Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Spy Thriller Mafia - Hub
    • I think Mafia played a very solid game. The thing I kept getting frustrated by watching the game go on was how players seemed to be struggling to make a stand with any real conviction. Instead it seemed players - especially town - seemed more interested in defending their voting habit from the previous day instead of pushing on forward.

I think the biggest thing town in general has going against it which smart Mafia players have been taking advantage of is the fear to be accused as anti-town. They aren’t as assertive and seem to be focused more on staying alive. There isn’t also as much going on in the thread as time goes on to look at not how players have been voting but what they’ve been saying. There is a lot being said between the lines if you know where to look.

Also I think people have been correlating anti-town and mafia as the same thing. It’s not. You can do things which are anti-town (which is why Realm was lynched - not voting Day 1, lack of participation, not reading the thread) but still was a town player. You can be pro-town (generating good content, making good arguments, pointing out flawed logic) and still be mafia. There are things mafia would strive for more (easy lynch and control of town) which are better markers to look out for.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • So I reviewed every conversation and followed the results of my night actions... I am responsible for half the killings of the town. I murdered Tingle, I murdered Kae, and I led the wagon on Realm. Yikes!

To be fair, Kae was going to die regardless that night but man oh man did I just **** the bed on this one haha. Honestly if I hadn't used my roles, the game would still be up. I genuinely felt I made good decisions all throughout the game originally but yikes. Like let that sink in for a moment, if Sabbo couldn't have found a replacement for Gregarious and he was mod killed, the game probably could have been up still. My avatar cannot be more accurate haha.

Knowing who Mafia is right now makes everything more clear now and I'm honestly shocked to not see Monika on that list. Big big big props to Lady Sunshine, you played me like a fiddle like I played my self gunning for Realm. As always, I take full (or a great deal of the) responsibility in the loss of the town. I had a lot of fun. It was my first game in months and though I didn't do well, I think I improved a little?

It was such a well crafted game. I love the experimentation of certain modifiers and roles. I'm always fascinated by the hated modifier, I already had it in a game I was finishing off while playing this one (which I may post up later in the mafia thread). I know that I had the option of not using my role but when I saw my options, I thought I was making the right decision. Well I think I counted the votes wrong maybe or it was random since there were the same votes for Tingle, Monika, and Kae in Night 1. I just was suspicious of Kae and Monika the entire game, as I attempted to kill one of them on the first night.

Really enjoyed my week with the game.
      I'm hosting a Mafia game on Zu! It's based on the hit 1992 film, Reservoir Dogs! You should totally sign up and play this totally radtacular game!
      Mafia XX?V?: Reservoir Cats - SIGN UP
    • Thank you @Sabbo for creating a fun game! The theme was wonderful and I liked your experimental roles.

@Aquamentus this is my 100th game and I feel the same way you do. I personally don't think I've improved one bit. You were a great contributor and that alone made the game much more fun.

@Monika I feel most guilty for being snippy with you, please forgive me my friend. I just felt like you were gut lynching me and I was mad I was playing that anti-town. The modifiers kinda messed with my reads a bit too, I felt super derp.

&&lastly, to the winning "team", buncha in-your-face americans, you could've learned some class if you had spent more time with us.
    • Kae wrote:

@Monika I feel most guilty for being snippy with you, please forgive me my friend. I just felt like you were gut lynching me and I was mad I was playing that anti-town. The modifiers kinda messed with my reads a bit too, I felt super derp.
      I do forgive you, friend. Legit if I get your address I'll still send you chocolate just because I luv u bb ♥

Thank you, Sabbo, for taking the time to create this game. I'm playing on-and-off and this was definitely a good one to come back to!
    • I'm happy to see that my experimental roles were well-received.

Aquamentus wrote:

Well I think I counted the votes wrong maybe or it was random since there were the same votes for Tingle, Monika, and Kae in Night 1.
      You weren't looking at the right number. Here's what the votes looked like at end of day 1:

Lady Sunshine votes gerudoyoshi
      Ruki votes Kae
      Kae votes Medli
      TingleMakesMeTingle votes Fin
      Big Daddy Biggles votes Medli
      Rambo votes Medli
      GuardianFIN votes Monika
      Romano-British Medli votes Fin
      GregariousTree
      gerudoyoshi
      Monika votes Medli
      Realmwings

Or written in the standard form (in full):

Medli: Kae, BDB, Rambo, Rambo, Monika (5)
      Fin: Tingle, Medli (2)
      gerudoyoshi: LS, gerudoyoshi (2)
      Kae: Ruki (1)
      Monika: Fin (1)
      Gregarious: Gregarious (1)
      Realm: Realm (1)
      LS (0)
      Ruki (0)
      Tingle (0)
      BDB (0)
      Rambo (0)

You were looking at the 1s, not the 0s.
    • Speaking of Night 1 though... did it occur to anybody that my modpost stating that nobody targeted an American on the first night caused every player except Rambo, Kae & Fin (doesn't target, jailed, driven) to basically be alignment cops with a town result on whoever they had targeted? Don't underestimate town results.

