Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Where did the Round Eared Humans come from?
    • We know the origins of the pointy eared Hylians and Shiekah, but where did round eared humans and Gerudo humans come from? If Hylia created the Hylians, who created the round eared humans?

You see a few in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and where ever Gerudo pop up, although in BOTW they now have Hylian-like ears. I don't know if there are any other games that have them other then the two I mentioned, as I haven't played them.

So, any ideas?
    • Well, first I should say that Hylians and pointy-eared humans are not synonymous. In A Link to the Past, the Hylians are considered a mythical race that has long since perished but most people still have pointy ears in that game. Hylia also did not create the humans, the golden gods did and certain humans began to call themselves Hylians (lit. People of Hylia in Japanese) after the founding of Hyrule as said in Twilight Princess. The people in Skyward Sword also do not call themselves Hylians after all, just human, as do others like Demise as well.

I feel personally like round eared humans and pointy eared humans are comparable to different ethnicities in real life. In certain regions of the Light World, like Hyrule and New Hyrule, pointy-eared humans are common. In others, like Labrynna, Holodrum and Koholint Island, round-eared humans are common. Marin even retains her round ears in the remake of Link's Awakening for Switch, as we can see in the new trailer. The round-eared humans in Twilight Princess can perhaps be explained by migration happening in that time, while Ordon is not considered part of Hyrule. It is instead hailed as a weird province/country-thing to the south and is just another region where round-eared humans are common. I do not recall any round-eared humans in Wind Waker, just people with very small points in their ears.
      Extended Child Timeline (ECT): SS > Era of Wars > OoT > MM >> TP >>> TMC >> FS backstory >> FS > FSA >> Seal War > LTTP > OoX > LA >> LBW >> Golden Era >> Zelda 1 > Zelda 2 >>> BotW
      AT: SS > Era of Wars > OoT >> Great Flood >> TWW > PH >> ST >>> TFH

:sparta:
    • Non-Hylians ?

The pointy ears are said to enable them from earing the Gods.

これらの記録書を書き残したハイリア民族は、神の声を聞くことができる選ばれた民でした。
      それゆえ、高い耳を持ち、感覚に優れ、魔法を使いました。
      "This documentation was written by the race of Hylia, the chosen people capable of hearing the voices of the gods
      For that reason, the Hylians have high ears, unsurpassed senses, and the ability to use magic."- ALTTP manual
      "They say we Hylians have big ears in order to hear the voices of the gods...but I've never heard them!"- OOT

Hylians, Sheikah, Lokomos all share a common trait ; they are servants of the Gods and so were granted pointy ears in order to recieve the Gods's instructions.

Gerudo are supposed to worship the Goddess of the Sand (Jashin as I call her), but does not possess the pointy ears, I guess she wasn't really talkactive, or maybe used spirits, like her Snakes, as an intermediate or messengers. She is said by Navi to be evil afterall.

The Pointy ears trait seems to be heritable, as, according to CaC, the Gerudo gained it after centuries of breding with Hylians.
      And can be lost, as the Hylian Blood diluted in the Downfall Timeline, many Hylians fled Hyrule for Labrynna or Holodrum and their descent lost the Pointy ears.

So, it can be both genetic and magic, a mutation caused by the sacred power of a God.

Regular Humans with rounded ears are outsiders, they aren't from Hyrule.

"Oh, no, I don't believe he's from Hyrule proper at all. No, my understanding is that he's from the big neighboring province of Ordona." — Shad

During Skyward Sword, the fate of the Humans that stayed on the Surface was unknown and so, the Skyloftians thought they were the last remaining ones, but it was false.
      And they might have understood that after their first contact with the Gerudo, a nomad tribe that decided to make Lanayru Desert their territory.

Labrynna, Holodrum, Hytopia, the Drabblands, Emerald Kingdom and Ordon are all non-Hylian provinces.
    • I always figured it was a mixture of both:

• Magic+genetics. Over time the pointy-eared genes would either dissipate or bloom depending on what the population was doing.

• Non-Natives of Hyrule. Outsiders, basically. Maybe they came to Hyrule, some fell in love with the Hylians, made babies and then we go back up to the first point regarding genetics.

"I'm the King of the Seas!" - Said every Orca Whale Ever

• I just assume they're not from Hyrule, or they stayed on earth when Hylia raised her people to the sky in SS.

