Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Wind Waker's ending is dumb and so are the king and Tetra.
    • "He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted... That is what you said, is it not, Ganondorf?"

That's right, a thousand years of plotting, the destined hero and princess at your feet, and all I did was call dibs. Fuck you. Drown.

"Gods of the Triforce! Hear that which I desire! Hope! I desire hope for these children! Give them a future! Wash away this ancient land of Hyrule! Let a ray of hope shine on the future of the world!!!
      And let our destinies finally be fulfilled... Ganondorf! May you drown with Hyrule!!!"

Have you never read a genie story?
      You get one wish and then this yellow thing flies off or whatever. You asked three:
      1. Make it so these children will probably not get murdered (because that's what hope is; any probability of a good outcome).
      2. Flood Hyrule.
      3. Drown Ganondorf with that same water.
      Even then, few notes.

If you're going to kill the ancient evil, put a smaller time frame on it. Like, ask for him to disintegrate. Or get sealed into an alternate dimension. Or just have a heart attack.
      You have an omnipotent relic, and you ask for Ganondorf to drown with Hyrule. Not only is that kind of a dick move, as drowning is a nasty way to die, it also turned out to be very dangerous.

Well, looks like I'm gonna die, so I might as well absolutely murder these children in the few minutes where the omnipotent relic can't kill me.

============

"I have lived regretting the past. And I have faced those regrets. If only I could do things over again. Not a day of my life has gone by without my thoughts turning to my kingdom of old.
      I have lived bound to Hyrule. In that sense, I was the same as Ganondorf."

Alright, time out, side-bar, hold the phone.

Is anyone going to explain why flooding Hyrule is a good idea?
      I mean, yes, the bad guy wanted Hyrule unflooded. Hoo wee you shared a thought with a villain. Big deal. The Nazis had an anti-tabacco campaign. Sometimes evil has a point.

Islands are very tiny and very underpopulated. "Scattered leaves on a pond" indeed. Hyrule would allow for some much-needed expansion of territory.

============

"I want you to live for the future. There may be nothing left for you... But despite that, you must look forward and walk a path of hope, trusting that it will sustain you when darkness comes."

Well, since the king said it, it must be right. Goodbye friends and family, I need to go too for some reason.

"Farewell...
      This is the only world that your ancestors were able to leave you.

Please... forgive us."

You were literally holding omnipotence a short while ago, and making wishes on it like nobody's business. And you used that wish to give us even more water.

Speaking of ancestors:

This guy, this hunk-of-a-trunk, father of Koroks, absolute forward-thinker, floods can't stop him even though he's literally stuck to the ground knows the old tongue, knows the old hero. He's got his own idea about the Great Sea.

"Forests hold great power--they can change one tiny island into a much larger island. Soon, a day will come when all the islands are one, connected by earth and grove.
      And the people who live on that great island will be able to join hands and, together, create a better world.

Such is my dream."

Boom. No need to go anywhere. Ancestors will make you a pretty new world using magic trees.
      He also has an enormous sidequest in this game where you actually help grow every seed, ensuring that his legacy will cause enormous forests some day that will connect the Great Sea into a supercontinent.

But no. This quest has no impact on the ending.

============

"Yes, of course... We have a ship! We can find it. We WILL find it! The land that will be the next Hyrule!"

"... Ah, but child... That land will not be Hyrule.

It will be YOUR land!"

Many years later, Tetra finds a new land, and decides to call it Hyrule, just to spit on the ending of this game some more.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

• Anyway, that was hilarious to read. And yea, it is a little weird.

I think one reason why Nohanson wanted Link and Zelda to find a new place to call Hyrule is to leave the mistakes of the old Hyrule behind. Yes, the old Hyrule is submerged underwater. But it's still there. Maybe Nohanson thought that sailing away from the location of the submerged Hyrule was a way of "putting it to rest" and finally leaving the past and its mistakes behind.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

• Happy Person wrote:

Maybe King Hyrule was hoping that the Demise curse would drown with Hyrule. Advanced technology exists within Hyrule, but it can't quite seem to get off the ground because a giant pig man destroys everything every hundred years or so.

As for naming the new land Hyrule though... I agree with what I suspect is a slightly facetious post.
      I doubt that. Given how far in the future WW is from SS ( a fuckton of centuries) the knowledge of Demise would've long since been deminished by that point.
    • Keyaki wrote:

Happy Person wrote:

Maybe King Hyrule was hoping that the Demise curse would drown with Hyrule. Advanced technology exists within Hyrule, but it can't quite seem to get off the ground because a giant pig man destroys everything every hundred years or so.

As for naming the new land Hyrule though... I agree with what I suspect is a slightly facetious post.
      I doubt that. Given how far in the future WW is from SS ( a fuckton of centuries) the knowledge of Demise would've long since been deminished by that point.
      They don't need to know about Demise specifically to notice the pattern of Ganon emerging again and again. However, I believe I just discredited myself. Ganon had only appeared twice, right? (Once in OoT and again in TWW's backstory). Well... so much for that. :(
    • Keyaki wrote:

I think one reason why Nohanson wanted Link and Zelda to find a new place to call Hyrule is to leave the mistakes of the old Hyrule behind. Yes, the old Hyrule is submerged underwater. But it's still there. Maybe Nohanson thought that sailing away from the location of the submerged Hyrule was a way of "putting it to rest" and finally leaving the past and its mistakes behind.
      okay but platitudes aside, what does that accomplish?

This is the equivalent of throwing out your beautiful TV because you dislike commercials.

Happy Person wrote:

Ah yes of course, the point was to stop Ganon forever.
      If only Daphnes had some sort of way to break the curse.

