Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    *Health/Fitness/Wellness 2019*
    • Row row row your boat, gently down the stream
      Oh what a burn from this amazing rowing machine

Implemented my rowing circuit, HIIT structured, back in today where I go through a variation of grips and angles. Loved it.

Back, bis, forearms down
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19
    • Did about 45 minutes of rowing today. In a few days I might up it to an hour a day.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • Another 45 minutes of rowing today. I've been pretty good with my diet, too. I'm hopeful that I'll stick to this. I've already lost some weight.

• HI THREAD. Never posted on one of these I think BUT changed have started happening.

Last year (and all years before LMAO) I was a sedentary wreck. Diabetes scare happened, not actually ill so yay. And trying to move on to caring about myself and my appearance happened too.

It's probably really small for y'all but I'm currently on my third consecutive day of doing this 7 minute workout thing following a video xD It leaves me wiped bc I'm puny af but, yeah. That's important to me since I've never done anything of the sort before, for consecutive days. Here's to keeping it up :3
    • FroyoClaus wrote:

HI THREAD. Never posted on one of these I think BUT changed have started happening.

Last year (and all years before LMAO) I was a sedentary wreck. Diabetes scare happened, not actually ill so yay. And trying to move on to caring about myself and my appearance happened too.

It's probably really small for y'all but I'm currently on my third consecutive day of doing this 7 minute workout thing following a video xD It leaves me wiped bc I'm puny af but, yeah. That's important to me since I've never done anything of the sort before, for consecutive days. Here's to keeping it up :3
      I'm rooting for you!

As for myself, I've managed to stick to my resolve of walking home from work! Unfortunately, I won't be doing it tomorrow. I'm not going to work tomorrow because I need to see a doctor, there's something really wrong with my heels and I've been stubborn long enough.
      Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club
    • I'm looking into going back to the gym. I've actually worked out before because I was recovering from an eating disorder and needed very necessary mass, but I'm still very thin and have mostly been focusing on running. However, I would love to feel even stronger and I loved the feeling of continuously getting even stronger and stronger.

Hopefully I'll start back either this week or next week.
    • Hey fitness folks! Glad to see you are all off to a great start in 2019! It's great we have some ZUers who are newer to fitness here!

Sometimes getting into fitness and going to the gym for the first time can be a little intimidating so.. gather round the fitness fireside chat and let me share a little story:

Once upon a time I was a skinnyfat Winnie. Or maybe more fat than skinny. The details are not important. Anyway I had recently moved, started a new job, and my new roommate went to the gym CONSTANTLY. So finally after a couple months I gave into peer pressure and signed up for the gym.

Well my roommate who happened to be a bodybuilder and also a police officer decided to show me what's what at the gym. Even though he was WAY farther along on his fitness journey than me, he took me into the weightlifting area--not the little machine circuit area--the area where all the insanely jacked guys work out (the gyms version of the deep end)--and showed me how to lift. And since I was a pipsqueak he showed me how to lift 2 and 5 lb weights (10 lbs were out of the question).

AND he showed me how to bench. How much weight? Whatever weight the bar was because no weight was added to it.

At first I was really embarrassed because everyone else was in great shape and I obviously was there FOR A REASON because I was not in shape! BUT, having my roomie there telling me that everyone starts somewhere, you get points just for showing up and people seeing you working, helped me relax and just focus on me and my goals--and not compare myself to others. That was 8 years ago and thanks to him patiently introducing fitness into my life, I'm still hitting the gym and loving it.

Here's the main takeaway: it doesn't matter if you start your fitness journey by walking to and from work, or if your fitness journey starts with 7 minutes, or even just swapping out potato chips for veggies. The point is you started, everyone starts somewhere, and as long as you concentrate on you and are in competition with yourself from the previous day--and remember it isn't a competition with other people--you are going to get somewhere and see results.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Winnie ().

• I need to lose some weight I gained around 3 pounds over the holidays and I am now at about 215 for my height I am around 30 lbs over what I should be and I find that I have a lot more heart burn when I am much more than 200 I think a lot of that is my depression and stress I am felling in my life that causes heart burn to. Even being like 200 tends to help my hurt burn a lot. The bad thing is I have been felling stuck in life for a long long time cant stand my job and have not been able to find a new job for a long time and not for lack of trying. Because of this I have a lot of depression and its hard for me to stay motivated. I also hate to work out has it fells to much like a choire and I have asythma and that makes it hard to work out to. I got an elliptical and a Total gym in my apartment has I am more likely to work out that way has I am not having to leave my place to work out and having to pay for a gym membership each month and I can just work out while I watch sports my number one passion is sports. I started working out on Jan 1st and had only taken like 1 day off threw Jan 9th but unfortactly I started to get a cold on the night of the 10th so now I am having to take a break. 2nd cold I have had this winter had one around like early December/ late November. I have a hard time not getting sick didn't used to get sick much but now ever sinces I have had to work at a grocery store and being around the public I have a really hard time not getting sick in winter and fall just another reasons I hate winter .Cold and flu seasons dark way to early and weather sucks. I think also part of it is that I have not gotten much sleep the last several years and I known depression/anxienty/lack of sleep all make you more likely to get sick.

