Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - (Nintendo Switch)
    • While I’m excited and I’m going to buy the game since I’m a Zelda fan, I’m kinda disappointed.

I rather have Nintendo use their resources and make a new story instead of remaking a Zelda game. I find it a cheap way to keep fans entertained and keep the cash flow going.

When I think about it, I even considered ALBW a partial remake back in 2013. The way I see it is we only had two original games since 2011 with one of the games, TFH, being a small scale adventure.

I’m hoping this remake introduces new characters, side quests, etc I’m not holding out for it.

Honestly, the only Zelda game I would like to see completely remade is AoL but I know that will never happen since it doesn’t have a strong fan base like LA.
    • GregariousTree wrote:

@Please Understand No, I agree that it's charming. So is the New Super Mario Bros style. As I said in my first post, it is growing on me. It's just that it doesn't feel very faithful to the original, and everything looks a bit too... clean, if that makes sense? The original looks almost dreamlike or like a coloring book, while this looks shiny and new and toy-like, as people have been saying. It looks designed rather than dreamed up. I don't know if that makes sense. It feels less impactful to me, less like a lived in world. But of course I'm basing that assessment on only a minute of gameplay and also I'm comparing something new to something from my childhood.

It reminds me of the Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake. I was super excited until I realized that they were replacing the unique art style with models that were pretty much in line with the NSMB aesthetic. I feel like it lost something it didn't need to lose. This new style for LA reminds me more of ALBW than the original game. It's a shame, but I think I'll still end up enjoying the ggame.
      Yeah I completely get where you are coming from. I think that's why they went with this toyish artstyle to begin with, because otherwise the game wouldn't look good if they didn't fill all the details which they probably couldn't on their budget/time they needed to deliver this project on.

The original, being on a crappy small screen with big pixels / blocks in their design left more to the imagination. In this one, everything is clearly rendered super cleanly and as such the lack of overall detail is very obvious. I am also not a fan of this lighting model for an otherwise faithful remake when it comes to gameplay. But it does look good for what it is, so I am not complaining.

Also something to note for this artstyle:

I think it does look more fitting with the Chain Chomps compared to something like BotW, or even WW. LA was a bit of a strange mishmash to begin with so at least this art style allows them to play around with all those assets that normally wouldn't be in the same game (Goombas in Zelda?) Without looking too out of place. I can see why they would choose this on that basis.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• My mind is definitely blown. I thought Link's Awakening was pretty much dead to Nintendo. I never in a million years thought it would get a remake. Every time the speculation about it circulated, I scoffed. I'm glad to be proven wrong, and I hope it means that they might be willing to take some stylistic cues from LA for new, future Zelda games too. LA is my favorite game of all time, easily. I'm pretty fucking excited.

That said, I echo the complaints about the art style. I don't like it. Let me explain why.

The original game's graphics were, of course, kinda similar to these: chubby characters, dot eyes, etc. I totally understand why Nintendo is using this new art style: it kinda matches ok with the actual, literal 4-tone black and white style of the original. But the original game had an iconic style, like stick figures, where it was so lacking in detail that it was more like looking at symbols on a map than an actual rendered world. That lack of detail meant that you could fill it in mentally with images of your own.

And when I played the game back in 1994, when my brain filled in the gaps of that iconic style, I pictured this:

This new art style clashes with that. It is NOT the Koholint Island I remember and love. I would have preferred something more in line with the original concept art, which is the closest thing we had to a real rendering of the characters and the world back then. And that's what the animation at the beginning of the trailer looked like!

In addition to that clashing style, I generally dislike the plastic toys-to-life look. The realistic-ish lighting and camera effects combined with the super stylized cartoony models. It... distances me from being immersed in the world. The art screams "I'm a pile of toys!" instead of "I'm a luscious world to get lost in" that I'd get from a more cartoon style. I'd much prefer if they dropped the lighting and camera fade and used flatter lighting when rendering, like ALBW did.

All that said... I'm still real excited.
      Pronouns: He/Him

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• HeroOfTime5 wrote:

While I’m excited and I’m going to buy the game since I’m a Zelda fan, I’m kinda disappointed.

I rather have Nintendo use their resources and make a new story instead of remaking a Zelda game. I find it a cheap way to keep fans entertained and keep the cash flow going.

When I think about it, I even considered ALBW a partial remake back in 2013. The way I see it is we only had two original games since 2011 with one of the games, TFH, being a small scale adventure.

