Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Let’s talk about JRPGS
    • Baten Kaitos was epic I thought. I loved the little quests scattered about, but I NEVER knew what to do about the guy who stood under the waterfall.

The voice acting was ok, but not great. I liked the guy with the red hair (ugh I can't remember their names)

And idk what MC means, but if you mean THAT plot twist, yeah, it was so crazy it worked lol

I recommend the game. But I would play the second game first, since it's the prequel. (i'm about to see how much those two games are. i'm off to amazon)

Edit- $116 for both. Eh.
      :ghirahim: :cucco: :look: :tingle: :moon:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Guinea ().

• TruEdge67 wrote:

Baten Kaitos' voice acting isn't the best, to put it nicely. That said, you can turn it off and just treat it like an older rpg with no voice acting. As for the writing, it's been a while since I played it so I'd have to replay it to give an opinion in that. I do remember thinking that plot twist with them MC was pretty cool. Not gonna say what it is as not to spoil it for anyone, but if you've played Baten Kaitos, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I will say that the music 100% holds up. That I'm certain of. The music in Baten Kaitos is amazing.
      The plot twist works, and the Great Mizuti is great, and the rest of it is...not good. :P

Guinea wrote:

Baten Kaitos was epic I thought. I loved the little quests scattered about, but I NEVER knew what to do about the guy who stood under the waterfall.

The voice acting was ok, but not great. I liked the guy with the red hair (ugh I can't remember their names)

And idk what MC means, but if you mean THAT plot twist, yeah, it was so crazy it worked lol

I recommend the game. But I would play the second game first, since it's the prequel. (i'm about to see how much those two games are. i'm off to amazon)
      I used to not mind the voice acting, but it really grates on me now. Like even the opening trailer...thing, which doesn't have the cardboard tube effect, just has so many terrible line reads. "It's unthink...able. To. Act against. The Empire?!?!?!?!"

While I haven't played Origins, I'd generally say that playing prequels first is a bad idea. A prequel is generally made under the assumption that you've experienced the work it's a prequel to already, so it does lots of little references and foreward nods and stuff that will be missed if you're not familiar with the original work, and they also tend to spoil things from the sequels.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • You do have a good point there about the nods to the first, but then again, it would kinda work both ways with the nods.

I may get these games soon. Then all I'll need to get is some double-AA's to have a nostalgia trip.

Then I'd probably want to replay Skies of Arcadia again. And the cycle would never end of reliving the classics.

The Last Story is still a game I bust out the Wii for every now and again. I finally got everyone that freakin' Dragon Armor.

Oh and the remaster/remake or whatever of the first Crystal Chronicles looks so good. That's on the list. I missed out on it back in the day, and the only CC game I played was The Crystal Bearers. I actually really liked that one.
    • I didn't like Crystal Bearers, at all. It had some interesting ideas but the execution sucked and overall I don't think it was well deisgned. I remember being hyped about it but by the time it came out and I played it, it felt so "too little too late". If it was a launch windoe title it would definitely be more well received, like My Life As A King which was actually a fun little game.

I feel these days some of those games that were barely passable a generation or two ago are completely unplayable unless what made them passable was the story.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• @Please Understand

Oh the irony! I enjoyed The Crystal Bearer's but when I got hyped for My Life as King... I just set up three buildings, did a few quests, and... gave up.

My Life as Darklord, though. That was EPIC!

Do any of you FF fans remember Chocobo's Tower? It was a Facebook game put out by Square. It didn't last long, but it was unique. Is that game still around anywhere? I can't find it.

And about Suikoden... sadly, I've only read the Suikoden IV manga, but it does look awesome in game form.

• I remember this one character in the manga, he was this brooding trenchcoat wearing guy with a rifle. When some militants pulled guns on everyone, he was the only one who didn't raise his hands.

Is he in the game too? Cause that was my favorite character. Can't remember the name, it was a while back.

• JRPGs were one of my favorite genres as a kid.

I've mentioned my love of the Paper Mario games before, and while they are technically JRPGs, I don't usually categorize them as such. Like Pokémon, they satisfy the definition, but aesthetically they have significant differences from a typical JRPG.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles has been mentioned before, and it was quite good. The worldbuilding and atmosphere were excellent—islands of civilization in a toxic sea of desolation makes for an evocative setting. Gameplay-wise, it was decent, although to be fair I've never played it multiplayer.

Baiten Kaitos was good. People have been complaining about the voice acting—possibly justifiably, although it made no impression on me one way or the other. The story was rather generic. The pre-rendered backgrounds were quite quite elaborate, and the game often went out of its way to look nice.

On the more obscure side is the Evolution series for the Dreamcast, which I played in the form of the compilation Evolution Worlds for GameCube. It's a largely forgotten game, and to be honest it probably deserves it, but it must be said that few other games feature a butler that goes into battle with monsters while wielding a shotgun.

My favorite JRPG, however, is probably Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, mostly for its story. I've seen a lot of people say that the story in the original Final Fantasy Tactics is better, but while I've never played it, I doubt I would like it as much as Advance's. People complain about the change from religious and political intrigue to the fantasy life of unhappy schoolchildren, but Advance's story appeals to my idiosyncratic tastes in a way that few other games' stories have.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Marche is one of my favorite characters in all of video games.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I've yet to really play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for any length of time. It's not for a lack of wanting, though. I'm a pretty big fan of the original game.

I like a lot of RPGs from Japan which may or may not fall within this category (tbh I hardly understand what the JRPG genre is supposed to be). Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Faxanadu, Zelda II ( :P ), Bravely Default. My next Switch purchase is probably gonna be Octopath Traveler. That game looks really good.

Does Legacy of the Wizard count as a JRPG? That was a pretty good game that some of you might not have heard of. Or maybe it was just the music that was good. The game was hard!
      "Wow! This looks pretty heavy. You won't be able to lift it because you're a Dalek and have a plunger for a hand."

The post was edited 1 time, last by subrosiandalek ().

• JRPG usually just means "An RPG from Japan", because those tend to have certain similarities (usually pre-made characters and few, if any, meaningful plot choices. Instead you go through a pre-written story, while western RPGs tend towards being more open and less tightly-plotted).

Of course, what an "RPG" is is vague, too, and lots of Japanese-made RPGs are dungeon crawlers ala Wizardry, which arguably wouldn't count as a JRPG because you have character customization and the like, and on and on.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • Happy Person wrote:

Does Legacy of the Wizard count as a JRPG? That was a pretty good game that some of you might not have heard of. Or maybe it was just the music that was good. The game was hard!
      i've seen a playthrough of it. It's actually Dragon Slayer IV: Drasle Family in Japan, one of Falcom's oldest properties and one of few main entries to get an English release back then. Faxanadu is also based off Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu.

The post was edited 2 times, last by irg ().