Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - (Nintendo Switch)

• It looks so cute, like clay puppets! And coming out this year, nice.

My main worry is that it will be boring for people who played the original. It looks like they just took the original map and made it 3D. Let's hope there are enough surprises!

Edit: one thing I notice is that Link always holds his shield, something that didn't happen very often in the original. They probably changed it so you don't need an item button for his shield.

So when did you realize you were looking at a Zelda game? I had my suspicions when I saw those high waves... and I knew when I saw the ship!
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Canyarion wrote:

It looks so cute, like clay puppets!
      That is my main problem with it. Why couldn't it look more like the animation before it? What a letdown. As I wrote in the Switch-thread, I will probably still play it since I have never played Link's Awakening before. At least not beating it. Tried to once, but I got a piece of shit-German only-game cartridge so that was very pointless.
    • I'm glad that I'll be able to play the game without switching items every two seconds or dealing with slow, unskippable text boxes, but I'm disappointed by the visuals. The last thing I want is for Nintendo to lean towards an even more fake, plastic look. Just go with cel-shading. Even if they do want to go in this direction, I wish they would be a bit less cheap about it; the flowers are still just flat textures. It barely feels like an upgrade to ALBW's graphics. I also dislike Link's eyes, but I probably won't notice that much when I'm playing.
      [pitch meeting] Okay so it's a ton of dogs. Dalmatians. 100 of 'em. I call it "100 Dalmatians." [idea man pipes in] Let's think bigger

- Ristolable
    • I think it looks adorable, and it's a game that could definitely need a remaster. The original/DX are still awesome IMO, but this is a great way to introduce one of the best stories in Zelda history to a new generation who probably aren't as nostalgic for Gameboy graphics.

I hope they add in some new content, but even if they don't it will still be an enjoyable game. Looking forward to it!

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • As someone who puts Link's Awakening in his top five games of all time, someone for whom Link's Awakening was the second game he ever beat, I am actively offended by how awful Nintendo made this remake look. If there's no new content there's no real reason for me to buy it, because I'd rather look at the original than this garbage.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

"Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

"I claim them all," said the Savage at last.

Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Kokopelli wrote:

The last thing I want is for Nintendo to lean towards an even more fake, plastic look. Just go with cel-shading. Even if they do want to go in this direction, I wish they would be a bit less cheap about it; the flowers are still just flat textures. It barely feels like an upgrade to ALBW's graphics.
      Yeah it does kinda look plastic doesn't it? And it reminds me of the NSMB-series.

Honestly, if I end up having no other game to play at some point (hah), I may pick this up. But this doesn't hype me up at all. Sure somewhere inside me I want to have played Link's Awakening since I always hear how good it is, and the original looks just fine, but I am at the same time not desperate for it. Perhaps I might just wait for the day when I can play the original via their online-service in the future or something. It feels just wrong to buy something that doesn't appeal to me.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• The rumor(s) about this had been circulating for quite a while, but I was one of those that leaned towards thinking they'd be giving LA the "remake sequel" treatment, like ALBW was to ALttP. That way at least you'd get new content. I'd prefer that. I was actually hoping for a brand new adventure though, I'm just not a big fan of LA. I also think the original still holds up okay as far as I recall, other than equipping items and text boxes being slow.

The new visuals are...different, but pretty.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• MVS wrote:

Why couldn't it look more like the animation before it?
      Because it's a budget top-down game. It would take much more work to do that art style justice, and a lot of it would be wasted if it was still just a faithful top-down game.

That said, I am not a huge fan of these visuals, but it is not very easy to translate a 25 year old game to modern 3D visuals. They are about on the same level as A Link Between Worlds, except with much more detail due to being on Switch of course.

Also, it looks like it's made with Unreal 4 to me, though I'm not sure. I know Nintendo studios are experimenting a lot with that engine, and Yoshi's Crafted World uses it too.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• The moment I saw Link's shoulder in the intro, I gasped with excitement. I knew immediately what this was going to be. I'm just happy it's being remade at all. I figure the in-game graphics are meant to be an update of the original style, dot eyes and all, much like how ALBW's style was "ALttP, but in 3D". The animated intro is definitely cool, though. I think this is the second time we've seen Link in animated form straight from Nintendo, after Palutena's Smash 4 trailer. Combined with BotW's serviceable voice acting, it makes me wonder if Nintendo's got a Zelda anime in the pipeline.

