Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Do Over Book Club

• Welcome to the Do Over Book Club! There have been other book clubs attempted on ZU, but they seem to have fallen flat. So, I want a do over, hence the name. To try and get the ball rolling (and keep it rolling), I've already planned out the structure of this club. Will it always be set-up like this? Probably not, but we at least need something to get started, or it's not going to work. Let's begin!

Who can join?
      The club is open to anyone and everyone that's a member of ZU! Anyone that wishes to participate, however, is responsible for getting their own copy of the book. On the plus side, you can get the book in whatever format suits you best (even if it's an audiobook)! Worried that you can't afford it or that your library won't have a copy of the current month's book? Don't worry, just keep reading and you'll see that I've come up with something a little nifty to include as many people as possible~

Let's go over some rules!
      • Obviously, the Zelda Universe Rules apply here.

• Spoilers! Discussion is wholeheartedly encouraged, we want discussion! However, keep any spoilers in spoiler tags. If you're unsure if something could be considered a spoiler, put it in the tags to be safe. And as a courtesy to other members, try to label your spoilers with a chapter (number, name, whatever you can find), just in case someone doesn't read as quick as you.

• In order to nominate a book, you must give the Title, Author, and a link to Goodreads or something similar to Goodreads. If you don't have those, it won't be put in the voting list.

• You're only allowed to nominate one book at a time. You can change which book you nominate before voting begins though.

• Talk about Book Club. This isn't Fight Club, so please do spread the Book Club love and talk about it!

How do we nominate a book?
      Find a book that fits the current theme/genre and use the following format,
      Title:
      Author:
      Goodreads link
      And that's all you need to do! By all means, if you want to describe the book (no spoilers) or convince your fellow members why they should choose this book, you're certainly free to do so! Just don't harass other members and remember to be courteous of other nominations.

So, how does it work?
      Each month, there's actually going to be two different votes. One is for the theme/genre, and the other is for the book itself. These votes will generally happen before we're finished reading the current month's book. Timelines aren't set yet, but the theme vote (for the next month) will probably happen shortly after we start our current book (maybe even sooner, so we can nominate and vote on the next month's book and people will have a chance to get it in time). Once the next month's theme has been decided, then people can start nominating books within that theme. Before the current book session ends, we will vote on the next book. So on and so forth. It's a work in progress, we're going to work out the kinks as we go along.

Choosing a theme.
      We're going to have a list of themes/genres, that anyone can add to! Just @ me, post to my wall, or send me a Conversation to let me know and I'll update the list. It's going to be a numbered list and each month, through the power of random number generator, three themes will be chosen and we'll vote on those three. It helps narrow things down and ties are less likely to happen. If a tie does happen within the three, fret not, we will consult the random number generator again to give us our final decision.

Can't afford the book, library doesn't have it in stock?
      Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you! You now have the opportunity for a one month membership to the *drumroll* Library Book Club! If you can't get the next month's book, for whatever reason, let me know ASAP. The Do Over Book Club is going to carry on like normal. But now anyone in the Library Book Club gets to nominate a book (within the theme) they can get from their public library (or maybe they already own it). Before the library folks vote on a book they're going to read, we're going to take a quick look at the nominated library books and make sure everyone in the library club has it available. Any of the nominated library books that someone can't get, won't being going up for vote. For example, if four books are nominated in the library club, but only one of those books is available in all the participating "libraries," then there won't be a vote and that book wins by default. But if two or more books are available at all participating libraries, then there'll be a vote. The Library Book Club nominating/voting will have to be a bit fast-tracked so that it can stay on a similar timeline as the main Do Over Book Club. In the event that a Library Book Club is occuring, I will be participating in both the main book club and the library book club. So even if there's only one person in the library book club, I'll be there. Of course, any other members from the main book club are welcome to join the library club as well, if they feel comfortable reading two books.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, don't be shy! If things go well, I just might have some fun things planned for the future~

The next post is where you'll find all the current club information (current theme, nominations, current book, events etc), so be sure to check it out!
      Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club

The post was edited 1 time, last by Colu ().

