Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Visual Novel Discussion (Previously The House in Fata Morgana)
    • But there are those who would say,
      "You were able to bear them because they weren't your tragedies."

So, I've talked about this game a bit in the "What game(s) are you currently playing?" thread (specifically Chapters 1 and 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4) but thought it was worth having its own thread.

I'm not finished yet, I just started chapter 7, but it's been a hell of a ride and I want to talk about what it's done so far, and have a place to record my thoughts when I'm done. It'd also be great if anyone else who had played this wanted to chime in, or if people who are curious wanted to ask questions about it.

First off, an introduction: The House in Fata Morgana is a visual novel with a heavy Gothic Horror style. You wake up in a decrepit mansion with amnesia (natch). You don't know who you are, you don't know what this house is, and you don't know anything about this maid who is calling you "master". The Maid decides that the best cure for your amnesia is to take you through the history of the house, for it has stood for a very long time, and perhaps by showing you the stories that played out within its walls you will regain yourself. Only...the house is cursed, and the stories are tragedies.

You are then lead to the various ages of the house, times of grandeur and times of decay, from the middle ages to the age of steam, watching people living their lives within its walls.

If that's all the game was it'd be interesting enough, little vignettes that quickly establish characters and motivations and then play out their stories, but it's much more than that. The second vignette especially raises interesting questions and refuses to give easy answers. Even beyond that, there is another story woven through it that you become aware of, one about who you are, who the maid is, and just what is going on here, and it's quite interesting in its own right.

These stories tend to be very personal. You have small groups of characters who, for various reasons, meet with misfortune. In true tragic fashion, their flaws bouncing off each other tend to seal their fates. This works really well, with small stories that nevertheless often pack quite a punch (so far there's been one exception to that, the first chapter wasn't really my cuppa, but everything since has been great) and, to its credit, the game plays fair with everything it's done so far. There's been not one twist or revelation it hasn't hinted at ahead of time....Actually, I need to amend that slightly, because truly playing fair would involve setting out all the rules at the start, and there have been a few things so far where the events are far enough from normal life that you can't count on your intuition to tell you what the rules "should" be, but the game still uses them well, setting up logical hints when reality-based ones might not work. It's not perfect, but I think it pulls it off.

The characters tend to be well-written, having surprising amounts of depth and interacting with each other in interesting ways. Oh, there's definitely cliches, but they're used so that you can hit the ground running, being the starting point, not the end, of your understanding of (most of) the characters.

The writing is also really good at...reframing things. It sets up things that appear to be one way, only to give you more information later that changes how you see things. Or maybe it doesn't. Having more context doesn't change what happened, after all. It also knows how to use twists well, largely avoiding having a twist for a twist's sake, and keeping them believable, sensible, and there to make you stop and think about what you thought and why you thought it. They're not all big, they're not all important, and some things that seem ripe for a twist are played perfectly straight. The point is, usually, not shock value. I mean, sometimes it's shock value, but those twists are far less memorable.

I should probably note that while I think it's fair to call this a horror game, it isn't in the sense you're probably thinking of. No real jump scares (well, one or two small ones), no desperate limit that you're working under (no limited resources or the like), just an omnipresent sense of dread and malaise. It's horror in the sense of things being wrong and building, rather than in the sense of evoking your fight-or-flight response. That's not to say it's pleasant. These are, after all, tragedies. There are content warnings for abuse, murder, rape, violence, torture, homophobia, transphobia and gaslighting.

That said, the ugliness is very much not for titillation. The worst gore shown on-screen, so far, is someone stabbed, and none of the disturbing acts are depicted on-screen directly, they're described in text. The game uses writing to sell the events without actually depicting them.

On a more cheerful note, the music is very good. It covers a huge variety of styles while consistently evoking moods and emotions. If anything it's too distinctive, and can occasionally distract from the text until you get used to it. It's a rare thing when a game's soundtrack can make you lose track of what you're doing because it's just that good.

The artwork is a bit more mixed. I don't mind it, but the style doesn't quite gel with me a lot of the time. It's not bad, by any means, and it sets the mood well, but it isn't something I'd seek out normally.