At BotW's point, round-eared humans have probably just been bred out, as Hylians are the dominant race. CC gives two explanations for Gerudo's currently pointed ears- that they interbred with Hylians, or that they finally learned to open their ears and listen to Hylia. Judging by her statue in Gerudo city, I'd think it's the former. Gerudo in older games, particularly Ganon and Twinrova, have a green cast to their skin tone that's pretty much gone by BotW times, and rounded ears too. We see greater variety in Gerudo skin tones in BotW, another suggestion they've been mating with Hylians.
    • I had a theory way back that if a round eared human tried talking to Zephos and Cyclos they wouldn't be able to hear them.

BotW headcanon: It can't be in the DT, because Ganon finally gave up reincarnating. In the DT, it starts with him already in Ganon mode.

Edit- I know this isn't the Headcanon thread, I beat the game the other day and I just realized what that line meant. I vote CT for BotW.
      :ghirahim: :cucco: :look: :tingle: :moon:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guinea ().

• Guinea wrote:

I had a theory way back that if a round eared human tried talking to Zephos and Cyclos they wouldn't be able to hear them.

It would make sense. I even think they wouldn't even be able to see them, be able to see deities is even something regular Hylians can't do as shown by the Dragons in BOTW.

Guinea wrote:

BotW headcanon: It can't be in the DT, because Ganon finally gave up reincarnating. In the DT, it starts with him already in Ganon mode.

That's quite off-Topic, if you want to talk about it, this Thread is still here. (and quite untrue as the opposite is said in Japanese, he never gave up on reincarnating)

Velivolo wrote:

they stayed on earth when Hylia raised her people to the sky in SS.

This is also my thinking, it would make the most sense as every Hylians is Pointy Eared.
    • Nothing is ever confirmed about the origins of any race. "Hylians" probably came to be called that because they could hear Hylia. Once Hylia lost her divinity, the pointed ears ceased to have any function.

It seems that the Seal War killed off most Hylians, and that those who survived married round-eared humans. However, I suspect that Link's Triforce wish at the end of ALTTP "re-Hylianized" the people of Hyrule (this ties into my next point).

In the Child portion of OOT, Ganondorf has round ears, but in the Adult portion, he has pointed ears. Might the Triforce have an ability to turn people into Hylians?
      "The (Star Wars) EU is a bloated, wretched mess."
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • I view it as such:

-Pre-SS people and people of SS are first humans. There's groups of people on the surface we don't see to mathematically make sense of the 20 or so people of Skyloft somehow populating the Earth. Also the Sheikah have to be somewhere.
      -After returning to the surface the people of Skyloft intermingle with the people of the surface and start to slowly become genetically diverse and distant from the original Hylia people.
      -Gerudos have round ears due to being so isolated from the other people.
      -By the time of TP enough interbreeding has happened that round eared humans are more prominent than they were.
      -By the time of ALttP the people with the closest ties to the original Hylia people are gone and everyone is somewhat interbred.
    • I see a few possibilities:
      1. They are descended from Skyloftians
      2. They are descended from human survivors on the Surface
      3. They descended from other humans in the Sky
      Honestly, they could all be true. There have to humans somewhere other than Skyloft, since Sheikah exist both before and after SS. I could see that being either other sky islands (with the lumpy pumpkin, we know that there's at least one beside Skyloft with full-time residents) or some hidden village on the Surface that we just never have the opportunity to see. But round-eared humans could also have developed afterward. There are some rounder ears and some pointier ears in Skyloft.

Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • As far as we know, pointed ears are not correlated to faith. In Ocarina of Time one woman is even skeptical of the whole "pointed ears allows you to hear voices of the gods" thing since she has never heard the voices of the gods...
      Extended Child Timeline (ECT): SS > Era of Wars > OoT > MM >> TP >>> TMC >> FS backstory >> FS > FSA >> Seal War > LTTP > OoX > LA >> LBW >> Golden Era >> Zelda 1 > Zelda 2 >>> BotW
      AT: SS > Era of Wars > OoT >> Great Flood >> TWW > PH >> ST >>> TFH

:sparta:
    • I think that all humans/hylians had round ears at first and the skyloftians developed pointy ears while in the sky, while the ones who stayed on the ground kept the round ears. Then, when the skyloftians came back down, they had kids with the round eared people and their kids had pointy ears because the pointy ears are the dominant trait (that’s my theory at least)

Over time, the pointy ears became less dominant and people started having kids with round ears .

The reason the gerudo all have round ears is because they are so isolated

The post was edited 2 times, last by Dragonfart ().

• I've always assumed that the "pointy ears let them hear the voices of the gods" thing was just an urban legend, probably born by the coincidental occurrence of pointed ears and strong association with the Goddess Hylia.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.