Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Ancient Astronaut Theory's Influence on BotW
    • BotW is strongly influenced by Ancient Astronaut Theory (the idea that aliens visited earth in ancient times).

      The Sheikah Tapestry owned by Impa and Zonai architechture have a very Mayan feel about them.



      The monk figures in the top right bear an uncanny resemblance to the Mayan King Pakal, as depicted on the lid of his tomb.



      Most researchers suggest that this carving depicts Pakal and the Tree of Life. Ancient Astronaut Theorists (AAT from here on out) suggest that Pakal is riding a rocket. His hands seem to operate machinery, and there seems to be exhaust coming from the apparatus under his bum.

      In the tapestry, the Sheikah appear to be assembling the slate instead of riding rockets, but to me the artistic reference is pretty clear.

      Our next point: Vimanas. I'm not well-versed enough to describe Vimanas' actual origin in ancient Hindu texts, but AAT often describe them as "chariots of the gods". Some were said to be more like traditional chariots, pulled by horses or other animals but capable of flying. Some are described more like "mechanical birds" or flying machines. Some are described as the size of temples, and have gods living inside of them. AAT like to point out that sometimes they are said to be capable of firing massive beam weapons.... The Divine Beasts are clearly inspired by Vimanas. Commonly, vimanas are cone-shaped, like the final DLC dungeon. There's also concept art in CC for the Master Cycle Zero that shows a model that's kind of just a flying cone.

      The last stop on our journey is ancient Japan, to talk about Dogu figurines. These were made by the same makers of Jomon pottery, often cited as an artistic influence for LoZ (SS and BotW mostly come to mind).



      Oh, hi Cherry! How are you??

      Additionally, the Blights resemble Dogu figures. Interestingly, the Blights have broken legs and malformed bodies. One theory on the purpose of Dogu is that they were ritualistically broken to heal ailments. Does this symbolize Ganon's hope that this plan would finally help him revive?

      Edit: Forgot to mention that AAT often claim Dogu are figures of astronauts. Some seem to wear "goggles", or have elaborate suits claimed to be space suits.

      Also, UFO's in early teasers of the game.

      I'd honestly be surprised if Nintendo came out and said that ancient aliens were canon. I think the inspiration is more subtle, but it's definitely interesting and might have more to offer us.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Velivolo ().

    • Honestly with that evidence we got a solid crackpot theory that ancient Sheikah took residence in space and came back to defeat the calamity.

      Kinda like aliens but more like astronauts that spent a long while to come back.

      Honestly the mummified monks aren't that far off from grey bugeyed ETs.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

    • gamtos wrote:

      Honestly with that evidence we got a solid crackpot theory that ancient Sheikah took residence in space and came back to defeat the calamity.

      Kinda like aliens but more like astronauts that spent a long while to come back.

      Honestly the mummified monks aren't that far off from grey bugeyed ETs.
      It is kinda weird how the Sheikah are always "in the shadows" assassinating people and influencing things. If the Sheikah aren't astronauts themselves, they could be a race created by astronauts (aliens genetically modifying humans for their own purposes is another AAT favorite). Would explain some things about the Sheikah, like their distinct looks, long age, and relative abundance of knowledge.

      Almost kinda seems like the goddesses could be the aliens. We're winning AAT bingo. They often say that Sumerian gods, the Annunaki, are definitely aliens.

      I can't remember whether this was just concept art or if it made it in the game, but I definitely remember monks with elongated skulls. Some human societies did this by binding infants' heads. AAT like to say that this practice was inspired by aliens (presumably, typical big-headed "greys").

      ... Anyone else glad we got the Master Cycle Zero we did instead of the tiniest vimana ever? Lol.
    • Velivolo wrote:

      Most researchers suggest that this carving depicts Pakal and the Tree of Life.
      It is more than a sugestion :) , It is a claim that have strong evidences in it's favor. For instance, we can very identify all aspect of the Mayan tree of life on this carving. Including the celestial bird, the "vision snake" and the jaw of the underworld monster.

      PS: note that it shows how old is the "World Tree" image in human perception of the world.
      Because when looking at the Nordic world Tree, we also have a tree with a monster at it's bottom and a bird at its top (indeed, the two have evolved separately and shows many many specifities that defferentiate them). Whereas, these two civilisation have never been in contact (if the distance separation of the two cultures is not enough for you, note that there is no sign of trade between them) since several millenia in the past.

      Velivolo wrote:

      Ancient Astronaut Theorists (AAT from here on out) suggest that Pakal is riding a rocket.
      This claim however ... it is as interesting than the "well known" egyptian hyeroglyph pareidolia (meaning: garbage).