So, yeah, anyone else here played this? Or think it sounds like something they might enjoy? I really cannot recommend the parts I've played of it enough, and I hope it keeps on being great.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 4 times, last by John ().

• I'm not huge on VNs. My experience previous to this one would be the Ace Attorney and Danganronpa games. Both of which I quite enjoyed, but which are also kinda...lightweight? I guess? As far as VNs go. They break up the text with minigames and don't have all that much text, overall. (I quite enjoy reading, but reading on a screen can get tiring in a way that reading on paper doesn't). Plus, Danganronpa, the longer of the two generally, has partial voiceovers, and gives you a lot of freedom to decide what to do next.

Fata Morgana so far has no minigames (at 16 hours in) and fairly few choices to make. You're mostly signing up for reading a book with pictures of the characters along the top of it and a soundtrack in the background.

• I wish listed it since last time you talked about it on another thread, it sounds interesting. I am not big on VN either, mainly because it is tiresome if they have way too much unnecessary text (which they usually do), but I do like a good story, and just the pictures and music are good enough to immerse you if they are well written and presented. I have read several, I liked Higurashi quite a bit, despite it being quite old.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • As someone who’s been playing VNs all her life. I can say House in Fata Morgana is a great VN choice. I couldn’t say it’s one of the best I’ve played but I def really enjoyed it. Ofc since I played it on Pc I had a few set backs with fininshing the game. But all in all ‘twas a good read.

On a side note, if you’re more into disturbing VN plots and is already comfortable with gore, HiFM is kind of disappointing. :v:
    • So. Played some more and I need to update my list of content warnings to include some pretty intense gay- and transphobia. In-universe, mind, the game itself seems fairly sympathetic, but the scenes are still...pretty heavy.

I'm not remotely competent to say if it's a "good" representation of a trans character, but the game, so far, seems to have avoided major pitfalls that I'm aware of. I hope it continues to do so.

Not a lot more I want to say at the moment, I've got a lot of thoughts but I want to wait until I see how this goes before I get them down, I just...really didn't want people who might not be comfortable with even fictional depictions of those to be blindsided by them.

• I've been attempting to get into visual novels, but few of them seem particularly appealing, and many of them are pretty expensive for what is essentially a choose your own adventure with pictures. The only visual novel I've ever played is Trauma Center: Under the Knife (Wikipedia calls it a visual novel, although it might be more accurate to say that it has visual novel influences), and that has much more "game" in it. That said, I've recently found The Crown of Leaves, which seems interesting. I'm hoping it goes on sale soon.

As for The House in Fata Morgana, I can't say the premise is grabbing me. I also have an aversion to being called "master". But you have fun.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • Chloroform wrote:

As someone who’s been playing VNs all her life. I can say House in Fata Morgana is a great VN choice. I couldn’t say it’s one of the best I’ve played but I def really enjoyed it. Ofc since I played it on Pc I had a few set backs with fininshing the game. But all in all ‘twas a good read.

On a side note, if you’re more into disturbing VN plots and is already comfortable with gore, HiFM is kind of disappointing. :v:
      Could you recommend some VNs that are must play? Ideally stuff that don't have an adaptation. For example, know Steins;gate is amazing but I have watched the anime so most of it is spoiled.
    • Please Understand wrote:

Could you recommend some VNs that are must play? Ideally stuff that don't have an adaptation. For example, know Steins;gate is amazing but I have watched the anime so most of it is spoiled.
      Im a total weeb so most of the visual novels I've played back in the day are all fan translations (english patch through VNR) lol But thanks to localization companies slowly bringing VNs to the West nowadays, more good VNs are now available in consoles. Some English visual novels that were unforgettable so far to me were:

• Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (PS4,PC, PSV,3/DS)
      • Danganropa V3 Killing Harmony (PSV, PS4 PC)
      • Death Mark (Switch, PS4, PSV) (highly recommended) - this one, like Fata Morgana, is a slow burn mystery horror VN. My only gripe was that they censored one scene for the Western Release because of a red flag issued by ESRB rating, explaining that ESRB found one image "offensive" or too disturbing for the western audience lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Ever 17 (very old VN, available in PC only, hard to obtain)
      • House in Fata Morgana

A few VNs on my backlog are:

• WILL: A Wonderful World (Switch, PS4, PC) - currently playing and enjoying it so far. ^^
      • Chaos Child (PS4, PSV)

I've pre ordered Steins;Gate Elite (Switch, PS4, PSV, PC) Feb 19,2019
      -Its a remake of the orginal VN with better graphics and animation. If you havent watched the anime nor played the first VN, this would be something worth picking up. Devs make it a point where the player is literally watching the anime series + interactive, as you get to make the choices as the story progress.

