Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Superbowl sucked and here's why: my lukewarm take
    • During the game and immediately following the game the commentators were pushing the narrative to the audience that they shouldn't believe their lying eyes. No, the Superbowl didn't suck! It was a defensive/ coaching masterpiece and implicitly if you disagree you don't understand real football... No... just no. This game was not a defensive masterpiece, it was a show of ineptitude by 2 offenses. Bill Belichick coached an excellent game, but Sean McVay choked. You want to see a defensive masterpiece watch the Superbowl 50 Broncos/Panthers game where Von Miller almost singlehandedly defeated the Panthers and took over the game.

Why did Sean McVay choke, he was too clever by half. He comes into the game with the best RB in the game in Todd Gurley and Gurley only gets 10 carries, he also has one of the best backup RBs in the game in CJ Anderson who in his own right would be a starter on most other teams he only got 7 carries (he was good enough to take the Broncos starting job as a undrafted player taking it away from 2 players who were mid to high round picks and were above him on the depth chart and has a career rushing average of 4.5 YPC.) Coming into the game he thought Belichick would be expecting his offense to be run heavy so he tried to trick the Patriots by abandoning his strength and putting the game on Goff's arm, a dumb decision. On the defensive side he refused to make adjustments and kept Edelman in single soft coverage the whole game which is why Brady was able to connect with him and only him on a consistent basis. This is why McVay lost, he didn't coach a good game.

Tom Brady is clearly on the decline, he makes bad decisions and can't make all the throws he used to. He for the most part played a bad game outside of wide open Edelman throws and that one throw to Gronk at the end of the game. I think Brady realizes this, now whether he'll make the intelligent decision like Peyton Manning did or let his ego get the better of him is a different question, but hall of fame caliber Tom Brady is done, he is now an above average QB, still good but not great.

The average regular season game has better execution than this game, which is why the Superbowl sucked.
    • If Tom Brady is average, how did they get to the Super Bowl? It's all coaching?

They feature a seemingly different cast of characters every year, except for Tom Brady and maybe Gronkowski. But Gronkowski arguably declined more than Brady this year. Julian Edelman had a great post-season and is a clutch player, but would anybody have put him as a top 10 WR going into the playoffs?

This was a Patriots team that while obviously well coached and highly experienced, didn't have much star power. At best, there are three household names on the team, and one is the coach.

It was a boring super bowl but I'm not sure how you can come away with any sentiment other than Brady is the best and most accomplished QB ever. Anything other than that is just sour grapes/jealousy.

The Rams shouldn't have been in the Super Bowl anyway. The non-call on the PI in the NFCC was beyond ludicrous. Forget PI, it was malicious a hit on a defenseless receiver by a CB not even pretending to play the ball. Of all the ticky-tack or otherwise phantom penalties, they don't call that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bill ().

• Bill wrote:

It was a boring super bowl but I'm not sure how you can come away with any sentiment other than Brady is the best and most accomplished QB ever. Anything other than that is just sour grapes/jealousy.
      Oh, I acknowledge that Brady is the best QB ever, I just disagree that he's still at that level. There are a number for QBs I'd say are better than 2019 Tom Brady. I'm not talking about the entirety of Brady's career, but just this year.

And this year, yeah it was mostly Belichick. I watched a few regular season Patriots games this year and Brady wasn't his typical clutch self. There was a time when if the Patriots were down by 1 score in the 4th quarter, my assumption would be "okay the Patriots won this game and Brady will make some crazy play to do it", now they can't lean on him anymore like they used to and Belichick to his credit realizes this and doesn't lean on Brady, he plays to Brady's strengths.

Brady had a poor performing postseason by his standards (maybe the worst of his career) and still won because of excellent coaching, meanwhile McVay had the best RB in the league and one of the best #2 RBs and refused to call running plays.
    • As a "defense wins championships" guy, I acknowledge that Brady is a constant in the Patriots' 20 yrs of success but having said that a QB is still only as good as his O line. But it goes deeper than that. This is basic fundamentals here, football is a team sport. It's this mentality that the QB is the whole team that causes rule changes against defensive performance. Not just recently, in 1933, 1940, and beyond rules were tweaked over and over to encourage more offensive scoring. It's why we have the 2 pts conversion and why they legalised the radio headset in the mid 1990s. It's why players were allowed to use stickum and then gloves were introduced to make the ball easier to catch. And while recent rule changes against defenses are because of lawsuits and such there is still this outcry from fans of "more offensive scoring or I won't watch" while these same people complain the league is becoming too soft. You literally cannot have both.

I can see where some people are coming from, that it wasn't the defensive battle its whipped up to be because neither defense scored actual points, but at the same time I have to point out that the point to football was not only to score but also to prevent the other team from scoring more than you. Pitching a shutout used to be a sign of your team being good. Now it's just seen as "well the other offense just wasn't any good." Of course when a defense plays well, the opposing offense is gonna perform badly. That is the point to the defensive side of the ball. Putting pressure on the line/QB makes players think too much and wait too long or think too little and panic. Keeping receivers covered, no matter how much time the passer has, will affect his decision making abilities. Hitting the passer enough times will make him paranoid. Of course neither offense played to their "potential", because both defenses were disruptive and inclined to make stops. Especially considering how mediocre/godawful both defenses were all year long, against 2 of the best offenses each team's defense performed for better than they showed all year they've been capable of.

Bottom line: Both TEAMS played their best/peak game in the SB. I know Twitter/fb/instagram/media made it out to be Goff vs Brady, but the reality is it was Rams vs Patriots. The lawsuits against the NFL are a hard hit to the league, but slowly killing it is this mentality that offense is everything in football. It's like a malignant cancer. Special teams has already been diminished to a very small part of the game, and it's still shrinking what with taking away the kickoff and maybe even other kicking plays, but now the NFL (and the NCAA & pretty much all lower levels) are diminishing the defensive side of the ball and making the sport into two-hand touch, pass happy basketball-esque scoring game. Honestly, why don't they just get it over with already and just remove defense and kicking from the game, and have each offense take turns taking the field and performing the best looking scoring plays for judges to rank. Seems to be more our speed nowadays.

/rant

Bill wrote:

The Rams shouldn't have been in the Super Bowl anyway. The non-call on the PI in the NFCC was beyond ludicrous. Forget PI, it was malicious a hit on a defenseless receiver by a CB not even pretending to play the ball. Of all the ticky-tack or otherwise phantom penalties, they don't call that.
      Before this drive, AJ Klein grabbed Jared Goff's facemask which - if caught by the refs - would've put LA at the one yd line 1st & goal. Went uncalled, Rams settled for a FG to tie the game. There was at least one other facemask that went uncalled earlier than that committed by the Saints. Saints got bailed out more than once in that game after blowing a 13 pt lead. They had their chances.

Rams absolutely belonged in the Super Bowl.