Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Normal
    Best of 2018
    • ~* Top 4 Perfumes of 2018 *~

4. Oriental Sans Souci (Le Jardin Retrouvé)
      In early 2018, independent perfume house Le Jardin Retrouvé held a rather unusual event called the Perfume Revival Project. Four perfumes were chosen from thousands of formulae created by late perfumer Yuri Gusatz (who originally founded the house), and were recreated and brought to IFRA standards by the current in-house perfumer for Le Jardin Retrouvé, Maxence Moutte. Fragrance enthusiasts from all over the world were sent samples of these four revived perfumes, each labeled only with a color -- yellow, red, green, or black, and were instructed to wear the perfumes and vote on a favorite. The winning perfume was produced in a limited edition run of 200 bottles, and fans who sampled and voted on the fragrances had the first opportunity to purchase the winner at full size. Lucky for me, my favorite perfume won and I was able to purchase a 50 mL bottle of this lovely fragrance. In fact, I managed to purchase bottle #1 of 200!

The winning fragrance, which was labeled with a black dot in the sample pack, was named Oriental Sans Souci and its original formula was created in 1963. Oriental Sans Souci is named after the Garden of Sans Souci Palace in Potsdam, Germany and features notes of bergamot, vanilla, amber, patchouli, tonka bean and neroli. For me the vanilla and tonka bean take centre stage, producing a warm, addictive, and almost gourmand scent.

3. Bat (Zoologist)
      Founded in 2013, Zoologist is a Canadian perfume house and the brain child of perfume enthusiast Victor Wong. Zoologist perfumes are all about animals -- habitat, behaviors, and, of course, their smells! Each perfume offered by Zoologist was created by a different talented perfumer, and all of Zoologist's ingredients are animal-friendly, featuring synthetic versions of popular animal musks.

Bat was created by Dr. Ellen Covey and was launched in 2015 (it took me until 2018 to try it, hah). It is a unique fragrance with notes of banana, soft fruits, damp Earth, fig, tropical fruits, minerals, myrrh, resins, vegetal roots, furry musks, leather, vetiver, sandalwood, and tonka bean. It was the winner of the Art and Olfaction Awards in the Independent category in 2016. To me, Bat smells like sweet tropical fruits that are dangerously walking the line between ripe and rotten as they begin to decompose in damp soil.

2. Green Wheat & Meadowsweet (Jo Malone London)
      Green Wheat & Meadowsweet was released in 2018 as one of five fragrances that made up the English Fields limited edition collection by Jo Malone London. The five fragrances in the collection were created by Céline Roux and Mathilde Bijaoui and focused on scents and scenes of the English countryside in spring time. All five fragrances paired a different grain, e.g., oat, barley, rye, with a different English wild flower.

Green Wheat & Meadowsweet is a simple-smelling fragrance that is very true to its name; it features green notes and notes of wheat, meadowsweet, and grapefruit.

1. Rose Trocadéro (Le Jardin Retrouvé)
      Rose Trocadéro was originally launched in 1976 and was formulated by niche perfumer Yuri Gusatz, who sold it under the name Rose Thé (Tea Rose). It was brought back to market in 2016 when Michel Gusatz and Clara Feder (Yuri's son and daughter-in-law) revived Yuri's company using the original formulae created by Yuri.

I first sampled this fragrance while I was living in Ireland. The 2 mL portion I was given as a sample did not last more than a week; I found that morning, day, and night I had a desire to re-spray this delicate fragrance and experience it for another few hours. Alas, the high price tag kept me from purchasing a bottle right away (as well as the expectation that I would be moving home soon, and, yikes, I had built up quite a collection of fragrances while in Ireland that I was not sure at the time would make it home via my checked luggage).

After I was back in Canada, I could not get my mind off of this perfume. One night, a night just after I got paid, I woke up at around 3 a.m. and in a daze ordered the largest size offered online. It was not what I expected to spend that money on, but I do not regret it!