Though since you've already watched the anime, you prob wont be too interested on this one.

John wrote:

I'm not remotely competent to say if it's a "good" representation of a trans character, but the game, so far, seems to have avoided major pitfalls that I'm aware of. I hope it continues to do so.

Imo, I think Michel Bollinger trans issues (story) was handled pretty well in Fata Morgana and I commend the game for bringing up realistic issues though I admit it could be a little too much for (sensitive ones) the faint of heart. :v:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chloroform ().

• I'd probably not suggest starting Danganronpa with V3. While the first DR game has an anime adaptation, I've no idea how good it is, but I can say that the game is solid. I love the series, for all its flaws (and oh man does it have flaws) and I'd definitely highly recommend it.

Likewise the Nonary Games (forgot they were VNs, heh). The first one, 999, is fine, but not amazing. But Virtue's Last Reward is excellent. Definitely worth playing those two (I keep meaning to play Zero Time Dilemma and bouncing off of the art style).

Anyway, played up to the end of chapter 7 now, and have some thoughts.

First off, as I said above, I really can't say if the game handles queer issues well. What I can say is that it seems to be consistently sympathetic and deftly avoided some of the pitfalls I was afraid it was going to jump into.

For chapter-specific thoughts (written out as I went):

Chapter 5

So, the true story of Michel and Giselle.

First off, while I'm definitely not a fan of rape as backstory, it...seems to be handled well here? It's not done to make you want to protect Giselle, exactly, it's there as part of who she is. She also doesn't just "get over it", but nor is it anything like all that defines her. I don't have enough experience with this topic to say it did a "good job" with the plot element, but I can say that I've seen significantly worse uses of it.

It's interesting that by the end of this chapter there's still lots we don't know. What's up with that painting in Michel's room? (I have...theories about it, combined with some other incidental comments that, well, we'll see. If the game is going where I think it's going I just hope it handles it well). Where did the witch come from in the first place? Why the three other tragedies we've seen?

Beyond that, Michel is an ass. I can understand why, but good gods is he a jerk. I like that the story doesn't have Giselle "fix" him just by putting up with his abuse, and that he's properly repentant once he realises just what he's done, but I sure don't blame her for running away from him. Plus, that was a rather selfish "heroic sacrifice" there. I fully understand why he'd do it, but eesh, the problem with such sacrifices is who you leave behind and the burden on them.

Still, the story is not over yet, so let's see where this goes.

Chapter 6

So, I misunderstood earlier. I thought that when it was revealed that there was no White-Haired Girl in the "real" chapter 4 that that meant there had never been one in any story. This is not the case, she was in every story but the first one, which is...interesting. My thought that it was Michel seems to be wrong, as he's repeatedly denied that, but then who is she? She's far too important to not be tied up in all this.

Regardless, we now know why these tragedies happened and why The Maid didn't step in. Poor Giselle, while she made a very foolish agreement I can't really fault her for it. The terms, as presented to her, were pretty good. It's just that the fine print was...extreme. I think that after five hundred years of being trapped in one house with nothing but a mocking, bodiless, voice for company I'd be lucky to be half as resolute as she was, and then everything just keeps getting worse again.

The part that really got to me was when she invited Bestia to become the master of the mansion, only to see what he did with it. When she was just The Maid her story felt...less personal. She'd made a mistake, for sure, but her job seemed to be to do what she did, and she didn't seem too distressed by the outcome. But now we see that, no, she was still at least partially Giselle and blamed herself for it. She offered him a home and some power and he did...what he did, while she didn't have enough will remaining to even try and stop him. No wonder she vanished after Michelle showed up, it was too much for her.

