Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - (Nintendo Switch)
    • I suspect that players in Japan vs the US/Europe were primed differently. All the territories shared the actual core official art (the stuff from the manual, etc). But it was accompanied with very different supporting art, including a bunch of Japan-only chibi stuff and a bunch of realistic stuff that was mostly used outside of Japan. For example:

Japan-only art used in guides, magazines, and ads:

The Katsuya Terada artwork that was used in American and European game guides:

Side note: I really miss Terada doing artwork for Zelda guides (though making Marin blonde was heresy). And damn, the German LA player's guide has a lot of unique art never seen anywhere else. I would love to get my hands on a copy of that thing.

Source for most of this: historyofhyrule.com/
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 4 times, last by Max N. ().

• I have to say, despite never having played Link's Awakening myself (only watched a Let's Play years ago and can't really remember much details of it), I am somewhat excited. This might have persuaded me in buying a Switch.
      I mostly like the art style. I don't really know what people say about the style being too "cute" - the only thing I really can't get along with are Link's eyes: These two sole black dots definitively don't look good in my opinion. They are ruining Link's expressiveness, and make him look... off, IMO. Would have preferred ALBW-style! I'll probably get used to at a certain point.
      I'm aware of the ending, but I think it might work. Let's hope NIntendo can combine this "cute" art style with an emotional and serious ending.
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage.
      This puppet's role has just ended..."
      - Majora

My major theories:

Counting the Population of Termina

Counting the Population of Hyrule (OoT)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Romano-British Medli ().

• Max N. wrote:

I suspect that players in Japan vs the US/Europe were primed differently. All the territories shared the actual core official art (the stuff from the manual, etc). But it was accompanied with very different supporting art, including a bunch of Japan-only chibi stuff and a bunch of realistic stuff that was mostly used outside of Japan. For example:

Japan-only art used in guides, magazines, and ads:

The Katsuya Terada artwork that was used in American and European game guides:

Side note: I really miss Terada doing artwork for Zelda guides (though making Marin blonde was heresy). And damn, the German LA player's guide has a lot of unique art never seen anywhere else. I would love to get my hands on a copy of that thing.

Source for most of this: historyofhyrule.com/
      That Japan-only art is actually pretty neat. If the game looked more like that, I wouldn't mind too much.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Does it have to be a choice? If so, then a new game, of course, but releasing remakes in between new titles has pretty much been Nintendo's holding pattern for a while now, so I see no inherent reason why we couldn't at least in principle get both.

On the subject, though, I'd kinda like to see them attempt an entirely new OoX-esque set of entries that play into each other. With modern tech, i.e. amiibos, it might be a bit easier to manage than the old password system and allow for some more flexibility than just "Oh look, here's some new password spewing/seeking NPCs and an Oracle who was demoted to is responsible for turning those passwords into upgrades and items."
    • A game can be "open" without it being "open-world". Letting the dungeon keys open either of the keyed dungeons, or replace rocks with the plants bow-wow can eat and vice versa to switch up routes, whatever. You could even match the dialogue to the general progression rather than specific events, like no matter what dungeon you visit it'' always be the 6th boss to give the dream hint. More replayable without affecting pacing much, besides gameplay difficulty maybe.

It wouldn't matter to me either way.
    • I'd like to point out that what I mean by "more open" isn't full-on open world. I imagine something more along the lines of OoT, where you have access to some areas before you're "supposed" to be there and the order of dungeons and sidequests isn't entirely fixed.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Well I for one like being able to play through a game a different way the second time if I so please. Link's Awakening is where Zelda's whole linear streak began, a streak that lasted until ALBW almost 20 years later. But they probably won't make it open-ended any more than they made OoT 3D or MM3D more open-ended. So far it looks like it'll be a 1:1 recreation of the original world in 3D sans screen transitions (barring maybe area transitions like ALBW had).
    • ich Will wrote:

I doubt the Capcom Zeldas will be remade, they seem to get ignored. Feels like their absence in Hyrule Warriors was one of the signs, they don't tend to be referenced like the other games, do they? I wouldn't mind OoA remade though, but a new game would be the best.
      Only game I know that the capcom Zelda's are referenced in is BotW with some area's on the map named after Holodrum and Labrynna.

Oh and while not Zelda, Smash Ultimate has spirits for some characters like the animal friends and Nayru and Din.

Signature by the amazing Lucid_Raven. Check our her art thread here: Raven's Emporium and Shop

The post was edited 2 times, last by TruEdge67 ().

• While unconfirmed, one could argue that the statues you place the Goddess Pearls into in WW (which initially also reference Pikmin) look somewhat like the Oracles once they explode. It's debatable if that counts, though.

Still, the fact that these games were given slots in the timeline and referenced as recently as BotW goes to show that Nintendo haven't forgotten them completely, so them being remade is still within at least the outskirts of the realm of possibility.

Moving a bit back on topic, I'm wondering if/hoping that the Seashell Mansion actually ends up being a mansion in this version, and that the spirit who gives you the rewards has a little more of a presence. I always thoroughly enjoyed that location, simple though it was, and I'm curious how it'll be updated.
      Black Velvet Inferno

The post was edited 1 time, last by Setras ().