Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
DnD Mafia: You all failed the quest!
  • (Yeah I had written a response, but a half minute before I posted the thread closed. It is confusing looking because it didn't format right.

    Assuming that we want to both avoid the penalty of 60% failing as much as possible, and want to win the encounters as much as possible, then everybody cooperating is objectively best, by far, going from a 10% chance of about a fourth of us getting a bonus (and 90% chance of three fourths of us getting a negative effect,) to a 25% chance of all of us getting a bonus.

    The only other consideration is that, clearly, mafia will join in, too, and get the bonus the same as us. Now we have more numbers, so an equally applied bonus means town gets "more bonuses" than mafia, but if we, for whatever reason, decide we -do not- want mafia to get the bonus, we could choose to vote randomly to screw the mafia.

    I'm of the mind that I'd rather town+mafia get the bonus for the reasons stated, though. I expect the rest of the town to follow suit in choosing the same number, and should I die, somebody else should coordinate. I'm looking at you @zoraluigi and @korokpeach >_>)

    Though I didn't see eye-to-eye with Kutter, and better me than her, the circumstances of her sham of a trial are suspect! I will have to ponder these details and see if I can find any evidence.

    Another poor soul has met their demise in the dark. I believe we can confirm that we are, indeed, witnessing a horrific plot. A takeover of our quest! Very unfortunate that poor Venali has died. She was a brave warrior, and may have died protecting somebody else.

    I have seen such an attempted coup before. I would guess that there are three, or more probably four evildoers among us. It is most likely that mafia decided to kill Venali herself than her dying in battle, but only barely more likely. I can explain my calculations if need-be!
  • Also, last night somebody attempted to enter my tent. An evil magician attempted to cast a seal-breaking and immobilizing spell upon me (roleblock), but it was prevented. It is conceivable that these evildoers attempted to defeat my lock and kill me, and I was saved by Venali (that is, a role block, then kill, which was stopped by Romano). I do not believe that the magic works like this, however. I believe that any attempt to block my power would fail on account of my lock, and that the afforementioned circumstance isn't within the laws of physics!

    We might wonder whether these evildoers believed that I was bluffing? I do not know why such powerful magic would be wasted upon a passive skill like my own! Or, perhaps, a good man might have used such dark magic, testing my abilities like I had suggested.

    EDIT: (Is it standard practice for a person who is roleblocked to learn of it? Or did I learn that it was "attempted" because my role informs me of what I block?)

    The post was edited 5 times, last by theunabletable ().

  • korokpeach wrote:

    Tell Tredap why exactly you should not die today!
    "What would you have me do, amigo? Expound my abilities? Scream my loyalty to the heavens? Ask of me and I will answer, but I cannot defend against blind rage."

    "In the meantime, let us see what we know. Kutter died at the hands of a mob. And yes, it was a line of thinking I started. So I surely understand your trepidation to continued trust. But I'm afraid I simply wasn't able to hear her claim of tracker due to circumstances beyond my control."

    [OOC: I was pulled away from my computer around 30 minutes before EoD to help my parents with something, and was not able to return before the hammer had landed. That isn't an excuse, but it is the truth.]

    "The fact of the matter is that she had been acting jumpy and, to my recollection, somewhat uncooperative until near the very end. I regret that we killed one of our own, truly, but I don't think I would have done differently under the same circumstances."

    Catrina stops and smooths her skirt before continuing. "We also know that Venali was killed last night, ostensibly by the same group that took that hand away from its owner two nights ago. To wonder why would, I think, be reductive, as it wouldn't get us much closer to finding these murderers. If you think me wrong on this, then I will be happy to hear your point of view. It would not be the first time I have been wrong."

    [As for that roll, table: truth is that I rolled for it myself and posted the result to Sol before you made your post, and then I just forgot to change it. So that's on me, mea culpa.]
  • [Let me rephrase that "wonder why" statement, because I don't think I made it well. What I mean is that asking why Romano specifically was chosen probably wouldn't help, and would instead just waste time. It's something without a likely discernable answer, and so wouldn't benefit from discussion. Again, if you think me wrong, please let me know. It's obviously productive to look back, but not to speculate.]
  • (That's cool @zoraluigi.
    If everybody agrees with my reasoning, that it is objectively best for town to vote as a unanimous block. Note that we learn who received the bonuses, e.g. we know that last night, zoraluigi and korokpeach did not roll with the town. This gives us some power to actually police the rolls. Not rolling with the town is, in an essential way, anti-town. Thus I propose the following policy:

    <policy> Roll With the Town: Those who sign this policy agree to vote to lynch anyone who is found to roll a number at night different from the final agreed-upon value. </policy>

    So <sign> Roll With the Town </sign>. I am of the mind that every single one of you should follow suit.)

    (Edit: @Mordred: Ahh, interesting. If that's true, then my power should inform me of when I block something. So I believe I do have the capacity to verify my role, with knowledge of abilities used on me.)

    The post was edited 4 times, last by theunabletable ().