Something similar holds for the third chapter. She could've helped Michelle and Jacopo...but by that point so was so broken that it wasn't really an option. She'd waited over 700 years and the one she thought she was waiting for had married another. While it doubtless hurt to see Michelle abused, it's not hard to see why she didn't have the strength to really intervene.

Salvage (6.5)

So. The Witch's tale. Now we know why she hates those three in particular, and I can't say I blame her. We also have a justification for the mansion, apparently this is the afterlife. Though that raises...many more questions. Like, how did the witch trap those other souls here and have them play out her little stories? We certainly don't seem to have that kind of power...

It's also interesting to me how the shades have, and have not, changed. Mell, to no one's great surprise, has become incapable of taking responsibility for things, so determined to never let anything be his fault. Yukimasa seems...more human, by quite a bit. He's still violent, and our interaction with him is limited, but he's certainly less bestial than at his worst. Jacopo, now, I can't get a read on. We hear very little from him.

Also, it would seem my suspicions were confirmed and Michel is a trans man. I'm...really not a fan of that being a big reveal, y'know? It shouldn't be a shocking thing. Not something to make the player go "whaaat?" On the other hand, the game so far has handled its subjects with maturity and tact, and has spent a lot of time building up to this, so I'm willing to wait and see where it goes with it.

Chapter 7

And here we have Michel's story. This is one of the most harrowing of the lot, though in some ways seems almost too over-the-top. Everything turns against Michel and it's not due to some grand conspiracy, or outside meddling, it's just...chance and society. He never wanted to be a girl, but being born into 9th-Century France there was never any real hope of him being recognized as himself. If I try to point to any one element of his story as implausible I...can't, really. Even the most "fantastical" element, the disease, feels like it is a thing that could actually happen for a few reasons. It's just that the whole thing combined is an avalanche of abuse, until by the end it almost feels like too much.

I also can't get a read on his brothers. They were clearly upset and at least somewhat repulsed by him, they avoided him for two years after all (even with Aimee lying to them, that's still not something you do lightly), but then they affirm his maleness and, at least claim, to be trying to save his life. Then Georges paints that picture and Didier leads the knights to kill him, after both never write to him. Why, exactly? What were they really feeling? If Georges is the man in the painting, which seems likely, then he regrets his actions. Indeed, regrets them so much that he's become a part of the house. But what of Didier?

We get more insight into why Michel sacrificed himself, and it makes him more sympathetic. He knew doing so would devastate Giselle, but he felt like the only way he could keep being a man was to do so, and didn't want her to die knowing her family would also be hurt for her actions.

Giselle accepting Michel at the end was also great. Expected, but at last he gets someone who takes him for who he is and loves him for it. The whole "our love was so intense after one month that this occured" thing is, frankly, a bit silly, but I'll take it.

I also still have some questions about Morgana. She has said (however much we can trust her) that she only really has power in the land of the dead. Yet her bones vanished, she sealed the door to her tower, and she somehow took Giselle directly to the afterlife at some point? They're not big holes, the story works thematically, but given how much little things have come to matter later I wonder if there isn't something there. Michel's claim that she was the white-haired girl is interesting, and avoids one of the fears I had about this, that Michel's soul repeatedly choosing a female form was, well, kinda going deep into unfortunate implications territory. But no, MIchel is quite clear that whoever she was, she wasn't him.

Finally, I'm...a bit leery of Michel's statement that if only we knew what motivated the three men who tortured Morgana we might have more sympathy for them, especially after the game making a big deal about him refusing to curse his family even after they had him murdered. While revenge can very much be a poison, there are people out there who do terrible things without reason or remorse. How common they are is hard to say, but enough that insisting that all who wrong you must've had some reason for it makes me...wary. Plus, they still did those things, no matter why they did them. You may get understanding, but that shouldn't be confused with forgiveness.

On the other hand, Morgana herself calls Michel out on this and calls him out for how incredibly presumptuous he is for insisting he'll "save" her despite her wishes. So the writers are aware of my objections, which gives me a great deal of hope that they'll handle this well.