My hours I have to work also make it kind of hard to lose weight because I dont do well if I cant eat at a normal time than I tend to bing and I am not the type of person that can skip meals either. I have been getting like 2-3 days a week for the last several months where I am eating 4 meals instead of 3 because of the hours I am working. I am hoping that I can lose some weight once I can start working out again and that I can get back to getting sleep again. I cant do any thing about my stress a new job would make me like 90% less stress and depressed. So I can only do so much when it comes to finding a new job. I start school again in a few weeks should be able to get my AA by the end of this year sure hoping it helps with trying to find a new job. But I am hoping that if I can work out more and get better sleep that I can lose weight has that is the one part of my healty I can improve right now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zeldaisthebest! ().

• Rambo wrote:

^---I get it about work drama. I got into the habit of auto pilot responses when people want to gossip or whine. "Oh! That'll be fun!" he said to the coworker on their way to a funeral.

----

Anyhow, got my workout in this morning at 330am :) Chest, shoulders, tris and 4 mile jog

Though, I'm posting for an anonymous mention that motivates me. There's this girl in my gym always showing up early, but in particular, she works on the stairmaster carrying a weighted barbell for 30 minutes to 1 hr consistently. #nostalker.

Going for that long on a stair master can already be difficult for a casual goer, but carrying a log uphill, hands overhead, for that long through discipline rather than an external motivation, I imagine is quite the feat. I think I'll start gunning to do this myself eventually just for the mental toughness.

I guess you can say that'll be one of my goals this year along next to my basic b**** goals.

Train hard and enjoy your week you weirdos!
      A 4 mile Jog by its self would kill me lol. I can only run/Jog like 1/4 mile and than I have to walk lol.
    • And that's perfectly fine. That was pretty much me when I first started running years ago. I'd start out walking a mile then run a 1/4. Then I'd increase it to more intervals of that followed by walking 0.50 miles then running a half and so on.

We all start somewhere and have particular exercises that interest us. Cardio has always been a favorite of mine for its therapeutic benefits.
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19
    • Woohoo new fitness thread!-!

This is perfect. I’m currently at the gym cycling for my first workout of 2019! I dropped the ball the end of last year in a bad way. There was a lot going on and I just didn’t have the mental strength for the gym. But I’ve decided to stop that.

I’ve also had swelling and tenderness in the back of my calf. My doctor thinks it’s bakers cyst- something that can happen from not being active. Since I got my job in September I sit NINE HOURS A DAY. And without doing activities out of work it doesn’t surprise me that this happened. But it’s a wake up call to stop letting myself be lazy!

Plus I’m on the bike now and it feels awesome!

ALSO because it’s been way too long, I’m officially going to be starting a NEW FITNESS CHALLENGE starting in February! If anyone doesn’t know what that is you can check out the old threads in the community archive in community central! They’re a lot of fun and I love that we get steady interest. And I would love new people in there!

And I actually have access to my programs to make signature prizes I’ve promised in the past that were never delivered. So double yay! I’ll be making up a sign up thread prolly next week so we can get started by February first. Keep an eye out!

Happy workouts and remember- stay positive!

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
      | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• I fucked up yesterday and my main meal was lots of brownies. But I will get back and at it tomorrow haha

I made more progress when it came to upping my weights and doing more and more. I have noticed my upper body is being more toned and I do see a difference in my back muscles as well.

Aaaah I am just hella happy overall

Also that bet that the fam wanted to do dropped out so I won that money, yay me
    • I hit a milestone today: first time I've had to lubricate my rowing machine. It had been making some alarming squeaky noises.

• Hey guys, normally I always go to the gym for workouts but with my new commute the motivation to drive anywhere is lacking, and my apartment gym always has people in it. For an introvert it can be a pain to always have to be around people with workouts so...... I got myself a nice little exercise bike!

It also means I went to Home Depot and felt like a boss getting a 3x6 giant piece of wood to put my bike on!
    • That's why I got a rowing machine when my apartment has a gym. I don't really want to be around people while I'm working out (or many other times, for that matter). For another thing, the gym is in another building and it would take me about five minutes to walk there, and considering I do my workouts in short bursts, the commutes would take up significant time and/or disincline me from actually working out.