  • (I see, I made it a tag system so that it would be easily searchable later. I edited it to <sign> </sign>.

    No, we should all vote for the exact same number. Last night I chose arbitrarily 19, so everybody should follow suit and choose 19. If somehow anyone gets the power to roll multiple times, or something like that, they should inform us.

    To explain: If everybody chooses randomly, we have about a 10% chance of one fourth of us getting a bonus (and a 90% chance of nobody gettiing a bonus and 3/4ths of us getting a negative effect). But if we all choose the exact same number, we have a 25% chance of everybody getting a bonus (and a 75% chance of negative effects). So everybody choosing the same number is objectively best, and pro-town.

    Edit: The key to this policy is that, because we learn if anyone gets the bonus while the rest of us don't (or if we win the encounter, we can see who didn't vote wiith us), we have the ability to policy-lynch anyone who makes the anti-town choice.)

    The post was edited 1 time, last by theunabletable ().

  • (That our chance of victory by all choosing the same number is 25% comes from the simple fact that a random number has a 5/20 chance of being in the selected interval (so say we pick the number 4. Then we get a victory if and only if the GM picks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, which is a 5/20=1/4 chance.) That it's 10% if we all choose randomly comes from a simple statistical model I implemented in Python and posted the code above ^_^)

    Edit: My silver haired madam (Monika), I am very interested in what you found on your pillow this morning!

    The post was edited 3 times, last by theunabletable ().

  • theunabletable wrote:

    (That's cool @zoraluigi.
    If everybody agrees with my reasoning, that it is objectively best for town to vote as a unanimous block. Note that we learn who received the bonuses, e.g. we know that last night, zoraluigi and korokpeach did not roll with the town. This gives us some power to actually police the rolls. Not rolling with the town is, in an essential way, anti-town. Thus I propose the following policy:

    <policy> Roll With the Town: Those who sign this policy agree to vote to lynch anyone who is found to roll a number at night different from the final agreed-upon value. </policy>

    So <sign> Roll With the Town </sign>. I am of the mind that every single one of you should follow suit.)


    theunabletable wrote:

    Edit: My silver haired madam (Monika), I am very interested in what you found on your pillow this morning!
    The girl scoffs. "That's a surprise: a man who enjoys pillow talk, yet would still dare to call a woman his possession. Stick with Madame Trish Perelli to save yourself the embarrassment of getting shut down again."

    "In addition, this plan you propose is ridiculous. All it will do is cause problems for everyone instead of most of us. If you wished to punish only those who are part of your blood oath but do not follow it, I would be a bit more silent about the issue."

    She then brings her smirking gaze toward... "Monika flips through paper notes* "Shit, what was the name... Catrina."

    She then brings her smirking gaze toward Catrina. "And you are simply a commoner with no backbone EDIT: for hastily forging such an alliance."

    [vote]zoraluigi[/vote]

    Signature art by Liah ♥

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Monika ().

  • No pillow talk was intended. As a man of God, I am eternally loyal to my beautiful wife. But I have heard rumor that something interesting was found atop your pillow in the night. Would you like to share?

    (Regarding the encounter rolls: It is objectively best for the town to cooperate unanimously on their rolls. It is by definition anti-town to roll against town. If we unite, we have the power to even enforce that everyone acts pro-town. Thus it is best for us to unite. This should be a simple topic that we all agree on, and should move onto more complicated things, such as scumreads. To argue against would be anti-town, then, for two reasons: It prevents an optimal plan which we can put forward, and it holds back discussion on less simple topics.)

    The post was edited 1 time, last by theunabletable ().

  • Allying on the rolls is a good idea as far as we know - there may be roles which interact with it unexpectedly however - but I wouldn't take this as allying with the person or people who roll the same.

    [vote]GuadianFIN[/vote]

    What is your justification for voting for Lysis yesterday? You certainly seemed to have no intention to change it even as their wagon grew.
  • What's this? Did Cat's ears deceive her? Someone had just nominated her, Catrina, for the chopping block. The nerve, the gall, the unabashed audacity of this follicly argent dame to suggest that she, Catrina, had anything to do with this. Cat considered all the scathing replies she could make: to explain as the others have that agreeing to such terms is not indisputably spineless or anti-Town; to explain that her so-called "haste" was merely in the interest of moving along discussion; to rain down righteous fury upon she who would label her "common;" to simply and vehemently refute all accusations of wrong-doing on her own part. She weighed these options and more, and searched for the correct utterances, picking the best and most succinct way of possibly expressing these myriad opinions. She did all of this and finally decided upon the best answer, an answer with no misunderstandability and no compunction–indeed, the perfect of all possible answers. She, Catrina Calavera, in front of God and Man, responded with the most cutting and definitive reply ever spoken by a mortal tongue: "No u."

    ---

    Catrina then turned her attention to the aforementioned "moving along discussion." She once again approached the shieldmaiden Ar-Neferu. "Well, amor, of those four of us who voted for Kutter, three yet remain alive. Alm and I have votes against us already, so let us even the playing field for the present moment."