But maybe give us a better ending this time, Nintendo? I want something more satisfying than Link sitting on driftwood in the ocean.

And if they're remaking Link's Awakening, then maybe, just maybe, a certain pair of Zelda games aren't far behind...if we see an animated trailer of Link riding a horse down the line, I'm going to squeal in delight.

So, some gameplay musings:
      Display Spoiler

• Since the game is 3D, there don't appear to be screen transitions like in the original. I'm cool with that, makes each area feel bigger.
      • Could it be many of the items will be assigned to particular buttons? As neat as the old item system was, it was mostly a workaround for a very limited button selection. This time we got eight buttons instead of two, plus a right analog stick. I picture button mapping like this:
        • A - Roc's Feather
        • B - Sword
        • X - Ocarina (after pressing X, you choose which song to play, or decline)
        • Y - Power Bracelet
        • L/zL/R/zR - Bow, Bombs, Magic Powder, Pegasus Boots, Hookshot, Magic Rod, Shovel/Boomerang
        • Right Stick - Quick Select (Allows you to assign items to the L, R, ZL, and ZR buttons by tilting the stick in the appropriate direction, then pressing the button you wish to assign the item to)
        • Plus - Brings up Inventory (lists the items you've collected and allows you to save your game)
        • Minus - Brings up Map

• I wonder how the Photographer will be implemented? Presumably you still get amusing scenes, like Link and Marin falling down the well. Or maybe now they're videos? We might get more than just the opening cutscene, folks.

That Ballad of the Wind Fish at the end... ;_;

The post was edited 4 times, last by Miles ().

• Please Understand wrote:

MVS wrote:

Why couldn't it look more like the animation before it?
      Because it's a budget top-down game. It would take much more work to do that art style justice, and a lot of it would be wasted if it was still just a faithful top-down game.
      That said, I am not a huge fan of these visuals, but it is not very easy to translate a 25 year old game to modern 3D visuals. They are about on the same level as A Link Between Worlds, except with much more detail due to being on Switch of course.

Also, it looks like it's made with Unreal 4 to me, though I'm not sure. I know Nintendo studios are experimenting a lot with that engine, and Yoshi's Crafted World uses it too.
      A budget game that will charge you 60 dollars, great. I didn't ask for something other than a top-downish remake... so I don't know what you are on about. The A Link Between Worlds-character-designs looks way better than this in my eyes, this Link look more like a toy/clay figure. Why couldn't it look more like PH/ST tracks but really sharp and with more details? Where Link also looks more like he does in that animation film?

And honestly, if this was the best they could come up with, I would gladly have taken a "2D HD"-remake instead.

The post was edited 4 times, last by MVS ().

• Late to the party, haha. I just woke up and watched the direct. The visuals aren't really doing it for me with LA. Everything looks weirdly proportioned. Why is Link shorter than the bushes? It almost reminds me of short Mario. Although on a second rewatch of the trailer it is kind of growing on me. I think maybe it was just surprising - it is kind of cute.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • When they announced that they were showing the last game, I started thinking "please be Zelda, please be Zelda..." Then I saw the anime styled bubbles, and felt a massive disappointment. Then, the storm, and it was very familiar. Then I saw Link's ear, and my hope spiked back up. I was back to excited when I saw Link's face. It was then that I knew that it was Link's Awakening. Then, I saw the gameplay, and was very... surprised. I certainly do not hate the artstyle of this game, but it will take some getting used to. I'm excited to see what the windfish looks like, and I'm especially excited for the remastered soundtrack.

The criticism of the artstyle will probably die down, like it did with Wind Waker. I bet we'll even see this artstyle again.

Although if they remake the Oracles (please do) I hope they go more like they did in ALBW.
      :moon:
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage. This puppet's role has just ended..." -Majora

"A puppy can be fused with garbage. This puppy's role has just ended."
      :moon:
    • I still don't like how The Wind Waker looks. So there.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

"Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

"I claim them all," said the Savage at last.

Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I am a bit surprised by how much hate the art is getting.

It was definitely weird at first, especially Link's face, but it's really grown on me astonishingly quickly.

I wonder if the first half of the trailer being...pretty much right out of the original game, only with more detail and animation, made the transition more jarring.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!