So, lot of plot stuff, but I thought I'd go on a bit more about the music in this game, 'cause I really love it. It has so many different styles and every track is great at evoking an atmosphere and is just so good. But I've said all this before, and there's only so much one can do to describe music in text, especially when one hasn't really used the terminology in a decade like myself. So instead here's some of the songs that really stuck out to me from the soundtrack so far:

The House in Fata Morgana

The title theme, and one that makes me think of NieR: Automata's soundtrack, which is very much a good thing.

Labirintia

I just love the atmosphere of this, with the building intensity of the vocals and the urgency of the bell. Something is clearly happening, and it's something very important.

Delphinas

Kinda the embodiment of a happy summer by the seaside here, while still feeling like it fits in with the rest of the ominous soundtrack. It's very impressive.

Ciao Carina

I'm a sucker for jazzy songs, which means I love all of the 3rd door's soundtrack, but this one is just great.

Cicio

Just relaxing, a song that evokes the good days, whatever they may be. Something rare in this game, and well-worth treasuring, which this makes clear just by how it sounds.

Like, every song is great, this is just a very small sample, but the songs are all different from each other while still all being just really nice to listen to. Dunno how they managed it, but the whole OST is well-worth buying.

The post was edited 5 times, last by John ().

• Maybe we should change this to VN general if we don't have one already. After all Fata Morgana is a bit limited of a topic. Just a thought!

I will probably grab Danganronpa V3 next Steam sale.

I thought 999 was better than VLR in...some regards, but VLR wins automatically by its choice tree making repeating to see all the outcomes so much more immediate and... Fun, instead of tedious. Of course 999 had much fewer paths so it wasn't a huge deal, but the feature would be appreciated.

I also haven't tried ZTD yet. I don't mind the art style, but it just won't go down in price much, and since I am not sure when I will actually play it, I'd rather pick it up for cheap.
    • Renamed the thread to a more general topic of discussion, since it's heading there anyway.

I've also finished The House in Fata Morgana.

Overall really liked it. It had good things to say about revenge, hope, forgiveness, and evil, without going into pat cliches or simple answers. I like where it went with its themes and ideas, it handled the concepts well and gave them a significant amount of nuance, more than I'm used to seeing, TBH.

As such, I can definitely and highly recommend it to people who think the premise sounds interesting. The tone and style shift a bit as it goes, by the end it feels fairly different than the start, but throughout it has strong writing, well-developed characters, and some interesting thoughts that it weaves into the plot without becoming didactic.

I have a few quibbles about some things (one big reveal...should not have been used as a twist, to my mind; some of the characters seem to get a bit more sympathy than they've perhaps earned; the historical accuracy feels a bit off. Nothing major) but it's overall very well done.

Final Chapter

Writing these out as I complete each section of the chapter, but gonna post them all at once to avoid spamming the thread.

So, Mell's story. It was...about what I expected. I'm very glad the game both makes it clear that he was in an impossible situation without letting him off the hook. In the end, we all choose. We may be forced into a situation where none of our choices are good, where every one of them hurts ourselves and others...but we still, ultimately, choose them. It's a lesson I have to fight to internalize. There's...a lot of Mell in me, in some ways. Easy life, conflict-averse, used to try and bury all my problems rather than ever confront them. I still have to fight myself over that, but I'm better than I was.

Mell and Nellie continue to keep making me think of Miki and Kozue from Revolutionary Girl Utena. No idea if that's deliberate, and there's definitely differences there, but their relationship has similarities, their personalities are similar (Mell is very much Miki. Nellie...feels like a younger, less-manipulatize, Kozue), they've got the prominently-matching hair thing going on, there's all the talk of princes and princesses and roses and witches...The biggest difference, to my mind, is that Miki fights for what he wants, even when that's selfish, while Mell doesn't know how to. Still, it's an interesting parallel.

The Swordsman's story is...roughly what I assumed it would be. Almost no conscience and just...wandering through life, save when the bloodlust seized him. His greater level of introspection over when he was (er, will be) "Bestia" is intersting, though. Yukimasa was almost destroyed by the time of chapter 2, while "The Swordsman" is, at least superficially, much more complete and less pitiable. He has some desire to be better, but he is not afraid of himself or his actions, more...puzzled by them. He wants to change, but it isn't...isn't urgent, really. It makes him deliberately hard to empathize with, which is an interesting choice. There's clearly something worth salvaging in him, but it's less than in his later life, it feels like. But is that really fair? Do I like Yukimasa more simply because he was better at putting up a front and his breakdown was more dramatic, compared to the much more sanguine (...in every sense of the word) original self?