• Current book: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)! (Read it, yo)

This is our "Current Events" Hub! It's an easy place to check what's happening in the club right now. Because this is the first session, I've already decided the theme will be Young Adult. It's a nice starter theme and more inclusive of everyone! While we get a handle on things and poke for interest, the nomination period is currently open-ended. At the top, I'll try to always have a helpful note about what we're doing, and down below you'll see more detailed information.

Current Book: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson - Read it!
      Current Theme: Young Adult
      Library Book Club: nah

Next Month's Theme: TBD
      Next Month's Book: TBD

Current Nominations
      Display Spoiler

It’s empty!

Nomination Format
      Display Spoiler

Title:
      Author:
      Goodreads link

Theme List
      Display Spoiler

1. Action/Adventure
      2. Crime
      3. Drama
      4. Fantasy
      5. Horror
      6. Mystery
      7. Thriller
      8. Romance
      9. Sci-Fi
      10. Young Adult
      11. Biography/Autobiography
      12. Encyclopedia (I'm joking, we're not reading encyclopedias)
      13. History
      14. Self Help
      15. True Crime

Want a theme added? Just let me know!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Colu ().

• Okay, so, *cough*, you never said young adult fiction ... sooo... American Scientist tells me this is appropriate for a young adult audience. *The description given is theirs as well.*

Title: Apollo 8: The Thrilling Story of the First Mission to the Moon
      Author: Jeffrey Kluger
      Goodreads Link
      Description:
      In this gripping read, Jeffrey Kluger—who coauthored Apollo 13 with astronaut and American hero James Lovell—tells the story of the Apollo 8 mission. The mission's goals and timeline were hair-raising, in no small part because the crew training for the Apollo 9 mission were bumped up to Apollo 8, with only 16 weeks to prepare. Furthermore, the mission was expanded, and how. Instead of remaining in Earth's orbit as originally planned, the astronauts who boarded Apollo 8 were the first to orbit the Moon. Even though readers have the benefit of knowing that the crew returned safely after a successful mission, Kluger's deft storytelling and detailed depiction of everything from quietly fretful family members to alarming last-minute aircraft fixes make it abundantly clear that during that moment in 1968 nothing was certain. The Apollo 8 mission was the first to provide astronauts a view of the Moon's dark side, and it enabled us to see the first, now iconic, photographs of our planet as viewed from the Moon. It's also the mission that Lovell himself, as he noted during a lecture at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill last fall, recalls with the most pride. Viewed through Kluger's lens, it's easy to see why.
    • I'm gonna lose my mind trying to choose a book to nominate. I've finally settled on one, and the main reason I chose it is because the description sounds really funny to me, even though it's not trying to be funny.

Title: Hide and Shriek
      Author: Alison Hughes
      Goodreads

When Emily, Tess, Cam and Dylan decide to ignore the new town curfew during their Friday-night game of hide-and-seek, they get more than they bargained for. Down by the river, they witness a shady deal go down involving some criminal types who recently moved into their neighborhood. When the teens are discovered, they are hunted through the dark streets and back alleys. They will have to use all their hide-and-seek skills to save each other. Ultimately, Emily, the youngest of the group and the best hider, discovers that sometimes staying hidden is the best way to escape.
      Is that not funny? Just me? okay...hahaha
    • Oh, spawking of used books! (spawking? I meant speaking, obviously, but I'm not changing it. Maybe it'll catch on, become a trend or something)

Did you know that you can buy used books for cheap online?? There's whole sites dedicated to it! I didn't know (apparently I'm sheltered, and I'm the one sheltering myself? seems that way!). But now I know and I feel like my world has just changed for the better
    • A few people have recently recommended the Mistborn Series so, I’m gonna go with Mistborn #1 The Final Empire:

Goodreads
      In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?

In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage — Allomancy, a magic of the metals
    • @Winnie @boxes @RealmWings @GuardianFIN @Lady Sunshine
      Shall we vote?? Let's vote! I've put the nominated books up in the second post for easy reference, but I'll share them here too.
      Display Spoiler

Entry 1
      Apollo 8: The Thrilling Story of the First Mission To The Moon
      author: Jeffrey Kluger
      Goodreads

Entry 2
      Hide and Shriek
      author: Alison Hughes
      Goodreads

Entry 3
      The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
      author: Brandon Sanderson