Also also (and I won't bother making a new post for this one), if anybody was curious about the SNARF values for every role, it went like this:

Jailkeeper (block) - 40
      Alignment Cop - 50
      Hater - 50
      Bus Driver - 55
      Jailkeeper (heal) - 60
      Unrequited Lover - 70
      Executioner/Hitman - 80
      Mafia kill - 80
      Lie Detector - 100
      Tracker - 100
      Watcher - 100
      Rolecop - 100
      Investigator - 110

Doublevoter - n/a

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sabbo ().

• Good game everybody! I always worry playing against Monika because he likes to pull last minute gambits so in the final few minutes of the day I was waiting to see if he did something crazy.

Kae wrote:

@Big Daddy Biggles do you have the towns best interest at heart?
      As soon as I read this Kae, I knew you had some sort of lie detection ability, hence why I tried answering as vaguely as possible while still seeming town.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • Hey guys! Quick thoughts:

idk about bdb or rambo or romano but my thought was - get rid of the most powerful veteran town players first. ruki and kae are both persuasive players. They're good. People follow them. Eliminate them first and everything becomes a lot more unsteady.

I wish I had most time to post more in general and the week really got away from me. It wasn't anything to do with sliding under the radar, as aqua had mentioned. Sometimes it's a good strategy but I'm not the biggest fan of it myself.

I could've played better I think. I don't think I'm that good at mafia so I felt like I was grasping at straws and missed a ton of sub context this time around especially with the hated modifier stuff. Reading Sabbo's descriptions after the fact really helped me understand what was going on big in game I was like.. huh?

I'm curious to see just how much the game would've changed if Lysis' role had been in. Sabbo claims this game was supposed to be stacked against mafia a bit, and in his explanations I can totally see it. But in game it felt.. not that way at all. I think losing town veteran power players was a huge reason. I think we also got lucky. and I don't think in general there was enough activity but I'm honestly not sure if that's anyone's fault or just the tone of the game.

I stated this in game and it holds true: regardless of the team I'm on, I hate uncontested wagons or being forced onto one. I hate when there isn't tension or that feeling 15 or less minutes until EoD where people are second guessing and jumping and all of that. To me that is the essence of this game, that excitement, that last minute hectic gamble where the flip is almost unknown until its there. Plus the next morning it gives to much to look at and try to unwind and idk! It's fun!

Sabbo, this was a great way for me to feel roped into a mafia game. I think the modifiers were fun and I liked playing with a newer group. I thought @GuardianFIN, and @TingleMakesMeTingle, and @Aquamentus were really fun to play with and really good. I know they aren't all new to the game but I don't remember playing a ton with any of them (sorry guys if we have memory is shot) and I was pleased. I hope you all stick around for more games in the future.

Thanks everyone! <3

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
      | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• @GuardianFIN - I just want to say sorry for using your inexperience against you.

You had a role that was legit and (from what Sabbo said), named a bit confusing which gave me the leverage to push for you looking scummy.

Had someone like Ruki had that role it would have been much more difficult to push a lynch on her based on that.

I hope you still enjoyed your time playing and will continue to join games in the future!

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • @Sabbo
      First and foremost, thank you for great game, I really appreciate that you put effort and time to renew the formula. It's always a pleasure joining your games

@Lady Sunshine & @Big Daddy Biggles
      It was fun playing with you. It might get heated in the game, but what happens im Mafia, stays in Mafia. No hard feelings, Danger Biggles
      That's a great way to learn.

In general, it takes me some time to recover from a game like this, it's very time intensive for me, I use all my free time (and steal a bit from the family too) and I go through decent range of emotions through out the game. Ranging for real from joy off success and"I knew it!" all the way to self-doubt, self-loathing and feeling of inferiority and worthlessness.
      I know, I'm rather hard on myself

But this def won't be my last game. Depending how fast next game will be voted, I might have to pass that tho

Thanks for all, it was nice to play with you all.
      I'd like to give extra credit for playing along and giving a try for @Romano-British Medli and @TingleMakesMeTingle
      Thanks for being around, sadly just so shortly
    • Lady Sunshine wrote:

I'm curious to see just how much the game would've changed if Lysis' role had been in. Sabbo claims this game was supposed to be stacked against mafia a bit, and in his explanations I can totally see it. But in game it felt.. not that way at all. I think losing town veteran power players was a huge reason. I think we also got lucky. and I don't think in general there was enough activity but I'm honestly not sure if that's anyone's fault or just the tone of the game.
      I had a theory about that too - the mafia was lucky enough to get three very experienced players in it, so you were still in a good position almost regardless of your roles. Switch BDB to be a roleblocker and you/Rambo/Medli to goons and the game would have played out almost exactly the same.