    [vote]@Dr.Gazooks[/vote]

    "You should be assumed as culpable as the other two of us. Perhaps your reasoning was of similar mind to my own, or perhaps it was more sinister. I ask you, then, to explain yourself as I have done."

    The post was edited 1 time, last by zoraluigi: fixed a formatting error ().

  • theunabletable wrote:

    No pillow talk was intended. As a man of God, I am eternally loyal to my beautiful wife. But I have heard rumor that something interesting was found atop your pillow in the night. Would you like to share?
    "Let people talk however they'd like. My bedroom secrets are not-" Trish stops and blushes slightly, keeping her smirk and eye contact. "Er, I'd hope to keep my private knowledge to myself."

    (Regarding the encounter rolls: It is objectively best for the town to cooperate unanimously on their rolls. It is by definition anti-town to roll against town. If we unite, we have the power to even enforce that everyone acts pro-town. Thus it is best for us to unite. This should be a simple topic that we all agree on, and should move onto more complicated things, such as scumreads. To argue against would be anti-town, then, for two reasons: It prevents an optimal plan which we can put forward, and it holds back discussion on less simple topics.)
    "Call me what you like, we're all in this journey together so you'll have to put your mighty words to action if you really think it's worth fighting for. You lawmen are all the same. I have no desire to pollute the air with a topic as innane as this."

    Trish turns away from The Table and continues traveling. "Just because we're hired together doesn't mean we have to get along. We walk together down this road, but I will not hesitate to break you if you hope to bind me with chains."
  • Ahem. I have made a grave mistake. Kutter was slain for nothing.
    May poor fellow towns woman rest in piece.
    I had informed that I had to retire for the night before she spilled her beans and told being able to track. My mistake of being human and affected by fatigue.
    It does cast a shadow on me, I understand.
    But my reasoning before I went to bed was best I can offer.
    So @Sabbo I read too much on aggressive PR. It seems clear now, it was clear to me instantly when I read about her tracking abilities. Unfortunately for Kutter and me, I read it 8h too late.

    I see that not everyone has attended yet today, but this far
    I thought to vote korokpeach, but at this situation it'd look too much of revenge vote.
    I hold my vote before I get more solid ground to build on.
    I rolled 19 with The Table and plan to follow his suite as far as there is no better arguments against it.
  • It seems I'm having wagon building up
    I guess my mistake of retiring too early might cost town soon third person.
    Meanwhile rather many has remained completely silent.
    [Vote]BDB[/vote]
    Usually you have been very logical and talkative. Did Cat take your tongue this time?
    Quackmire, @GregariousTree how does druid see this situation?
    @RealmWings Any thoughts of current development?
    @Cody You seem to be among the first ones to post, but I haven't seen you contribute that much this far. Why that shouldn't seem suspicious?

    To anyone thinking I'm feeling scummy:
    Can you give me or others any other reason than that I wasn't here to correct my count?
    I will do my best to make it today.
    To those thinking it's scummy to ask such:
    Why? Should I just sit silent after even explaining myself and pointing waterproof evidence that I wasn't present when new evidence was brought to light.

    [I take the kid to her nap and am back]
  • GuardianFIN wrote:

    Ahem. I have made a grave mistake. Kutter was slain for nothing.
    May poor fellow towns woman rest in piece.
    I had informed that I had to retire for the night before she spilled her beans and told being able to track. My mistake of being human and affected by fatigue.
    It does cast a shadow on me, I understand.
    But my reasoning before I went to bed was best I can offer.
    So @Sabbo I read too much on aggressive PR. It seems clear now, it was clear to me instantly when I read about her tracking abilities. Unfortunately for Kutter and me, I read it 8h too late.

    I see that not everyone has attended yet today, but this far
    I thought to vote korokpeach, but at this situation it'd look too much of revenge vote.
    I hold my vote before I get more solid ground to build on.
    I rolled 19 with The Table and plan to follow his suite as far as there is no better arguments against it.
    I can't fault you for trying to read into the rp posts - I did as well, to a degree - but was there any reason you voted for gerudoyoshi rather than the first person to speak of killing being tolerable, RealmWings?

    GuardianFIN wrote:

    To anyone thinking I'm feeling scummy:
    Can you give me or others any other reason than that I wasn't here to correct my count?
    I will do my best to make it today.
    To those thinking it's scummy to ask such:
    Why? Should I just sit silent after even explaining myself and pointing waterproof evidence that I wasn't present when new evidence was brought to light.
    It's not particularly scummy to ask for more reasons for anything, really. However, to answer your question, not really? I just trust you less than the others who voted for gerudoyoshi.

    ...I do recognize however that this may be a wild goose chase, where the mafia was willing to let a lynch fall without any of their members voting into it. I look forward to a few hours of discussion which hopefully shed some light somewhere, so that we have a more solid wagon, regardless of who it is on. (After I sleep; I've no intention to miss EoD again.)