I’m hoping this remake introduces new characters, side quests, etc I’m not holding out for it.

Honestly, the only Zelda game I would like to see completely remade is AoL but I know that will never happen since it doesn’t have a strong fan base like LA.
      Eh, remakes allow for quality-of-life improvements and ports to new systems that make classics more accessible for people.

Complete remakes like this also aren't really "cheap", a new engine, new art assets, etc. mean that you have to go through the entire design process again. The end result may look somewhat similar, but that doesn't mean that it was quick and easy to do.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • Yeah. It's still cheaper and easier than an actual brand new game, but it's not as much cheaper as most people think.

And in some ways, remakes can be harder, if you're trying to stay true to the originals. You gotta make sure everything feels true, and sometimes that requires lots of problem solving and research, because you aren't trying to match what the original game was - you're trying to match how people remember it.

This Iwata Asks interview on OoT 3d covers that topic a bit. It's fascinating. Some choice tidbits:

We sped up revealing it and had Ikuta-san and others try out parts of it. We would ask how it differed from what they had imagined, and then we would fix it. One conflict arose when, as programmers, we wanted to get rid of bugs. But the staff members who had played the old game said the bugs were fun! We were like, "What?!" (laughs)
      Problems arise when recreating the original Z-targeting mark5 in the stereoscopic space of the Nintendo 3DS system. When you lock on in the original, it looks like a person hiding behind another comes to the front, but in 3D, the perspective breaks down. So for the Nintendo 3DS system, we adjusted it so the mark becomes semitransparent when there's depth involved, so the visual sense of distance is preserved.
      Iwata: It was not easy to change the frame rate of the software created in the past. Especially considering that the original game included different frame rates between the heavier and lighter processing parts.

Moriya: That's right. When there was a number assuming a processing delay, we held our heads in dismay!

Tonooka: With regard to collision detection8 between Link and monsters, the original was 20 times in 1 second, but this time it's 30 times and the movement is smoother. But Ikuta-san said, "Isn't it more difficult than before?" I had tried to program it so the difficulty wouldn't change, but the more precise collision detection had changed the way it feels. So I was careful about such things to make sure it felt as similar to the original as possible.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Max N. ().

• Even if you accept the plastic-y look of the game (which I certainly do not), the replication of assets looks ridiculous in three dimensions. The brambles in the swamp, for example, look like someone got out their Koholint Island Lego set and put a bunch of interchangeable bramble pieces in their place. It's lazy.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I mean it looks lazy.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

• I guess my point is that they're clearly choosing, for better or for worse, to try to ape the feel and proportions of the original game's art in this new, higher-detail style. I don't think that actually makes anything easier for them. Possibly harder.

Max N. wrote:

The original game's graphics were, of course, kinda similar to these: chubby characters, dot eyes, etc. I totally understand why Nintendo is using this new art style: it kinda matches ok with the actual, literal 4-tone black and white style of the original. But the original game had an iconic style, like stick figures, where it was so lacking in detail that it was more like looking at symbols on a map than an actual rendered world. That lack of detail meant that you could fill it in mentally with images of your own.

I agree though, I don't think it's actually a good idea to cleave so close to the literal nature of original sprites, instead of leaning more into the spirit of the world based on stuff like concept art, etc.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Max N. ().

• I was either eight or nine, for what it's worth (when I first played Link's Awakening DX, that is).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• If anyone was disappointed by the artstyle after seeing the anime intro, just imagine watching the trailer for the Oracle games before seeing what they actually look like.

I like the look of it! I thought it was ALBW's artsyle at first, but it has more of that Yoshi aesthetic. Link's crafted world, as you will. The lighting and shaders are definitely a notch up from that of ALBW.
      This is the barnyard of violence! This is the barnyard of violence!
    • I personally love what I'm seeing visually, I find the clay art style different and appealing in comparison to the rut Nintendo seems to be in sometimes when it comes to visuals (not really for the bigger games like Mario Odyssey and BotW, but a lot of the smaller less anticipated titles which sometimes blend together in my mind rather than creating an image that sticks to me.) They tried something different and it landed perfectly for me, loved the art style from the first second and I can't wait to see how the different environments and enemies look in this style.

This isn't what Nintendo usually does and I love that, I would've been bored of what I would've expected which is "here's LA but in Toon Link style enjoy".

I love how I'm usually the one who is (I believe fairly) harsh on Nintendo and now the roles have reversed and I'm the one who is totally on board for this game, whereas most members of this site seem to be disappointed :v: