Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    *Health/Fitness/Wellness 2019*
    • Welcome to the new Health/Fitness/Wellness thread for 2019! Ah that new thread smell, at least for this thread it better smell like gains!

Let’s kick off the new year by talking about what we accomplished last year and hope to accomplish this year. Whether that’s related to fitness goals, healthy aspirations related to diet, random things involving fitness that you want to check off your bucket list, and even personal milestones related to confidence building, etc. What are you focusing on this year for improving your life?

The post was edited 3 times, last by Winnie ().

• Ooh new thread!!

Happy New Year Winnie, and the rest of the health and fitness gang!

Hmm what did I accomplish last year? Well following the my achievements of the previous year, I've managed to get into more of a routine, working out 3 times a week and for the most part I've managed to stick to it. I've taken a break over the holiday season but I plan to pick it up again starting next week.

I've noticed results over the last 7 months since I started working out regularly, finding that I'm gradually managing to progress to heavier weights. Unfortunately I don't have anyone available to spot for me when I'm working out. Due to other commitments my friend isn't always available, especially at the times when I want to work out, and I can hardly expect my 67-year-old mother to do it! With this in mind I've invested in a set of spotter catchers so I can continue my lifting journey safely.

I'm strong enough now to do push-ups properly, which I couldn't when I started out. I'm intending to incorporate this into my routine, aiming to at least do 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups on days when I don't do any other exercise.

I feel so much better, more confident, and I actually like the way my body looks - something I've never been able to say before.

Another plan for this year is swimming. I don't know if it will become a regular thing yet, but I used to enjoy it as a kid. I haven't been swimming since I was about 14, and I wasn't very good even back then, but for some time I've wanted to give it another go. So as it's a new year (and given my new found confidence in my body :lol: ) I thought the time is right to give it a go. So I'm going to get some lessons and see where it takes me! If nothing else it will hopefully give me something to do in terms of exercise when cycling isn't an option due to weather etc.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Skywing ().

• YES

So in my area they built a new planet fitness gym which is like 15 minutes closer than the one I was going to the town over. Best part is, “new gym” has “new equipment” for me grace myself all over

SO because of that, i have been doing more full body workouts that has been leaving me hella sore.

—————

This is what I have done today;

Playing with the ropes for 4 minutes (1 minute per)
      • I beat at the same time for 15 seconds
      • I beat with the left arm for 15 seconds
      • I beat with the right arm for 15 seconds
      • I beat the ropes at an interval for 15 seconds
      After a minute of doing the ropes, I would start doing 30 second mountain climbers, then 30 second planks in between (this would be after set 1 + 3)

I would also do 30 second burpees, and 30 second side planks on both sides (this would be after set 2 + 4)

I would still do my normal kettle ball exercises in between those as my “rest” period. (They included Russian swings, goblet squats, lunges etc...)

—————

For basic free weights, I upped my dumbbell weight as well;

• Bench press: 35lbs 3x10
      • Incline: 30lbs 3x12
      • Bicep curl: 25lbs 3x10
      • Sitted shoulder press: 40lbs 3x8

Those are just some examples now for my lower body;

• Squat: 350lbs 3x6
      • Front squat (at least that’s what I’m calling it): 150lbw 3x8
      • Leg press: 450lbs 3x12
      • Leg extensions: 140lbs 4x8

If anyone has known me for a long time, leg day is every day for me.
    • Biggest move of 2019 so far...tossed out my Scotch glasses. It wasn't a New Years resolution or anything...I just got sick of looking at them.

I was actually decluttering the heck out of my place, especially any enabling items, and decided to toss out some dishes too. I like a spatious living area and it kind of helps my mind stay clear and healthy too. Plus, cartwheels reduce aging yo.
      ---

Gym finally returns to normal hours tomorrow so I'll be hitting it at odd hours to avoid resolution traffic.
    • Ooh, a shiny, new thread!

I'm happy with the groove I've had the last several months and I'm going to keep it up :) I'm feeling healthy and strong and that's what I'm planning on continuing feeling like.

I was actually going to ask if anyone had any recommendations for exercises targeting obliques (side of the abs) without machinery.
    • I started working out again yesterday. Did 15 minutes of rowing. Did another 30 today. I plan on getting to an hour a day eventually, at least on those days I don't walk to and from work.

I've also tried to cut down on salt. I've been buying lightly salted versions of things like peanuts, and only using half the soy sauce powder on my instant ramen.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I’m doing the 30 day abs challenge using the app. They have 2 challenges each for beginner, intermediate, and advanced. So my plan is to basically just work my way up to the next level each month. It’s so easy and for me it actually works, even though it only takes a few minutes a day.

It starts out with sit ups, crunches, leg raises, and planks, and gradually adds more exercises as you continue.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Winnie ().