Also not sure how I feel about Michel encouraging him to stay with Pauline as a tether. We know that a tether isn't enough, that he still can lose control. That said, she knows what he is, now, and if she truly still wants to try and ground him then, well, it probably is the only hope he's got. It's just...not a good situation for either party.

So, at this point Michel's assertion that the white-haired girl is Morgana seems more and more likely. In chapter 1 Mell falls for her, and in this chapter we see that he felt similairly for Morgana, if perhaps not as strongly due to her pushing him away. In chapter 2 she served as a way for Yukimasa to keep himself in check, and here we find that, indeed, to him she was his first tether, that her voice helped hold him in place. There are some other parallels, but those seem like the most important ones. This strongly implies that Jacopo is going to be in love with Morgana...which seems ludicrous on its surface. How would the lord who kidnapped her and drained her blood mesh with that? Not that chapter 3 Jacopo was good even before he was manipulated, and he imprisoned the White-Haired Girl in that time, but...there is a difference in motivation there that seems hard to bridge.

Also wondering what the heck is up with the name we've been given for him. It seems unlikely that Jean is his actual name, since then he'd be the only character to be changing names (well, Yukimasa has forgotten his, but I stand by my statement). Also, he's Sicilian, not French. Something's definitely up there.

Giselle's contact with Michel's cut off. Not sure what that means, the metaphysics of this place have been very poorly established. Could mean her soul has fragmented, though I hope not. Could mean she's being blocked somehow. I very much doubt it means she's gone for the rest of the game, however, not without a goodbye at the very least.

Here we have Jacopo's story, and he remains the least-likable of the trio. I have some sympathy for him, to be sure, but ultimately he's...hard to empathize with, for me. Mell, as I said, shares a lot of traits with me. Yukimasa...almost feels like a force of nature rather than a person when he's "bestial", and it's clear it's something he doesn't really control. Jacopo, though, knows exactly what he is and knows that what he does is wrong, and even still has a conscience...he just will not act on it. Out of the three his problems are the easiest to solve and his awareness of what he's doing the highest, so his repeated failure to correct his problems is the most abhorrent.

And here we also get the payoff for the stained-glass window and Michel's name. I figured something like this was coming, especially after Yukimasa decided he was an angel, but it still works...surprisingly well? Like, being called an angel is exceedingly mixed for Michel for a whole host of reasons, but it's also not a difficult comparison to make.

Also figured this wasn't the real past. We've seen how the memories work too often to think it was really anything else. I'm...honestly kinda surprised Michel thought that he was truly able to alter history here.

Now Morgana. Major kudos to the game for not simply having her hatred be erased, nor having her forgive anyone. At this point they haven't really earned forgiveness, and she's certainly under no obligation to offer it. Also glad they didn't have her really reconcile with Jacopo. Instead she's just...allowed to see that, at this point, her revenge has become pointless. They've suffered, and she's literally just hurting herself at this point, so she...lets it go. Her feelings haven't truly changed, but she can seek a healthier outlet for them, now that this one's purpose has been served.

The painting, as the game all-but-told us before, is Georges, and it would seem he was a well-meaning but not-very-perceptive oaf which...I can accept.

Ah, Didier. Not...sure how I feel about him, honestly. I had some speculation about what drove him, and the fact that he has tormented himself is important, but he still did what he did. He's one who I think could redeem himself, but who hasn't yet, despite clearly wanting to.

Finally, the ending. Bit cliche, but I can't complain. It hits most of the right notes and gives hints as to how things could continue, now that the curse is lifted. I did like the bookends of Morgana's prayer. The one at the opening of the game is her praying for God to curse her enemies, at the end it's a prayer of hope for Michel and Giselle, which is nice.