      Velivolo wrote:

      Our next point: Vimanas. I'm not well-versed enough to describe Vimanas' actual origin in ancient Hindu texts
      Vimanas are "chariot of gods" in the Mahabarata.
      The terms appear in the older Rig Veda, but didn't have yet its signification of "chariot", it appears and stand for the verb :"to measure"/"to cross".
      All texts "describing" Vimanas as technological engines are from modern writtings (or strongly oriented traductions).

      Velivolo wrote:

      The Divine Beasts are clearly inspired by Vimanas.
      On that line, we could say that Divine Beast are inspired by any SF mechanical engine.
      We could easily claim Star-Wars inpiration following these arguments.
      So BotW have clear SF orientation, but it lack the link "Gods-Aliens" to refer to Ancient Astronaut Bullshit.
      Technically, BotW is not at all speaking of extra-Hyrulean being.
      I think the "apparent reference" you are seing is just coming from the antiquity-like ruins + technology + mythology combo.
      One could claim it is a reference to "Atlantis bullshit" as well.
      It is mainly a post-apocalyptic setting.

      So yet, I think there is too little evidences to claim for "inspiration".

      Velivolo wrote:

      These were made by the same makers of Jomon pottery, often cited as an artistic influence for LoZ
      That's it is clearly the case :) . Very nice piece of arts these potteries.


      So I think it is pretty clear that devs like a lot to play with ancient golden age in the Zelda franchise.
      Long-lost technologie is a big part of it.
      Zelda world is almost always a post-apocalyptic world.

      Also, they clearly took insparation from real-life ruins to design the Zonai one (In fact the number of details about these ruins is amazing for something they are not using for plot elements and that is not referencing previous games).
      However, I think there is no specific references to the Ancient Astronaut Bullshit.
      At the end, the BotW is never speaking of space.

      Golden Godesses might in some extend be seen as very advanced creature instead of gods. But it ends there.
      In fact by definition, a "god" can always just be a "powerful creature".
      The property "god" for a being can only be tested/validated if the one performing the test is a god himself.
      So basically:
      -Creatures named gods in Zelda universe have an objective existence.
      -Claiming gods to be aliens is always possible, as the claim "being a god" is not a falsiable one for a mortal.

      PS2: Note that Zelda-world is a bit confusing about what they call "god", it apply to a large range of being. And by calling bokoblins "demons" they are making it worst, because the meaning of "demon" is originally: "being of divine nature".

      If having some Zelda elements in space in a future installement might be a good idea, we don't have yet conclusive elements to say that the devs want to refer to an aliens-intervention in Zelda-world.
    • I argued in an old theory thread of mine that maps in BotW seem to imply that the Shiekah have access to satellite technology.

      I don't know about them being aliens, but their tech is certainly much more advanced than anything else in Hyrule's medieval stasis world, and in some cases, even more advanced than what we're capable of in RL, unless somebody's built giant animal mechs that I don't know about.

      As Arthur C. Clark once said, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". I definitely think BotW's developers took that quote to heart when designing the Shiekah tech for the game.


      BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • Violetlight wrote:

      unless somebody's built giant animal mechs that I don't know about.
      Dutch Wind Sculptures

      We're getting there.

      ---------------

      The Sheikah don't necessarily have to make it all the way to space, just low orbit. The city in the sky certainly proves they have anti gravity tech of some kind, as does Vah Medoh and the floating platform that is the 5th Divine Beast to name a few.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by MORPHRELINK ().

    • Violetlight wrote:

      I definitely think BotW's developers took that quote to heart when designing the Shiekah tech for the game.
      It is also shown by the design of Fi in SS which is very "robot-like".
      Clearly they are playing with the magic/high-tech confusion a lot.
      It to be extra-hyrulean has not been hinted yet.
      So it is a possibility for future games, but I also think that they want to let this confusion, to let it open to the player imagination.
    • @Guiguitargz

      I feel you've been a bit rude. At no point have I endorsed or said I believe in Ancient Astronaut Theory, and in fact I don't. I simply find the cognitive dissonance between real history and some people's interpretation fascinating. To that end, I really enjoy ancient alien content, but believe in none of it.

      Of course Pakal's tomb depicts the tree of life. However, some misguided people do see him operating a rocket. The stances of the two figures are very similar regardless. Note the near-sitting position and staggered arms. I feel that this artistic reference stands.

      Same for vimanas. In Hindu texts they ARE mentioned as palaces/temples or places for gods to live. And aren't dungeons in LoZ frequently temples? So the DB are moving temples, with pilots who dwell there (as ghosts, after their unfortunate demise). How are they not vimanas? A generic sci-fi vehicle or engine wouldn't have this odd "temple" connotation. Also mind you that the Blights are Dogu figures themselves, perhaps pushing an AAT connection.

      I'm glad we agree about Jomon pottery. Even a shallow investigation into Dogu figures will often turn up crackpot AAT sources, so I would think Zelda's designers know how they are perceived by some people.