• My "core" routine is basically:
      3-4 sets of incline sit ups
      3-4 sets of hanging leg/knee raises
      3-4 sets of some kind of cable oblique exercise (pallof press, wood chop)
      5 ish sets of hyperextensions/reverse hypers

I do this routine once or twice a week, with the main point being for general health/posture/back health. I do about 10 reps per set with all exercises. Once 10 reps get's easy, I add resistance. For example, I started off doing regular situps with arms crossed, then with hands behind my head, now I'm doing incline sit ups, and now I hold a 5 lb plate behind my head. Usually my abs are fairly tired by the time I do hanging leg raises so I still do knee raises sometimes. Sometimes I do planks after and sometimes I do ab roller things. Sometimes I do cable crunches for more ab strength focus stuff. If there is enough space at the gym, I'll do a circuit but I've only done that a couple times since I feel bad using so much equipment haha.
    • Well I did my first workout of 2019 today, after a couple of weeks off. I kept it short today as my shoulder started giving me trouble so I didn't want to risk injury. I'll soon be back in the routine and hopefully continuing to see results. I'm confident I can bench press more now, at least I would if it wasn't for the shoulder. It's something that comes and goes from time to time, usually doesn't last more than a day or two.
    • tomorrow i go back to work, boooo.
      sadness aside, i'm making myself walk home tomorrow (and every day this week, for that matter). i need to keep up with it so i'm used to it before it warms up. it will make the summer walk much less godawful.

i've just been off for 10 days, and i gotta say, i think i needed it. i was getting too caught up in work drama and caring way too much. i feel like i've had a reset and am confident i can go back with all the detachment in the world. i'm not paid enough to give a shit, and i'm not going to. it's weird how i forgot that i'm much better at my job (and happier) when i just do it and not really talk to people. i've never really been one to get close to people at work (or share much about myself), and i greatly prefer it that way! it's nothing negative, i just like my personal life kept separate is all. so, a bit of mental wellness going forward! :)
      Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club
    • ^---I get it about work drama. I got into the habit of auto pilot responses when people want to gossip or whine. "Oh! That'll be fun!" he said to the coworker on their way to a funeral.

----

Anyhow, got my workout in this morning at 330am :) Chest, shoulders, tris and 4 mile jog

Though, I'm posting for an anonymous mention that motivates me. There's this girl in my gym always showing up early, but in particular, she works on the stairmaster carrying a weighted barbell for 30 minutes to 1 hr consistently. #nostalker.

Going for that long on a stair master can already be difficult for a casual goer, but carrying a log uphill, hands overhead, for that long through discipline rather than an external motivation, I imagine is quite the feat. I think I'll start gunning to do this myself eventually just for the mental toughness.

I guess you can say that'll be one of my goals this year along next to my basic b**** goals.

Train hard and enjoy your week you weirdos!
    • of course today it's been snowing steadily all day and is still steadily snowing. "why don't you just catch the bus today?" "i won't judge you if you want me to pick you up later" "it's awful outside!"
      you get the idea.

has it been snowing all day? yes.
      is it still snowing? yes.
      is it awful outside? yes!

but, did i still walk home? heck yeah i did! also, bonus points, i shoveled the driveway when i got home~

sure, it's not the gym or a fancy workout. and suuure, walking home from work doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people. i mean, it's JUST a walk, right?
      first of all! that 'just a walk' is 45 minutes of uphill the whole way. not even just a little uphill either, these'll make your legs burn. mountains and bluffs and all that fun stuff that is gorgeous to look at.
      secondly! that walk is a huge deal for me! walking this terrain my entire life is the reason why i'm a whole heck of a lot stronger than i look. and it just feels good, damn good. i lose a lot of confidence in myself if i'm not able to do it.

i do hope it stops snowing though, i almost fell in a ditch because i got excited about doggy footprints and forgot to watch where i was going...
      Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club
    • Walked 40 minutes and rowed 30 minutes today. Pretty good, overall.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • sure, it's not the gym or a fancy workout. and suuure, walking home from work doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people. i mean, it's JUST a walk, right?

Nah it's a big deal! I walk to and from work (it's downhill one way and uphill the other) and it makes a huge difference to my confidence and energy levels. My Garmin watch tells me I burn a shitload of calories doing it too, so I can eat cookies :)

Ok 2019!!!

Last year. Started off butts, sedentary job and back injury and sitting on my ass all day. Felt horrible. Ended with me moving, getting an active job and losing 7 lb just from lifestyle changes.

This year. Fitness goals. Not really a numerical target.
      Not trying to lose weight but. I want to be faster and stronger! I want to hike to the top of all the mountains in this town, and find all the geocaches! That's my goal!!
    • Colu wrote:

of course today it's been snowing steadily all day and is still steadily snowing. "why don't you just catch the bus today?" "i won't judge you if you want me to pick you up later" "it's awful outside!"
      you get the idea.

has it been snowing all day? yes.
      is it still snowing? yes.
      is it awful outside? yes!

but, did i still walk home? heck yeah i did! also, bonus points, i shoveled the driveway when i got home~

sure, it's not the gym or a fancy workout. and suuure, walking home from work doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people. i mean, it's JUST a walk, right?
      first of all! that 'just a walk' is 45 minutes of uphill the whole way. not even just a little uphill either, these'll make your legs burn. mountains and bluffs and all that fun stuff that is gorgeous to look at.
      secondly! that walk is a huge deal for me! walking this terrain my entire life is the reason why i'm a whole heck of a lot stronger than i look. and it just feels good, damn good. i lose a lot of confidence in myself if i'm not able to do it.

i do hope it stops snowing though, i almost fell in a ditch because i got excited about doggy footprints and forgot to watch where i was going...
      shoveling and/or digging is an amazing workout I think. chuck palahniuk did an interview where he said his workout was mostly digging trenches and laying cinderblocks in them iirc