of using heat (hot and cold) in both directions in the same dungeon to continually convert water back and forth from its three states: solid, liquid, gas. The setting would be sort of like a steampunk factory (probably in Goron territory) and could use steam and or water pressure to power turbines and other machinery.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zero_Origin ().

• Atlantis is actually kind of what I was basing it off of.

The Oracle games are really fun, and the Sword and Shield dungeon was fun (except for an ice block puzzle... Why do those exist?)

Oh, that would be a really cool dungeon! I see it in more of a Zora setting though, because it sounds like it would fit in an aesthetic like the Great Bay Temple from MM. Either area would be good though.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
    • I would like to see more dungeons that fit naturally within the world themselves. I love open-world games and I like that BoTW returned to the genre, and this idea would blend perfectly with it.

Take the ice manor in TP for instance. You don't even realize that its a dungeon at first, but after navigating around it some you start to realize exactly what it is. It's designed to seem like someone's home yet giving us the challenges we've come to expect in a Zelda dungeon. Not only that but a mansion in the middle of the mountains gives it an air of mystery too for us to theorize on.

As for new ideas, imagine you have a town/city the size of at least Oxenfurt in the Witcher 3. Make it somewhere you've already visited a few times, nice and open, plenty to explore, yet have it built with a certain architecture. The place could be build on top of an old ruins of some sort, whether its just an underground network of tunnels and rooms or an old sewage system, or maybe even some catacombs. Some buildings have access to this place and you need to navigate through both the city and the dungeon in order to progress (think of the Skull Woods in aLttP). All this while there is still an active city hustling around on the streets above you. This would end with the final boss being released on the city making you have a epic showdown protecting its citizens. There's a lot of room with this idea for developing lore for the dungeon and to really drive home the idea of Link being a hero of legend.

A second one I thought of would be a more forest themed dungeon, though it could work with any environment. Sticking with the forest theme the dungeon would be the forest itself, tucked away inside a meadow that can only be accessed at certain points. This would have a series of caves and perhaps ancient primitive structures decorating the forest, and the puzzles would be as much a part of the environment as they would be traditional mechanical block puzzles. All of this would work to some kind of shrine in the middle of the meadow. SS came close to this idea, but I always felt the execution was lacking and the fact the game was missing any substantial overworld made the world rather boring.

Basically, I want to see the dungeons move away from BoTW shrines which add nothing to the overworld and have some that blend in with an atypical design.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • I want to see a lot of variety in the dungeons. I thought the Divine Beasts were a fine concept, but certainly tired by the fourth one.

The dungeons should serve as a contrast to the over-world (open vs. enclosed, different cast of enemies, exploration vs. puzzle solving etc.)

In my case I'd like to see a tribal feeling (somewhat mayan/aztec inspired) dungeon located in a rain-forest, that fittingly would be water-forest themed.

This would have fit so well in the Zonai Ruins.

As satisfying as BotW is, there are definitely many locations in the game where a proper dungeon would have been a perfect culmination (an ice caverns in Hebra, Death Mountain Crater (beyond Vah Rudania), a grand pyramid in the desert. etc.
    • Bill wrote:

This would have fit so well in the Zonai Ruins.

As satisfying as BotW is, there are definitely many locations in the game where a proper dungeon would have been a perfect culmination (an ice caverns in Hebra, Death Mountain Crater (beyond Vah Rudania), a grand pyramid in the desert. etc.

Tell me about it. I'd been waiting to see a jungle themed area in the Zelda series for a long time (since I saw the woodfall/southern swamp area of MM), and was beyond stoked by the whole Faron region of BoTW. It would have been perfect if it had themed dungeon in the area to cap it all off. LIke you said, there were a number of other missed possibilities in other areas as well. An Egyptian/Mesopotamian inspired pyramid in the desert would have been awesome. Hopefully we will see something like these ideas in the future.