It's a shame, in the whole "use the omnipotent wishing artifact to erase the place I've been protecting for centuries, have Link fight to the death with the man who beat him twice in under a second, then drown myself" event chain, I can't think of a single easier and more straightforward way to break said curse.

Luckily Daphnes' actions made it so the future of not-Hyrule is full of hope and good--

• See, I really LIKED the atmosphere. Despite all the deus ex machina, the writing feels good.
      The big bad questions the Gods and the princess, and it's hard to disagree.
      The big bad shares his struggles with the hero. The big bad doesn't use any more force than he needs, and lets it be known he does not want to kill children who have just been swept into this.

Suddenly, a pointless climactic battles because the villain has already been defeated, he's just feeling murderous. Chilling! Beautiful drop of Ganondorf's facade.
      Losing an important character at the end.
      No way to save Hyrule.
      Link's heroism forces him to leave his family one last time.

The only issue is that the Triforce wish these events revolve around...
      ... was incomprehensible and dumb.

• gamtos wrote:

Have you never read a genie story?
      You get one wish and then this yellow thing flies off or whatever. You asked three:
      1. Make it so these children will probably not get murdered (because that's what hope is; any probability of a good outcome).
      2. Flood Hyrule.
      3. Drown Ganondorf with that same water.

What? First of all, the third "wish" wasn't a wish, but more of a "you deserve to drown". Something I interpreted as outside the wish. The "hope-thing" was something I interpreted as "Link and Zelda WILL survive the fight", but the reason why we didn't saw a long cutscene where Ganondorf gets killed and why we had to fight him was because Wind Waker is a damn video game, and it would suck with a Zelda game without a final boss-battle. To me all his speech reflected ONE wish, basically "don't look back at the past, but forward into the future", which implies flood Hyrule and let's just start everything over with something new. The king basically knew when to stop and give up on the old.

That is my interpretation of the whole thing.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• Moving on to what could have been, had Wind Waker's ending not been dumb and bad...

=====

THE AT WOULD BE THE SUPERIOR PLACEMENT FOR BOTW

The hero and the sages are all remembered because all of them existed and actually did the things they were remembered for.

Vah Medoh is named after Medli.

The Rito are just... Rito.

The Koroks and the GDT returning makes sense as they only continue on in the AT.

The GDT sidequest in Wind Waker, for that matter, would actually lead to something.

Ganon's insane form would make more sense.
      His forms include:

Big Boar

Spiderman

Fat worm thing

Perfect match!

• MVS wrote:

What? First of all, the third "wish" wasn't a wish, but more of a "you deserve to drown". Something I interpreted as outside the wish.

That's even worse! King Hyrule could destroy the cause of the flood right there and then, and instead... lets the kids fight while he refloods Hyrule???

THIS IS A SHITTY WISH.

The "hope-thing" was something I interpreted as "Link and Zelda WILL survive the fight", but the reason why we didn't saw a long cutscene where Ganondorf gets killed and why we had to fight him was because Wind Waker is a damn video game, and it would suck with a Zelda game without a final boss-battle.

Could they not have switched the order of events so first we have the climactic Ganon battle and it CAUSES king Daphnes to do the magic yoink? That's just proper pacing.
      Makes me feel like I didn't just spend the entire game collecting resources just to get smacked down, only for the king to destroy Ganon because of the dumbass playground rule "I touched it first, blehhh!"

To me all his speech reflected ONE wish, basically "don't look back at the past, but forward into the future", which implies flood Hyrule and let's just start everything over with something new. The king basically knew when to stop and give up on the old. That is my interpretation of the whole thing.

And then they went on to live in Hyrule 2.0 and got haunted by a different demon king, but this one's different from Hyrule because this one's got trains.

Honestly does the Triforce even do anything because I'm starting to have doubts.

The post was edited 2 times, last by gamtos ().

• @gamtos I don't know if you are just trolling or trying to be funny, but first of all Hyrule isn't the western world with the same ethics and shit. In their world Link is probably considered an adult, and why wouldn't the king rely on him since he is the hero of winds? And since he made that wish he knew that Link (and Zelda) would prevail anyway so what is the problem?

Why are you so obsessed with taking back the old Hyrule? It's not like there is overpopulation going on above anyway. Why resurrect a whole museum? There is probably a lot of cultural and religious reasons behind his decision as well. "Just start on a new page and shake off the problematic past".

And I could also guess the king talked from his own emotions and desires as well. He was bound to the old Hyrule, and probably he saw this as a good way/opportunity to say goodbye and create a barrier between the old and the new. The old Hyrule was pretty much a huge graveyard, so let it just be in peace. Something along those lines. I don't f***ing know, I just give you possible reasons.
    • I thought the point of the ending was them leaving the past behind thrm and I dot mean in the context of the game but for the series itself

At least until they went nope made two sequels and very OOT inspired TP

Also wouldn’t it be more important to wish the triforce away? It’s not just gandorf he was washing away it was the culture surroding thr trifrocd itself . If it’s not Ganon it would be someone else
    • Guinea wrote:

Well, let's just say that if Daphnes was about, oh I don't know, ten steps to the left, the ending would've been drastically different.

Dude saw his chance, took it, and spat out the first thing that came to mind.

I mean, when you have the ancient evil mofo Ganon staring you down...

I'm too sleepy right now.
      That is also a good point. Daphne was just a flawed human/hylian as everyone else, not a god that always know what to say or do for the best outcome. Ganondorf stood just a couple of meters away, so it was not the time to be thinking what the best wish would be, so I think he just spoke from his heart/his desires (pretty much what I mentioned earlier). And if it is ONE wish that is allowed, I think he really prioritized the future over everything else.

It is always easy to be a smartass afterwards.