Rose Trocadéro features notes of rose, blackcurrant bud, clove, and musk. I was pleased to see that it was given a four-star review (out of a possible five stars) by perfume critics Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez in their 2018 edition of Perfumes: The Guide. It is a sophisticated, classic fragrance that does not smell dated. This perfume reminds me of sitting in the garden in mid-summer on a cool day beside a rose bush, with young green plants surrounding me.
      [signature by RealmWings]

The post was edited 2 times, last by boxes ().

• I like cologne, but I don't use it often. I just watched two reviews on Youtube about the Bat fragrance and one person really liked it while the other was like "ehhh it's not bad."

My personal favorite fragrance of all time has to be Twilight Woods for Men. It just smells... so darn good lol

Now, for the best thing's about 2018:

1. I reconnected with some old friends of mine that I haven't seen in almost six years, and lately I've been spending time with them and that has been a complete blessing. I really missed having irl friends.

2. I quit drinking. Instead of alcohol I buy juice, and needless to say I feel much better.

3. I've rediscovered my love of writing. Especially poetry. It's so nice to just jot down a line or two and slowly form it into something special. Writing helps me relieve stress as well.

4. I bought a Switch finally, and now I see what all the fuss is about. If I ever drop this thing I'm going to scream.

5. I got a new bed that's much more comfy than my old one. No more back pain in the morning! Woo!

Hmm... other than those five things, and numerous little things here and there, this year has been completely horrible and I hope 2019 is nothing like the dumpster-fire 2018 has turned out to be.
    • Top 5 Best BTS Songs (Not Counting Solos) of 2018:
      Display Spoiler
      1. Answer: Love Myself

2. 134340 (ONE OF THE MOST UNDERRATED BTS SONGS EVER)

3. Paradise

4. IDOL

5. I’m Fine

Best Humming Urban Stereo Songs of 2018 (Not Counting Rereleased Songs):
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jimin ().

• ooh, this is tough! i'll have to think of some things for a list! 2018 was both big and small for me, if that makes sense haha.

lovin' that detailed list on perfume though, i didn't realise it could be so involved with so much behind it. i don't wear perfume, and even my deodorant is completely scent-free (it's this natural salt block thing that you have to get wet before applying)!

but yeah, i'll think of some things to share here :)
      Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club
    • boxes wrote:

Founded in 2013, Zoologist is a Canadian perfume house and the brain child of perfume enthusiast Victor Wong. Zoologist perfumes are all about animals -- habitat, behaviors, and, of course, their smells! Each perfume offered by Zoologist was created by a different talented perfumer, and all of Zoologist's ingredients are animal-friendly, featuring synthetic versions of popular animal musks.
      I'm disappointed by the lack of a fox scent.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • Favourite things I've done or events that happened in 2018 (no particular order):
      • Andy and I getting our own place
      • Going to Metrotown on a whim, not realizing it was Black Friday weekend and super fricken busy, which made it really funny because it was lke "duh"
      • Vancouver Christmas Market and all the food it has to offer
      • Getting a new (to us, it's a 2004 Ford Focus) car (that I can actually drive)

New things I picked up/learned to do in 2018:
      • How to make macarons (I'm still perfecting them, but they're flippin' awesome)
      • Calligraphy (I like, just started doing this, I'll have to try and share my progress in 2019!)
      • Discovering that I can just throw in ham and cheese into my sourdough biscuit recipe and it turns out amaaaazing

There was other stuff, but I tend to put things off for ages and then don't remember what I was going to say/do (unless I've taken notes lmao)
      Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club
    • My favs of 2018?

Seeing my favourite video game cover metal band Powerglove live again for the first time since around 2013. And also being guestlisted to see the show for free. The perks of knowing the band members :)

Selling our place and buying a better place closer to work. Life is improving with such a shorter commute this place is better in nearly every way. Instead of a carport to park the car, we have a two car garage so now we can park completely indoors and have more storage for our crap. All the bedrooms are bigger for everyone and the downstairs mancave is even better.