Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
DnD Mafia: You all failed the quest!
  • "Good evening, I've summoned you because I required a small party of adventur-" the man who had been brought out before your group stopped and his eyes went wide. "Fourteen of you? ...Seriously? Dammit I can't afford this.. No matter!"

"I need you guys to travel across the continent and steal a magical crystal from an evil wizard, then travel to a different part of the continent to steal a magic sword, and then go to yet another corner of this large continent and kill a dragon using the items you find. Easy, yes? No? Oh well. I'm sure you'll all do great and you'll all make it out alive. I will, of course, be paying you handsomely: 20,000 gold per person along with whatever random shit you find while questing. Have fun!"

You're all ushered out of the Adventurer's Guild with nary a say on whether or not you would actually go on the adventure. You knew maybe one or two other people in this large group, but it was hastily thrown together and now suddenly you were tasked with an adventure that would probably kill you. That said, if this dude can actually pay you that much, he has to be an important enough person that he'd ruin your career as a professional quest do-er if you refused. So, in other words, you have no choice.

You start to head out to this evil wizards castle. All is well for the first three days, when suddenly somebody screams in the night. One of your number had gone missing; the only sign that he was ever among you was his bloody hand sitting atop his things. The people on watch said that nobody had come in to camp, so it had to be somebody already in your party.

But who?

You pack up your camp and set out on the road once more, ready to finish this quest and put all this behind you.

Day 1 Begins
  • *I sit atop a regally bridled, brown horse, and I'm wearing a full set of dark armor, with a long green cape, emblazened with the sigil of the kingdom of Athriel. My horse drags behind a medium-sized wagon, covered by a grey tarp. Something large and lumpy lies beneath.*

Listen, caravan, and yield!

*I move to the front of the caravan and stop, forcing the group to slow to a halt.*

I know none of you. I have been sent on a mission by my young king; he's an ambitious man with many enemies and he has not the funds to implement much of his intended policy. I have killed two dragons in my tenure as a member of the king's guard, and I intend to kill a third in the coming weeks to bring the gold back to my kingdom.

Despite an undying allegience to my king, I am also a man of God, and will not stand in the face of the injustice our camp faced last night. To make time, we could not stay and investigate the scene of the crime.

But no matter! I have brought the corpse in my wagon, and while we traveled, I performed an autopsy. My oh my, what an unpleasant way to die. I found him tied up against a tree, some sixty paces away from his tent. He appears to have died bleeding out by a cut artery in his left arm. In his system I found a rare poison which leaves one immobile, which seemed to be administered by a slashed hand, thrust in front of his body in defense. The man died a slow, agonizing death.

He did not appear to be of high birth, though he carried high quality equipment. I know not whether anything was stolen, but some valuable jewelry remained near the body. This is not an everyday burglary, this was a planned murder!

It is not clear to me, yet, whether or not he was killed for personal reasons, or whether we are in the midst of a plan grander than I can even imagine.

I will not allow any of us to pass until we have completed my agenda: An interview with each and every one of you, of your name, your business here, and any relationships you might have with any other travelers on this quest with us.

The post was edited 4 times, last by theunabletable: Fix RP that didn't match OP ().

• Ahh yes, of course, how silly of me. How can I ask for your names when I haven't given my own?

I am Sir Bill "the Table" Galagher the Careful II, son of Galagher the Valiant. I have sent a raven back to Athriel and informed the king of our predicament. It is a great distance even by air. With some luck, in 2 days time, his documentation and official seal shall confirm my identity and status as a man of the law.

Now I expect all of you to follow suit, post haste. Or else this will be a very slow journey indeed.

The post was edited 1 time, last by theunabletable ().

• Put away the knife, fool.
    *I look to the crowd and shout*
    Henceforth I -will not stand- for violence within our camp. The penalty for murder is death, and such justice will be dispensed upon the murderer, or murderers, amongst us. There is no justice without order, and without justice, how are we any different from the evil we have witnessed thus far?
    *back to Kutter*
    As for your concerns, in due time a raven shall return from my king and confirm my authority. Again, Athriel is a full day away by air with a good tailwind. Thus, no sooner than two days from now may I alleviate this pressure. It may take longer, but in time, surely, the raven will find its way back to myself. They don't call me "the Lucky" for nothing!

Until then, I can merely assure you that my intentions are clear and perfectly good: Kill the dragon; take the gold back to Athriel; and, most importantly, I must survive, for I am the only one who may adequately protect and advise my king.

Now, what is your purpose on this quest? Did you know the victim? Or any among our number?

The post was edited 4 times, last by theunabletable ().

• theunabletable wrote:

Ahh yes, of course, how silly of me. How can I ask for your names when I haven't given my own?

I am Sir Bill "the Table" Galagher the Careful II, son of Galagher the Valiant. I have sent a raven back to Athriel and informed the king of our predicament. It is a great distance even by air. With some luck, in 2 days time, his documentation and official seal shall confirm my identity and status as a man of the law.

Now I expect all of you to follow suit, post haste. Or else this will be a very slow journey indeed.
    How convenient, for I am William Notbill, and I declare upon my axe that I am better than anyone here, and most definitely neither a murderer nor associated with such fiends. My axe is an instrument of peace.
  • theunabletable wrote:

The penalty for murder is death, and such justice will be dispensed upon the murderer, or murderers, amongst us. There is no justice without order, and without justice, how are we any different from the evil we have witnessed thus far?
    "I hope you see the own irony of imposing rules on killing killers." A smirking girl, leaning on a wagon wheel, brushes her silver hair with a single hand motion. She continues talking, only making a split second of eye contact Gallagher. "Who's to say if someone killed you they could be penalized? That might solve more problems that you can even see."