Edit: I won't be playing it right away, but I am also rather interested in The House in Fata Morgana: Requiem for Innocence, which is a prequel of sorts, by the look of it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Hi there! I don't remember how I stumbled upon this thread (might have been looking something up related to this game), but I really enjoyed reading your impressions of Fata Morgana. Made an account here just to talk about this game since it's so niche and barely anyone knows about it.

As for my thoughts:
      Display Spoiler
      - I saw a lot of me in Mell too. Such a well-written character.

- I feel like Yukimasa tries to "become human" because he doesn't want to become an outcast in society and wants to fit in, not because he values humanity per se. Even though he's an objectively horrible person, you can't fault him for being born as a sociopath without a conscience; that's something outside of his control, similar to Michel being born intersex.

- Which brings us to good old Jacopo. You hit the nail on the head about his actions being the most unforgivable due to his intact conscience and awareness of consequences. I do think he's the most interesting character of the three, even though I don't like the guy. I highly recommend playing Requiem for Innocence, which provides an introspective look into his self-destructive actions without absolving him of any crimes that he commited.

- I was completely blindsided by the revelation of Michel's identity. For some reason, I had thought that the woman in the painting was his twin sister... -_-;; I didn't have a problem with it being a twist though, seeing how well foreshadowed it was in hindsight.

- I really appreciated Morgana's decision to not forgive and move on at the end too. Too often in media you have stories that glorify (undeserved) forgiveness.

I'm not sure if you caught all of it, but there's a lot of hidden content in Door 4: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135250467
      The red lines scared the crap out of me when I inadvertently opened the backlog :dazed:

You should also check out some of the other guides there to see if there's something you missed in the game:
      steamcommunity.com/app/303310/guides/#scrollTop=300

The post was edited 2 times, last by chairman_meow ().

• chairman_meow wrote:

Hi there! I don't remember how I stumbled upon this thread (might have been looking something up related to this game), but I really enjoyed reading your impressions of Fata Morgana. Made an account here just to talk about this game since it's so niche and barely anyone knows about it.

As for my thoughts:
      Display Spoiler
      - I saw a lot of me in Mell too. Such a well-written character.

- I feel like Yukimasa tries to "become human" because he doesn't want to become an outcast in society and wants to fit in, not because he values humanity per se. Even though he's an objectively horrible person, you can't fault him for being born as a sociopath without a conscience; that's something outside of his control, similar to Michel being born intersex.

- Which brings us to good old Jacopo. You hit the nail on the head about his actions being the most unforgivable due to his intact conscience and awareness of consequences. I do think he's the most interesting character of the three, even though I don't like the guy. I highly recommend playing Requiem for Innocence, which provides an introspective look into his self-destructive actions without absolving him of any crimes that he commited.

- I was completely blindsided by the revelation of Michel's identity. For some reason, I had thought that the woman in the painting was his twin sister... -_-;; I didn't have a problem with it being a twist though, seeing how well foreshadowed it was in hindsight.

- I really appreciated Morgana's decision to not forgive and move on at the end too. Too often in media you have stories that glorify (undeserved) forgiveness.

I'm not sure if you caught all of it, but there's a lot of hidden content in Door 4: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135250467
      The red lines scared the crap out of me when I inadvertently opened the backlog :dazed:

You should also check out some of the other guides there to see if there's something you missed in the game:
      steamcommunity.com/app/303310/guides/#scrollTop=300

Welcome! I'm kinda astonished that this thread would turn up in Google results, frankly. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

I myself only learned about the game from a Discord server I was hanging out on which had someone fairly continuously singing its praises.

I did catch the hidden door 4 content, I'd had it semi-spoiled kinda-sorta in a vague way (mostly I was told where to pay attention) and it was neat. I'd seen it done before in other games, but it's still a fun concept, and I like how it was implemented. You can miss it and the game and story still work just as well, or you can find it and get some early reveals about some later twists.

• John wrote:

I myself only learned about the game from a Discord server I was hanging out on which had someone fairly continuously singing its praises.

I'd seen it done before in other games, but it's still a fun concept, and I like how it was implemented.
      Did they spam "Fata Morgana is 0% off on Steam"? :lol: I swear that's all the fandom does sometimes

That's interesting. Do you mind telling me what those games are? I don't care about spoilers as long as they are out-of-context.