Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Winter Awards Feedback/Suggestions Thread
    • 1. Do people care about/enjoy awards?

I believe so. They are my favorite thing aside from many of the people here.

2. Would you rather voting be turned back to the community?

Yes. So far as I know, there is no other thing that the community as a whole can take part in (other than normal posting within threads/topics).
      The Clans have Clan Wars and our own forum.
      The Mods and Management control largely Member of the Month, and many other events.
      The one thing that the community had was the Community Awards, and this time that was taken from the majority.

3. Do you have any suggestions that you believe could make things more fun?

I believe that we should perhaps keep this or similar thread open all year so that people can always voice their thoughts regarding the awards process.

4. Should we have cut down the number of awards? Should we cut more? Or should we add old ones back in (within reason)?

I believe that for much there were too few this time and too many in the past.
      Perhaps some mid-ground can be reached.

5. What was successful about this season, and what was not?

The effort that was brought forward to make the Community Awards better was good.
      The fact that the choice to change them prior to these talks was not.

I hope that helps.

Tead.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tead ().

• So, I am being biased by the previous posts. *cough* Tru and boxes *cough*

1. Do people care about/enjoy awards?
      I absolutely enjoy the awards. I always am looking forward to it and I like participating in them.

I originally was going to say that I didn't mind this idea of you, and I appreciate your efforts to make the voting more unbiased (I noticed this voting pattern too), but the arguments of a) staff being humans and therefore biased as well and b) the whole forums voting on it gets a better picture of what the forum is like, have convinced me.

Hhmm... Not really, others already have made good suggestions.
      I especially like the suggestion of including Newbies more.

4. Should we have cut down the number of awards? Should we cut more? Or should we add old ones back in (within reason)?
      I personally was fine with this award's numbers. I don't remember the quantity of the previous two awards I witnessed (meaning I don't have a feeling for it).

I don't know, honestly. I certainly had fun.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage.
      This puppet's role has just ended..."
      - Majora

My major theories:

Counting the Population of Termina

Counting the Population of Hyrule (OoT)
    • boxes wrote:

But now... what else. All of this season's awards focused on looks, with only one (arguably?) that focuses solely on someone's choices -- that is, best dressed/best sense of style. For comparison, 40% of the Summer scrapbook awards were not based on needing to look a certain way (ZU meetup, pet, best scrapbook post, skillful selfies). I don't grow facial hair so now there's a whole 20% of the Scrapbook awards I don't even qualify for (best facial hair). All of the awards in the Summer list that were based on something other than yo face (pet, ZU meetup, best scrapbook post) were removed, meaning if I can't or am not comfortable with posting a mugshot I shouldn't even bother. And like, who doesn't want to tell Moriquendi that his nature shots are awesome and pretty much the reason I watch the scrapbook?
      Aww, thank you^^ That put a smile on my face *laughs*

~~~

Yes, I love them :)

Yes, I would. I like voting. As @Lady Sunshine knows, this details totally went above my head and I was confused whether I'd missed something. That's mostly on me, though :p

I kind of liked dropping out the suggestion period, though I do like that some awards get added/removed every now and then. But this could easily be done by pretty much anyone, rather than having the community post random stuff for a week.

Yes and no. I kind of felt that it was a bit lacking, but it also made the process quicker. I agree with @boxes that the scrapbook ones could have some more variety. I certainly see the reasoning behind the "most attractive member" thing, but it's a fun award to vote for and receive.. and the more, the merrier, kind of?

I think it was kind of nice to drop the suggestions part, but I would like to take part in the voting. And a few more awards would be nice.

In general, however I think it's more fun to nominate (and me nomiated) for something rather than vote. That means that someone thinks of you when asked about something, rather than just picking off a list. That means more to me.
    • RE letting the community vote:

I generally don’t participate much besides voting for the fitness guru and best facial hair, but when I read that it would only be staff voting I was pretty confused, and basically wrote it off mentally.

I don’t know how there could be any surprise as to why it (apparently, as I didn’t bother to keep up with it) wasn’t a success. There’s no incentive to participate.

Again, I don’t have any skin in the game so I don’t have strong feelings either way, but I can see why people much more active in the community would have misgivings.
    • Tead wrote:

I believe so. They are my favorite thing aside from many of the people here.

Yes. So far as I know, there is no other thing that the community as a whole can take part in (other than normal posting within threads/topics).
      The Clans have Clan Wars and our own forum.
      The Mods and Management control largely Member of the Month, and many other events.
      The one thing that the community had was the Community Awards, and this time that was taken from the majority.

I believe that we should perhaps keep this or similar thread open all year so that people can always voice their thoughts regarding the awards process.

I believe that for much there were too few this time and too many in the past.
      Perhaps some mid-ground can be reached.

The effort that was brought forward to make the Community Awards better was good.
      The fact that the choice to change them prior to these talks was not.

I hope that helps.

Tead.
      I’d like to highlight your point number 3. Member of the month isn’t always an easy task.

Now, I don’t know how much this actually happens because I don’t moderate this board, but member submissions I think would be very, very welcomed.
      We aren’t going to hold voting for this like we have done the awards in the past, but suggestions and a reason why you’re asking for a particular person to be recognized would be extremely welcomed by the mod team.

I think there is a perception where the mods are in charge of everything/doing everything around here. Yes, the mods do enforce the rules, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only ones who can create events, or threads, or games, etc. And it certainly doesn’t mean they are the only ones that should get a say in ZUer if the month!

I would be more than interested to hear any ideas for how everyone can get more involved with everything we do around here. At the end of the day, what drives the forums here is the community. I don’t want the community to feel like they don’t have a say, or they’re walking on eggshells all the time.

I realize I went off on a small tangent here. Haha. But My tl;dr is please feel free to submit zuer of the month suggestions, and get more involved with various events if you want to! The PM box is always open if you’ve got any ideas or if you want to contribute to something we’re doing.