      Regardless of whether Ancient Astronaut Theory is believable or valid (as it often, often isn't), it's clear it had deep influences on BotW.
    • The Divine Beasts are conflated with gods. It's in the name, but there are even a few examples of people saying it:

      Lashley wrote:

      That's the Divine Beast Vah Naboris. They say it used to be a god who protected this area
      There's also talk of "appeasing" the Divine Beasts where we would probably say "hacking." I got an Ancient Astronauts vibe from some of it, too, though I don't know whether that's a matter of inspiration or just similarity.

      That being said, the setting in broad strokes is less Ancient Astronauts and more Atlantis -- a lost, advanced human civilization.
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Velivolo wrote:

      I feel you've been a bit rude.
      Not at all, just giving some small precisions.
      Words are important, a "suggestion" is not the same than a "well desmonstrated conclusion".
      Same, a "scientific theory" is no mere "theory" from common language (which is merged with "hypothesis" in the current language).
      Just looking around here you'll see how people are a bit confused about this :(.

      Velivolo wrote:

      Regardless of whether Ancient Astronaut Theory is believable or valid (as it often, often isn't), it's clear it had deep influences on BotW.
      I don't find this connection that clear (in fact not clear at all), for the reasons I stated before.
      I think you're just making the link because of the "Antiquity-Technology-Mistery" combo.
      Which didn't means "aliens", as I said, you could go for Atlantis, Agartha, ... as your favorite fantaisy-lore.
      For me nothing point toward a clear "alien" influence, only with a long-lost golden age shrouded in mistery (standard post-apocalyptic setting).

      So, from my POV, nice headcanon, but lack of conclusive fact to look like a deliberated intention.
    • Guiguitargz wrote:

      I don't find this connection that clear (in fact not clear at all), for the reasons I stated before.
      I think you're just making the link because of the "Antiquity-Technology-Mistery" combo.
      Your reasons above are "Ancient Astronaut Theory isn't real; Therefore, this cannot be based on it."

      Which, as I've gone over in depth, we agree on Part 1. Ancient Astronaut Theory is silly and not a scientific theory in any regard. It's just fun.

      Part 2 of your argument is garbage. Anyone can make media inspired by fictional ideas. It's not less valid, for some reason.

      You have not refuted that the Sheikah figure on the tapestry looks like Pakal, that the DB match crackpot descriptions of Vimanas to a tee, or the multiple Dogu figures. Or the actual UFO in concept art. Which is all good evidence.
    • Velivolo wrote:

      Your reasons above are "Ancient Astronaut Theory isn't real; Therefore, this cannot be based on it."
      If I may interject, I don't think the two are actually related. Guiguitargz was making two points:
      1. Ancient Astronaut theories are baseless.
      2. There isn't enough evidence to say that BotW was inspired by the Ancient Astronaut theory.
      Point 1 was technically unnecessary since no one here is claiming that Ancient Astronaut theories are right, but I guess Guiguitargs thought you were giving them too much credit by your phrasing.

      Point 2 is the actual response to the main point of your post.

      Edit: Also, Guiguitargz seems to be focused on the core concept of the theories -- astronauts -- while you're talking more about the imagery involved than the literal presence of alien life (flying saucer concept art aside). It seems like you two are talking past each other a bit.
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

    • Okay, so I'm not a academic, or a scientist, but I know quite a lot about Proto-Indo European religions, (also a bit about language transfer), I'll start off with the fact that the Ancient Astronaut "Theory" is not a theory, but conjectures by people who don't know much about culture, anthropology, science (I'll stop it here but it's a really long list)

      Now it's time to embrace tin foil and wear my anti-mind reading cap.

      What if the Golden Goddesses aren't gods but extra dimensional beings, that appeared in a universe right after the big bang. Decided to give Order to matter, created the laws of physics and then seeded their creation with life.

      Do I have supporting evidence? Nope but I have a vague feeling so I'm willing to die on this hill.

      (I'm not making fun of you OP)
    • That doesn't really adress anything about the OP.
      Can y'all stop flexing on how well you know Ancient Alien conspiracy theories are fake and acknowledge they still have a significant cultural impact?


      Take Claydoll the Pokémon. It's "modeled by the ancients after something that descended from the sky".



      And now we got the Jomon era, particularly its pottery, being used as a model for technology that is, pardon the pun, alien to the series. Would people unfamiliar to AA really link Jomon pottery with magitech?
      And yeah, Cherry is definitely a dogu statue.

      All the OP is saying is that, from a Doylian perspective, it's likely Ancient Astronauts """"theory"""" (quotation marks because y'all go bonkers over semantics) inspired BotW.

      It's like we're arguing about whether or not Wolfos are based on werewolves.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

      Post by Tuf Pic ().

      This post was deleted by Big Daddy Biggles: Not relevant ().